Russell Wilson hosting passing camp for Seahawks receivers

Divisional Playoffs - Seattle Seahawks v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

When the Seahawks acquired wide receiver Percy Harvin in a trade earlier this month, quarterback Russell Wilson spoke to him to schedule some offseason workouts.

Those workouts are on the books and they’ll be other Seahawks joining the two men in Southern California in early April. It’s something we’ve seen more teams doing with limits placed on offseason team work (although Harvin opted not to join Christian Ponder when Ponder was a rookie) in the CBA and Wilson explained that he’s just hoping to get a leg up on next season.

“Just get together and throw, and just get our minds ready and our bodies ready for a great season,” Wilson said, via the team’s website. “The team we’re going to have next season is very exciting. But it’s a new year and it’s going to present new challenges. I think the key is guys staying healthy, guys getting ready for the season and really preparing – mentally and physically.”

It’s the next step of the maturation process for Wilson, who steadily took on more and more of a leadership role during his rookie season. He was the unquestioned leader of the team by the end of the season and doing things like organizing offseason workouts is only going to further cement him in that role.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
43 Responses to “Russell Wilson hosting passing camp for Seahawks receivers”
  1. briandorry55 says: Mar 26, 2013 10:55 AM

This kid is going to win multiple Super Bowls…a little jealous of the Seahawks at this point.

2. onearmsteven says: Mar 26, 2013 10:56 AM

what starting NFL qb doesn’t do this is the better question?

3. drock36 says: Mar 26, 2013 10:57 AM

He is a real leader- a Pro Bowler for years to come!

4. mataug says: Mar 26, 2013 11:01 AM

how many QBs don’t do this already ?

5. geemoney713 says: Mar 26, 2013 11:01 AM

Nearly all young qbs do this. Especially the good ones. Didn’t RG3 meet with his receivers last year before official workouts?

6. kylexitron says: Mar 26, 2013 11:09 AM

The difference between Russell Wilson doing this and ‘other guys’ doing this is that a year ago everyone had Wilson pegged as a late-round pick who would be a 2nd or 3rd stringer rather than a guy who tied Peyton Manning’s rookie TD pass record and finished the season with a 100+ QB rating and for all intents and purposes, should have won OROY.

7. rightwingguy says: Mar 26, 2013 11:17 AM

Dear Seattle, thanks for over paying Percy and giving us 3 picks, he’s such a diva. We are much better with Greg Jennings

8. themackstrong says: Mar 26, 2013 11:25 AM

Its easy for anyone to cheer for Wilson because he is your classic underdog but is a proven winner with great leadership qualities. Last year he was competing with two other QB’s for snaps to start the year all the way to last game of the pre-season. Seattle put major limits on the passing game to the point it hurt the team and cost us a few close games. By mid-point the playbook was opened up and they started braking 50 year old records (two of three games were top 10 defenses) in that hot streak. Without question he is going to grow with Tate/Harvin/Baldin/Rice/Miller. Wow top to bottom they have one of the best skill position talent in football. Long day coming for us Seahawk fans.

9. thesmartestmanever says: Mar 26, 2013 11:28 AM

oh, well why not just ship the Lombardi to Seattle now call off the whole season. see you guys in 2014. Russell Wilson is putting on a thing with his receivers in southern California.

10. ahawkalypse says: Mar 26, 2013 11:31 AM

You can keep the 2-3 inches in height. I’ll take this kids work ethic and brains all day. Go Seahawks!

11. hcat44 says: Mar 26, 2013 11:34 AM

No time to sleep!!! Go Hawks!!

That is all

12. hehateme2 says: Mar 26, 2013 11:48 AM

They need ALL the help they can get. Fluke season?

13. dennisatunity says: Mar 26, 2013 11:48 AM

It’s hard to tell how many other QBs do that. I was curious myself, so I looked at the different 49ers sites and Rams sites. I do not see it mentioned on those sites. It is mentioned here on ProFootballTalk and the Seahawks sites. I’d have to guess within the NFC West it must be uncommon. I would say that Kaepernick appears to be highly skilled but I don’t see him as a leader. I am surprised to not see Bradford doing something like that.

14. hcat44 says: Mar 26, 2013 11:59 AM

In response to above its because kaep is apparently too buy working on his gun show lol

15. commonsensedude says: Mar 26, 2013 12:01 PM

I hate the Seahawks but love Wilson. Great kid and good leader.

16. barroomhero80 says: Mar 26, 2013 12:01 PM

U mean he’s going to try and pass instead of just running it himself?

17. seattlelgt says: Mar 26, 2013 12:07 PM

I think the real point of this article is to point out how much of a leader this young kid really is at such a young age. Sure, a lot of starting QB’s do the same. I’m not sure all 32 do, but it’s the fact that he is young, going into his second season in the pros and exemplifies everything you want in a starting QB. There have been a lot of QB’s in league history that turned out to be huge busts and it mostly came down to their attitude and work ethic. Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell come to mind. RW made up his mind years ago that he wants to be successful and is putting 200% effort into obtaining that goal. The league needs more Russell Wilsons and less Michael Vicks.

18. dunkindan says: Mar 26, 2013 12:12 PM

Bradford has 50MM +

can you really be motivated after that?

19. calicokiller49 says: Mar 26, 2013 12:15 PM

I hate, absolutely hate the Seahawks, and I hope they burn in flames, I gotta admit Wilson without a doubt should’ve won rookie of the year, unfortunately he is a lot better ,than I would like him to be.

20. h1ndrix says: Mar 26, 2013 12:21 PM

He should spend the summer listening to Motley Crue and hanging by his arms from his bedroom doorframe. I grew a couple of inches in Junior High doing that.

21. truthassassin says: Mar 26, 2013 12:21 PM

Russell Wilson is good, I’m not arguing with that… but I would like to see just how good he would have been with the Colts or Redskins defense instead of that stud defense he has (and which will be even better this coming season)… when your defense dominates every game, even Trent Dilfer can win a superbowl

22. ccjcsr says: Mar 26, 2013 12:25 PM

Let’s see if he still has that same desire if he joins the 20 mill a yr QB when hs rookie contract expires, that seems to be the going trend

23. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Mar 26, 2013 12:45 PM

Remember this post when Wilson completes only 50% of his passes this year and has 30 picks. If it can happen to Eli Manning, it sure as heck can happen to this little guy.

Seahwaks go 9-7 at best!

24. anarchopurplism says: Mar 26, 2013 12:46 PM

Nice that Percy is such a stand up guy now. ;)

He is a baller, but I doubt the trade will seen as valuable in 2015.

Should be fine 2014

25. hotrod37 says: Mar 26, 2013 12:49 PM

@ truthassassin: The difference is, even with a dominant defense, Wilson and the offense still put up serious amounts of points. Trent Dilfer and the Ravens of 2000 did not. Wilson is by no means a game manager…he is a game changer.

26. wenellniners says: Mar 26, 2013 12:51 PM

____________

you didn’t research very well. kaepernick organized a workout for his receivers one week after the superbowl loss.

he’s in atlanta right now with many of the 49ers’ receivers.

27. judsonjr says: Mar 26, 2013 1:00 PM

Pretty much all QBs do this if they have a new receiving corps.

If you have had the same group of guys for 2 or 3 years, you don’t really need to do this.

28. nyjallfingday says: Mar 26, 2013 1:14 PM

@judsonjr

Yep, even Sanchez has been doing it for years. Still, it’s a good start.

29. goldrush36 says: Mar 26, 2013 1:15 PM

Oh god here we go with the nobody else does this crap. Is there anything delusional hawks won’t say? Yes RW has great work ethic. He’s far from the only one. Top players at every position usually do. There are very few that got there off sheer ability. For the record though while RW was making red carpet appearances, Kaepernick already had his receivers in Atlanta. So what’s next? “Oh why did he have to go to Atlanta to train?”

30. thefirstweaponofchoice says: Mar 26, 2013 1:16 PM

It is irritating seeing all these 9er fans posting on a Seahawks page… Go away… Trolls.

31. iluvbears says: Mar 26, 2013 1:21 PM

Anybody want to bet how long it takes for Harvin & Tate to mix it up at this passing camp? It WILL happen, I guarantee.

32. truthassassin says: Mar 26, 2013 1:26 PM

@hotrod37: I’m not saying Russell Wilson is a game manager, he is 100% better than Trent Dilfer ever was. Read my comment again. All I’m saying is that since we keep comparing him to Luck and RG3, I would love to have seen him play on the Colts or Redskins this past year since their defenses are no way near as good as the Seahawks’ and we all know that great defenses make the offense run A LOT smoother… Personally, I think he still would have been good but I don’t think he would have had as good a season if he were on the Colts or Skins. I don’t think the Colts or Skins would have made the playoffs with him as the QB… He still would have been good, but I doubt he would have put up the same numbers he did this past year in Seattle… The true test of a good QB is when he can play with a crap team and make them great – just like Luck and RG3 did. Russell Wilson plays with a great defense. When I think of why the Colts and Skins are good I think, “stud QBs, Luck, RG3″ but when I think of why the Seahawks are good, I think “Amazing Defense and a solid QB”. Big difference

33. therealsmiley says: Mar 26, 2013 1:29 PM

I think most QBs in the NFL do this every season…at least the good ones. Hail!

34. fuglyflorio says: Mar 26, 2013 1:48 PM

Who else is getting sick and tired of Russell Wilson?

35. goldrush36 says: Mar 26, 2013 1:53 PM

Lol seahawks fan complaining about niners fans trolling their articles.. oh now that is rich. Try going back and looking at 49ers posts and how many hawk trolls show up.

36. andyreidsskinnyjeans says: Mar 26, 2013 1:59 PM

Russell wilson rules

37. 49erforlife says: Mar 26, 2013 2:13 PM

Girls, girls… you are both pretty.

Face facts that fans will root for their teams and thier QB’s. This is a great time for the NFC West. Great teams, young talented QB’s, and a boiling up rivalry. This will be fun for a few years to come.

Go NFC West! Dominate the NFL.

38. zombiefan1000 says: Mar 26, 2013 2:23 PM

pats fan here. LOVE this kid!!!!

39. mikeinsanfran says: Mar 26, 2013 3:26 PM

dennisatunity – Kaepernick has been with his receivers throwing and training in ATL as of 3 weeks ago. THREE WEEKS AGO. Go sell crazy someplace else.

40. rublestiltzkin says: Mar 26, 2013 6:24 PM

rightwingguy says:Mar 26, 2013 11:17 AM

———————————————————
    umm….. you’re welcome? is this guy serious?

thesmartestmanever says:Mar 26, 2013 11:28 AM

———————————————————-
    sweet, ya, good call. you know the zip code right?

thereisfootballwestofjersey says:Mar 26, 2013 12:45 PM

Seahwaks go 9-7 at best!
    ———————————————————-
    says the seahawks lifetime hater who can’t even spell seahawks properly. 30 picks, funniest part!

fuglyflorio says:Mar 26, 2013 1:48 PM

Who else is getting sick and tired of Russell Wilson?
    ———————————————————
    pretty much everyone who has to play against him, plus you, and a few thousand haters

goldrush36 says:Mar 26, 2013 1:53 PM

———————————————————-
    reminds me of like, a 9 year old who cheap shot kicks you in the back, and then after you kick him square in the stomach back, he cries to his mom to narc YOU out.

Oh ya, by the way, Russell Wilson would’ve taken either Indy or Washington to the playoffs. He may have even taken Jacksonville there.

41. themackstrong says: Mar 26, 2013 10:55 PM

Percy Harvin was basically in the running for MVP with AP before he got hurt vs Seattle. I bet you I can go back in the posts about the time and Viking fans talking about how great he was playing and yet they now claim happy he’s gone. There are no quotes of Percy Harvin talking to the media about how bad your QB is and the world can see he’s terrible. I’m sure there aren’t many Ponder jerseys selling out there in confidence because it’s laughable. Harvin talked to his management and coaching staff in private- they leaked that information. Don’t worry in a couple of years if that 1st and 3rd turn out to be good they can join our roster in a couple of years. Go Hawks!

42. jdubb84 says: Mar 27, 2013 1:36 AM