Ravens open to bringing back Brendon Ayanbadejo

Brendon Ayanbadejo, Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

The Ravens have confirmed that linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo has been released, but the team said it’s open to the possibility that he could return.

Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome said in a statement released by the team that Ayanbadejo brought value to Baltimore’s special teams, and that they’d consider the possibility of having him back.

“As a team, we place a high value on special teams and Brendon was one of our top performers in that area for the last five seasons,” Newsome said. “The door may not be closed to bring him back to help us again.”

Ravens coach John Harbaugh also praised Ayanbadejo for his presence in the Ravens’ locker room.

“We considered him one of the foundations of our team and he gave me sound counsel as one of our team leaders,” Harbaugh said.

Although Ayanbadejo will turn 37 at the start of the season, he still has enough left to help some team win. The only question is whether that team will be the Ravens.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Ravens open to bringing back Brendon Ayanbadejo”
  1. seaeagle707 says: Apr 4, 2013 3:59 PM

First they let him go. Then they say he can return. Wouldn’t have anything to do with him taking a large salary cut, now would it?

2. dickson29 says: Apr 4, 2013 4:04 PM

and DOWN go the Ravens,,,,

3. crownofthehelmet says: Apr 4, 2013 4:10 PM

Now try to tell me the ravens won’t draft Te’o.

4. randygnyc says: Apr 4, 2013 4:13 PM

He should probably come out while he’s still active and has the bully pulpit.

5. ahawkalypse says: Apr 4, 2013 4:14 PM

They won’t draft Teo there I said it. He’s gone at 20 to the Bears anyway.

6. pittsburghfan71 says: Apr 4, 2013 4:17 PM

The previous report said that the Ravens will only save 800,000 dollars by cutting him… Clearly its not a money issue.

7. vbe2 says: Apr 4, 2013 4:19 PM

I guess he’ll be staying in the closet until he gets a new team now. Just in case some teams might be averse to signing an “out of the closet” player.

8. crownofthehelmet says: Apr 4, 2013 4:23 PM

@ahawkalypse – you missed it.

9. camdenyard says: Apr 4, 2013 4:41 PM

““As a team, we place a high value on special teams and Brendon was one of our top performers in that area for the last five seasons”
    ————————————————

But not LAST season. BA was a great ST player and a good guy. Ozzie is just trying to pump him up for the marketplace.

Ravens are getting younger and BA has obviously lost a lot over the last 2 years. He won’t be back.

10. treesloth16 says: Apr 4, 2013 4:51 PM

No way the Ravens are taking Te’o. Did you see the way Harbaugh was shaking his head at Teo’s 40yrd dash? Got exposed during the title game, multiple times.

11. crownofthehelmet says: Apr 4, 2013 5:04 PM

My fault, I forgot about the mental level some of you Ravens fans possess.

Sorry guys, I’ll dull down the wit for y’all.

12. crownofthehelmet says: Apr 4, 2013 5:08 PM

Oops, a metaphor is kinda like something that means the same as another word, but isn’t spelled the same.

I’m done, it’s too much work to joke with you guys.

13. opneon says: Apr 4, 2013 5:30 PM

I think that someone got hit on the “crownofthehelmit” too often to think that they are so funny – and more intelligent than everyone else.
    I’m falling over laughing…at you!

14. randallflagg52 says: Apr 4, 2013 5:35 PM

vbe2 says:
    Apr 4, 2013 4:19 PM

====================================

You do know he’s married and has 2 kids right? Just because he supports same sex marriage doesn’t make him gay.

15. getyourownname says: Apr 4, 2013 6:01 PM

crownofthehelmet says:Apr 4, 2013 5:04 PM

You see, my comment saying that they will now definitely draft Te’o was a shot about Ayanbadejo and Te’o wanting to play for the same team. Sorry guys, I’ll dull down the wit for y’all.
    ****************
    The first sign of someone whose elevator doesn’t go the top floor is lack of self-awareness.

Actually, you do make a compelling argument. But it’s for doing away with the comments section.

16. buzzbeaubank says: Apr 4, 2013 6:08 PM

crownofthehelmet says:
    Apr 4, 2013 5:08 PM

I’m done, it’s too much work to joke with you guys.
    ——————-
    While you’re “dulling down the wit”, you should maybe look up the definition of metaphor. That is, if you find the time between refreshing PFT every 2 minutes in case another Ravens article goes up.

17. Nofoolnodrool says: Apr 4, 2013 6:19 PM

I’m done, it’s too much work to joke with you guys.
    ——————-

What crown is doing is called ravenatoring…man as smart as you should know this……lol

18. cuda1234 says: Apr 4, 2013 6:38 PM

No need for him to come back now that there are cameras in the lockerroom…..

19. rockthered1286 says: Apr 4, 2013 7:17 PM

@crownofthehelmet I think it’s fair to assume you spend 90% of your time focusing on Ravens and the rest on your own team? Tell me do you own Ravens PSL’s just to make sure you’re there any time we have a bad game? Maybe the NFL redzone channel to make sure you see every scoring drive against Baltimore? Go get ‘em champ…

20. crownofthehelmet says: Apr 4, 2013 8:12 PM

After reading my previous posts, I feel I should be checked for substance abuse. I think a suspension is imminent.

Please tell Christian Thompson to save me a seat in drug awareness class.

21. therealpittbull says: Apr 4, 2013 9:34 PM

They are only open to It because he’s on his agenda to say he was released based upon his GLBT standing. Teams better beware fast. The concussion issue will have nothing on this stuff. They thought PETA was rough about Vick. Just wait till Harry and Jimmy get upset because of locker room talk.

22. classyjacklambert says: Apr 4, 2013 9:49 PM

Personally I don’t think he’s gay, but the argument used earlier that he has two kids and a wife therefore he is not gay is flawed as well. Wouldn’t be the first time someone had a beard.