Nnamdi Asomugha joins the 49ers with a chip on his shoulder

Nnamdi Asomugha AP

In his first comments as a member of the 49ers, Nnamdi Asomugha said he’s eager to prove that he still has what it takes to be an elite NFL cornerback.

Asomugha, who’s obviously aware of all the talk that his skills have declined to such an extent that he might not even make the roster in San Francisco, said today that he wants to show everyone just what kind of player he really is.

“My mindset is to come in and compete and be the best I can possibly be,” Asomugha said. “I’ve had a chip on my shoulder every year that I’ve played, I think it’s bigger this year.”

For the 49ers, who got Asomugha without having to give him any guaranteed money, it’s a no-lose deal: If Asomugha doesn’t have anything left, they can cut him. If Asomugha is able to play in San Francisco the way he did during his best years in Oakland, then they’ve gotten a huge addition to their secondary at a bargain-basement price.

And the good news for San Francisco is that Asomugha sounds like he’ll be playing like he has something to prove.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
49 Responses to “Nnamdi Asomugha joins the 49ers with a chip on his shoulder”
  1. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 3, 2013 8:24 PM

The guy has always been over rated. He made his rep playing on horrible Raider teams. The opposing team had no reason to throw his way. They generally had no trouble winning without it.

2. jaimelh02 says: Apr 3, 2013 8:29 PM

Maybe if he spent lest time volunteering and more time on football he would actually help his team make the playoffs for once in his life

3. ghjjf says: Apr 3, 2013 8:35 PM

Namdi is almost as overrated as Revis!

4. bdfun400 says: Apr 3, 2013 8:37 PM

or he joins as an aging player who refuses to admit that his skills and speed have diminished

5. seabreezes51 says: Apr 3, 2013 8:40 PM

A BBQ chip?

6. palmersports says: Apr 3, 2013 8:49 PM

hope he finds a nice parking spot to have lunch in everyday.

7. bigj7769 says: Apr 3, 2013 8:50 PM

The chip doesn’t matter, he still can’t/won’t tackle and barely cover. Over rated and over paid for years

8. filthymcnasty1 says: Apr 3, 2013 8:54 PM

With the amount of money he’s stolen over the past few years, I’m not really buying his feigned outrage.

9. cali49er707 says: Apr 3, 2013 9:02 PM

Note to the annoying Detroit Cryins fans that like to post trash dissing the 9ers.

Your team has not won your division in over 20 years – your team has never won a Superbowl – your team has hosted one Monday night football game in twenty years & your team has not one a playoff game in over twenty years.

So basically your team sucks!!!

10. noring4youstill says: Apr 3, 2013 9:07 PM

So he’s giving interviews while eating his lunch from his 1972 Nissan

11. geo1113 says: Apr 3, 2013 9:11 PM

Last year he played more like he had the whole tree on his shoulders.

12. skarkattack1234 says: Apr 3, 2013 9:11 PM

As a browns fan, I remember back when Oakland came
    To Cle a few years ago. I was at the game. I think dereck Anderson was still qb (though I’m not sure, as we have had so many terrible qbs.)
    I figured we would surly lose that game, Anderson sucked, and whatever loser wr they touted as number 1 was going to be shut down all day, by from what I had been told, was the best cb in the league.

The moment I saw Anderson hit Mohammad Massaqoui wide open in the end zone, having beaten Asomough, I realized this guy is over-rated.

I’m smart enough to realize all of his success was not a fluke. Talent evaluators in the NFL know a lot more than you and I, and they paid Nnamdi. So I assume he showed quite a bit of skill in his time. Even if i never witnessed it. I was always amazed at how quickly he seemed to deteriorate in Phili. I wouldn’t necessarily be excited for him to join my fav team, but I do think it’s a good quality signing from a team that’s making a lot of them.

I’m not sure the niners are as good as everyone thinks they are, but they really don’t have any reason not to be.

13. aldavisisthenfl says: Apr 3, 2013 9:15 PM

I suggest he lose the chip…..he’s friggin’ slow enough…..

14. abninf says: Apr 3, 2013 9:17 PM

SF could benefit from having a player with Dream Team experience.

15. Grulks says: Apr 3, 2013 9:19 PM

i dont know what is more surprising, that people think he really has nothing left un the tank, or that they think he has always been over rated.

It doesnt matter if you play on the best or worst defense in the league. When QBs refuse to throw your direction (esp when in man coverage) bc they know youre more than likely to INT, you have earned your reputation.

Nnamdi didn’t play well in Philly. Its possible he has lost a step, but i think its more probable that his decline is a result of changing the scheme in which he excelled in.

Normal/sane people wouldn’t say RG3, or Russel Wilson, are washed up bc suddenly switching to the Run N Gun, or to a pure west coast offense resulted in them struggling.

If SF plays to his strengths, man/cover 1 (as opposed to Wide 9 they used in Philly), I think youre gonna see a much improved player. He may not return to being the “overated” player he was in Oakland, but hes going to be better than a lot of other DBs out there.

16. EJ says: Apr 3, 2013 9:19 PM

If he plays at 110% for the 49ers this year, that 49er D will be better than last season.

17. jbell33139 says: Apr 3, 2013 9:23 PM

Maybe the chip is whats been wighing him down and allowing opposing receivers to get the jump on his a$$.

18. wherezwaldo says: Apr 3, 2013 9:25 PM

He will be solid this year for the 49ers. I mean come on, they made Carlos Rogers look good.

19. raiderrob21 says: Apr 3, 2013 9:28 PM

Go get em Nam, you are one class guy and have the Raider Nation behind you. Best of luck. Once a Raider, Always a Raider.

20. smokinjoes91 says: Apr 3, 2013 9:39 PM

Wish my team would have taken a flyer on him. I don’t see the downside here. Either he can’t play and you cut him with no loss, or he contributes veteran leadership and respectable skills to your football team. Why didn’t every team in need of DB help go after this guy for that price?

21. chawk12thman says: Apr 3, 2013 9:41 PM

He will make the team as that is the one area that SF has the biggest weakness. Unless they draft a few quality CBs that somehow take the bay by storm, it shouldn’t be a problem for him to make the cut. My guess is that he does fine and fills a need for the next year or two before being cut.

22. msclemons67 says: Apr 3, 2013 9:42 PM

Maybe that chip will help him tackle.

23. bgm9876 says: Apr 3, 2013 9:43 PM

hes getting old.. very old.

24. vikingsnorth says: Apr 3, 2013 9:53 PM

At having to spell and pronounce his name?

25. grandpoopah says: Apr 3, 2013 9:54 PM

That’s funny because he runs like he has an anvil on his shoulders.

26. mjkelly77 says: Apr 3, 2013 10:00 PM

Nnamdi Asomugha joins the 49ers with a chip on his shoulder
    _____________

And lead weights on his feet.

27. eaglesince86 says: Apr 3, 2013 10:06 PM

dont be mad at us because we thought you were an elite corner you got exposed in philly and we let you hear it…bum, screw your chip

28. dolphins4 says: Apr 3, 2013 10:06 PM

So Chip Kelly is on his shoulder.This guy must have big shoulders.

29. raiderinva says: Apr 3, 2013 10:06 PM

It still churns my stomach seeing Nnamdi in an Eagles jersey. I know its a total homer call, but he made some awesome plays and leveling hits in the Silver and Black.

I know that is not the consensus now, however when he does not have to think and is one on one he was a game changing factor. Two years of trying to think about position because of the safety screwed with his head.

Nnamdi is a gazelle, and you let a gazelle run.

30. thebadguyswon says: Apr 3, 2013 10:10 PM

Another paranoid prima dona.

31. faithful209er says: Apr 3, 2013 10:11 PM

palmersports says: Apr 3, 2013 8:49 PM

hope he finds a nice parking spot to have lunch in everyday

————————————-

Oh, you people!!! So silly!!! If only MF didn’t delete all my comments and pretend they were his ideas………….

Asomugha is not going to eat in his car this year. Like any skilled educator, Jim Harbaugh will make him feel like he is a part of the team, and there is NO DOUBT this will change his performance. I have seen hundreds of children do the exact same thing.

32. battlered says: Apr 3, 2013 10:12 PM

Isn’t he already getting 4 million from the Eagles? So not taking any guaranteed money isn’t a story. He’s already guaranteed 4 million. Combined with his San Francisco salary it puts him right in the middle of the cornerback market this year. Plus, he gets to play for super bowl favorites and a defense that will make him look better for a new deal next year.

33. fi1thymcnasty1 says: Apr 3, 2013 10:12 PM

Ted Thompson knew enough not to sign Nnamdi. Ted has won NFL Exec of the Year, not once but TWICE.

34. dabkg says: Apr 3, 2013 10:13 PM

Revis has gone up against some of the best receivers in the NFL today and often dominated. THAT is Not overrated.

Nnamdi however can’t make the same claim. No doubt he’ll have to prove something in camp to see a real paycheck.

35. rcali says: Apr 3, 2013 10:19 PM

Another reason you let somebody else pay your non-QB stars.

36. rajbais says: Apr 3, 2013 10:19 PM

Yes, that chip came from a bag of Doritos that he had during his recent in-car lunch.

37. mullman76 says: Apr 3, 2013 10:29 PM

You fools have no idea. Nnamdi is going to fortify an already formidable defense. Simpletons.

Go RAIDERS

38. db3300 says: Apr 3, 2013 10:44 PM

A chip? Yeah, you and every other player who got “dissed”. You’re just another over 30 CB trying to chase down father time. Don’t look now but some teams 5th receiver just beat you.

39. spinmovr says: Apr 3, 2013 11:01 PM

Nothing wrong with Asomugha’s game. He’s still at least 85% of what he was in the mid ’00s. He made his name covering Vincent Jackson, Rod Smith, Hines Ward and whoever the hell KC had. He locks down slow big dudes with no help, in space and by himself. That’s his strength. Ask him to cover slot receivers or cover an area on the field and you’re in trouble.

If Fitzgerald shreds him in the red zone next year, then you can call Nnamdi done.

40. baymac408 says: Apr 3, 2013 11:21 PM

I really hope he plays with that chip!! Because if he doesn’t he will only get base salary… And be gone!! He probably will have a hard time finding a job if he doesn’t play we’ll so I hope he does! I actually believe he will be ok this season tho.. I really do he has great press skills and speed so maybe if he works well in our man system it will be success!! Stil gotta draft tho! GO NINERS

41. Deb says: Apr 3, 2013 11:38 PM

Grulk is right. Asomugha may have lost a step with age, but his primary problem in Philly was being taken out of his scheme by an offensive-line coach who didn’t know diddly about coaching defense, let alone coaching him. That was one of the most bizarre free-agent/team marriages in NFL history.

42. bert1913 says: Apr 4, 2013 12:06 AM

percy harvin is gonna have fun this season

43. larryjames836 says: Apr 4, 2013 12:48 AM

Who worried about Nnamdi Asomugha’s he wanted to ride with the 49er’s. What players fail to realize playing for the New Orleans Saints you don’t need to walk around with a chip on your shoulder. Saints play all their players that’s the good part about team play, everyone is happy. So Nnamdi Asomugha’s if this what its take for you to get playing time do what you got to do. New Orleans Saints are moving on with are without him.

44. lbmclean says: Apr 4, 2013 1:07 AM

“people paid me alot of money to suck hard and now I am mad!!!” okay dude

45. shkz4 says: Apr 4, 2013 2:11 AM

Can’t wait to see how he’ll play this season…hope he does well. Good Luck Nnamdi

46. polapea says: Apr 4, 2013 5:28 AM

The chip on his shoulder isn’t a problem it’s the lead in his ass. Guy can’t turn and run anymore.

47. kspells12345 says: Apr 4, 2013 5:33 AM

Just watch the last Giants Eagles game from last year. Nnamdi got straight abused for 2 TDs by Rueben Randle – rookie – in single coverage.

The 9ers would be better off drafting a rookie CB.

48. fattyriver says: Apr 4, 2013 6:42 AM

he maybe washed up but we don’t know from the past two years as he played with the two worst starting safeties in the league

49. rg3andthensome says: Apr 4, 2013 6:58 AM

Does Namdi still look like the guy from Kid and Play? With that big eraser head haircut.

He is awful, I mean both of them