J.J. Watt’s elbow was never 100 percent last season

JJ Watt, Uche Nwaneri AP

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt dislocated his left elbow in August, causing him to wear a bulky brace on his arm while turning in a season that made him the NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Watt didn’t appear on the injury report as a result of that injury after the first two weeks of the season, but it wasn’t because Watt was totally healed. He told the Texans website this week that things never got totally back to normal in his elbow before the season came to an end.

“All the ligaments in there were torn, they were all gone, so they had to have time to recover and regroup. So obviously, I wasn’t at full strength. The brace helped a lot, but it was more of a mental thing, getting over the thought process of knowing that it was injured and making sure that I could still have confidence in it,” Watt said. “As the season went on, I got more and more confidence in it and obviously, it didn’t hinder me too much; I had some success out there. But (I’m) looking forward to a 100 percent full healthy season.”

Watt says that he’s feeling “great” now and hopes that the brace won’t be necessary during the 2013 season, which should make opposing offenses a bit nervous about the prospect of facing off with Houston. If Watt was able to put up the year he did at less than full strength, the encore should be pretty tough to stop.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “J.J. Watt’s elbow was never 100 percent last season”
  1. rhamrhoddy says: Apr 4, 2013 9:33 AM

If he threw his 77 mph first pitch for the Astros the other day as a lefty, then he’s a fool.

If he threw the pitch with his right arm, then he’s probably just going for symmetry and he’s a genius.

2. sportsmeccabi says: Apr 4, 2013 9:55 AM

This guy was my pick for MVP. I’ve never seen such an unstoppable force coming from the defensive line.

I’m too young to have seen Reggie White play, but based of the highlights I’ve seen, JJ Watt could overtake him for the greatest defensive lineman of all time. Maybe the best overall player.

3. dalucks says: Apr 4, 2013 9:58 AM

The first clue was that big brace on his left arm all season.

4. bgm9876 says: Apr 4, 2013 10:30 AM

well he still played great.

5. fosteraustralianfortouchdown says: Apr 4, 2013 11:48 AM

Watt is not only a great player, he is a very decent person as well, the fans love him for his down to earth, charitable personality

6. freepretzels says: Apr 4, 2013 12:08 PM

That’s even scarier.

7. davetexansfan says: Apr 4, 2013 12:16 PM

Well this is just scary then. If he wasn’t at 100% last year and he is this season…

8. pinion8ted says: Apr 4, 2013 8:44 PM

Please….. is THIS his excuse for the Patriots completely owning his a$$ twice this season????

9. 8to80texansblog says: Apr 5, 2013 4:34 PM

Call me supersticious but I think he should still wear the brace….

Plus I remember at one point in the season him saying that the elbow was fine, and the only reason he still wore the brace was so his grandmother could easily identify him on the D Line since he moved around so much.