Daryl Washington option-bonus delay more about cap than suspension

Washington AP

At first blush, it appeared that the decision to delay Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington’s $10 million option bonus from 2013 to 2014 came from his anticipated four-game suspension for violating the substance-abuse policy.

The move actually had much more to do with salary-cap management.

Per multiple sources with knowledge of the situation, the $10 million option bonus initially was due to be exercised by the last day of the 2013 league year.  Under a new deal executed on March 12, it’s due on the first day of the 2014 league year.

So the delay was, in the end, one day.The one-day delay nevertheless created $2 million in 2013 cap space for the Cardinals.  And it provided no additional financial protection for the Cardinals.

Under either version of the deal, Washington still needs to get through the 2013 season without having any additional violations of the substance-abuse policy to get the money.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
9 Responses to “Daryl Washington option-bonus delay more about cap than suspension”
  1. nyyjetsknicks says: Apr 4, 2013 1:16 PM

Did he come out and blame adderal yet?

2. theuglitruth says: Apr 4, 2013 1:47 PM

@nyjet…

It’s not for PED’s genius.

3. nyyjetsknicks says: Apr 4, 2013 2:29 PM

theuglitruth says:
    Apr 4, 2013 1:47 PM
    @nyjet…

It’s not for PED’s genius.

_______________

Well then maybe I should be taking adderall so I can follow what’s going on.

4. delusionalcardsfan says: Apr 4, 2013 2:39 PM

Give up bowls for Pro Bowls!!

5. jwilliamsspf says: Apr 4, 2013 2:50 PM

This is why I love this guy. Here’s his statement on the whole thing…
    “I was always taught that when you make a mistake, you admit it, learn from it and face whatever consequences there are,” Washington said in a statement. “I take full responsibility and I understand that I let down my teammates, the organization and fans. I apologize for that and promise that no one will work harder to make up for it.”

There are so many good characters on that team. Love my Cards

6. clssylssy says: Apr 4, 2013 4:21 PM

Not to make light of Washington’s transgression however, the alcohol-related incident Steeler’s rookie Alamada Ta’asmu was placed on probation makes a person wonder about the NFL’s substance abuse policy even more. Wonder if they are in the same program!

7. phreakin says: Apr 4, 2013 4:45 PM

jwilliamsspf:

As someone pointed out yesterday, i’d feel a little more warm and fuzzy about D Wash’s statement if this was his first time violating the policy but it’s not. He made a mistake, didn’t fix it, and then made it again and got suspended.

So for his:

“I was always taught that when you make a mistake, you admit it, learn from it and face whatever consequences there are”

He didn’t admit it the first time, he obviously didn’t learn from it, and since there weren’t repercussions the first time, he did it again.

8. theuglitruth says: Apr 4, 2013 11:27 PM

Well, he can promise to make it up to everyone all he wants…but he will always be doubted about staying clean in the future…unfortunately he’s earned that label by being a repeat offender.

9. djjackson81 says: Apr 5, 2013 6:59 PM

Without any further violations we will never look at this again. It is what it is he owned now and we will see.