Chargers disagree with Mathews’ “complacent” comment

Donald Butler AP

It was one thing for Chargers running back Ryan Mathews to talk about his own problems last week on NFL Network, attributing his injuries to bad luck and too much contact.

But when he spoke on larger team issues, and said they were “just complacent,” at times under coach Norv Turner, that drew the attention of his teammates and pointed to larger issues.

Issues which, on the first day of the offseason program of new coach Mike McCoy and new general manager Tom Telesco, they’d have preferred to not address.

Linebacker Donald Butler replied “Not at all,” when asked if Mathews spoke for the entire locker room.

I just wish he would have spoken for himself,” Butler said, via Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego. “That’s all. Just speak for yourself. Don’t make generalized statements like that about the whole team. . . .

“I haven’t got a chance to talk to him, but I’m sure he knows that. It is what is. Just speak on yourself, and that’s it.”

Likewise, center Nick Hardwick, who is entering his 10th year with the team, tried to separate himself from his running back’s remarks.

“You need to know exactly what you’re doing. Spend a ton of time in those meeting rooms, dialing it in, getting prepared because you know on the weekend, at some point, [stuff] is going to hit the fan, and you’d better know what the heck is going on.”

While working under a new administration will allow Mathews to move past this one at some point, he clearly hurt some feelings. While the easiest thing to do in the NFL is blame all the problems on the fired guy or guys, the ones that remained got painted with his broad brush too.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
13 Responses to “Chargers disagree with Mathews’ “complacent” comment”
  1. toybkshr says: Apr 2, 2013 9:16 AM

Actually, I approx 2 full Chargers Games in 2012, it
    certainly looked at times that Mathews is speaking the truth.

2. mikebyrne1502 says: Apr 2, 2013 9:17 AM

This guy looks and sounds like a winner??

I’m over this guys drama about the team and himself, if you don’t want to be a bust do like hardwick said and get your butt in the film room and look at what you’ve done and what you can improve on, or you can read every comment on every posting site, we worry about your fragile body, we are worried about your fumbles, and most of all I question your heart and how much you care about being good/great. No one here thinks your going to be LT, but as of yet you’ve fails to even prove you should be the starter.

3. Phintastic says: Apr 2, 2013 9:23 AM

“Just from my own personal standpoint, I throw up before every game,” Hardwick said. “I know what kind of work it’s going to take to even get through a game, let alone to win a game. There is a ton of work that’s involved in every single game, and you go throughout the week that very same way.”

Wow… That’s some serious focus and dedication!

4. patfic15 says: Apr 2, 2013 9:34 AM

Mathews grew complacent being healthy and decided to break bones every time he was tackled.

5. raiderapologist says: Apr 2, 2013 10:14 AM

Soft as a kitten and a locker room favorite to boot.

6. joetoronto says: Apr 2, 2013 10:16 AM

What a mess that team is, choo choo!

7. shots732000 says: Apr 2, 2013 10:35 AM

Coming from a guy that had two broken clavicles and a touchdown for the season. Nice try Ryan.

8. scottytboltfan says: Apr 2, 2013 10:36 AM

Tell me something I don’t know. If you watched the Charger games every week and the effort (or lack there of) you knew this team did not get 100% out of every player.

Every year for at least 3 years, this team would come out totally flat for 2-4 games.

9. scrp2 says: Apr 2, 2013 11:37 AM

Ryan – if he’s not injured, he’s fumbling. He catches a lot of flak here in San Diego because he’s supposed to be Ladanian II. His best bet would be to stay away from the press and keep quiet. He could have said San Diego is too Sunny and Nick Hardwick would have countered with “No, sometimes it’s cloudy with a chance of rain and I wish he wouldn’t speak for the team. I guess the new regime is stuck with him (Blame A.J.).

10. silvernblak says: Apr 2, 2013 12:08 PM

I saw the interview and he basically said most of the time ” I thnk” before every comment. Its pretty clear he was not saying ” our team thinks”. Grown men can even play the drama queen card. They already know what this year is going to bring for as results as a team. They are already pouting and quarrelling about it in the locker room. AFC West bottom feeders!

11. hsatpft says: Apr 2, 2013 12:44 PM

Another guy getting himself in trouble because he didn’t know when to avoid the truth & repeat platitudes.

12. jaialaicharger says: Apr 2, 2013 2:23 PM

joetoronto says:Apr 2, 2013 10:16 AM

What a mess that team is, choo choo!

——

This coming from a raider fan? coo coo

13. jman667 says: Apr 2, 2013 2:47 PM

Wasn’t this the guy who showed up to training camp out of shape in 2011, then got hurt. Then got hurt again in 2012. Dude has ability, but appears to be made of glass and may not have the desire to be a top notch RB. Cut the ties sooner than later, draft a gritty RB in the 3rd or 4th round and roll with him. Guy isn’t even 4 years into the league and he’s talking about taking less hits.

Child please.