Charles Woodson: I’m considered ancient, teams aren’t calling me

Green Bay Packers v San Diego Chargers Getty Images

Free agent defensive back Charles Woodson says NFL teams think he’s too old, and that’s why he remains unemployed six weeks after the Packers cut him.

“I’m 36, so of course I’m considered ancient in the game right now, and teams are looking for younger players and trying to make their rosters younger,” Woodson said on NFL AM. “If you’re an older guy they kind of push you to the side, and they’ll maybe look at you much later on down the road, when I guess they figure they can get you much cheaper.”

Woodson says his camp has put out word that he’s interested in finding a new team, but so far that interest hasn’t been reciprocated.

“Nothing right now, nothing substantial. I’m just waiting around. We put feelers out, just to see where everybody’s at, but there’s not much right now,” Woodson said.

The season is still five months away, and there’s still a good chance that some team will bring Woodson in this year. But right now, Woodson is right: 36-year-olds are low priorities for NFL teams.

Permalink 111 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
111 Responses to “Charles Woodson: I’m considered ancient, teams aren’t calling me”
  1. floratiotime says: Apr 5, 2013 10:19 AM

You’re considered ancient … AND you want a lot of money.

2. japmen says: Apr 5, 2013 10:19 AM

What’s really new here? When wasn’t a 36 yr old considered old in the NFL? Slow story week just makes us want the draft to happen sooner.

3. lo6icalvoice says: Apr 5, 2013 10:21 AM

Bucs should call this guy up.
    Then Woodson and Barber can mix up each others pill organizers.

4. scoops1 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:21 AM

Teams may not be calling…but Canton will be calling you very soon

5. westcoastraider says: Apr 5, 2013 10:21 AM

I wonder if that means he’s open to going to any team… If that’s the case come back home to Oakland, we can sure use your talents there

6. jikkle49 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:22 AM

Safety class being deep in the draft isn’t helping his cause much either.

I mean why bring in a 36 year old with 0 upside and no future with your team if you can draft a young more athletic guy who you can develop and be on your team for the cheap for 4-5 years.

Woodson will likely find teams more interested after the draft where teams might’ve lost out on drafting the Safety they wanted.

7. jamezz23 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:22 AM

I’m sure you’ll find a team but if not I’m sure Brady hoke will make room for you on his squad coaching our dB’s.

8. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Apr 5, 2013 10:24 AM

Sounds like collusion to me.

9. steelernationisuperiortothelowlyplebsofthenfllolol says: Apr 5, 2013 10:24 AM

We know what we’re doing.

10. sicklnick121 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:24 AM

Love for Reggie to get this guy back to Oakland and let him be a leader and mentor to the young guys he is bringing in. Plus be nice to see him finish where he started.

11. melikefootball says: Apr 5, 2013 10:25 AM

Do you think the time has finally come where money is running the experienced players out of the league. The game has really become a intertainment feature than a game. Is teams seeing, get younger players less money ,who really cares. Give them some stats for fantasy football and fans are happy.

12. dublindemonszfl says: Apr 5, 2013 10:27 AM

Easy Charles, they what they get with you. You don’t need coaching, your offseason work is up to par. They will call, you’re just a known commodity. Oh the packers suck without you.

13. bandoy767 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:28 AM

Finish your career back with the Raiders.

14. daburgher says: Apr 5, 2013 10:28 AM

Come to Pittsburgh! We could use another old dude on D

15. blacknole08 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:28 AM

Woodson is still good for 4 INTs, 2 sacks a year as a nickel back.

Come to Carolina! We need all the help we can get in our secondary.

16. dbdcrewmatt says: Apr 5, 2013 10:29 AM

Come on Colts lets sign Charles!!!

17. hrmlss says: Apr 5, 2013 10:29 AM

Veteran minimum with incentives.

18. burnzy32 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:29 AM

I wish Detroit would sign him for the veteran leadership with our secondary and to have insight on the Packers

19. itssocoldinthed says: Apr 5, 2013 10:30 AM

Don’t worry Chuck, you’ll get plenty of calls after the draft.

20. alxgmz says: Apr 5, 2013 10:30 AM

That’s NFL business. When you where coming in the league, you too where pushing someone out. Wait till after draft, someone will call.

21. djcologne says: Apr 5, 2013 10:30 AM

Close the loop and come home…..the Raiders need a safety and could certainly use the leadership on the defensive side of the ball! Father time be damned, C-Wood is a baller!

22. whodat318 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:30 AM

Time to pick up the phone Mickey Loomis. Although we signed Lewis, we could use some more depth in the secondary especially veteran help. If we were willing to roll the dice on T. Porter and Nnamdi it wouldn’t hurt to kick the tires on Woodson. WhoDat…!!!

23. psj3809 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:30 AM

I’m sure there is interest but the problem is that ‘some’ of these veterans think they are worth far more than they are.

If he could probably join a team tomorrow if he settled for a low/decent contract but no doubt wants one last big contract.

Reminds me of Carson Palmer saying it wasnt about the money when he ‘retired’ from Cincy, he just wants to win (then signs a huge deal with Oakland and now a 2 year 20 mill contract with the Cards).

At the end of the day its about the money sadly.

24. saintsfan26 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:32 AM

I know a lot of folks in New Orleans that would love to have Woodson. We lost out on Asomugha, Woodson would be a welcomed addition. I know he has 1 or 2 good seasons left in the tank. He could be our next Darren Sharper and lead us to the promise land again.

Come on down to the Big Easy, Mr. Woodson, at a discounted price of course.

25. tmac4454 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:33 AM

Well at least you have a ring. I hope that you was smart with your finances. I could only wish for half a mil, live like I am living now. Will never work again and live very good.
    I am 49 years old and knees hurt if I am sitting for a long time. I can imagine how his body feels, live within your means and enjoy your life with your family.

26. isphet71 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:33 AM

I can’t imagine that there aren’t half a dozen teams at a minimum that could use this guy’s playmaking and leadership ability. Age be damned. You can either do the job, or you can’t.

27. bobbob1eye says: Apr 5, 2013 10:35 AM

He can only help the Saints horrendous safety play. As I recall the last “ancient” safety we brought in worked out pretty well for us.

28. num1eaglesfanyo says: Apr 5, 2013 10:36 AM

Why not eagles? Couldn’t hurt.

29. jhein23 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:37 AM

He didn’t play very well at all last year to be honest. Yet the Packers haters say he is a devastating loss to the Green Bay roster. Same with Greg Jennings who did nothing all season except for 1 game – a week 17 loss.

30. eeerockski says: Apr 5, 2013 10:37 AM

Somebodies gonna get a heck of a ballhawking safety when he signs. Sure hes not what he was a few years ago, and plays mostly safety now, but hed sure be an upgrade over that guy that got burned by jacoby jones in denver.

31. bigdinla says: Apr 5, 2013 10:38 AM

Would love to see Dallas sign him for a year or two as FS.

32. louiespoon says: Apr 5, 2013 10:38 AM

Come down on your asking price….

33. hotcarl8744 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:39 AM

I would love to see him come back to the Raiders!! Come home Cahrles!

34. lambeauleaper says: Apr 5, 2013 10:40 AM

Come back to the Pack! Of course, the Packers probably aren’t calling either, but I’m sure they could still find a use for you!

Woodsen is still an elite player, even at 36. That said, no one wants to sign him because of his age. The most logical is to come back.

35. gator2006 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:40 AM

Come on Jerry, bring him in. No way he’s worse than whatever safeties we throw back there. Put Carr back at corner and Woodson at FS.

36. stewart09 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:42 AM

he might be pricing himself out of the market atm but just wait till training camp someone will need CB help.

37. nola5712 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:43 AM

Uhhh hello Saints? What happened last time we brought in an aging former Packer defensive back? Hint: Super Bowl win with Sharper who led the league (I believe) in ints and pick6′s, correct me if I’m wrong.

Woodson may not be what he used to be, but everybody and their mother’s brother’s cousins knows he’s better than what the Saints have (minus Keenan Lewis…he’s new so we’ll give him a pass).

38. juke1220 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:44 AM

Come home to Detroit!

39. bdickey33 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:44 AM

I would love any of the 3 old dudes out there on cheap contracts….

Winfield / Woodson / Urlacher

3 positions of need for the Vikings. Give all 3 of them 1 yr 2.5 and don’t get stuck without a backup plan for each.

40. howiefeltersnatch says: Apr 5, 2013 10:44 AM

Let’s see how bad he really wants to play. Come to Cleveland sir, we could really use help in the secondary.

41. bobgb2000 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:45 AM

Your still a class act and thank you for what you did for the PACKERS

42. lunchboxray says: Apr 5, 2013 10:46 AM

Teams with a young DB corps should be taking a serious look at Woodson. If you can get him in for a few seasons to impart his wisdom and knowledge. It would have to be for the right price of course.

43. raiderlyfe510 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:46 AM

I know in 2002 we signed Rod Woodson at 37 years of age and he was a valuable piece in our Superbowl run. Teams are tripping for not looking C Woodson at 36 years of age. He’s a playmaker.

44. sanfranfanyouknowit says: Apr 5, 2013 10:46 AM

This guy is a great talent and proved to make Green Bays horrible defense better when on the field. I was hoping 49ERS would have signed him to help with Goldson leaving and to mentor the talented safety we get in the draft.

45. ndominatesuh says: Apr 5, 2013 10:47 AM

Its sad that this is the “NEW” NFL. These old Vets are just not getting any respect because of the new young fast cheap players that are out there. These guys have earned their respect and deserve to go out like the superstar they are… Instead, it will be a little message on the ESPN ticker that he retired, because he had no other choice. I hate the Packers… but loved watching Woodson play. Good Luck in the future Charles! Go Blue!!

46. vikesfansteve says: Apr 5, 2013 10:47 AM

The guy is still better than Raymond and Sanford.

47. shadylamp says: Apr 5, 2013 10:48 AM

Woodson at 50 years old is still better than “Buster Skrine” Go grab this guy Chud, what are you waiting for? Go Browns!

48. zoellner25 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:48 AM

Obviously the Packers made the right call here.

49. packfaninpackland says: Apr 5, 2013 10:50 AM

Well Charles, you’re not only 36, but are coming off your second broken collar bone injury in 3 years.

That said, swallow your pride and come back to the Pack for a couple of million and go for shot at another ring !

50. staffordsyear says: Apr 5, 2013 10:50 AM

Cmon detroit,bring him back to michigan..would be a great addition because we all know delmas isn’t gonna be healthy all year. C-wood would also be a great locker room presence.

51. midwestsportstalk says: Apr 5, 2013 10:51 AM

Bring him back to the Pack

52. richcranium2112 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:52 AM

I’d say the comment is spot on until post-draft for many of the long-time veterans. Unfortunately it is the business part of the game in this day and age. Teams will need to see where things stand after the draft and undrafted free agents are rounded up.

It would be interesting to see if the draft was pulled forward a month, and free agency opened up post-draft?!

53. waxthat says: Apr 5, 2013 10:52 AM

If he wants another championship, he’ll end up with the 9ers. Would we a solid rotational/situational DB for the Super Bowl run this year.

I could see him playing some FS, rotating with one of these rookie blue chip safeties the Niners could/should draft. Great mentor, great leader, chip on his shoulder. Let’s roll.

54. ejmat2 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:53 AM

Antoine Winfield is the same age but he has had interest. Woodson is still a good player but using the age excuse is not the only reason he hasn’t received “feelers”. It’s in combination of his latest injury as well as his age in my opinion.

55. bordner says: Apr 5, 2013 10:55 AM

It is too bad. He was by far my favorite Packer for the past 5 years or so, but they made the right move by letting him go, and it’s being validated by the other 31 teams in the league.

He was a great FA signing at the time and definitely worth the money they spent on him though.

I’m sure he’ll get picked up by someone (I can’t believe the vikings haven’t signed him yet), but if not, I hope we’ll see him on the sidelines at Lambeau somehow, even if it’s just to drop by for a visit.

56. greglloydrules says: Apr 5, 2013 10:55 AM

Go Blue!!!

57. daknight93 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:56 AM

I do agree 100% with Charles, he admits and recognizes that he is ancient and old..but Charles need to also lower his salary expectations to league vet. minimum for his age and someone will pick him up for a $1.00 just gotta be more patient

58. floraiders says: Apr 5, 2013 10:58 AM

Raiders need a FS .. Never should of let you get away in the first place.. Come home CWood !

59. nastinati513 says: Apr 5, 2013 10:58 AM

A team should sign him and use him as a saftey (Like the bengals)

Alot of older corners dont get signed because they get burnt in man coverage by younger receivers

60. whatjusthapped says: Apr 5, 2013 10:58 AM

You have to feel bad for Charles, he’s on the downside of his career, his best days behind him, he is looking to be paid more than he is worth and he’s an ex Packer and STILL the Viking’s won’t bite despite their porous secondary.

That’s probably a sign that you should retire when even the Vikings aren’t interested.

61. urlacherbacker says: Apr 5, 2013 10:59 AM

“But right now, Woodson is right: 36-year-olds are low priorities for NFL teams.”

Ahhh… but the Bears should be crucified for letting Urlacher go…

You guys embarrass yourselves.

62. 49faithful says: Apr 5, 2013 10:59 AM

Guess you should have taken the Niners offer when you had the chance.

63. berniemadoffsides says: Apr 5, 2013 11:00 AM

I guarantee he’ll end up on some team by late June, worst case scenario. Guy can still play.

64. chi01town says: Apr 5, 2013 11:02 AM

the Greenbay packers turned there
    backs on Woodson and NOT because of his age …but because they would have had to pay him and Jennings and the list just keep getting longer everyday. Rodgers has plans to rob the team for every dime they got. and he dont care how many other players leave or get fired. but he will have Finley ha ha… who hates his guts and cant wait for a camera to get in his face so he can say so.

65. aces79 says: Apr 5, 2013 11:02 AM

I would like to see him with the Niners but price to high maybe ?

66. shieldsisland37 says: Apr 5, 2013 11:02 AM

I am a Packer fan. First off all Thanks for the years of service chuck.

But, I was getting very frustrated by all of his gambling, A lot of times, he would gamble and leave a guy wide open. We dont have a consistent pass rush, so the qb would eventually find him.

But, and this is a But, when Woodson gambles right, he is one of the best players in football, ie his DMVP a few years ago. He really has not lost any speed and he is just as tough as ever.

I mean he is a special heisman type athlete.

My point is that the guy would start on a bunch of teams right now. He will find a job and I would imagine shortly into the pre season.

67. stillers1229 says: Apr 5, 2013 11:03 AM

James Harrison’s agent didn’t get the memo that players over 35 aren’t wanted and look what is happening to him.

68. 60oldschool says: Apr 5, 2013 11:07 AM

I’m a big packer fan, But what did he think, it was a guaranteed lifetime job. I’m never going to worry about him providing for his family. Sometimes (all the time) father time catches up to you. The mind says yes, but he body says no.

69. maddbearfan says: Apr 5, 2013 11:08 AM

Hey Chuck, You should give Urlacher a call and go hang with him…maybe go to a bar somewhere and spend the night crying in your beer. Or just talk about the “Good ole Days” you know…..
    This day was comming sooner or later and it’s now become sooner…but as a Bears fan I enjoyed watching both you and Urlacher for many years. Thanks for some great football from both of you.

70. notwerk says: Apr 5, 2013 11:09 AM

I’d take him on my Dolphins. It’s clear that he’s past his prime, but we’re going to have to bring a rookie into one of our corner spots and we’re pretty young across the board in the secondary. A little veteran leadership from a class act like Woodson couldn’t hurt.

71. filthymcnasty1 says: Apr 5, 2013 11:11 AM

With all the advanced training methods, 36 is the new 35.

72. joeyt12183 says: Apr 5, 2013 11:12 AM

I would like to see him end up with the Saints. Whodat!

73. eventhorizon04 says: Apr 5, 2013 11:12 AM

It’s not really his age, though. The issue his film shows a big decline in his performance even from as recently as 2 years ago.

Everybody retires eventually.
    It’s not because of age since age is just a number – it’s because of a decline in play.
    If he played as poorly as he did last year at age 29, he’d still have trouble finding work.
    If he played as well last year as he did at age 29, he’d still be a Packer.

74. stayclassyasheville says: Apr 5, 2013 11:14 AM

Ancient, fragile, expensive. Retire and coach if you want to still be around the game. You had a good ride.

75. taintedsaints2009 says: Apr 5, 2013 11:20 AM

Teams should do with Woodson what the Vikings did with Winfield last year: rest him during the week. It worked very well.

76. granadafan says: Apr 5, 2013 11:28 AM

Dang, I’m 37. Thanks for making me feel old.

77. getyourownname says: Apr 5, 2013 11:29 AM

Think how teams wind up signing players by mid-season who have been out of the league for a year or more, due to injuries.

He will get signed eventually, assuming he doesn’t demand “young” money.

78. leatherface2012 says: Apr 5, 2013 11:36 AM

no one needs a 36 year old that only knows how to grab and hold receivers

79. patfic15 says: Apr 5, 2013 11:44 AM

Saints!

80. majormeatcurtains says: Apr 5, 2013 11:51 AM

japmen says: Apr 5, 2013 10:19 AM

==================================
    It’s not news. It is there solely to give loser trolls a reason to click on it and complain that it’s not news. It keeps you busy and off the street causing problems.

81. whodat11985 says: Apr 5, 2013 11:53 AM

New Orleans should really get Woodson. He is the type of veteran leadership that terrible defense needs.

82. uangerme says: Apr 5, 2013 11:57 AM

I wish the Redskins would sign him, but for cheap of course. I’d take him over D. Hall any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

83. chawk12thman says: Apr 5, 2013 12:03 PM

Not playing the game right Charles…..you indicate that your talking with teams and hopeful that at some point a deal that is right for you can be struck……..Being honest about no one having interest in you isn’t in your best interest…….It speaks of your character, but that isn’t how this game is played……Good luck.

84. audioflint says: Apr 5, 2013 12:16 PM

You have done a ton and will go down in NFL history as great, but age is a reality. My guess is your agent’s money demands are the problem – not your playing ability. Nevertheless, we’d love to see you end your career in Motown where it all began in college.

85. ekj6955 says: Apr 5, 2013 12:16 PM

Chiefs need someone with injury prone K Lewis. Could teach Berry a thing or two Im sure.

86. shlort says: Apr 5, 2013 12:18 PM

Good teams don’t pick up old players in hopes of squeezing another season out of them while paying them top dollar.

Teams that have been bad over the years have had a penchant for picking up a bunch of older guys and paying them big bucks. Look at how the redskins were until they woke up and realized a team has to be built. Look what the Eagles experiment did to that team.

Charles is a team guy, but his age will prove he isn’t the best guy for the job He has lost a couple steps over the past couple years. He should just retire before he does even more damage to his body. He has plenty of cash and he is a smart dude.

87. shlort says: Apr 5, 2013 12:20 PM

taintedsaints2009 says:Apr 5, 2013 11:20 AM

_________________________________

Charles hasn’t practiced during the season for 5 years. He has been dinged up for a long time and his age is showing. His speed is down and he really can’t keep up anymore. His playing days are behind him and he should quit.

88. pacodawg says: Apr 5, 2013 12:31 PM

Everybody thinks they are still at the top of their game still and should be paid more…………………………….including myself.

89. drummer2177 says: Apr 5, 2013 12:34 PM

The Redskins would love him but they only have about $9.99 left in their salary cap.

90. effjohntaylornorelation says: Apr 5, 2013 12:39 PM

He’s a great player. He’ll land somewhere

91. geniusesq says: Apr 5, 2013 12:53 PM

Come to the Redskins and play Free Safety. Do a Rod Woodson and play for a couple more years.

92. watermelon1 says: Apr 5, 2013 1:03 PM

Imagine this guy going to Houston…. To play alongside Ed reed, Jonathan Joseph… And of course that texans pass rush! YIKES!

93. rajbais says: Apr 5, 2013 1:06 PM

He’ll have to wait until training camp.

The bright side is that he can be fresh and healthy when ready to play.

94. EJ says: Apr 5, 2013 1:07 PM

He will get signed before Training Camp begins. Age is a factor, but experience trumps age with his position. A Safety that knows exactly where to be when he needs to be is a lot better than a rookie that relies on his speed and agility.
    My guess is that he will be picked up by a team that is dealing with an injury or two with the Safety spot.

95. eastofmissball says: Apr 5, 2013 1:07 PM

Hey rookie, try it this way. Pay the Man/Player/Teacher/Respect…

96. imgonnathrowup says: Apr 5, 2013 1:24 PM

adrian wilson or not the pats should bring him in

97. jiminthebay says: Apr 5, 2013 2:01 PM

i agree with several others here. if i’m sean payton i wait about 3 more seconds before i call charles. he could school them grassbacks on some man-up coverage…yeah i’m talking to you roman…you jabari

98. nobreak1269 says: Apr 5, 2013 2:17 PM

Your right Charles-hope you saved your money-don’t let the door hit you in the rear on the way out!

99. garrison1981 says: Apr 5, 2013 2:50 PM

If affordable bring him in Lions! U know it be cool to have Woodson back were it all began for him….well sort of(UofM)! Lol! He’d be great to mentor our you DB’s n I’m sure he still has some gas left in that tank!

100. djred34 says: Apr 5, 2013 3:00 PM

Rise up falcons need him

101. jtmartinez34 says: Apr 5, 2013 3:05 PM

Good! Sit at home. Talked more than he played last year.

102. butkus54 says: Apr 5, 2013 3:05 PM

If he still has the desire to play and would be willing to play for the veteran minimum some team will come calling after the draft.
    He may not be a starter but he could step up and play in probably any system if someone gets hurt.
    I would love to see him in Detroit under those circumstances.

103. geneatals says: Apr 5, 2013 3:58 PM

He’ll get signed closer or into this season. He’s adds good depth or a great replacement should a spot on a team open up due to injury. Someone will eventually kick the tires on this guy

104. generalherald says: Apr 5, 2013 4:46 PM

I wonder how much the age has to do with physical ability versus the willingness of the player ate age. I don’t find it that hard to believe a 36 year old could perform at a level higher than a 21 year old, but I would think in general the 21 year old with a fresh career start would have more drive?

105. larryboodry says: Apr 5, 2013 4:49 PM

Brian Urlacher can relate.

106. theytukrjobs says: Apr 5, 2013 5:00 PM

He calls it age but you could just as easily call it a money thing. If Woodson would offer to play for veteran’s minimum he’d have 32 very interested teams.

107. davidmv13 says: Apr 5, 2013 5:20 PM

Would love to bring him to the black and gold!

Would be like Darren Sharper 2.0

108. steelpalace302 says: Apr 5, 2013 5:49 PM

Another year and another player who just doesn’t understand its time to hang it up. This guy should have hung them up 3 years ago. It happens every year, look at TO he still thinks he can play and has been washed up for 6 years. Charles you are done washed up used up. ITs over go get a job at espn and enjoy life.

109. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 5, 2013 6:30 PM

The fact is, the league is moving away from over-priced veterans.
    It’s become clear that they can get more performance for less money by going young.

For a lot of positions, the gulf between college play and NFL play has narrowed. More players are NFL ready coming out of school.

110. bensstinkyfingers says: Apr 5, 2013 6:52 PM

Hey Browns /Chud, take a 1 or 2 year flyer on Woodson, Still draft Milliner Let woodson mentor Haden and Dee, split time. Its destiny, Charles is from Fremont, You lived in Fremont, parents still there. Would be a nice pickup, its not like you guys don’t; have extra cap space.

111. axespray says: Apr 5, 2013 8:41 PM

Another problem with Woodson, He’s not fast enough to be a Corner anymore – But he’s at his best as a playmaker near the line of scrimmage…Too small to convert to linebacker, If he’s 20 yards off the line and staying back as a safety, then what’s the point of picking him up to sit back and do what any 20 year old can do.