Mathieu back on LSU campus for pro day

File photo of Tyrann Mathieu in Atlanta Reuters

The usual array of future NFL players will be on display at LSU’s pro day today, including a guy who didn’t even play for them last year.

Among the 27 players working out for NFL scouts will be cornerback Tyrann Mathieu, back on campus for the first time since being arrested for marijuana possession last October (after he had been kicked off the team for multiple positive drug tests).

“Here’s a guy who’s worked awfully hard to be a part of us and is deserving to work out in a place where he participated in ball,” LSU coach Les Miles said, via Jim Kleinpeter of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “I think he’ll be most comfortable in these surroundings. I think we have made a positive impact on him. I suspect he will be understanding of the path that he needs to have success. I think that will guide his steps.

“I talked to him. His traditions are here. I wouldn’t want him to have to go someplace else. I’m satisfied he’s taking positive steps toward his future.”

Mathieu’s worked to rehabilitate his image as much as anything since he left LSU. He’s worked with Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson, and he walked into the Combine with his hat in his hand in February.

Today, he’ll get back to showing what he can do, where he used to do it.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Mathieu back on LSU campus for pro day”
  1. raiderredleg says: Mar 27, 2013 9:15 AM

Good for him…Probably won’t be taken untilt he middle of the third round.

At that point, sure some savy team (hopefully the Raiders) will trade back into the third round if he is still available.

Raiders could use an athlete like that on the roster IF they could get him later in the draft.

2. tv426 says: Mar 27, 2013 9:26 AM

He will be a steal if he goes in the 3rd or beyond. Yes, he has had drug issues, and yes, he is small, but this dude can play!
    I can’t recall a guy that was such a ball hawk or someone with the ability to make big plays like him. Ed Reed is about the only person that I can think of with those skills.

3. lionsmark09 says: Mar 27, 2013 9:26 AM

Pretty sure the Lions would pull the trigger on him in the early third round. Makes sense to me.

4. cardiovascularendurance says: Mar 27, 2013 9:42 AM

Well isn’t this just turning into the feel good story of the year.

5. chiwizlive says: Mar 27, 2013 9:44 AM

Low risk high reward if you can get him in the 3rd or 4th round,I have a feeling this kid is gonna jump off the TV screen he’s a playmaker I hope the broncos take a chance on him.

6. miguelromerorhpat says: Mar 27, 2013 9:45 AM

Hope my pats pull the trigger with this guy in the second..trade out of the first,accumulate moré picks and tale this tough guy in the second!!!

7. johnclaytonsponytail says: Mar 27, 2013 9:47 AM

I wish the best for him and his future endeavors. Hes gonna make some team really happy. Not many players come out with the god given ability he has.

8. floratiotime says: Mar 27, 2013 9:49 AM

It’s dumb for a potential pro player to smoke dope, but it’s hardly criminal.

9. ccjcsr says: Mar 27, 2013 10:15 AM

4th rounder, special teams player, nothing more here to see!

10. jayhawk6 says: Mar 27, 2013 10:22 AM

If Tyrann Matthieu has a successful NFL career, he should establish a Mentoring Award in the name of Patrick Peterson.

11. mrposey5 says: Mar 27, 2013 10:27 AM

People confuse his Heisman campaign for the fact that he was a good cover guy, he wasn’t. He was a good return guy, and had a knack for creating turnovers and being around the football. His cover skills are what will keep him from excelling if that’s what a team expects to use him as. Watch the tape.

12. uptjeff says: Mar 27, 2013 10:42 AM

I’d rather draft Mathieu in the first round than T’eo.

13. patsfansaresupertough says: Mar 27, 2013 10:52 AM

Don’t understand why they would let him have a pro day with the LSU team. Maybe its just me but I wouldn’t want this guy to be associated with my football team I just kicked him off of. Bad publicity for the program and the school.

14. stlunatik says: Mar 27, 2013 11:02 AM

Jeff Fisher took Jenoris Jenkins and his baggage. Rams should take this guy too. great middle third rounder.

15. geniusesq says: Mar 27, 2013 11:06 AM

Welcome to the Washington Redskins, please learn from Trent Williams & Fred Davis on why you shouldn’t toke up.

16. greymares says: Mar 27, 2013 11:29 AM

I love this kid’s ability sure hope Chip Kelly does also.

17. hitstick49er says: Mar 27, 2013 11:32 AM

Wants to be a Niner… Said so himself in an interview. Doubt it will happen but I would be content if they picked him in the 4th. I think some team will reach in the 3rd.

18. cliverush says: Mar 27, 2013 11:33 AM

Nice going coach.

19. tampamac says: Mar 27, 2013 11:39 AM

I could see the Bucs trading back into the end of the 2nd round to try and grab him. Not like they have a plethora of good corners on the roster.

20. qdog112 says: Mar 27, 2013 11:45 AM

There is noway he lasts to the 3rd round. This guy takes possessions away fro the other team. He is not the prototype “big corner” in vogue, but he has “it”. He is always around the ball, plus he returns punts.

His ball skills reminds me of Ed Reed or an omnipresent Charles Woodson, roaming the field. He has no position. You put him on the slot guy, but give him freedom to roam. He has unique instincts.

That said, off the field he’s high risk, but not just because of the pot. I recall another pot smoker named Saap did OK. Someone will take him mid to late 1st rd.

21. bigdinla says: Mar 27, 2013 11:49 AM

As a Cowboys fan, I hope any team but mine draft him. Tigers don’t change their stripes. As to the Rams fan comparing him to Jenkins, I say good luck. Mathieu can’t cover and Pac Man was good for almost two years. Mathieu is a good returner and blitzer. That is his entire skill set.

22. coryfor3 says: Mar 27, 2013 12:00 PM

This seems appropriate and consistent with what is supposed to be the educational and life preparing goals of a university. He wasn’t prevented from continuing school there. He was kicked off the team. This is essentially allowing him a chance to go to a job interview. The purpose is to allow a student to grow and learn and mature and prepare for real life and provide the resources and venue for taking that opportunity. That’s all LSU is doing. Though I am sure it helps in recruiting still. Kids see how they haven’t abandoned him.

23. tiggerblood says: Mar 27, 2013 12:07 PM

Perfect fit Bengals

24. fosteraustralianfortouchdown says: Mar 27, 2013 12:16 PM

I hope Texans take him with one of their 3rd round picks(have a 3rd compensatory for Mario). Have reed train him for free saftey spot once reed hangs it up.

25. boyshole25 says: Mar 27, 2013 2:38 PM

Guaranteed skins reach in 2nd

26. cometkazie says: Mar 27, 2013 4:13 PM

All the best for all 27 of you Tigers on your pro day!

27. granadafan says: Mar 27, 2013 4:20 PM

This guy is the biggest moron in the world. However, it’s not too late for him to actually grow up and listen to his mentors on how to be a productive citizen in this country. If not for football, the taxpayers would be funding his housing and meals in a 6×6 cell. Let’s hope he doesn’t let everyone down especially Peterson and Mr Harlem Shake, Les Miles.