Ryan Mathews blames injuries on bad luck, too much contact

Denver Broncos v San Diego Chargers Getty Images

Chargers running back Ryan Mathews is treading closer and closer to “bust” territory, in part because he has spent too much time in his first three NFL seasons being broken.

Mathews knows that he has to stay healthy, and he recently talked about the situation with NFL Network.

“Everyone always ask me if I am made of glass,” Mathews said.  “I just need to stop taking so many hits, quit fighting for extra yards when I don’t need to.  It has been a little bit of bad luck too.  I broke both my collarbones and that’s rare.”

While luck is indeed a factor when it comes to injuries, there’s only so much a running back can do to avoid contact.  Still, it’s not impossible.  Barry Sanders knew when to hit the deck and how to avoid taking a big hit.  And he never took a big hit.

Mathews will have an even greater reason to show that he can perform at a high level, given the presence of a new coach (Mike McCoy), new offensive coordinator (Ken Whisenhunt), and new G.M. (Tom Telesco).  Mathews realizes that the changes have come because the Chargers couldn’t get it done under Norv Turner.

“I think we were just complacent,” Mathews said.  “At times, because he had spent a lot of time there, it was just the same routine over and over again.  There wasn’t anything new.  He did everything he could to make us win, no doubt about it. . . .  We thought we were owed to win games.”

That mindset surely is gone now.  And Mathews will have to show something in order to stick around for the long haul.  Without getting himself hurt, again.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
24 Responses to “Ryan Mathews blames injuries on bad luck, too much contact”
  1. tenotnamedmiller says: Mar 29, 2013 1:21 PM

Chess would be too much contact for this guy.

2. panamon says: Mar 29, 2013 1:23 PM

If the last thing he says is “a little bad luck” (when he had two occurrences of a very rare injury in one season), does that mean it’s fair to mention that in a distorted way first for a purposefully inflammatory headline meant to draw hits?

3. bunkslurpscrabmustard says: Mar 29, 2013 1:31 PM

Wow I did not realize he’s been in 3 years already. I’ve def blown fantasy picks on this guy.

4. generalherald says: Mar 29, 2013 1:32 PM

He could be scary good with some running room. Highlight reel full of yards after contact at LOS.

5. Pat says: Mar 29, 2013 1:33 PM

the season before last he had almost 1,600 total yards at 4.9 YPC and 10.0 per catch….I’m sure actual busts like Kijana Carter and Curtis Enis would love a season like that

6. competitivecompetitioncompeter says: Mar 29, 2013 1:41 PM

So you think he just needs to run more like Barry Sanders. Oh, that’s all?

7. slickster35 says: Mar 29, 2013 1:47 PM

He’s soft, but not in the same league of softness that is McFadden.

JC owns this division.

8. 619sdfan4life says: Mar 29, 2013 1:54 PM

@panamon….what. Bro seriously your comment was like a dissertation on a random topic. Back to football now. Matthews has always played scared as a charger fan I would be happy with Stephen Jackson at this point. We will see how Ryan does this year but I don’t see him doing anything to remain in SD next season

9. txstaff says: Mar 29, 2013 1:58 PM

This guy gives real meaning to “one is too many.”
    Too many hits? You broke on the first hit you took last season.

10. demolition510 says: Mar 29, 2013 2:04 PM

Football is a contact sport homie. Maybe not in 10 years, but right now it is.

11. kc571 says: Mar 29, 2013 2:05 PM

Just keep your head up when you run. #newRBrule

12. aboogy123456 says: Mar 29, 2013 2:11 PM

I think it’s hard for a running back to be successful with one of the worst o-lines and receiving corps in the league. He may be fragile, but there’s only so much he can do in terms of his performance.

13. tuberippin says: Mar 29, 2013 2:27 PM

Please do not mention Barry Sanders in an article about Ryan Mathews. That’s just disrespectful to Barry Sanders.

14. joeychargers says: Mar 29, 2013 2:30 PM

I’m glad we have Danny Woodhead now, I’m not afraid to call Mathews a huge bust. Kinda like Norv.

15. packerman1968 says: Mar 29, 2013 2:32 PM

“Everyone always ask me if I am made of glass,” Mathews said. “I just need to stop taking so many hits, quit fighting for extra yards when I don’t need to. It has been a little bit of bad luck too. I broke both my collarbones and that’s rare.”

This statement right here, would make me cry if I was a Chargers fan. YOUR running back does not want to get extra yards? He is going to run out of bounds or just fall down.

Cut him now and put someone out their with heart.

16. mrgroovesd says: Mar 29, 2013 2:32 PM

Hopefully he can stay healthy and not be as fragile. Does he drink milk? I hope he does.

17. Keyser Söze says: Mar 29, 2013 3:01 PM

What’s he blame his fumbles on?

18. bolted4life says: Mar 29, 2013 3:24 PM

packerman1968 says: Mar 29, 2013 2:32 PM

Cut him now and put someone out their with heart.

—————————————————

“quit fighting for extra yards when I don’t need to”

Do you understand this statement? Barry Sanders knew how to do this. LT knew how to do this even though Jim Brown gave him grief for stepping out. They both played for many years, LT at least walked away with his health.

Do you really want to risk being knocked unconscious for half a yard on a first down you already got? I didn’t think so.

19. raiderapologist says: Mar 29, 2013 3:34 PM

slickster35 says: Mar 29, 2013 1:47 PM

He’s soft, but not in the same league of softness that is McFadden.

JC owns this division.
    —————-
    He doesn’t even own the Raiders. 14 carries for 14 yards in two games last season. McFadden had 59 carries for 224 yards against the softness that is KC’s defense. The only thing worse than a persistent troll is a stupid persistent troll.

20. acanniv says: Mar 29, 2013 3:42 PM

Even if he’s not hurt, he’s still got no heart. Need proof? Check the goal line stand against Wyoming in the 2009 New Mexico Bowl.

21. doe22us says: Mar 29, 2013 4:10 PM

Sometimes there are freak injuries i will give him that i recently tore my groin and brevis tendon in my ankle while playing soccer. (Months apart) However, he has spent more time in the training room.

22. cpo187 says: Mar 29, 2013 4:28 PM

Great to have a RB that is looking forward to taking less hits and NOT trying to get those extra yards.

23. joerockt says: Mar 29, 2013 4:32 PM

Huh…Too much contact, with the ground? Cause that’s how he broke both clavicles.

Yea, we need a tailback that won’t fight for extra yards, cause we all know this is a game of miles. Seriously, what a joke this guy is.

24. cpo187 says: Mar 29, 2013 4:33 PM

raiderapologist says: Mar 29, 2013 3:34 PM
    slickster35 says: Mar 29, 2013 1:47 PM

He’s soft, but not in the same league of softness that is McFadden.

JC owns this division.
    —————-

————

AP had 45 carries for 409 yards against the Division Champ Packers in 2 games last year. They “shut him down” in the playoffs though, he only got 99 yards. (67 carries for 508 yards in 3 games)

The ACL injured guys are coming back like beasts!