Ayanbadejo thinks baseball player will come out before football player

Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl XLVII Media Availability Getty Images

Before Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo appeared at a rally at the Supreme Court, he spoke to Erik Brady of USA Today regarding the question of whether a gay NFL player will come out of the closet.

Ayanbadejo believes that it will happen in another sport first.

“I think it will happen in baseball sooner than in football or basketball,” Ayanbadejo said.  “The reason I say that is because I think there is less of a connection to religion in baseball.  The religious roots are a lot deeper in basketball and football.  With that being said, I think baseball players are more open minded.”

Ayanbadejo later acknowledged that he “could be wrong,” but he nevertheless believes baseball players generally are “open-minded and not so tied to religion as much as football and basketball.”

But he also believes the NFL is ready for an openly gay player, and that the league is “laying the foundation for a player to be comfortable and safe.”  Ayanbadejo likewise thinks that last month’s “do you like girls?” controversy from Scouting Combine interviews has helped the situation by forcing the NFL to instruct teams to end potentially discriminatory practices.

Still, the biggest impediment to coming out may come from the external distractions.  The player will have to be willing to bear that burden, and to subject his teammates and others in the organization to questions about the situation.  Most players won’t want that, for themselves or for their teammates.

The media could help reduce that burden by not getting carried away by news of the first gay NFL player.  The reality is that, when a football player comes out of the closet, every media organization will come out of the woodwork in search of sound bites and reactions and, ideally, controversy.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
51 Responses to “Ayanbadejo thinks baseball player will come out before football player”
  1. sun602 says: Mar 26, 2013 8:57 PM

I could be wrong but what I think he wants to say, without actually being able to say it, is that baseball has more of a white presence relative to basketball and football and thus would be more open to it.

2. Mr. Wright 212 says: Mar 26, 2013 8:59 PM

So Ayanbadejo is the NFL player that everyone was speculating about. Not news, with all his haggling in the media about this, but why is he going way out of bounds here?

3. Soulman45 says: Mar 26, 2013 9:01 PM

Frist
    Brendon Ayanbadejo why are you fighting so hard is it a person close to you?

4. goldenperspective says: Mar 26, 2013 9:07 PM

Just because I don’t support gay marraige I am a bigot? Thats funny. I’ve hired gay people before and treated them with the same respect as all of my other employees. I have even had discussions with them about this very issue, in a respectful manner. I think you are mistaking my firmness in my beliefs with bigotry. In fact, me being called a bigot , narrow minded, and stupid makes you the bigot my friend. Just because my beliefs are that gay marriage is wrong, does not mean I am throwing mud at gay people or calling them names, or discriminating in anyway.

5. nyyjetsknicks says: Mar 26, 2013 9:08 PM

It’s not like Spanish people aren’t religious at all…Whatever sport has the highest intelligence (and by default least religious) will be the sport where someone comes out first.

6. nyyjetsknicks says: Mar 26, 2013 9:10 PM

Soulman45 says:
    Mar 26, 2013 9:01 PM
    Frist
    Brendon Ayanbadejo why are you fighting so hard is it a person close to you?

_____________

Exactly! If it doesn’t affect you personally you shouldn’t care. I mean, it’s just treating people equally. It’s not even that big of a deal.

7. bobzilla1001 says: Mar 26, 2013 9:10 PM

Why must anyone “come out”? I don’t want to know who is or who isn’t gay. Don’t ask, don’t tell. Pretty simple.

8. niners816 says: Mar 26, 2013 9:12 PM

Enough of the gay stuff, talk about football.

9. themagicman1223 says: Mar 26, 2013 9:13 PM

Of course, Baseball is such a sissy sport.

10. themagicman1223 says: Mar 26, 2013 9:14 PM

In fact it shouldn’t even be qualified as a sport. Hockey and Football are the best.

11. raynman49 says: Mar 26, 2013 9:17 PM

So he’s waiting for a baseball player, so he won’t be the first? Why is this guy beating this drum so hard??

12. tfbuckfutter says: Mar 26, 2013 9:20 PM

Pretty sure the is a heavy Catholic contingency in baseball.

And I’m also pretty sure 95% of that “religious” community in the NFL hasn’t set foot in a church since before their teen years if at all.

13. turkjones says: Mar 26, 2013 9:23 PM

Saying Ayanbadejo is gay because of his support for marriage equality is like saying all white people who marched in the ’60s were closeted African-Americans.

14. patfic15 says: Mar 26, 2013 9:25 PM

This is how Brendon will stay employed.

15. Stiller43 says: Mar 26, 2013 9:26 PM

Goldenperspective,

But it also means you (and people like you) should be entitled to something more than people different than you.

Obviously, that goes on with a lot of things (people that dont murder people are afforded more things than people that do, for example), but the point he’s trying to make is that theres nothing wrong with being gay, and they shouldnt have any restrictions upon them for being born like that.

16. zappaisgod says: Mar 26, 2013 9:28 PM

There are 32 owners praying it not’s one of their players.

17. i, flounder says: Mar 26, 2013 9:30 PM

is this the new i’m not racist i have a black friend?

18. dalucks says: Mar 26, 2013 9:30 PM

Does Brendan Ayanbedoja have any highlights of plays he made on the football field? Where is he on the Ravens depth chart with the lose of Ray Lewis and Paul Kruger? How does the addition of Elvis Dumervil help Brendan on the football field?
    Brendan’s claim to fame is becoming a distraction because the media is talking more about him off the field instead of his play on the field.

19. dontouchmyjunk says: Mar 26, 2013 9:32 PM

20. randallflagg52 says: Mar 26, 2013 9:41 PM

I’ll be a tie. Ryan Braun and Aaron Rodgers will come out on the same day, when they reveal their relationship.

21. goldenperspective says: Mar 26, 2013 9:45 PM

@goldenperspective, Yes, you are everything you think you are not. If you advocate denying equal rights to a group then you are being intolerant and that is the very definition of a bigot. jeesh.—————————————————-

If that makes me a bigot, I wear it with pride on my sleeve.

22. nyyjetsknicks says: Mar 26, 2013 9:45 PM

zappaisgod says:
    Mar 26, 2013 9:28 PM
    There are 32 owners praying it not’s one of their players.

________________

Owners with teams in fly over states may be worried. Teams in the northeast and west coast won’t care. Woody Johnson might just sign a gay player for the attention.

23. i, flounder says: Mar 26, 2013 9:46 PM

i think my favorite part of this delusion is that he thinks these employees want to hear his rantings, and that he thinks they find it a respectful discussion, when in fact they’re just biting their tongues because they want to keep picking up a paycheck. behind your back those people think the opposite of what you’re portraying yourself as. they think you’re a bigot, and a blowhard.

24. sschmiggles says: Mar 26, 2013 9:46 PM

Just because I don’t support gay marraige I am a bigot?
    __________________________

Yes, you’re a bigot.

As an example, you can hire all the racial minorities you want, but if you have a problem with interracial relationships, it says a lot about how prejudiced you are.

Why would you have a problem with gay marriage, unless you had a problem with gay people?

If you don’t want people to call you a bigot, then stop being one.

25. pilot2011 says: Mar 26, 2013 9:47 PM

I hate how people like Ayenbadejo boast upon their world view of being “open minded”, thus insinuating they are more intelligent than the rest of us.

It’s your opinion that what you believe is right, as is its my opinion that what you say is wrong. I’m not calling you stupid, so please don’t call me stupid… You should be a little more open minded.

26. cmonelisha says: Mar 26, 2013 9:51 PM

this guy obv has to keep using this controversial topic to keep himself in the papers bec i damn sure have no idea he is on an NFL level.. what has this guy ever done?

27. goldenperspective says: Mar 26, 2013 9:55 PM

—————————————
    My favorite part is that you think I prompted the discussions. I just participated and bit my tongue. You are a blowhard.

28. sampulls says: Mar 26, 2013 10:00 PM

sschmiggles
    Anyone who doesn’t share your opinion is a bigot?
    Interesting.
    Maybe you should take a look at the definition of bigotry.

29. tfbuckfutter says: Mar 26, 2013 10:13 PM

goldenperspective says: Mar 26, 2013 9:55 PM

—————————————

—————————

You had a respectful conversation that involved one side biting it’s tongue?

Yeah, that is the definition of a “respectful conversation.”

30. jameslongstaffe says: Mar 26, 2013 10:13 PM

Ayanbedejo is speaking for people that have no voice because of prejudice. There is no difference between this & any other form of discrimination. Look at the history books to see who will win in the end… the NFL is not the example for the rest of society.

31. xxwhodatxx says: Mar 26, 2013 10:15 PM

I guess if you can’t make an impact on the field you try elsewhere.

32. ebrownwareagle says: Mar 26, 2013 10:15 PM

Why R sooooo many people in an up Roar because some people Don’t support The Gay Life style?! From all that I have notice Gay people have the rights and liberties to Speak as they feel. Yet, when someone speaks against that lifestyle and or show no support. The agenda button is push. And you become apart of the worse people in the world… So called bigots who are hiding behind the Bible. Just a thought.

33. jameslongstaffe says: Mar 26, 2013 10:21 PM

It was not long ago the United States supported slavery. There is no difference, when you consider yourself superior to another person who has done nothing except be themselves.

34. goldenperspective says: Mar 26, 2013 10:23 PM

If you don’t want people to call you a bigot, then stop being one.———————————————–

This is such a weak argument I am going to throw up and look for something more intelligent to debate within my pile of vomit. A bigot wouldn’t talk to or give the time of day to someone he is a bigot towards.
    It is possible to love people and not approve of their decisions.Is it my place to tell them I disapprove. Absolutely not. Can I give them my opinion if asked about a subject? I sure can. If you are scared of the answer, do not ask the question. If your going to speak about someone different than yourself, it is extremely important not to speak down to them. It is quite possible to have discussions with heterogeneous groups that don’t have people spewing hatred and intolerance. Public speaking 101.

35. sschmiggles says: Mar 26, 2013 10:26 PM

Anyone who doesn’t share your opinion is a bigot?
    ___________________________

You’re intolerant and discriminatory towards some group. That’s the definition of a bigot.

Stop hiding behind the word “opinion” and admit to being who you really are.

People like you are the ones who coined phrases like “separate but equal.” It’s not racism, it’s just an opinion, right?

36. gerard33 says: Mar 26, 2013 10:26 PM

Oh yeah, those Latin American guys are total atheists

37. sadskinsfan89 says: Mar 26, 2013 10:30 PM

Wait is this a SPORTS site? I

38. pillowporkers says: Mar 26, 2013 11:00 PM

I just hate when people who are for gay marriage say “what’s the difference between being racist and not being for gay marriage?”

Skin color is based on how you were born. It is unchanging, obvious, and easily definitive.

Sexual orientation is based on ACTIONS you perform privately. It is not necessarily unchanging (I work at a gay bar, more than one person has changed their sexual identity within the year I’ve worked there), not obvious, and not easily definitive. What about bisexuals? Should we allow two men and a woman to be married?

Just because I don’t agree with gay marriage doesn’t make me hate gay people. Saying that will never fly with the pro gay marriage supporters. Except I’ve been to a coworkers’ gay “wedding”, I’ve been to gay pride, and I’ve worked at a gay bar. Not many that are for gay marriage are that educated first hand.

39. eagles512 says: Mar 26, 2013 11:27 PM

I love how people who are supposedly so open minded call someone against gay marriage a bigot. If you really were open minded you’d understand people can have different views and beliefs. I personally am not against gay marriage but just because someone is certainly does not make them a bigot.

40. nyyjetsknicks says: Mar 26, 2013 11:33 PM

pilot2011 says:
    Mar 26, 2013 9:47 PM

__________________

You’re being called a bigot because you are denying American citizens equal right.

For argument sake lets say your next door neighbor are a gay couple who lived together for the last 10 years. If you woke up tomorrow and they got married, how it would have any affect on your life? People are trying to stop something that has zero effect on your life. No one can be “gay” at you.

41. jameslongstaffe says: Mar 26, 2013 11:43 PM

The wrath is yet to come, against those that are happy to hurt others that are innocent. In my lifetime, gay people will be considered equal, & those opposed will suffer for their own disobedience. Pick a side people

42. commonsensedude says: Mar 27, 2013 1:36 AM

Since we don’t seem to be able to avoid mixing politics with pro football …

To the idea that people who don’t support same-sex marriage are bigots, I have the following question: if a person does not believe in same-sex marriage because of their religious belief about the definition of marriage, doesn’t the condemnation of a religious belief (calling those who hold a certain set of beliefs “bigots”) in itself bigotry?

How does anyone not see the irony in the statement “I can’t stand those Christians. They’re bigots.”?

43. profootballfan500 says: Mar 27, 2013 2:06 AM

I find it troubling that Ayanbadejo seemed to specifically link religion to a person’s stance on whether gays should be allowed to marry each other. I don’t dispute that the majority of people backing measures such as Proposition 8 likely do so primarily because of their religious beliefs. However, there are many people, including myself, who cite their religious beliefs as the biggest reason why they support allowing gays the right to marry. So religion is not a divide in this matter, merely one of the reasons people have given in taking a stance on the issue.

44. jessethegreat says: Mar 27, 2013 3:12 AM

So Ayanbadejo is waiting for his partner. Who plays baseball, to exit the closet first? Way to go all chivalrous on us Brandon!

45. patriots420 says: Mar 27, 2013 6:50 AM

I feel like normal people are getting painted as barbarians these days because we don’t agree with far left ideals and this coming from a stoner, at the end of the day they will be able to get married or whatever they are fighting for, I say let them, sure they get to be married and put their um significant other on insurance but they also will face divorce and alimony and splitting your possessions.

There are far more important issues facing this country that a lot more people are interested in like legalizing pot, I’d like to see an anonymous poll of players who support pot or gay marriage more

46. baddegg says: Mar 27, 2013 7:13 AM

Not that there’s anything wrong with it…

47. nananatman says: Mar 27, 2013 8:56 AM

I dunno who would care either way, I mean the rest of the planet typically already has a mastery of “gaydar,” that means gay-radar in case you work under a rock, it isn’t derogatory either they use it too. Referring to gay people as “they” isn’t derogatory either, it just means “them.”

48. redandgoldhitman52 says: Mar 27, 2013 10:18 AM

another bs gay post. stop it already. this is a football site not a gay pride site.
    no1 cares.
    and the “gay player strongly considering coming out” . its this clown ayanpendejo. there, its out there. case closed. move on.

49. goodellmustgo says: Mar 27, 2013 12:49 PM

Aren’t all Soccer players already out?

50. dontstabmeray says: Mar 27, 2013 1:38 PM

Baltimore is the San Fran of the east. You’all remember how mad Omar was when his boy got jacked on the wire?

51. Corey Jeppesen says: Mar 27, 2013 1:56 PM

These quotes are riddled with stereotypes, which is filled with irony.