Ansah to attend Draft rather than graduation

Ziggy Ansah AP

Score another one for commerce over education.

Brigham Young defensive end Ziggy Ansah was planning to spend April 25 walking through a graduation ceremony, but has decided to walk across the stage to get a man-hug from Roger Goodell instead.

“I wasn’t going to go [to the draft]. I was going to be educational — I’ve got to walk at my graduation,” Ansah told Lindsay Jones of USA Today. “But then I got the invitation from the NFL, and I have my friends telling me, ‘What the heck is wrong with you? You’re going to go walk? Don’t be stupid.’ “

To put the minds of the academic purists at ease, Ansah will still receive his degree in actuarial science at a later ceremony, perhaps this summer.

And he’ll put that degree to use counting the money he makes as a high first-round pick.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Ansah to attend Draft rather than graduation”
  1. pnut87 says: Mar 27, 2013 2:34 PM

This is a decision I would love to have to make. If the NFL really wanted to be awesome, they’d hand him his degree along with his new jersey.

2. Mr. Wright 212 says: Mar 27, 2013 2:36 PM

Please move up to get him, Reese.

3. dwnhillwhaler says: Mar 27, 2013 2:37 PM

Better listen to those friends, you’ll be calling them dependents soon.

4. anarchopurplism says: Mar 27, 2013 2:38 PM

Look forward, not back son!

BTW- education is a niche within commerce?

5. jaxlin says: Mar 27, 2013 2:46 PM

Actuarial science? Good for him! If he paid attention in class this degree will get him far in life after football if he so choses.

6. tambrady says: Mar 27, 2013 2:50 PM

Nice degree! Smart kid!

7. jets4gold says: Mar 27, 2013 2:52 PM

this is the problem with sports. Playing is mire important than education. your career can be taken away but your education stays with you forever. I’m not surprised to see that. It’s a shame really

8. Burritto says: Mar 27, 2013 2:57 PM

Wow. That’s a really impressive degree. Good for him.

9. mjclementz says: Mar 27, 2013 2:59 PM

I didn’t even know what actuarial science was until I looked it up on wikipedia. Sounds horrifically dull, good thing he’s got a bright future in football.

10. JSpicoli says: Mar 27, 2013 2:59 PM

So in today’s FUBAR culture, it is considered being an “academic purist” if you value a degree?

11. blackandbluedivision says: Mar 27, 2013 2:59 PM

Graduation ceremony is overrated. You’ve already done it in Elementary School and High School. You won’t be drafted again. Plus, it’s not like you won’t ever get your college degree. He’s technically already graduated. Walking is just a formality.

12. funktron2x says: Mar 27, 2013 2:59 PM

You’d look actuarily awesome in Honolulu Blue and Silver Mr. Ansah! :-)

13. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 27, 2013 3:02 PM

Instead of “walking”, Zeke will sit. And sit…..and sit….

14. whatnojets says: Mar 27, 2013 3:05 PM

Very smart young man!

15. 808raiderinparadise says: Mar 27, 2013 3:06 PM

pnut87 says:
    Mar 27, 2013 2:34 PM

——–

@pnut87

Great idea!

Although I suspect when he leans into hug Goodell, he will later be sent a fine for leading with the crown of his head.

New NFL.

16. thehouseofho says: Mar 27, 2013 3:20 PM

jets4gold says:
    Mar 27, 2013 2:52 PM
    =====
    Considering he is receiving his degree in actuarial science–a discipline that combines statistics, finance, risk assessment, and technology–it doesn’t sound like he took his education lightly at all.

Secondly, it sounds like he’s missing the general graduation ceremony for the entire school. That means he’s sitting with thousands of other graduates instead of actually walking. The department graduation ceremony is much more memorable since that’s where you walk, receive your degree, and shake the hand of one of the deans–you know, the academic equivalent of being drafted, receiving a cap and jersey, and shaking the hand of the commissioner.

17. kylehealy says: Mar 27, 2013 3:20 PM

jets4gold says:
    Mar 27, 2013 2:52 PM

————————————————

Not really. The graduation ceremony has nothing to do with your education and it’s painful to sit through. Also your education can be taken away just as easily as a football career. If I sat around bashing my head with a rock or just did drugs all day I think I’d lose some of that knowledge I gained. It’s not a shame, it’s his choice and who are we to judge whether it’s a right or wrong one.

18. fuglyflorio says: Mar 27, 2013 3:31 PM

Smart kid.

19. Max says: Mar 27, 2013 3:47 PM

jets4gold says: Mar 27, 2013 2:52 PM

________________________________

Not a suprising comment from a Jets Fan… Dude the guy has a degree in Actuarial Science!

20. kd75 says: Mar 27, 2013 3:48 PM

People walk and pick up their degrees in person? My college graduation was 15,000 people in the football stadium in the rain with me and my roommates passing around a bottle of rum. The paper degree came in the mail.

21. chasechorleone313 says: Mar 27, 2013 3:59 PM

After the draft the next place I hope to see him walking is out of the tunnel at Ford field.

22. granadafan says: Mar 27, 2013 4:13 PM

Call me an “academic purist” who really despises the way some schools and certain conferences in, say, the south eastern part of the country, make a mockery of schools with the imbeciles they hire, er recruit, to attend their “school. That said, I don’t blame him for choosing the draft over walking at graduation. The spotlight is more prestigious at the draft instead of graduation with hundreds or thousands or other graduates. They don’t even give you your actual diploma at graduation anymore, just a paper saying you were at the ceremony, or something like that.

23. doe22us says: Mar 27, 2013 5:17 PM

One of the few Ghanaians that will be in the league, kudos to him.

24. hpeters77 says: Mar 27, 2013 5:25 PM

Great degree it will help him manage money In the nfl plus he has a terrific backup plan If nfl doesn’t work out