No rotator cuff surgery “in near future” for Michael Bennett

Michael Bennett AP

Over the weekend, it was revealed that newly signed Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett has been diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff in his shoulder.

Surgery to repair that injury has a recovery time of three to six months, which left open some question as to his availability for offseason work. Seahawks General Manager John Schneider was on the air with KJR in Seattle Tuesday and said that the team knew about Bennett’s injury before signing him. He also said that the team was comfortable that he’d be able to fulfill his end of the deal and that surgery wasn’t planned right now.

“I would think at some point, but not in the near future,” Schneider said when asked about Bennett needing surgery, via John Boyle of the Everett Herald.

Bennett played with the injury last season, when he recorded nine sacks to lead a Buccaneers pass rush without the depth Seattle has in that department. That gives Schneider and the Seahawks plenty of reason to believe he’ll be able to keep playing at a high level despite his injury.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
29 Responses to “No rotator cuff surgery “in near future” for Michael Bennett”
  1. ingraven says: Mar 26, 2013 2:57 PM

No people not the running back who used to play for the Vikings with “World Class Speed”. Not the same guy.

2. richiesaurus310 says: Mar 26, 2013 3:05 PM

I miss Vikings Michael Bennett :( He won me so many games in Madden.

3. ahawkalypse says: Mar 26, 2013 3:08 PM

Why not have the surgery ASAP and get ready for the season. Not a lot to learn in offseason workout for a DE. “Hey Bennett tackle guy with ball right after ball is hiked ok.” Ok coach.

4. tangeuray says: Mar 26, 2013 3:21 PM

7 sacks in 10 games…gets hurt and has 2 in last 6. I’d be concerned.

5. calftermath says: Mar 26, 2013 3:23 PM

Well – I’m sure they’re not postponing surgery just for fun. There is surely a reason, perhaps they want to try PT first to see if surgery is absolutely necessary or not.

I would want to avoid surgery too if I was a professional athlete, it’s not the answer to every injury.

6. heyguru1969 says: Mar 26, 2013 3:26 PM

You have to wonder about what seems like the “effort” Seattle is taking to not have him get the needed surgery. Something doesn’t ring right, but it’s their man and their money.

7. whysomanylosers says: Mar 26, 2013 3:38 PM

My advice to Mr Bennett is to get the surgery now so he can rehab it before his next contract year (oh my bad, this is a contract year again).
    Good luck big guy.

8. ccjcsr says: Mar 26, 2013 3:45 PM

He’ll wait til the season starts to have the surgery! #seahawksRintrouble

9. bk9876 says: Mar 26, 2013 3:51 PM

The stats dont lie. 2 sacks in last 6 games as stated above; when we played New Orleans and then ATL in the last game of year (critical division games) this guy disappeared.

I think Seattle got duped by the media hype machine on Bennet. The bucs didnt even give him an offer\match on the Seattle deal which also is a red flag.

Many people think Dominick is not a good GM. I disagree. He will get Revis at his price also (2014 1st and 3rd rounder). Jets have no leverage and the BUCS could go easily into the season with Ronde B, Wright, Johnson and a first round 2013 pick CB with Gadson at Safety position. I am thinking Dominck may go aggressive again (like last year when he grabbed Martin at end of 1st round) and trade Blount to move up in the draft, who they signed on a sweet 1 year deal perfect for trade bait. The JETS GM doesnt come to reality, which is they have no cap space and a guy on his last year of his contract so ya gonna explain to JETS fan when you get nothing for Revis? Ya hear that J-E-T-S fan! I have to spell it out for JETS fan. Sorry to the regular readers. :))

10. handsomehawk says: Mar 26, 2013 4:10 PM

Hey smart guy..”Duped”?? Bucs didnt want to match the offer? Maybe do some reading before you open your dumpster. Its a 1 year flyer, wouldnt call that being “duped” and the Buc’s weren’t given a chance to match..they actually complained about not having the opportunity to..

Nice try clown

11. simplegodfather says: Mar 26, 2013 4:22 PM

bk9876 :

I beg to disagree.. The Jets only want 1st pick this year from buc and 3rd next year or more.. however, Izzy the Jets GM aint gonna budge bec if he healthy, he worth 2x 1st pick.. so ur already gotten a bargain deal on this, if u cant give, then bye. The Jets GM will get revis trade anytime now until deadline, and/or sign a long term contracts with Revis, after he realized nobody want his 15 mil contract, and settle for 10mil a year.. it be all good.

12. abqpacker says: Mar 26, 2013 4:30 PM

Michael Bennett has been known for several years as an above-average run stopper. His sacks last year were a bonus. I’m pretty sure the Seahawks know what they are getting.

13. bk9876 says: Mar 26, 2013 4:37 PM

hawk—

YES HAWK YOUR TEAM GOT DUPED; 1 year at 5 MM you got duped when Schefter is reporting his injury 10 days later after the ink is dry! I will be looking for your SEA excuse machine when he doesn’t make it through training camp and ends up on IR.

If you read the WHOLE article, yes it said Bennett didnt offer the BUCS a chance to match….but that was a result of anger after not being made an offer AT ALL during free agency by the bucs, the team he wanted to stay on. We gave him his shot…he got hurt and didnt produce in crunch time (0 sacks and 4 tackles v Saints and Falcons). He got 2 sacks vs. Philly, who may have the worst OL in the league. Outa here. The NFL is biz.

I know it hurts when your team makes stupid moves….but dont be an ass about it and start name calling like a 5 year old. Grow a pair and then join us on here. How about some facts in between your rant next time?

14. bk9876 says: Mar 26, 2013 4:46 PM

simplegodfather–

I agree with your premise on the picks…only Dominick and Izzy know for sure but it will be something like that or 2014 (bucs offer). However, I do take issue with this “bec IF HE is HEALTHY” is the Jets BIG problem is that they wont know that until about mid-June and the bucs will have moved on by then. Revis just started running this week, which isnt a huge endorsement that he is healthy for playing in NFL. Value is based on perception he will be able to perform at the same HOF level he did in the past and until he plays a few games with success…nobody will know if that is true or not. Hence the jets are in a real bind as a result. Its common knowledge Woody (owner) doesnt want Revis, which is also a factor. The JETS dont have the cap space to sign Revis to long term deal. That is a fact as reported by NY Post a few days ago.

15. bouchez9393 says: Mar 26, 2013 4:46 PM

he will get hurt in the first game, and then have surgery, that way he collects his money from the insurance company and the seahawks don’t have to pay him. Win/Win for both sides….. except for the Seahawk’s insurance company!

16. tbone4444 says: Mar 26, 2013 4:50 PM

I’m pretty sure Pete and John know what they are doing. They have proven time and time these past three years that they are head and shoulders above everyone in this league….

17. bk9876 says: Mar 26, 2013 4:53 PM

bouchez…. I dont think insurance companies pay for player injuries unless the player takes out a private policy like the 1st rounders (top 5) do prior to the draft.

However, I think the NFLPA\player and the team come to an injury settlement, which is always less than the contractual terms. However, I am pretty sure the full 5MM will count against the cap for this year for SEA.

This is an area for Florio…he is a lawyer.

18. seaeagle707 says: Mar 26, 2013 5:01 PM

I love it how people who are NOT in the business always seem to feel that they know more than those who are. Bennett, was not a premiere pickup for the Hawks, was never intended to be. I am quite sure that Schneider and Carroll, knew all about the injury before they offered him a slot. Just because it took a journalist 10-days to find out, there’s no reason to expect that he knew more than the management in Renton. Ask Clare Farnsworth.

19. wrenches2pipes says: Mar 26, 2013 5:06 PM

We the FANS are the insurance company. You pay, I pay, all into premiums, that pays his settlement.Think about it.

20. simplegodfather says: Mar 26, 2013 5:20 PM

bk9876 says: Mar 26, 2013 4:46 PM

simplegodfather–

you almost right on every thing, but jets caps, they are about 10 million free caps now, and they can barely squeeze revis now if revis agreed to 10 mil, which he isnt right now, but could during season..
    However, Revis was injured at week 6, so he had alot time to rest and rehab better than any players torn their acl late season, so I believe Revis can be same player as before, just like AP still a beast mode…

21. ringwormsherm says: Mar 26, 2013 5:41 PM

@BK9876- It truly is funny hearing you talk about stupid moves the hawks made. This front office has pulled off some of the better moves in the NFL in the past three years. And to make it worse, it’s a bucs fan saying this. SMH. Have fun sitting in the depths of mediocrity with your team. GO HAWKS!

22. harrin42 says: Mar 26, 2013 5:42 PM

Bennett was signed to a one year deal, obviously the Seahawks aren’t looking for a lot of playing time with him. No big deal if it doesn’t work out, there’s more than one d-lineman on their roster.

23. rippa941 says: Mar 26, 2013 6:09 PM

Sehawks fans are making poor excuses…your GM got Played! ! He didn’t know he was hurt…he is lying when he says he knew about the injury….why would you pay a hurt defensive end the SAME money you paid a HEATHY defensive end(cliff avril) who is a better player??? And yes avril contract is 2yrs for a total $10.4 million dollars before incentives. Bennett signed the contract, then it leaked out that he has been hurt….in the words of Bennett “I didn’t give tampa a chance to match because they acted like they didn’t want me”..I wonder why hmmm… and not to mention a member of Tampa’s training/injury staff left for the dolphins after the season, and I winder why Miami Didn’t offer Bennett a contract…hmmm

24. justbust says: Mar 26, 2013 6:22 PM

I tore my rot cuff 3 years ago , if ur a gym rat you can keep the muscles around it real strong , at that point it’s just a pain factor. They never truly heal without surgery though, he’ll do fine without the surgery but will have to do it eventually or it’s gonna get to the point where all the muscule in the world won’t overcompensate for the tear.

25. handsomehawk says: Mar 26, 2013 6:42 PM

bk9876

You’re a moron who is in denial..might as well be a Niner fan..by the way..who the hell is “Gadson”? Maybe you meant Goldson?

You have no QB, you reference a 38 yr old Safety in Barber..you’re team is terrible…we’ll enjoy looking back in the at you in the distance from our rear view mirrors.

Get a job and stay off blogs you know nothing about

26. rippa941 says: Mar 26, 2013 7:28 PM

@hawk and al@ringworm….the nerve of you guys to talk about tampa…you guys have 1 little lucky season aided by with a “Hail-Mary” and you guys diserespect tampa..hey I got some numbers for ya. . Tampa has 1 superbowl. .Seattle has …. I’ll wait.. I’m still waiting…..ok and secondly in the last 5 years we are 33-46 and you guys are 34-47…..you guys are talking like your a dynasty. ..and lastly fir the majority of the last 10years you guys played in arguably the WEAKEST division in ALL of sports…You guys need to know what your talking about before you talk

27. bk9876 says: Mar 26, 2013 9:17 PM

handsome-

I will let the record speak for itself. When Bennett is hurt before the end of training camp…you be sure to come back here and apologize.

When you said, we have no QB…you lost ALL CREDIBILITY… so I wont say too much more.

Freeman had 27 TDs
    Wilson had 26 TDs…

Sorry I didnt get the spelling perfect on Goldson for you Grandma. He has been our team a whole 2 weeks perfectionist.

PS- I was WORKING hence my late response. lol

28. beastmode5150 says: Mar 27, 2013 5:12 PM

The best GM in the NFL got played? Wow, some of you need to start following soccer or something…

29. bk9876 says: Mar 28, 2013 8:28 AM

Schneider the best GM in nfl? Now that is laughable.

The guy didn’t win GM of the year yet by his own peers and he is the best GM in the nfl? It don’t add up.

Bleacher report has him ranked 12th. Not even top 10.

Ozzie newsome is much better so is Reese from NYG. I’d like to say my guy Dominick is better but I’d say about the same as Schneider. Still a young guy learning.

I’d say the jets stole your best front office guy this year in izzy. Sounds like he was the real genius behind the scenes. Lets see how your offseason draft goes this year before you crown him king.

One more thing on Bennett injury he also has a really bad ankle but that hasn’t been figured out by your GM of the year.