Torrey Smith moonlights as Congressional intern

Smith AP

Torrey Smith is giving new meaning to the term “political football.”  (Yeah, I said it.)

Smith, the Ravens’ wideout who bumps up to No. 1 on the depth chart with the trade of Anquan Boldin, has swapped football for politics this month, serving as a Congressional intern.

Via the Ravens’ official website, Smith is helping U.S. Representative Elijah Cummings, a Democrat from Maryland.  Coincidentally, Cummings has been pushing the NFLPA to agree to the implementation of HGH testing, threatening in January to call players to testify before the committee Cummings chairs with Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Cal.).

Smith explained that he’s “the office guy,” filing documents and reading letters and doing other administrative tasks.  He said that his objective was simple — to expand his horizons and make the most of his time.

“It’s about seeing what’s out there,” Smith said.  “As an athlete I feel like I always said, ‘Man, I can’t wait ’til I can just play football and I don’t have to worry about school.’  Now that all we do is work out and you have the rest of the day, I feel like I’m limiting myself if I don’t do anything else.”

He’s right.  With a reduced offseason workload under the new CBA, more players should spend their down time exploring other industries and workplaces, so that when the time comes to make a fairly significant career transition, they’ll be ready.

Still, the NFLPA may be more than a little nervous about the conversations that Smith and Cummings may have regarding what players want (and what they know) when it comes to the use of and testing for HGH.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Torrey Smith moonlights as Congressional intern”
  1. ravenator says: Mar 26, 2013 10:05 AM

What a PR dream. Haters wish they had Torrey Smith on their team. How many ignorant proclamations were made when he was drafted by the Ravens. Guy is a straight burner and now he’s adding all kind of routs to his arsenal. Cheers!

2. killerstiller says: Mar 26, 2013 10:08 AM

You will not find a better young man in the NFL! Unfortunately, atheletes & other stars are held up as role models in our society. I think role models should come from the family & neighborhood you live in. My Father is & always has been my role model. I’m lucky & I know it. Many children are not so lucky these days. If they need a moral compass or role model, look no further than Torrey Smith!

3. deceman20 says: Mar 26, 2013 10:11 AM

Torrey is the man! Definitely a good role model and far from your typical diva WR.

4. mjkelly77 says: Mar 26, 2013 10:20 AM

Very cool.

5. classyjacklambert says: Mar 26, 2013 10:22 AM

Yes Ravenator, because if there is a better place for role models than the NFL, it’s definitely Congress lol.

6. johnnyjagfan says: Mar 26, 2013 10:27 AM

Great story. “The office guy” is humble. Ain’t too proud to spend a semester making copies. He’ll learn a ton.

7. uvmcatamounts says: Mar 26, 2013 10:32 AM

Torrey certainly seems like a great dude. Crazy thing is, he doesn’t drink or smoke. Now, personally, I do both. But I still applaud his discipline.

8. steelbydesign says: Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM

Came here to comment, even as a Steelers fan, gotta love Torrey. Seems like a great dude.

But I still think Ravenator is a tool.

9. titansbro says: Mar 26, 2013 10:51 AM

I like this guy but ravenator makes me want to hate him.

10. gjones33 says: Mar 26, 2013 10:59 AM

the NFLPA is nervous because this guy knows what’s good. I’m not even a ravens fan and I can tell this kid is sharp. the NFLPA should be nervous because it knows how pervasive abuse of it is…good old Rodger and his illegal wiretapping team probably do too…both sides just know they don’t want congress involved..cause as with everything else in america…once they get involved..whatever was working fine by being handled in house automatically gets blown up and regulated by state employees..aka ruined

11. bbb82 says: Mar 26, 2013 11:00 AM

Good for Smith. More athletes should follow suit and learn what it’s like to work in the real world.

12. clssylssy says: Mar 26, 2013 11:03 AM

Always happy to see NFL players dispelling the myth that they are overpaid dumb muscle by venturing beyond the football field to widen their horizens with involvement in “real life”. Torrey joins an elite group of players who has worked in the off season with people like Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Roddy White for humanitarian programs and now is getting an up close look at our judicial process. It’s great to have players like these guys as role models since not every child is fortunate enough to have two parents and need a positive male influence to look up to. A lot of NFL players like Kurt Warner, Matt Leinert, and Tony Gonzales, (just a few) have charities for kids but we never hear about them or get a glimpse of these important off field
    efforts. Good job players and nice article Mike!

13. frosted21 says: Mar 26, 2013 11:05 AM

Wonder if he would have scored the internship if he wasn’t a professional athlete..

14. dublindemonszfl says: Mar 26, 2013 11:08 AM

Very impressive Mr. Smith, keep it up. Force more positive stories about the quality players in the NFL. We’re all sick of the idiots making the press in detrimental fashion. It just gives the hater more ammo.

15. haterade999 says: Mar 26, 2013 11:10 AM

Torrey Smith wears his heart on his sleeve and is a different breed of athlete. If you want to see him interact with fans, and enjoy some good laughs, follow his twitter account. It’s engaging.

16. mazblast says: Mar 26, 2013 11:29 AM

He doesn’t need money, and he has a broader horizon than just football and buying stuff. Plus, he can actually play ball. He may play for my team’s arch-rival, but thumbs up to Torrey.

17. gochargersgo says: Mar 26, 2013 11:37 AM

Good for Torrey. Now we just need to get ravenator a job so he can stop trolling these message boards and finally move out of his parents basement.

18. turdfurgerson68 says: Mar 26, 2013 11:47 AM

Another example of someone wealthy and connected getting a job that thousands of less connected young folk would die for.

19. patfanken says: Mar 26, 2013 1:02 PM

I may think that he’s over rated as a WR (Good but not great), but good for him. This is the kind of story I like to read about. Not only is he doing helping the congressman’s constituents, he is learning a little about the real life that exists beyond sheltered life of an NFL starter.

Clearly he’s the kind of kid that’s easy to root for, and I for one will always hope for the best for him. All he needs to do now is get a haircut. :D

20. kittyo says: Mar 26, 2013 1:12 PM

I’m a die hard Ravens fan and “Ravenator” is an embarrassment to all of us and should be ignored. Kudos to Torrey Smith for being a fine role model.

21. scoobies05 says: Mar 26, 2013 1:55 PM

so tired of the double standard. when an athlete does something bad he is vilified. when he does something good he is vilified. torrey smith is an intern…he didnt take a paying job from anyone. good job torrey

22. mediasloppy says: Mar 26, 2013 4:17 PM

Good for him and I hope even better for me when I grab him in Fantasy Football next season.

23. randallflagg52 says: Mar 26, 2013 5:57 PM

Love me some Torrey Smith. Classiest guy in the league.