NFL releases preseason schedule

2012 Pro Football Hall of Fame Game Getty Images

No one likes the preseason. One of the few things that Roger Goodell and NFL players, fans and members of the media can all agree on is that the preseason combines low-quality games with a high risk for injury.

And yet, it’s still football. So when the preseason starts, we all get excited. And when the preseason schedule comes out, we all check it to see when we’ll get our first look at Mike Wallace in a Dolphins uniform, or Alex Smith in a Chiefs uniform, or Wes Welker in a Broncos uniform, or Greg Jennings in a Vikings uniform, or Ed Reed in a Texans uniform, or whatever new acquisition your favorite team has.

So we note today that the preseason schedule for 2013 has been released. You’ll complain about the preseason, but you’ll watch it anyway. Because it’s on TV.

The full preseason schedule is right here.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “NFL releases preseason schedule”
  1. whatnojets says: Apr 4, 2013 4:50 PM

One “road trip” for The New York Jets

New York Jets
    Week 1: at Detroit Lions
    Week 2: Jacksonville Jaguars
    Week 3: at New York Giants
    Week 4: Philadelphia Eagles

2. kgun80 says: Apr 4, 2013 4:52 PM

This is the reason I don’t buy season tickets.. We pay for 2 games that no one watches or cares about. NFL please make the preseason 2 games.

3. steelernationisuperiortothelowlyplebsofthenfllolol says: Apr 4, 2013 4:52 PM

A laughable schedule…

4. brownoholic says: Apr 4, 2013 4:55 PM

When’s the Preseason Schedule Release Extravaganza airing on NFL Network???

5. asimonetti88 says: Apr 4, 2013 4:56 PM

Niners will play Kansas City. Smith probably won’t play a whole lot but will still be interesting. Can it be the 2013 season already please?

6. thebigkahuna23 says: Apr 4, 2013 4:56 PM

I disagree, the preseason actually is very compelling football to watch. A lot of guys are getting their only shot.

Don’t forget the 2nd best running back in the league (Alfred Morris) was at the bottom of the depth chart going into the pre season last year. He played his butt off, and parlayed that into a starting role week one.

7. vbe2 says: Apr 4, 2013 4:57 PM

I rarely watch pre-season and if I do watch some of it, I turn it off once the starters are out of the game.

The only thing worse than pre-season is the Pro Bowl.

8. daknight93 says: Apr 4, 2013 4:57 PM

lets get it!! football is coming soon, I’m excited!

9. charger88 says: Apr 4, 2013 5:01 PM

I don’t know about everyone else but I sure as hell don’t watch Preseason games to see free agents in their new uniforms. I watch them to see how drafted players who might not start in the regular season actually look against better competition. For starting players to play in the preseason it is just plain stupid.

10. cappa662 says: Apr 4, 2013 5:02 PM

They are pointless games, so why not just drop ticket prices in half of what they should be during the regular season?

11. blacknole08 says: Apr 4, 2013 5:03 PM

I just want to see players in uniforms. Can’t wait for August!

12. cullimon says: Apr 4, 2013 5:04 PM

The draft is infinitely more exciting than the preseason

13. norsejuggernaut says: Apr 4, 2013 5:04 PM

Denver Broncos
    Week 1: at San Francisco 49ers
    Week 2: at Seattle Seahawks
    Week 3: St. Louis Rams (CBS)
    Week 4: Arizona Cardinals

Really? So, no diversity? Thanks NFL, cant wait for those suckfest home games! Woooo….Just the NFC West? That’s a clown schedule, brah!

14. seahawks4lyfe says: Apr 4, 2013 5:09 PM

The PreSeason need to be eliminated down to 2 games.

15. justintuckrule says: Apr 4, 2013 5:10 PM

Disagree with pre-season being bad. 3-4 years ago, I’d agree. However, now that Goodell has outlawed hitting, the preseason are the only games left where players actually hit. Sure, its filled with bottom roster players trying to impress their coaches and not caring about a 15yd penalty if it means them making the team, its the closest thing to real football we have left!

The 4th preseason game last year between AZ and Den was the best played game of the year and that was a game that Peyton sat out.

Embrace the preseason! Its the only time players get hit!

16. ilovefoolsball says: Apr 4, 2013 5:18 PM

Who cares about the preseason I’m really waiting for who Obama is going to pick as Superbowl winner so I can place my bets!

17. mybrunoblog says: Apr 4, 2013 5:19 PM

If the NFL made the owners to drop the price of preseason tickets by just maybe 20 or 25% I think it would go a long way in public relations and good will. Owners will still make $, fans won’t gripe as much and some fans will be to see NFL games live in person at a reduced price.
    A win for all involved.

18. Steeley McBeam says: Apr 4, 2013 5:20 PM

Matt Spaeth in a Steelers uniform! Oh wait…

19. bleedngreen4life says: Apr 4, 2013 5:31 PM

They will never cut ticket prices!!! But what they can do is make preseason free and raise regular season tickets to cover the cost. So when I sell my tickets to friends and family they aint bitchn about me including the cost of preseason to the face value of the ticket.

20. MasMacho says: Apr 4, 2013 5:31 PM

Seriously, we get the raiders here in Seattle every pre-season. Enough already. I’m tired of watching fights in the stands and trying to fight my way through the armed guards that have to protect the stadium when Raider fans are in attendance.

I know, I know, SOMEBODY has to play them.. but can’t it be somebody else?

21. 88ibis says: Apr 4, 2013 5:35 PM

I’ve always thought pre-season games should be played at college stadiums in places far from NFL franchises. Iowa, Montana, Oklahoma, etc… make some fans happy and build the base.

22. billsboy88 says: Apr 4, 2013 5:41 PM

Always felt like the preseason was more for the coaches and less for spectators. They try certain plays with certain guys to see how they work at live speed, evaluate players, etc. All the things the staff needs to tweak before the real games start. The final score means nothing, the games are just fancy practice sessions.

I’ve been to a few preseason games…wow, boring.

23. mf7krime says: Apr 4, 2013 5:42 PM

Championship.

24. philadelphiafan says: Apr 4, 2013 5:46 PM

I don’t think 2 preseason games would be enough to evaluate your entire roster. Cutting close to 30 players in 2 weeks doesn’t seem fair to the players given the lack of playing time they’d get. On top of that, if you need 2 full games to cut your roster down your starters are most likely going to go into the regular season rusty and out of sync. I say keep it how it is, but for the fans just charge less per ticket (like that will happen).

25. schmitty2 says: Apr 4, 2013 5:54 PM

norsejuggernaut says:Apr 4, 2013 5:04 PM

Denver Broncos
    Week 1: at San Francisco 49ers
    Week 2: at Seattle Seahawks
    Week 3: St. Louis Rams (CBS)
    Week 4: Arizona Cardinals

Clown schedule?? The NFC West has become argubly the toughest division in football with the Niner’s or Seahawks being 2 favorites to end up in the SB not to mention the Ram’s are no walk in the park either.

26. raideralex99 says: Apr 4, 2013 6:12 PM

If the owners want to make money on pre-season games and not soak the season ticket holders … they have 2 options.

1. Give the tickets away or less than 50% … the fans who can’t afford to go to real games will enjoy it and will spend money at the game buying food, drinks and souvenirs which should make up the difference.

2. Have the games in non NFL cities and give the people a chance to real a NFL game even if it’s a pre-season they will come.

27. jporter15 says: Apr 4, 2013 6:18 PM

wow idk where you guys live but I lived in San Diego and now in Phoenix and I go to preseason games every year bc of how cheap they are. The most I’ve paid is 30 bucks for good seats.

And I love preseason bc you get to see different players and new draft picks try to earn their check. Every now and then you get a gem along the lines of Alfred Morris or Russell Wilson both of whom earned their job in preseason.

28. 87hollywoodhorn says: Apr 4, 2013 6:29 PM

I like the preseason, I think Goodell and the media hate on it cuz there isnt much money in it for them

29. irootforthecardinals says: Apr 4, 2013 6:50 PM

why must they use that picture?

everyone knows that the cardinals can’t block…

30. 8man says: Apr 4, 2013 6:57 PM

This isn’t even as good as getting socks for Christmas. Hell, I can use socks.

31. steelernationisuperiortothelowlyplebsofthenfllolol says: Apr 4, 2013 7:02 PM

As a wise man once said: here we go Steelers, here we go!

32. hor2012 says: Apr 4, 2013 7:05 PM

Anyone who has a problem with preseason football isn’t a true football fan. I watch as many preseason games as I can. Frist of all I’m looking at my own team to see if we created depth on the team. At some point those players you don’t want to see could win or lose you a game during the year. So, I watch the games. And, I don’t want them to reduce to preseason games. Four is exactly right. Now, I do believe that they should reduce the prices for those games

33. bigbadal21 says: Apr 4, 2013 7:55 PM

Preseason games should not be included in season tickets. A season ticket holder should have the option of buying them. The tickets for the games should be sold on an open market for whatever the team can get out of them.

34. beedubyatoo says: Apr 4, 2013 7:55 PM

Seattle at Green Bay on CBS? Only when FOX goes out of business. No TV games in week 4 of the pre-season? If this is a joke, I’m not getting it.

35. justintuckrule says: Apr 4, 2013 8:05 PM

If you love football simply for the hitting, nothing beats preseason. Watching some UFA take an extra step before flattening a 3rd string QB is 80’s flashback football at its finest.

Sorry…if you’re looking for penalties against a defender for breathing on Rodgers, the preseason isnt’ for you.

To the SD guy that moved to AZ – hit me up! I’ll go to preseasons with you. I’m in Scotts.

36. jerrygray721 says: Apr 4, 2013 8:18 PM

@RAIDERALEX99- i think you have a great idea with playing pre-season games in non nfl cities thats somthing the nfl should look into.

37. spideysdog says: Apr 4, 2013 8:19 PM

without a preseason, Matt Flynn was probably Seattle’s starting qb and Alfred Morris may not have even made the Redskins. the reality, is the preseason is when we get to see players PLAY and earn their spots. the draft is about a bunch of high paid men making their best guess on who can and can’t play in this league. the preseason is about those that were overlooked or undervalued on draft day by all these gurus, getting their chance to show why they DO belong and what they can do.

38. rmavs says: Apr 4, 2013 8:28 PM

Ha! Preseason is Preseason. I watch it because its football. Hockey is over and baseball and basketball can take a hike. Did anyone think, last year, based off preseason games that Peterson would nearly break an all time rushing record, or that Wilson would lead Seattle to an amazing season? I love football, but I understand that the preseason is what it is. Its a curtain call for the players on the cusp. Go VIKES!

39. scytherius says: Apr 4, 2013 8:42 PM

I’ve been watching football since the 50s. I bet I’ve watched 5, or less, pre-season games in that time. They are beyond boring.

40. onlyopinionthatmatters says: Apr 4, 2013 8:43 PM

Not sure why, but I was always under the impression that the HOF game counted as the teams week 1 preseason game

41. greatestgamensports says: Apr 4, 2013 9:03 PM

NFC WEST is coming a tough division but the NFC EAST is still the toughest division in football.

42. thefox61 says: Apr 4, 2013 9:10 PM

8/23 on CBS Seattle @ Green Bay can’t wait for that one and the chance to shut up those whining Packers fans. Oh yeah, it’s only a preseason game.

43. anygivensundayfan says: Apr 5, 2013 1:58 AM

Thank you, NFL scheduling gods, for gift of Seattle playing Green Bay in week 3. Geniuses that you are, you will be nationally televising the Seahawks decisively beating the Packers on their home field so we can bring an overdue end to the constant GBP fan whining over the final call of our last meeting.