Newman stays in Cincinnati at $2.5 million per year

Newman Getty Images

Like plenty of veteran free agents, cornerback Terence Newman was unable to find a big-money, multi-year contract.

Unlike many veteran free agents, Newman opted to sign a two-year contract instead of a one-year deal that would have given him another crack at the open market in 2014.

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Newman will make $3 million in 2013 and $2 million in 2014.  The cap numbers are the same, meaning that the Bengals derived no cap benefit by locking Newman up for a second season.

Newman will receiver a $100,000 workout bonus, a $1.4 million roster bonus, and a $1.5 million base salary in 2013.  Next year, he’ll get a $100,000 workout bonus and a $1.9 million base salary.

The 10-year veteran spent nine seasons in Dallas before joining Cincinnati as a free agent in 2012.  He started 15 games along with the playoff loss to the Texans.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Newman stays in Cincinnati at $2.5 million per year”
  1. ottawabrave91 says: Apr 2, 2013 9:07 PM

I wish I could stay at my job for 2.5 million ……..I would stay a lot of places for that money

2. ukraiders says: Apr 2, 2013 9:19 PM

I highly doubt he got more money from Oakland. We couldn’t afford that. especially on a 35 yr old CB.

3. mickwalker2013 says: Apr 2, 2013 9:56 PM

Like so many, he could have gone out gracefully. Instead he’ll be cut. I have a friend who played OL for the Rams.

He retired at the age of 32 after a pro bowl year. I asked him why he simply said, “Mick, my ass kicker is broke. If I hadn’t retired now they would have cut me next year.” Class act, Dennis Harrah.

4. tiggerblood says: Apr 2, 2013 10:13 PM

Umm Newman was a top 20 corner last year and his knowledge of the game and veteran leadership will only help the young Kirkpatrick develop. Not saying your Rams buddy isn’t classy but Newmans $!& kicker isn’t broke.

5. crownofthehelmet says: Apr 2, 2013 11:29 PM

“Sweet.”

– Big Ben

6. bengalguy says: Apr 3, 2013 3:25 AM

I just hope the rest of the Defense dosen’t come back because they kicked my Arse last year!!!
    -Big Ben