Florida man arrested for scamming 49ers fans out of $5,900, Super Bowl tickets

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell News Conference Getty Images

A Florida man who scammed a family of San Francisco 49ers fans looking to watch their team in the Super Bowl has finally been arrested following a two month investigation.

According to Mike Rosenberg of the San Jose Mercury News, 37-year old Robert Pham was arrested after advertising himself as a Baltimore Ravens fan looking to sell four tickets to the game on Craigslist. Sharon Osgood of Hayward, Calif. allegedly paid $5,900 to Pham to purchase the tickets but when the package arrived there were no tickets to be had. Instead, they found taunts written at their expense.

“Go Ravens! LOL!” was one of the messages found in the package.

Pham is being held in Coral Springs, Fla. with bail set at $20,000. He has been charged with one count of felony theft by false pretenses. Pham claims he sent the tickets and someone else had to have removed them from the package but authorities say evidence doesn’t support his chain of events.

The Osgoods still got to attend the game as Ticketmaster, StubHub and the 49ers all offered free tickets to the family after learning of their story. They even got to have breakfast in New Orleans with Troy Aikman leading up to the game.

“We got to go to the game, and that’s all we ever wanted,” Osgood said. “Yeah, we lost $5,900, but we still got to the game, and we had an awesome time.”

Osgood did say they won’t be purchasing tickets on Craigslist ever again.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
62 Responses to “Florida man arrested for scamming 49ers fans out of $5,900, Super Bowl tickets”
  1. Sackville Rc says: Mar 27, 2013 11:09 PM

Glad they caught the bum. To bad he couldn’t be sentenced to serve as the Niners tackling dummy for the season.

2. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Mar 27, 2013 11:09 PM

Just because Ray Lewis got off doesn’t mean you can get off too

3. patsarethegoat says: Mar 27, 2013 11:10 PM

What a scumbag. I’m glad the family was given tickets though, not sure if I’d want the breakfast with Aikmen though :)

4. dwnhillwhaler says: Mar 27, 2013 11:11 PM

did they not read the warnings craigslist posted in big red capital letters regarding fraud and scams?

5. multiplemiggs says: Mar 27, 2013 11:11 PM

So for $5, 900 you can give your money to a homeless guy, run to the police, and get 6 SB tickets and dinner with Troy Aikman. Not bad.

6. ialdrich1214 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:11 PM

Although I feel bad for this family, sending a stranger claiming he has tickets for 5900 is quite naive.

7. 49erdynasty says: Mar 27, 2013 11:14 PM

Glad to see a scammer end up in jail.

8. green41563 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:15 PM

Florida Man strikes again!

9. benroethlisberger7 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:15 PM

Well executed con. Goodell would be proud of your fine craft.

10. classyjacklambert says: Mar 27, 2013 11:15 PM

Caveat Emptor! However how dumb is this Ravens fan to still send this family something? Justice prevailed in the end though.

11. discosucs2005 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:15 PM

I’m a 49ers fan living in Florida: my world’s are colliding here.

First, love the “Lol” aspect of it. Very classy. I’m sure the judge will crack smile at sentencing.

Second. really? Someone intercepted your tickets and switched them out? That is very convincing.

“I didn’t STEAL his iPod officer, someone else beat him up and stole it and must have dropped it and I just found it on the ground!”

12. bkallen84 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:17 PM

Florida Man strikes again.

13. reed20fence says: Mar 27, 2013 11:19 PM

Why on Earth would you buy tickets on Craigslist? It’s a den of scam artists.

14. firedup1 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:19 PM

Jerry Jones would have given them tickets to the Super Bowl, but we all know how that worked out in Dallas.

15. sgtpepper3636 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:23 PM

You mean to tell me that I can get free tix to the Super Bowl next year if I admit that I was dumb enough to buy SB tix on craigslist!? Wait nevermind I forgot next year’s SB will be in the meadowlands.. I’ll put that idea in my back pocket..

16. 619sdfan4life says: Mar 27, 2013 11:24 PM

“Osgood did say they won’t be purchasing tickets on Craigslist ever again”.
    Duh…Craigslist is full of scammers and tweakers, always see your item in person with at least 3 people with you

17. mydroopysack says: Mar 27, 2013 11:25 PM

It’s every 49ers fan’s lifelong dream to have breakfast with Troy Aikman. Especially 49ers fans from my hometown of Hayward.

18. saintsfan1111 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:27 PM

Judge should hand him a note. 5 years. LOL!

19. revischrist16 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:37 PM

Glad it worked out for the family. But seriously….who sends a complete stranger $5,900 without using a site like StubHub that will insure you won’t get scammed.

20. necr0philia says: Mar 27, 2013 11:41 PM

Hell I need to come up with a scam like this but be smarter about it and not tell the whole world! Any of you readers looking to buy a Mail Ordered Bride? You chose race eye color age and if it fits it ships! And if you call right now I’ll trow in her Mom as well.

21. seaeagle707 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:41 PM

People around here think they’ve scored big time if they save 6-cents a gallon at the pump. This woman paid nearly 6-grand for tix and obviously could care less that she got scammed. I don’t know if I’ll be able to stand the shame this year, watching football on a ten=year old TV, that cost less than $500. What a piker I am.

22. skoobyfl says: Mar 27, 2013 11:46 PM

Scam artists all live in FL.

23. mjkelly77 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:46 PM

Do you mean that 590 fans of the 49ers didn’t get their $10 Super Bowl tickets? How were they supposed to know the offer wasn’t real?

24. goldrush94 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:48 PM

It says right there on every Craigslist page: Do not wire money.
    That said, I don’t know how this scum thought he’d get away with it. He’s now gonna get hit with a federal felony for wire fraud and will serve some serious time… On our taxpayer dollars of course.

25. joeyashwi says: Mar 27, 2013 11:49 PM

No, you didn’t lose $5,900. You paid the money to go to the game and went to the game. The guy who scammed this family is a dirtbag but thanks to Ticketmaster and Stubhub, they weren’t out a thing.

26. paleandpasty says: Mar 27, 2013 11:51 PM

Agreeing to give a stranger $5,900 from craigslist sounds like a great idea, i cant believe something went wrong.

27. sumoson says: Mar 27, 2013 11:53 PM

Im sure the Judge wont find your “Go Ravens ” Taunt as funny as you did … Enjoy The big house Cheesemo

28. goninjagoninjagogo says: Mar 27, 2013 11:53 PM

Sweet juicy justice. I wondered how this was going to end up when I heard Craigslist was involved so I was glad to hear it had a somewhat happy ending.

Of course, the lifelong 49ers season ticket holders who had to go through a lottery with no Super Bowl tickets did not care.

29. nflhof says: Mar 27, 2013 11:56 PM

Pham must be looking for a long term contract with the Raiders.

30. redbullenergydrink says: Mar 28, 2013 12:04 AM

Wow, don’t people ever feel guilty for scamming others? I would.

31. sportsfan83 says: Mar 28, 2013 12:11 AM

From GO Ravens to GO to jail,haha now that’s something to laugh at. What an idiot.

32. orivar says: Mar 28, 2013 12:15 AM

And the idiot was dumb enough to leave all his information out in the open.

33. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Mar 28, 2013 12:15 AM

Jed York will catch wind of this and hook the Osgood’s up with VIP treatment. Jed’s always on Twitter communicating with Niner fans. He’s very, very dedicated to the fan base like that.

34. dt58 says: Mar 28, 2013 12:20 AM

Sad world we live in

35. alxgmz says: Mar 28, 2013 12:26 AM

People get scammed on Craigslist all the time. One must be very careful. No you didn’t lose anything sir. I bet you even got better seats and got to eat with Aikman. Glad you and the family had a good time. People call other people crazy for making outrageous purchases on superbowl tickets, but just remember that you also buy great memories that last a lifetime.

36. realskipbayless says: Mar 28, 2013 12:28 AM

Figures it was a ravens fan.

37. pnut87 says: Mar 28, 2013 12:41 AM

This is why I avoid craigslist entirely. A lot of that stuff is fake/broken/stolen anyway. I got scamed out of some money myself. Granted, it wasn’t anywhere near 5,900, but still a bad site to deal on.

38. mustbechris says: Mar 28, 2013 12:53 AM

Cautionary tale. Never, EVER buy something on Craigslist that you’re not picking up and paying cash for in person.

39. sportsnut101 says: Mar 28, 2013 12:57 AM

Glad they got to watch the game in person

I don’t remember the whole story but how did they pay for the tickets

Ifu pay with PayPal n use ur bank card u can file claim to get ur money back

But glad the cops got this guy great job

40. umisaid says: Mar 28, 2013 1:11 AM

such a dirty move…what a dissapoinment

41. raiddawgz says: Mar 28, 2013 2:40 AM

That is too funny. Couldn’t have happend to a dumber fan base… and the note said ” Go Ravens” hahaha

42. boneyardbuc says: Mar 28, 2013 5:53 AM

multiplemiggs says: Mar 27, 2013 11:11 PM

=====================================

Yeah, that’s exactly what happened AND you have incredible reading comprehension skills.

43. mj1818 says: Mar 28, 2013 6:31 AM

Typical ravens fan.

44. exboomer says: Mar 28, 2013 7:43 AM

If they want to throw away $5900.00 I’d be more than willing to take it off their hands.

45. wamj2008 says: Mar 28, 2013 7:48 AM

Breakfast with Aikman got awkward when he kept referring to Mr. Osgood as “Joe.”

46. paulsaddy says: Mar 28, 2013 7:50 AM

Hey ticketmaster/stubhub,

If I do something completely stupid and complain to you about it, can I have some season tickets to the Broncos? Preferably first row, 50 yard line. Thanks!

47. arlingtonsynn says: Mar 28, 2013 7:52 AM

I think a 49’ers fan would be just about the last type of person I would think about scamming.

They stab people over much less than $5,900.

Eagles fans would fall into that category too if they ever made Super Bowls.

48. snaponrules says: Mar 28, 2013 8:14 AM

Just goes to show you the rich get off while the poor go to jail. Jerrah Jones pulled this same exact scam on HUNDEREDS of people and hasnt been charged with anything.

49. gadzod says: Mar 28, 2013 8:22 AM

Who in the world would use craigslist over stubhub for tickets that expensive without protection?

50. overratedsteelerhater says: Mar 28, 2013 8:31 AM

glad they caught the guy he is no raven fan,just
    a looser.what does Ray Lewis have to do with
    any of this..you haters are to much!!!!
    see you all in the playoffs…..

51. bk9876 says: Mar 28, 2013 8:34 AM

Breakfast with Aikman? What Montana and Young were too busy shining their helmets?

52. j4man1 says: Mar 28, 2013 8:39 AM

How’d they loose $5900 when they got what they paid $5900 for? Plus free breakfast with the best QB ever!

53. birdobeamen says: Mar 28, 2013 8:46 AM

I’m sorry, what kind of IDIOT buys tickets on craigslist without meeting the seller face to face or having some sort of guarantee that the tickets are legit?

Dumb broad deserved to lose the money.

And I apologize if I’m being harsh, but if someone CAN AFFORD to purchase Super Bowl tickets, you would think they had a bit more mental fortitude.

54. filthymcnasty1 says: Mar 28, 2013 9:06 AM

Now it all makes sense. Anquan Boldin for a 6th was part of the court ordered restitution.

55. patriots420 says: Mar 28, 2013 9:11 AM

Better be glad the police got him first before those niner fans shanked him

56. circuscivics says: Mar 28, 2013 9:14 AM

9ers fans are so naive. Suckers. They are lucky they got some sympathy from the organizations involved. I guess it was good PR for the organizations, but I would have let them suffer the consequences and learn their lessons.

57. xxwhodatxx says: Mar 28, 2013 9:23 AM

Glad they caught him, but they didn’t lose $5900. If anything they got more than their money’s worth.

58. bobbyd12 says: Mar 28, 2013 9:25 AM

I’ve bought and sold tickets on Craigslist for years, never ever had a problem. You just have to use common sense. I never do PayPal and always meet the person face to face in a highly traveled public area. You can get great deals on Craigslist for tickets, just use your brain that God has given you.

59. swagger52 says: Mar 28, 2013 9:42 AM

This Ravens fan saved this 49er fan a whole lot of money and angst. The 49er fan got their money back, so at least this 49er fan was saved the expense and aggravation of a Super Bowl loss. I bet there are a lot of other 49er fans that are wishing that Ravens fans could have saved them all that expense and humiliation. However, some people just never listen.

60. 16x8equal49ers says: Mar 28, 2013 9:59 AM

Another dumbass felon from Florida. I feel like watching a Cops marathon now.

61. crownofthehelmet says: Mar 28, 2013 10:48 AM

It figures this guy was a Ravens fan.

62. jacketsfan7 says: Mar 28, 2013 2:15 PM

I originally thought the wife that was scammed was Sharon OsBORNE! Lol
    Good thing that idiot is gone