Eagles add a very tall receiver

ifeanyi-momah Getty Images

So much for all those small wideouts Andy Reid amassed in Philly.  The new-look Eagles have gone old school, adding a Harold Carmichael-style receiver.

The team has announced the addition of free-agent receiver Ifeanyi Momah, a six-foot, seven-inch receiver from Boston College.  Momah signed a three-year deal.

Undrafted and out of football in 2012, Momah caught eight passes for 157 yards in the other Eagles’ 2011 home opener, against Northwestern.  He suffered a knee injury that same game, and he missed the rest of the season.

Listed at six-foot-six on his Boston College web page, Momah also played periodically at defensive end in the nickel package.  He started all 13 games in 2010.

Momah was denied a sixth year of college eligibility, and he was overlooked and forgotten by the NFL last season.

Harold Carmichael, for the younger folks in the crowd, stands six-feet, eight inches from the ground.  He played receiver for the Eagles for 13 seasons, and he still works for the team as the Director of Player Development and Alumni.

During his career, Carmichael caught 590 passes for 8,985 yards and 79 touchdowns.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Eagles add a very tall receiver”
  1. slashrageblog says: Mar 30, 2013 1:27 PM

Finally, a receiver over 6 feet.

2. eatitfanboy says: Mar 30, 2013 1:32 PM

I love his job title. Everyone who spends any time around the organization knows that Harold Carmichael’s job with the Eagles is standing around being Harold Carmichael.

3. kenny328usa says: Mar 30, 2013 1:38 PM

Finally someone to throw the ball to in the red zone

4. giantsfan82 says: Mar 30, 2013 1:39 PM

It wont help them

5. MichaelWrites says: Mar 30, 2013 1:39 PM

The Colts will soon make the big announcement that they’ve signed Thrash and Stinkston. We’re moving on and moving out.

6. bdawks20 says: Mar 30, 2013 1:39 PM

Hope this guy can surprise people and be a good redzone WR. He certainly has the size

7. bleedgreen11 says: Mar 30, 2013 1:49 PM

still cant believe they havent done anything with the o line. I guess they figure the draft is stocked with what they need in a lineman.

8. jaredo10 says: Mar 30, 2013 1:53 PM

Wow dudes huge.. hopefully we found the next Carmichael 2.0

9. num1eaglesfanyo says: Mar 30, 2013 2:08 PM

I really like this, can’t hurt to give him a shot. Eagles have needed a tall red zone receiver for too many years and if he works out it will be s steal. Oh and dude, Cooper is over 6 feet.

10. rodericksilva says: Mar 30, 2013 2:10 PM

I know that All-Stars can win games but I’m also a believer that a well run system can make a player. Catch that ball!

11. rodericksilva says: Mar 30, 2013 2:10 PM

12. noodlecbs says: Mar 30, 2013 2:11 PM

1960

13. gaylesaunders says: Mar 30, 2013 2:15 PM

Harold Carmichael is not impressed…

14. discosucs2005 says: Mar 30, 2013 2:15 PM

Some say he was the height of three DeSeans.

15. divola52 says: Mar 30, 2013 2:15 PM

Dream Team 2013.

16. cav2ya says: Mar 30, 2013 2:16 PM

Eagles seem to be getting a little crowded at receiver. I know they won’t release Djax. I’m worried about the rumors that were going around about Maclin.. there may be some truth to them. And then of course, guys like Avant who have been so good when called upon, may get the axe cause he’s not the “star”. Riley Cooper is good, nice and tall.
    Well, whatever, it’ll be exciting again for the first time in since 04.

17. rodericksilva says: Mar 30, 2013 2:22 PM

Rest assured they will keep the best guys for this system.

18. edtiley says: Mar 30, 2013 2:56 PM

And how I used to love watching Wahington’s Pat Fischer (5 ft. 8 in. ) climb Mt. Harold and snatch balls away from him!

19. nomoreseasontix says: Mar 30, 2013 3:32 PM

Might help raise Vick’s completion percentage, given how he often just flings it somewhere in the neighborhood.

20. iamthorny says: Mar 30, 2013 4:00 PM

Just more time for opposing DB’s to get into position for the INT when the ball is deflected from his outstretched hands.

Oh, and Ryan Clark thought he had problems playing in Denver? I hope the Broncos aren’t on the Eagles road schedule during his tenure. No way he can breathe way up there.

21. phillyphannn83 says: Mar 30, 2013 4:20 PM

This is an absolute steal. Momah was very good at BC and needed all year last season to finish rehabbing that ACL. Eagles now have 13 wrs on the roster so that’s going to make for some very good competition. I think Avant might be out. As I see it, we will probably keep 6 wrs – DJax, Maclin, Benn, Cooper, Momah, and Demaris Johnson to return kicks. As for the O-line, relax. 1. the draft is absolutely stacked with O and D linemen. 2. Four of our starters could make the Probowl and all will be healthy starting the season. (Peters, Mathis, Herremans, Kelce) If we pick up Joeckel, Warmack, or Fisher our O-Line will be one of the best in the league. Stop thinking were running out the same backup scrubs as last year. Our line was bad because our starters were all out, with the exception of Mathis, not because they suck. Its really a no-brainer to take Joekel or Fisher at 4. Peters and Herremans are running out of good years, probably 2-3 each, so a long term replacement would be a good idea. If they’re both gone, I say take Warmack and leave Herremans outside, though I’d rather move him back inside to Guard. Forget about Dion Jordan, forget about Star Lotulelei, forget about Jarvis Jones. The only other player I’d give consideration to at 4 is Dee milliner. Were stacked at LB/DE and were decent enough at DT not to warrant the 4th overall pick to go to that position. Our secondary is still weak even after adding Phillips and Chung, although they are massive improvements over Nate Allen and Kurt Coleman.

I honestly think they’ll go with Milliner though. They can pick up a solid O-lineman in round 2 but they there’s nobody that can start at corner after Milliner. That would be my choice, though I’ll still be happy if we get Jeockel, Fisher, or Warmack and I’ll be just “OK” if they take Dion Jordan or Jarvis Jones, though I highly doubt that’ll happen. Anyone else and I’ll most likely feel they blew the pick.Of course if we could move back to 7-10 and pick up an extra 2nd I’d be elated!

22. benroethlisberger7 says: Mar 30, 2013 4:57 PM

LOL. Free agency champs always fall short. Always.

23. golions1 says: Mar 30, 2013 5:05 PM

Maybe he could say, catch a pass before you compare him to Harold Carmichael.

24. oldbyrd says: Mar 30, 2013 5:19 PM

Momah is definitely worth a shot. I can’t believe he was there to sign, unless he is slow.

25. garyreazons55 says: Mar 30, 2013 5:23 PM

Just because he has size doesn’t mean he’s a lock to be successful. Ramses Barden knows something about this.

26. mynameiscoopermanning says: Mar 30, 2013 5:47 PM

@Phillyphannn83

Now please tell us what goals do you want to accomplish in life because like the eagles current situation, we also care about your dreams and aspirations.

27. jdphx says: Mar 30, 2013 7:19 PM

Carmichael was a stud…

And usually underrated IMO. Never mentioned among the all-time greats.

28. doublezero74 says: Mar 30, 2013 7:20 PM

I remember him being good for the Eagles. Cant believe nobody took a flyer on him, being a six foot sixer and all. Damnit the phillies have a stupid name

29. robbietheus says: Mar 30, 2013 8:26 PM

As I said last time, we just love guys with knee problems. I only like this deal if his knee holds up.