Slauson wants Cushing to know he’s sorry

Matt Slauson AP

Shortly after signing with the Bears today, guard Matt Slauson addressed the play for which he’s best known: The blindside hit to Brian Cushing’s knee that ended Cushing’s 2012 season while Slauson played for the Jets.

Slauson told Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times that he still plays that play over in his head, and still feels terrible that his hit caused Cushing to suffer a torn ACL. Slauson also said he attempted to call Cushing but couldn’t get through to him.

“I tried,” Slauson said of calling Cushing. “But it didn’t work out. I wanted to let him know that I was really sorry. I heard he’s a great guy, and I wish him all the best, and I’m sure I’m going to be seeing on the field again.”

Slauson, who was fined $10,000 for the hit, said he hasn’t forgotten about it.

“I think about it all the time,” Slauson said. It was just unfortunate the way it happened, Brian getting hurt. I didn’t want it to happen. I was just trying to do whatever I could to win. And unfortunately, it worked out very badly. It was a frowned upon block. But I think about it all the time, and I’m really sorry the guy got hurt for it.”

That Slauson has been unable to reach Cushing suggests that Cushing isn’t ready to accept Slauson’s apology.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Houston Texans, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Slauson wants Cushing to know he’s sorry”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Mar 29, 2013 7:41 PM

I think it’s Karma because Cushing cheated in his Rookie Year by roiding up and stealing Brian Orakpo’s defensive Rookie of the Year award.

2. shaunypoo says: Mar 29, 2013 7:42 PM

Maybe he hasn’t actually tried to apologize.

3. dmaq1 says: Mar 29, 2013 7:43 PM

Lining up on a daily basis in practice for a whole season will be an apology enough for Mr. Cushing.

Good luck to ya

4. hyzers says: Mar 29, 2013 7:45 PM

Funny Slauson called Suh dirty but I don’t recall Suh ever taking a cheap dirty cut to the back of some poor guy’s knee, blowing out his ACL.

5. grandpoopah says: Mar 29, 2013 7:48 PM

The sun went down went I hit Slauson…

6. Sackville Rc says: Mar 29, 2013 7:48 PM

Its never too late to man-up. The ball is now in Cushings court.

7. firestarter0728 says: Mar 29, 2013 7:49 PM

Having to play for the Bears is an appropriate form of self-punishment. He must feel REALLY guilty about that play.

8. GenXJay says: Mar 29, 2013 7:50 PM

Note: Dan Snyder hasn’t apologized to RGKnee or MVPeterson either.

9. larryboodry says: Mar 29, 2013 7:50 PM

Ironic that the man he is replacing also had his 2012 season ended by a knee injury…Here’s hoping Cushing will accept the olive branch being offered.

10. jets4gold says: Mar 29, 2013 8:07 PM

maybe its karma for lying to fans and using steroids his rookie season. never wanna see a guy get hurt but I wouldn’t feel bad or sorry. karma gets you big, one way or another

11. dolphins512 says: Mar 29, 2013 8:13 PM

While the “block” was frowned upon, it was legal as I understand it.

I’m sure he didn’t intend to blow out his ACL. It’s a rough game and this stuff happens.

Hopefully, they both move on and Cushing has a strong recovery.

12. illiniftw says: Mar 29, 2013 8:17 PM

Apologize? The Bears signed you to “block” Jared Allen

13. Mike Wanhatalo says: Mar 29, 2013 8:21 PM

Orakpo plays in the NFC. Cushing plays in the AFC. If anyone, Cushing stole Byrd’s DROY award since he finished 2nd in voting.

14. donnymacjack says: Mar 29, 2013 8:26 PM

The fact that he couldn;t get hold of him certainly DOES NOT suggest that Cushing isn’t ready to accept an apology. You don’t have nearly enough information to make that judgement. It’s unfair to both of them and hurts your credibility.

15. ososrule says: Mar 29, 2013 8:30 PM

Ok, He’s sorry…….now protect Cutler and win games!

16. spedman24 says: Mar 29, 2013 8:36 PM

I’ve worked in the media & dealt with Slauson, total class act, certainly didn’t attempt to hurt anyone

17. snaponrules says: Mar 29, 2013 8:46 PM

Which just proves that he has higher morale standards then Jared (cheap shot) Allen. At least Slauson tried to apologize and admits it was wrong.

Maybe Slauson has 1 more accidental block to the knees in him for MR. Allen, now that would be KARMA

18. canetic says: Mar 29, 2013 8:49 PM

Cushing has done so many roids he probably accidentally crushes the phone every time Slauson calls to apologize.

19. EJ says: Mar 29, 2013 8:55 PM

Because Cushing has taken steroids and stopped, he is much more prone to injury than a normal player. It is a fact.

20. bizurk says: Mar 29, 2013 9:19 PM

Either Slauson is lying about ‘trying’ or Cushing didn’t accept his apology.

There’s no way two professional athlete cannot reach each other if both parties want it: through agents or teams, over email, text, phone or ice-breaking strip club bender.

21. cmdrsmooth says: Mar 29, 2013 10:13 PM

So sorry I cost the Texans a Super Bowl title. Thanks for nothing.

22. borophyll says: Mar 29, 2013 10:22 PM

You can stuff your sorries in a sack, Slauson!

23. peepeetoucher says: Mar 29, 2013 10:49 PM

Matt Slauson is one of the nicest/humble guys you’d meet. He is by no means a player with a history of taking cheap shots on anyone. There was no malice involved with that play and you can tell it still haunts him. Such a good dude who works with organizations for stuttering kids. Thank you for your charity n time in NY/NJ Matt, you will be missed. Time to help the community in Chi town now.

24. sportsfrenzy says: Mar 29, 2013 11:28 PM

I’ve always liked slauson , he’s a class act and a humble guy , there’s no doubt in my mind that he was not intending to hurt kushing. It does show his true values apologizing though , you don’t hear Terrell Suggs apologizing to Willie Colin for blowing out his knee and ending his career with pittsburgh

25. joshtanney says: Mar 29, 2013 11:35 PM

Takes courage to apologize, much respect to him.

26. rmavs says: Mar 30, 2013 12:21 AM

One man to another, apologizing for what has been perceived as a wrong doing is more than acceptable. Man to man, in a game like this, speaks volumes to me. He felt remorse and regret, and he manned up by owning his misdeed and apologizing. Kudos to Slauson.

27. isithockeyseasonyet says: Mar 30, 2013 2:58 AM

Nice gesture, hope Cushing accepts his apology as it seems sincere but can’t blame him for still being a little sore about it