Raiders will let Flynn “compete and battle”

Matt+Flynn+Tennessee+Titans+v+Seattle+Seahawks+qHvp4AsP8iel Getty Images

The Raiders have announced the acquisition of quarterback Matt Flynn.  And just as it was when we spoke to G.M. Reggie McKenzie at the Scouting Combine, “competition” remains the buzz word for the position.

“We’re going to let him compete and battle, and see what happens,” McKenzie said of Flynn in the team’s press release.  “We know Raider Nation wants a team that can compete for the playoffs year-in and year-out and we’re putting in the necessary work right now to make that happen.  This is one of the many decisions in that process.”

McKenzie also touted Flynn’s potential but freely acknowledged that, for now, potential is all that Flynn has shown.

“I’ve known Matt Flynn since 2007 and scouted him before and after he entered the NFL,” McKenzie said.  “Matt is a tough football player, and a talented quarterback.  He will get the opportunity to compete to be a starter with the Raiders.  I believe Matt has that potential, but I also know he hasn’t had enough experience.”

He’ll get the experience if he can win the starting job.  If he can’t, sooner or later the assessment of his potential fairly should be questioned.

Permalink 70 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
70 Responses to “Raiders will let Flynn “compete and battle””
  1. goraidersgospurs says: Apr 1, 2013 2:36 PM

thats what I wanna hear, plus thanks pft for making today raider day classy move!!!

2. stevenray72 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:36 PM

So much doubt from a GM that has just traded for a QB

3. mondosalvo says: Apr 1, 2013 2:36 PM

He was behind Rodgers in GB and then Russell Wilson got the better of him in Seattle. But I agree…if he can’t beat out Pryor in Oakland, his rep is all smoke and mirrors.

4. sharksman says: Apr 1, 2013 2:37 PM

You don’t say ? Im shocked lol

5. mullman76 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:38 PM

Reg needs to get two late rounders for Carson.

Then it will be a sweet deal.

6. radrntn says: Apr 1, 2013 2:38 PM

Fact is next year QB draft is so much deeper. It will be even better if some of the underclassmen declare. Quite possibly the best QB class in the past decade.

Everybody knew Reggie was going to clean up the cards he was dealt, but took me by surprise that he is pretty much getting a whole new deck.

7. rubicon202 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:39 PM

WOW, Reg pulled that one off…I wonder about the particulars of the contract more specifically draft picks…good job Reggie, good job.

8. trbowman says: Apr 1, 2013 2:40 PM

Battle with Pryor? That’ll be over quickly.

9. trbowman says: Apr 1, 2013 2:41 PM

Generic QB quote that will come from Flynn – “I’m just thankful for a chance to come in and compete. I’m just going to work hard and get better everyday.”

PR guys need to come up with something new one of these days.

10. tdk24 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:42 PM

11. berniemadoffsides says: Apr 1, 2013 2:42 PM

Super Bowl…

12. trbowman says: Apr 1, 2013 2:44 PM

‘I like the idea of making both Qb’s look over their shoulder. Should make each better in the long run. You have to “earn” the starting spot.”

It’s a waste in this situation, imo. I can’t think they seriously think Pryor can win that job. They’re better off giving Flynn the vast majority of reps than splitting them up. He’ll be better off that way.

13. doctorfootball says: Apr 1, 2013 2:45 PM

Raiders are always looking for the quick fix. I’m sure this will blow up in their faces. Nothing to see here

14. benroethlisberger7 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:46 PM

Matt Flynn was the epitome of average at LSU and just because of one freak game where he had 6 TDs, he’s one of the more sought QBs. I don’t care. It’s their loss.

15. whiskeywaters says: Apr 1, 2013 2:48 PM

Of course they’re going to let Flynn compete for the starting job…….why else would they trade for him?

16. titogetmesometissue says: Apr 1, 2013 2:50 PM

It may seem obvious, but I bet Viking fans wish their quarterbacks would have to “battle” for the position, rather than be annointed the started for no reason until their performance is so bad that the coach has no choice but to bench em..

17. tharoostah says: Apr 1, 2013 2:50 PM

Rec Grossman is available.

18. silvernblak says: Apr 1, 2013 2:55 PM

So, trading future draft pics for a possible starter is the new regimes way of doing things? I heard Vince Young had a very good pro day and would of come on the cheap, with experience and no trading pics for him. Then trade Palmer for more pics would have been the best deal they could have made considering our cap problems with our rebuilding transition. That would have been the DEAL! Buy cheap sell high!…….

19. mungman69 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:56 PM

In like Flynn.

20. johngaltwho says: Apr 1, 2013 2:56 PM

Wow, they got him for nothing. I’d like to see what he can do. Hard to tell. Personally I think Seattle shoulda kept him unless the savings free up enough cap space to replace him with a more immediate need.

Seahawks and 49ers are both cycle teams. Suck for years, stockpile high draft picks, buy some free agents, and hope you win before you have to pay your young stars. Then go back to sucking again for 5 years. No surprise they’re both all in to try to “win now”.

21. coltzfan166 says: Apr 1, 2013 2:56 PM

He should win this time. I would be shocked if he didn’t.

22. wrenches2pipes says: Apr 1, 2013 2:56 PM

It’s kind of sad watching the state of the Raiders and Chiefs. From 60’s on they were awesome to watch. I’m from the east coast , when I was a kid we went to Patriot games and they usually got their butts kicked. Times have changed. Buck Buchanan gave me his chinstrap on the field at Fenway Park after a game once. I was hooked thereafter. My brother took it and I never saw it again.

23. nodaclu says: Apr 1, 2013 2:57 PM

trbowman says: Apr 1, 2013 2:44 PM

—————————————————————-

100% agree on one hand.

On the other hand, Letting Pryor believe that he has a legit shot at the starting job means he’ll work harder, and be better prepared to play if Flynn goes down.

Because right now, unless they sign a veteran hanger-on as the 3rd stringer, they have basically ZERO QB experience on the roster, and you need Pryor to at least have a clue if you don’t want to be blown out in every game for the rest of the season.

24. bigtganks says: Apr 1, 2013 3:00 PM

What’s he gonna say “Pryor or any other QB in camp has to realize they will never be the starter”.

It’s called competition to get the best out of both of them. Making them work for it. Surprised some haters take this as a lack of confidence…

25. tiredofblatheringnflexperts says: Apr 1, 2013 3:01 PM

I wonder how Matt feels about “vibe” in the building?

26. raiderbeliever says: Apr 1, 2013 3:03 PM

I believe plainly that Pryor can win games. I believe he has that ‘it’ factor about him. I’m not so certain about Flynn. He seems to telegraph passes, sort of throws like Sanchez, lots of effort and the ball still floats or seems to take too long to get to the reciever. I saw all of this in watching his highlights. He has, however, thrown some nice deep balls on the money but there is nothing about Flynn that impresses me.

That said, I don’t believe that even if Pryor beats him out in practice/preseason, that Pryor will get the start.

Time will tell. I would love the Raiders to get it together now, but it looks like a couple years before that happens.

27. aldog83 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:04 PM

We have now traded a 4th for J.Campbell. A 3rd for Terelle Pryor. A 1st and a 2nd for Carson Palmer. A 5th for Flynn plus another 5th to 7th (conditional) We have essentially Traded an entire draft in recent years for The Quarterback position…..and we are having a wait and see competition!!!!!!

DAMMIT!!!!!!!

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!

28. MyTeamsAllStink says: Apr 1, 2013 3:08 PM

Hey Al Davis and Hue Jackson..THAT’S how you make a deal.

29. bnwpnw says: Apr 1, 2013 3:10 PM

Here we go again. But this one I think he’s gonna win. Looking forward to seeing what he can do as a season-long starter.

Hawks may regret letting him go. Many a strong season of late has ended with a QB injury and a backup tossed into the deep end who gives the team zero chance. Minnesota, Washington, Houston, Chicago fans can probably all relate…

30. davidbrookings1 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:12 PM

@tharootsah – Rex Grossman would beat him out for real if they were on the same team

31. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 1, 2013 3:19 PM

“I heard Vince Young had a very good pro day”

+++++++++++

The pro day this year, or the one 8 years ago when he actually belonged there?

Vince Young is an idiot who has no business ever being on a football field again.

He got his shot, three times now, and botched them.
    His name should never be mentioned as a possibility in the NFL again.

32. raiderapologist says: Apr 1, 2013 3:19 PM

doctorfootball says: Apr 1, 2013 2:45 PM

————-
    If you had been paying any attention to what McKenzie has been doing, it would be obvious that the Raiders are not looking for the quick fix. It’s exactly the opposite. But feel free to spread your ignorance as you see fit, doctor.

33. BigBeachBall says: Apr 1, 2013 3:20 PM

Chargers
    Chiefs
    Broncos
    Raidars

34. raideralex99 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:21 PM

MyTeamsAllStink says:
    Apr 1, 2013 3:08 PM
    Hey Al Davis and Hue Jackson..THAT’S how you make a deal.

____________________________________
    Are you kidding me … trading 2 picks for a QB who has started only one game and was a 7th rounder … ok buddy … GREAT TRADE!

35. hater79 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:21 PM

Who will start more games for his team this year.

Type 1 for RG3
    Type 2 for Matt Flynn

36. raiderlyfe510 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:23 PM

Flynn would have fit in well with our West Coast Offense last year.

This year under Greg Olson??? I don’t know. I thought Palmer was the perfect fit for our offense this year.

37. jjackwagon says: Apr 1, 2013 3:31 PM

Where are all those Raider fans talking about how Palmer never had a legit chance in Cincy and how he was going to be a superstar in Oakland? Now Palmers about to get the boot and the next big thing is Flynn.

Flynn is what he is, average. And couldn’t beat out a rookie in Seattle.

38. raideralex99 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:37 PM

Let’s see …
    Pryor started one game … the last game of the season where players don’t even try.
    Flynn started one game … same as above.

One of these QBs will get the chance to start their SECOND game of their career … WOW Super Bowl bound Reggie!

39. jimyritz says: Apr 1, 2013 3:40 PM

Matt Flynn–woooohoooo!!!

Talk about wasting draft picks on QB’s….

I feel for you Raider’s fans…

40. hehateme2 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:42 PM

“We know Raider Nation wants a team that can compete for the playoffs year-in and year-out and ….

had to stop reading there. LOL!

41. frozeninfear says: Apr 1, 2013 3:43 PM

Reggis McKenzie saw a lot of Matt Flynn when both were in Green Bay. McKenzie is comfortable with giving Flynn the starting job. I suspect McKenzie with trade down and trade down and trade down again to pick up a bunch of good players in the second and third rounds plus more picks in 2014.

42. filthymcnasty1 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:44 PM

How refreshing!

The Vikings are afraid of wounding Ponder’s confidence with something as inherently evil as competition for the starting role.

43. rdrs68 says: Apr 1, 2013 3:47 PM

For those who have been vacationing on the planet URanus-Al has left the building-he ain’t around anymore and he’s not coming back anytime soon. Please freshen up all you tired old ill informed Raider comments and take another look-change is in the air.

44. returntoexcellence says: Apr 1, 2013 3:48 PM

jjackwagon says:
    Apr 1, 2013 3:31 PM
    ____________________________________

You mean to tell me that Raider fans are hopeful when new players come aboard and hope they work out for the best? What is this world coming to?

Putz

45. Cereal says: Apr 1, 2013 3:49 PM

I dont think Flynn is the answer but its a step in the right direction cutting ties with beach bum Carson Palmer. Flynn could surprise, I respect McKenzie & he knows him as well as anyone. I wonder if Flynn will be competing against Geno Smith ?

46. mondosalvo says: Apr 1, 2013 3:50 PM

“And couldn’t beat out a rookie in Seattle.”

If ROTY voting included the post-season, Russell Wilson would’ve walked away with the award. He would’ve snuffed out any backup’s chances.

47. 4superbowls says: Apr 1, 2013 3:52 PM

I would have liked my Vikes to make a play for Flynn. Plus, it totally fits with our MO of signing ex-Packers.

48. raiderdaddy says: Apr 1, 2013 4:07 PM

Folks, this Flynn acquisition – its about the RAIDERS dumping a huge contract with a so-so QB! Nothing more! If Flynn dont work-out, its on the cheap..NO BIGGIE! RAiiiiDDERRZZZZZZZ!

49. sb50 says: Apr 1, 2013 4:10 PM

I wonder what this does to Geno Smith’s draft stock since he seemed to be a top 10 pick but all of the teams in the top 10 seem to be getting their starting QB from trades, free agency, or sticking with their previous starter.

KC- Alex Smith
    Jacksonville- Blaine Gabbert or Chad Henne
    Oakland-Matt Flynn
    Philly- Vick or Foles
    Detroit- Matt Stafford
    Cleveland- Brandon Weeden
    Arizona- Carson Palmer
    Buffalo-Kevin Kolb
    NYJ- who knows
    Tennessee- Locker I guess

I know most of these teams are still gonna give him a look (JAX, Philly, NYJ) but it’s very possible to see Geno slip to the Bengals or Vikings late in the first round

50. 90210g says: Apr 1, 2013 4:11 PM

He will lose to TP for starting spot!
    Write it down !
    There is no way TP will let a qb that couldn’t beat out JaWalrus beat him out!

51. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Apr 1, 2013 4:15 PM

Flynn v. Pryor: The Showdown.

Now that’s some must-see NFL TV right there. The whole nation will be on edge.

52. UPYRS says: Apr 1, 2013 4:15 PM

And the Raider franchise continues to go down the toilet. Can’t Win Flynn at the helm, Reggie in the FO, ….With the first pick in the 2014 NFL draft the 0 and 16 Raiders select… Homer Dud Punter from Montana State.

53. raiderlyfe510 says: Apr 1, 2013 4:17 PM

hehateme2 says:
    Apr 1, 2013 3:42 PM

had to stop reading there. LOL!
    ————————————————–
    Yeah we were a team contending for the playoffs in 2010 and 2011 before McKenzie and Allen came.

I would say we’re back to square 1, but we’re not even close to square 1. It’ll be a couple of years(new head coach, new QB) before we’re at square 1 of the building process.

54. 4superbowls says: Apr 1, 2013 4:20 PM

@90210

What? I think you might be mixing up your teams…

55. 4superbowls says: Apr 1, 2013 4:25 PM

@90210

My bad, you’re talking about LSU. Never mind…

56. raiderjer says: Apr 1, 2013 4:27 PM

I say we keep Palmer, wait him out, he will hate sitting the bench and possibly retire again. The team should say take a deal or sit

57. malab377 says: Apr 1, 2013 4:38 PM

The guy started the last game in 2011… and started on week 15 in 2010 (after playing much of the week 14).

Still, Flynn only has 2,5 NFL games in his career. I’m not saying he’s a bad QB, but Matt Cassell was good with the Patriots and he played more games. Look what he did in KC… I don’t think the Raiders have found their messiah here!

58. hawkdawg88 says: Apr 1, 2013 4:43 PM

Not all rookies are created equal.

59. sicklnick121 says: Apr 1, 2013 4:55 PM

Wow please give up on this Pryor stuff. He will beat Flynn out, but still will not get a chance to start. Pryor has the IT factor. Really what IT? Get a clue..

Im willing to bet we let Pryor go if he doesnt accept a position change. Or maybe trade him for a 6th or 7th on draft day. Then maybe sign a vet to back up Flynn.

60. vegagreenleaf says: Apr 1, 2013 5:22 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I like Flynn, but you’ve gotta love the irony. The guy who couldn’t beat out Jamarcus in college, the likely starter for the team that cut Russell!

61. cchicinfan says: Apr 1, 2013 5:31 PM

it is refreshing to hear a GM speak honestly about a player-not all hype through rose colored glasses. I am not a Raiders fan (grew up in San Diego and hated the Raiders), but the worst break I have seen in a long time was Jason Campbell’s (pun intended), he had them moving in the right direction until his injury, which lead to the Palmer disaster to begin with. Not only did the Raiders lose on that one, but Campbell lost his chance to prove his bones. Always felt bad about that.

I do hope Flynn gets his chance to prove himself, he has been an asset in Seattle.

62. chawk12thman says: Apr 1, 2013 5:31 PM

Good Luck Flynn. I would like to say I am sorry we didn’t get a chance to see what you could do, but as it turned out, Wilson is a franchise QB and that is just the way it is in the NFL. Hope it works out great for you.

63. The Prophet says: Apr 1, 2013 5:41 PM

He won’t do well because he’s outside that awesome GB Packer system of incredible receivers and effective passing playcalling. Flynn lit up 600 yards and 6 TD’s in one game in that system! Flynn’s failures outside of GB are proof that it was the system and receivers responsible for the killer pass offense, not the QB.

64. tatum064 says: Apr 1, 2013 6:17 PM

The reality; Palmer is due a combined $28 million in base salary the next two years while Flynn is due a combined $11.5 million.

The key is if McKenzie is able to trade Palmer — even for a low-round draft pick, as expected, it seems like a low-risk deal for the Raiders.

65. lambeauleep says: Apr 1, 2013 6:22 PM

This poor guy, what a no win situation he’s going into. Can anyone name a receiver for the Raiders.

Well at least he’s away from the train wreck thats heading for Seattle. Once Wilson falls on his face this year they’re gonna wish they still had Flynn.

BTW, as a Packer fan I’ve been watching Flynn for years. I’m convinced he can be a quality starter in this league. Maybe in the Schaub/E. Manning/Falco range.

66. vipod4ever says: Apr 1, 2013 6:54 PM

Flynn is simply “parking space” until the ’14 qb draft class. If he can’t win the job vs. Pryor, he will be a backup for life. A good move by Reginald, it gives him a cheaper choice, and allows him to re-load the defense, which has been a mess for years. 2013 probably will see the same amount of wins, unless Pryor or Flynn step-up, and become legit starters.

The Raiders front office are making the right moves, and shedding the mess that was the lat 10 years. However, until they have that legit starting qb, this franchise will not win on a regular basis.

Let’s hope they do, because the NFL is a much better place when we can either “hate” them or cheer for them.

67. chazzmon says: Apr 1, 2013 7:24 PM

I think the Seahawks basically gave away Flynn do he wouldn’t end up in Arizona.

68. lambeauleep says: Apr 1, 2013 7:42 PM

The Prophet says:
    Apr 1, 2013 5:41 PM

____________________________________
    Remind me again how Flynn failed. As I remember it, he won the starting job in Seattle until the elbow injury. Wilson just never did anything to lose the job after that.

Still gonna be nice to watch Wilson and the Seahawks fall flat on their faces this year.
    Can someone say “train wreck”?

69. ilovefoolsball says: Apr 1, 2013 8:13 PM

The Oakland Raiders have not been good recently so I wonder how much Flynn really likes this.

They do have good weather there and hey it could be worse..

he could’ve had to live in Jacksonville.

70. spedman24 says: Apr 1, 2013 10:44 PM