Raiders expected to trade Carson Palmer to Cardinals soon

Saints Raiders Football AP

With the Raiders finalizing a deal to acquire quarterback Matt Flynn from the Seahawks, the Raiders are now closing in on another deal, to trade quarterback Carson Palmer to the Cardinals.

Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports reports that the Cardinals are close to finalizing a deal that would send Palmer to Arizona and would send one of the Cardinals’ mid-round draft picks to Oakland. A source told Silver the Palmer trade hasn’t been completed but it is “likely to be soon.”

As part of the deal, Palmer is apparently willing to take a significant pay cut from the $13 million he’s due in 2013 on his current contract. That must mean Palmer sees Arizona as a much more attractive spot for him this season than Oakland, as Palmer was reportedly unwilling to take any pay cut at all to stay with the Raiders.

In Arizona, Palmer would likely take the top spot on a crowded quarterback depth chart that also includes Drew Stanton, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Lindley and John Skelton. Although Cardinals coach Bruce Arians has previously said he doesn’t think he needs another quarterback, he’s apparently about to get another quarterback, and Carson Palmer is about to become Arizona’s starter.

Permalink 93 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
93 Responses to “Raiders expected to trade Carson Palmer to Cardinals soon”
  1. aberystwyth2 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:27 PM

Poor Drew Stanton! This happened to him last year with the Jets!

2. logicalvoicesays says: Apr 1, 2013 12:27 PM

Top 3 QBs in Professional Football – Griffin III, Rodgers and Roethelisberger. In that order.

3. beardinals says: Apr 1, 2013 12:28 PM

I have a feeling it would take a lot of money for most people to stay with the Raiders.

4. gwylie1 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:28 PM

Palmer for Fitzgerald. Seems only fair

5. britishraven says: Apr 1, 2013 12:29 PM

It’s a sad day when Drew Stanton is the best QB on your roster

6. drohanimal says: Apr 1, 2013 12:30 PM

Well, he’s an upgrade to that crop of JV quarterbacks. They should atleast win a couple more games.

7. logicalvoicesays says: Apr 1, 2013 12:31 PM

If Larry Fitzgerald wants to play with a real QB and win Superbowls, he should demand a trade to the Washington Redskins like yesterday. Griffin to Garçon and Fitzgerald with Morris in the backfield = Just pencil us in for a Celtics 60’s like run. #BurgundyandGoldStandard

8. dioalice says: Apr 1, 2013 12:31 PM

I’m sure Skelton is now gone, Hoyer is now available and Stanton is not happy.

Fix the line and see if Palmer can throw for 4,000 yards in an Arians-Moore offensive scheme with Larry Fitzgerald. I like it.

9. chawk12thman says: Apr 1, 2013 12:32 PM

Arizona needs a QB to compete in the NFC West. Palmer, if he has the right O-Line maybe just the ticket. We know he has at least one great WR. This could be good for them. It is an upgrade, no matter how you look at it. Flynn is an upgrade for Oakland as well. Win, Win, Win for all.

10. onlyopinionthatmatters says: Apr 1, 2013 12:33 PM

sorry cards fans, theres always next year..

11. explosionsauce says: Apr 1, 2013 12:34 PM

Palmer is malcontent. I’d just pass on him if I was any team.

12. calibear831 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:34 PM

I smell kurt Warner type comeback! .

13. ern215 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:36 PM

go reggie go!!!!

14. tharoostah says: Apr 1, 2013 12:36 PM

Being a Cardinals fan sure would be rough. At least they still have nice weather and retirement going for them.

15. goraidersgospurs says: Apr 1, 2013 12:38 PM

what does Hue think about this, I would really like to get his reaction!!

16. prince5000 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:38 PM

i feel sorry for Larry Fitzgerald.

17. floratiotime says: Apr 1, 2013 12:39 PM

For a #2 pick and a starting CB ???

18. tdl8 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:39 PM

Great so this crybaby is gonna go suck in AZ just like in Cincy and Oakland! Then we will be reading the same headlines next year! I wish he would have just stay retired!

19. Getoffmylawn! says: Apr 1, 2013 12:40 PM

Does Arizona think that they can combine all these QB’s into one good one like some giant transformer? Why would you keep all of this trash and think Palmer is your answer? Better make sure you don’t trade away your First Pick next year, it’s going to be a really good one!

20. beavertonsteve says: Apr 1, 2013 12:41 PM

Palmer should be good enough to ensure they win 6 games and have not shot at a top QB next year either.

21. raidernation4life says: Apr 1, 2013 12:42 PM

Good luck Arizona! Watch and wait for your team to be the next franchise Palmer quits on. I’m glad he’s gone! Palmer drops back, there is a wide open Moore streaking down the field. Palmer throws to Heyward-Bey who is being double covered. Interception! The Raiders lose again!!!

22. dredddog says: Apr 1, 2013 12:43 PM

Your right Carson…Arizona’s O-Line is WAY better than Oaklands. SMH Have Fun

23. accipiterq says: Apr 1, 2013 12:46 PM

poor Larry Fitzgerald. They need some advanced stats in football like they have in baseball to correct for the fact he’s played with awful QBs for almost his entire career.

24. fraleyr says: Apr 1, 2013 12:46 PM

Only thing on the rise in this franchise is their interceptions

25. jg725 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:47 PM

Biggest clowns on pft – logicalvoice, logicalvoice, and logicalvoice……. in that order….

26. src3084 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:48 PM

Good riddance to captain drive-killer. Boy were Bengal fans ever right about this loser. Palmer is an absolute quitter and loser. Bailing on two teams now in less than a few years. When the going get less than rosy, Mr. Palmer hits the road. Here’s a tip, if you played like a winner in the 4th quarter instead of throwing boneheaded INTs, maybe your team would actually be able to compete. Big thanks, Reggie! Now, send McClain packing.

27. imasturbate says: Apr 1, 2013 12:48 PM

@logicalvoicesays

Are you Skip Bayless twin brother. Seems lime both of you rode the short bus. Win something then run your mouth….till then be quiet Skippy Jr

28. siggtacular says: Apr 1, 2013 12:49 PM

Poor Drew Stanton? Really? I don’t feel sorry for any of these millionaires…

29. realfootballfan says: Apr 1, 2013 12:50 PM

I love how poeple are conceding that Palmer is going from one bad situation to another one just as bad. Assuming that Todd Bowles isn’t as clueless as his Philly tenure would make him seem, the Cardinals defense should only get better. I would also remind people, that the Cardinals were the team leading the division with sorry kevin Kolb at QB before he got hurt and the QB play went from average to high school level.

Palmer is certainly past his early Cincy days, but he hardly has to be that with such a good a defense, Fitgerald, Roberts, and finally an actual good coach (he was the Coach of the Year, people know that, right) for a change.

30. tdl8 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:50 PM

logicalvoicesays says:
    Apr 1, 2013 12:31 PM
    If Larry Fitzgerald wants to play with a real QB and win Superbowls, he should demand a trade to the Washington Redskins like yesterday. Griffin to Garçon and Fitzgerald with Morris in the backfield = Just pencil us in for a Celtics 60′s like run. #BurgundyandGoldStandard

—————————————–
    Are you crazy or just delusional? Even with Fitz there is no way that team even makes it to the Super Bowl let alone goes on a “Celtics 60’s” like run! Not with how Shanahan is trying to end RG3’s career in his rookie season by playing him hurt! Who knows if his knee will ever be the same now!
    Also, remember Cam Newton’s lucky rookie year? Or Tebow’s lucky streak of wins? Or Vick getting out of prison and have a lucky run? What have they done since other than lose A LOT of games or constantly get hurt? The running QB doesn’t last in this league once teams get film on them! RG3 will be another one year wonder!

31. therealraider says: Apr 1, 2013 12:51 PM

Logicalvoicesays is back!! … im pretty sure he was grounded.. must have gotten another F on his report card.

32. lynchmobb12 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:51 PM

It’s crazy. I’ve gotten so many posts deleted on this site I’ve lost count. I had to stop posting here because my opinion would always get silenced. But I come back and see posters like logicalvoices still here trolling to fullest, and not 1 of their.(or the Steelers rothlesburger troll) posts are removed ever. Definitely a head scratcher.

Anyways I don’t think az had to make this move. Kolb had em at 4 and 0 before the o line started the off-season during the fifth game. I’m assuming Palmer will be their stop gap till they find their qbotf. If they don’t get that line fixed, Palmer will be crying his way out or his 3rd team in 3 years.

33. skol77 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:52 PM

logicalvoicesays,

you are one of the funniest guys posting I hope, or your delusional and will probably go back on your meds soon. H

34. jgrange says: Apr 1, 2013 12:52 PM

I don’t know why the Cardinals want Palmer but if they can fix their offensive line in the draft then Palmer would be a fine choice for them. They just need to figure out their run game and maybe add another decent receiving threat to complete that. They have a tall order fixing that o-line though.

The Raiders had ZERO leverage before the weekend and are now in the driver’s seat. Reggie played this beautifully. He’s saving money, not losing very many picks, starting a bidding war between the Bucs and Cardinals for an overpaid, out of his prime QB, so he should get a pick or two back for this year’s draft, and he can still trade down from the #3 pick to get back what he lost on Flynn if he so chooses.

Brilliant!!

35. sharksman says: Apr 1, 2013 12:52 PM

So the raiders trade everything for carson and then he quits on them like he quit on the bengals.
    Anyone see a pattern ???? I like Carson, I thought he did a good job last year with what he had (still cost us a game or 2 with a bad pick) but thought he would be back this year. But we should have listened to the bengals fans and left carson on the couch. Thanks for nothing palmer ! Could have been worse now that they are trading for Flynn we don’t have to pick a qb with a top pick. No Purple drank this year !! Raider Nation !

36. radrntn says: Apr 1, 2013 12:53 PM

well can’t blame Carson for not wanting to re-do his deal with the raiders. He just did it last year. With that said, I don’t think he is taking any less to be with the cards. He is probably signing a 3 to 4 year deal that might be cap friendly, but it will be around a 10 million per.

37. cardsfann1 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:55 PM

Why trade a pick for him when you know Oakland is going to cut him? I don’t understand that. He doesn’t have teams fighting over him to my knowledge. If Oakland cuts him then why can’t they just sign him? Can someone answer that for me please?

38. njraiderfan19 says: Apr 1, 2013 12:55 PM

Big sigh of relief here. Not sure that Flynn is the man, but at least Mackenzie seems to be sticking to his program: dumping bad contracts and trying to restock with quality people on a budget. My beloved Raiders probably won’t hit .500 this year, but it’s not about this year- it’s about fixing the mistakes of the past and getting back on track to be able to do smart deals for better players in the near future. Nothing personal against Palmer, it was just a big mistake by a desperate organization at a bad time.

39. tonyfranchise says: Apr 1, 2013 12:56 PM

Good we actually going to get something for the “quitter”. Ill take Flynn, you never know he might turn out decent, plus it is now a legit QB competition. You saw what happened in Seattle last year. I just need Flynn to push Pryor like Wilson.

40. fordmandalay says: Apr 1, 2013 12:56 PM

I can’t understand why Palmer would want to go to the Cardinal failboat, but at least he’s a competent NFL QB, which is a major upgrade for them. Now they can get back to their normal yearly 7-9 record instead of 5-11. Ah, comfy mediocrity.

41. brutus9448 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:01 PM

he might sign a multi year deal but I bet his guarantee money will be around 13m or so

42. mikebrownfaux says: Apr 1, 2013 1:02 PM

I can’t wait till this guys career is over, and he has a”candid” interview, with someone to explain his reasoning for leaving Cincinnati.. He says he wants to be play for a “contender” and ironically if he was still where he should be, he would be on a team setup better than both Tampa, and Arizona.. The Bengals recent success have been done without either of the picks they received from Oakland. That’s the funniest thing of all of this, he will be in Arizona or Tampa watching the Bengals draft a guy this year, that they received from his trade to go to Oakland

43. deliveredbysherpa says: Apr 1, 2013 1:02 PM

“logicalvoicesays” is misnamed.

44. manlyaldavis says: Apr 1, 2013 1:03 PM

Palmer is better than half the qbs out there, if AZ gets an average O line, Cards will compete for a playoff spot in a very tough division. Smart move for both teams( Oak and AZ).

45. cardinalsfan87 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:03 PM

He is an upgrade from the pathetic qb’s we got but they still have to draft their future guy.

46. justwinbaby29 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:07 PM

I didn’t think Palmer was as bad as some Raider fans thought he was but it’s time for him to go. All the Al Davis/Hue Jackson mistakes need to go. Period.

47. panthers34 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:07 PM

His career seems to mirror Boomer Eisason. Not a lot of playoff success but nice numbers, bounces around, both played with the Bengals and Cardinals, etc.

48. nyyjetsknicks says: Apr 1, 2013 1:10 PM

I think google is broken. I searched “Carson Palmer accomplishments” and nothing came up.

49. jbaxt says: Apr 1, 2013 1:11 PM

If I was given the option of reducing my salary and playing wherever they’ll trade me, or keeping my contract, forcing them to pay me 13 million, or cutting me then play wherever I wanted??? Sorry but all the fans could kiss it, I’d be taking my 13 million or playing wherever I wanted. Either way, Oakland looks stupid, once again.

50. chodetoranto says: Apr 1, 2013 1:14 PM

It’s as if they think trading Palmer (to which these morons mortgaged they future) will change the fact that their bonafide losers. They just need to accept the fact that their bottom feeders, heck that’s what they have been for the last decade lol.

51. radrntn says: Apr 1, 2013 1:16 PM

cardsfann1 says:
    Apr 1, 2013 12:55 PM
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

because he would not pick the cards, he would choose to go where he wants…the niners, hawks, bucs, or browns.

52. Cereal says: Apr 1, 2013 1:21 PM

Losing teams trade for Palmer’s & Flynn’s….eek

53. raiderlyfe510 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:21 PM

I must have been the only one watching Raider games last year, because Carson Palmer is pretty damn good.

Flynn is a severe downgrade. People will soon realize.

54. joetoronto says: Apr 1, 2013 1:23 PM

jbaxt says:
    Apr 1, 2013 1:11 PM
    ***************************************************
    Check out the Chiefs fan, Matt Cassel and now Alex Smith.

LOL!

55. westcoastraider says: Apr 1, 2013 1:23 PM

jbaxt says:
    Apr 1, 2013 1:11 PM
    —————-

How? We’re trading a old flaccid qb, that as you pointed out is due 13 million and could have chosen his destination of choice after being cut (which the entire nfl knows) and getting something out of it… If anyone looks stupid it’s you for not seeing that we came out on top of this deal, we’re clearing Palmer off the books and getting some young talent out of it.. Nice try tho

56. nflfolly says: Apr 1, 2013 1:23 PM

Oakland cant keep any good players they are leaving in droves. Reggie Mckenzie fired after 2- 14 next year.

57. MyTeamsAllStink says: Apr 1, 2013 1:24 PM

The Raiders actually making out well in a trade?Are dogs and cats living together yet?

58. luz56 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:24 PM

This is a great move for the Cardinals… Instant upgrade over the past three years of futile quarterbacks… They want to compete and without a quarterback they were destined for last place…. NFC West is tough!…. They might win 7 games with this pick up, but at least they will be entertaining

59. fraleyr says: Apr 1, 2013 1:29 PM

only thing on the rise for this franchise are their interceptions

60. rippa941 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:31 PM

Dear world: Palmer WILL NOT be traded to arizona. ..can’t believe you guys are falling for this nonsense.. He will be a BUC very soon..Josh Freeman career completion % is 58% and palmers % is 61%….no brainer

61. threedeep1998 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:35 PM

Logicalvoice is the best part of PFT comment section. Reels each and every person into his gimmick…

62. ckinthekc99 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:35 PM

Matt Flynn > Alex Smith

Chiefs 2 2nd rounders for Smith, Oakland 2 6th rounders for Flynn

Niners > Seahawks obviously

63. damcmp says: Apr 1, 2013 1:40 PM

These running QBs are going to fade like a bad paint job…..

64. sellout1983 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:42 PM

Palmer will be out of Oakland before the Bengals can use the other pick they got for him!

65. thraiderskin says: Apr 1, 2013 1:42 PM

Holy Crap Logical, give it a rest… I know what you are doing, but every article?

66. kuhawks2010 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:44 PM

nflfolly says:
    Apr 1, 2013 1:23 PM

——————————————————–I think the GM is trying to clean up the mess he was dealt with. What good players have left? You mean the overpaid and overdrafted players that Al Davis brought in. Raider fans kill me! Your past owner left you in cap hell.. I read you guys are carrying over 40 mil in dead money against the cap. Give your GM a chance to clean up the mess.

67. whoknowsnothing says: Apr 1, 2013 1:49 PM

I hope its only for a 5th round pick, anything else would be like Kolb deal all over again.

68. bengalswhodey says: Apr 1, 2013 1:52 PM

I know everyone wants to call him a quitter and rag on him, but is there anyone in the NFL who has played for two worse organizations. Cincy did nothing to help him and the Raiders speak for themselves. Is he forcing his way out of these places? Yea, but can you really blame him?

69. stevenwilliams2013 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:52 PM

Don’t call it comeback, Carson Palmer has been here for years.

70. datmilehighswagistoodamnhigh says: Apr 1, 2013 1:55 PM

Finally Fitz gets a semi decent QB! Oakland is a joke of a franchise, if the cards get some O-line help Palmer will be fine. Bout time

71. tdl8 says: Apr 1, 2013 1:57 PM

jbaxt says:
    Apr 1, 2013 1:11 PM

———————————-

Oh really?! You must have forgot that Palmer’s salary isn’t guaranteed until week one of the season so Oakland could keep him all the way up until the day before the 1st game trying to make a deal for him or getting him to take a pay cut before they cut him!
    Then he would miss all of camp(because the Raiders would sit him out knowing he isn’t gonna be there) and no team would be willing to pick him up that late! He would miss the season for being a crybaby unless a team had a season ending QB injury!
    Then next year he would be lucky to find a team that would want a worthless old QB that cried his way out of 2 cities already with a year and a half of rust on him!

So tell me again who would look stupid?

72. fearthehoody says: Apr 1, 2013 2:00 PM

1st JaWALRUS Russell, then Jason Campbell, now Carson Palmer! What do I do with those 3 Raider jerseys now????

– Said no one!

73. 90210g says: Apr 1, 2013 2:05 PM

Burn those jerseys!

74. djjackson81 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:08 PM

I’ll take Palmer if it spells the end of Skelton on the roster. If AZ can get a pick for Hoyer cool.

75. tdk24 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:10 PM

Don’t buy a jersey of any player these days, it’s not worth it. Either get one with your own name on it or don’t get one at all.

76. kenny328usa says: Apr 1, 2013 2:13 PM

logicalvoicesays says: Apr 1, 2013 12:27 PM

—————————————————-

You are a total moron with no football knowledge

77. aldavis4president says: Apr 1, 2013 2:13 PM

Carson Palmer threw for 4k yds and 25tds with no WRs and no run game…I’d say Fitz iz way better then anyone we (raiders) got x9999 lol…cardinals run game is the worst in the league but if they solely concentrate on drafting Oline and a solid RB..you got yourself a very nice squad out there in the desert. Carson Palmer is way better then most of you idiots think lol.

78. zinn22 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:15 PM

Stanton needs to go back to the Jets. He could battle Garrard for the starting job.

79. bradygirl12 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:21 PM

To this day it astounds me that Larry Fitz has not demanded to be traded to a contender. It’s just been one bad QB after another,with the exception of Kurt Warner. What could he possibly like about being there since 2004???
    Carson Palmer is on his way out,so once again,Arizona is showing that they don’t care about winning.

80. rubicon202 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:22 PM

I would be impessed if Reggie pulls off this trade, gets a draft pick and works out a Matt Fylnn deal…that would be like WHOA!

81. aldog83 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:27 PM

Hope Palmer ends up in Arizona…

So he can get Pounded by 49ers , Hawks, and even Rams!

82. thingamajig says: Apr 1, 2013 3:04 PM

If the Cardinals have any brains they’ll let the Bucs outbid them.

83. seaeagle707 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:21 PM

The Cardinals should take a page from the Seahawks playbook and bench Palmer. Just because you’ll be paying him better, doesn’t mean that you’ll absolutely have to use him.

84. gpack22 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:24 PM

Pffft, even with Palmer AZ still won’t have a QB. Palmer sucks when the game starts or on the line. His numbers last year were inflated after being down by 2 td’s or more playing catch up against soft defenses in the second half. He’s a solid back up at best at this point in his career. Raiders fans should be happy he’s on his way out.

85. raideralex99 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:30 PM

nflfolly says:
    Apr 1, 2013 1:23 PM

_________________________________
    The cap mess like the Ravens had … Ozzie had no trouble cleaning it up.
    Raiders were 8-8 with a top 10 offence in Hue first year … all that had to be fixed is the defence. Fire Hue … same offence … bottom of the league in scoring … great job Reggie.
    Face it … it’s a plan for the Raiders to be 0-16 … low attendance … move/sell team PERIOD!

86. Grinds My Gear says: Apr 1, 2013 4:07 PM

Not sure how Raiders can hate Palmer. Trading him to Arizona is a double-win if he can lead them to two victories against the 49ers next year. Heck, I wish Palmer would return the form. The guy has been put in some of the worst organizations in the league, Raiders were far from rebuilding when he came on board, and Bengals never spend any money.

87. brant76 says: Apr 1, 2013 4:27 PM

Well if this does come to pass Carson will have played for the two cheapest, skinflint owners in Mike Brown and the Bidwell family. Have fun with that. Props to Reggie if he can actually get anything in return for Carson. I also can’t help but think if Al Davis hasd been alive that trade would never have happened. Despite being old and a bit batty, Al was a smart enough football guy to know that a dude sitting on his couch all year isn’t going to come in and save your season, and would never have given up a 1 and a 2 for him.

88. lo6icalvoice says: Apr 1, 2013 4:33 PM

Even if Palmer plays the best football of his career, they still finish last in that division… The 3 best defenses in football right now account for half of his schedule.

89. censormynameandmycomments says: Apr 1, 2013 5:39 PM

I don’t want Palmer. Why do they want a 33 y/o QB? Just draft one, for the love. That’s how you get a QB for the next 10 years. You draft one. You don’t pick up the scraps from around the league. You draft a QB, develop him, and hope he turns into something special. And when you draft a guy that doesn’t work out, YOU DRAFT A NEW GUY. This is so typical of the stupid, wrongheadedness of the Cardinals front office. Palmer is not the future. He’s a bandaid. I want hope for the future. A young QB gives that hope. 33 y/o QBs don’t.

90. kenstabler says: Apr 1, 2013 5:53 PM

Can’t wait to see him get crushed in AZ. Horrible O-line, no running game at all and Carson has the mobility of a tackling dummy.

Good luck

91. cchicinfan says: Apr 1, 2013 5:54 PM

This could have been a great move if Cardinals still had Horton as their DC. Their defense last year was impressive and if they could get one of the Big 3 left tackles in the draft to help their OL, then they would have improved immensely. Palmer to Fitzgerald would be intriguing and fun to watch, even as a Hawk fan. However, I suspect Horton was a big part of their defensive success.

92. masterblaster78 says: Apr 1, 2013 6:12 PM

So long Palmer. I liked you when you came on board, but not for the price that was paid for you. Now you’re acting like a spoiled child. Yeah, I know you didn’t have much to work with, but where is the leadership and loyality? This doesn’t say much about you. Any who’s, good luck with Arizona cause you really didn’t get with a better team, only I believe a worse team.

93. realskipbayless says: Apr 1, 2013 7:36 PM