Kevin Kolb fired up about Bills system, offensive line

Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kolb is sacked by Buffalo Bills defensive end Williams during the first half of their NFL football game in Phoenix. Reuters

Though he was the first quarterback tossed overboard by the Cardinals this offseason, Kevin Kolb thinks he’s landed in a better place.

Between an offensive philosophy that suits his style, and better protection, he thinks the stage is set for him to play well this year for the Bills.

Kolb told Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News that after sitting down with coach Doug Marrone and offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, he’s convinced he can succeed.

“I am really excited,” Kolb said. “I think just when we all sat down for the first time and we discussed what our offensive mindsets were and career-wise what I was looking for, it just all made sense.

“It was a breath of fresh air to hear Doug and Nate and their offensive philosophy. I’m excited and I want to be a part of it.”

He also got some subtle digs in at his previous employer. He said the fast-faced, no-huddle system the Bills want to use is more in line with what he’s best at.

“Without giving away too much,” Kolb said, “the unique style of offense that these guys run and what they bring to the picture as far as their knowledge of the game and their creativity and their ability to be open-minded, it really excited me.

“I think a lot of times in this league you have people who are set in their ways and they follow other people’s leads all the time. I’m very optimistic about what we’re gonna do.”

He’s also optimistic about staying upright. He was sacked 57 times in 493 pass attempts in two years with the Cardinals (missing time because of that lack of protection), while the Bills allowed just 30 sacks of Ryan Fitzpatrick in 535 pass attempts last year.

“That was attractive to me,” Kolb said. “I think they’re very talented up front. When you look at Doug’s history with the offensive line, obviously, it’s a huge point of emphasis for him.

“Then of course with the offense itself, how much it benefits the quarterback in getting the ball out quickly and being decisive. I think it all really points to a positive direction as far as not taking as many hits and being able to be successful with the ball in your hands.”

Of course, his first challenge will be winning the starting job, as he’ll compete with Tarvaris Jackson and a draft pick to be named later.

But if he wins that battle, he thinks he can win.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Kevin Kolb fired up about Bills system, offensive line”
  1. butterstone84 says: Apr 5, 2013 8:15 AM

im excited
    -Dolphins fan

2. gonavybeatarmy says: Apr 5, 2013 8:18 AM

Kolb will be “excited” until hope meets reality and the Bills are 3-6 in early November.

3. andrewfbrowne says: Apr 5, 2013 8:23 AM

So wait, you have an offensive line? Where do I sign?

4. reasonableeaglefan says: Apr 5, 2013 8:24 AM

After having a QB controversy here between he and Vick a few years ago, it really grinds my gears hearing them talk about O-line protection and taking too many sacks. Get the damn ball out of your hands, even if you have to throw it away. Sacks can be the QB’s fault too ass.

5. dangernearing says: Apr 5, 2013 8:24 AM

What bravado for a player whose accomplished next to nothing in the league. He’s a couple nice performances subbing in for McNabb in Philly. Played poorly in Arizona (it wasnt all the o-line he held the ball too long on occasions). That’s why I think Buffalo will draft Nassib. Putting your hope in Kolb would prove risky. If he’s the starter they’ll finish 1 game ahead of the Jests.

6. patfic15 says: Apr 5, 2013 8:37 AM

A battle with Tavaris Jackson? Lol.

7. blueballz77 says: Apr 5, 2013 8:38 AM

Bet he was excited about Arizona too

8. liveandcrywithbills says: Apr 5, 2013 8:39 AM

I kno… what is he going to say right… i am excited to continue to be sacked all the time and content to just be extending my below mediocre career?
    Anyways it is refreshing and how can any longtime BILLS fan not be excited about hearing the original K-GUN offense is returning. Call me biased but i have high hopes Kolb can find his footing and that we target a tight end high as the original KGUN was named for Keith McKellar not Jim Kelly as many think. Heres to a glass of hope which is all we have had for many many many years during many regime changes.

9. jacobknicks says: Apr 5, 2013 8:40 AM

Time was, people were “fired up” about the Titanic

10. rnt2000 says: Apr 5, 2013 8:45 AM

I’m optimistic on the new coaching staff and hope that Kolb can really succeed and do well with the Bills. We can’t really get any worse than last few years. Lets hope this high energy they feel right not transfers to the playing feel and gets us some “W” . “GO BILLS”

11. billsyanks09 says: Apr 5, 2013 8:46 AM

Just hand the ball to cj spiller. Thats your main job lol.

12. areyoudue says: Apr 5, 2013 8:57 AM

Didn’t Fitzpatrick say the same things last year? I’m in a wait and see mode with the Bills this year. Like some of the moves they made, but still too many question marks.

13. EJ says: Apr 5, 2013 9:01 AM

As a long time Bills Fan, I have to say that I am somewhat optimistic about this season.

14. natijim235 says: Apr 5, 2013 9:02 AM

kevin kolb fires me up

15. newmarketmaulers says: Apr 5, 2013 9:02 AM

“Fired Up” & “Kevin Kolb” dont belong in the same headline.

16. shawon0meter says: Apr 5, 2013 9:10 AM

It’s T-Jack’s job

17. redzona says: Apr 5, 2013 9:10 AM

Has anyone seen this breath of “fresh air” throw since his injury to know he’s fully recovered?

18. buffalohogan says: Apr 5, 2013 9:22 AM

Go Bills ?!?

19. dalucks says: Apr 5, 2013 9:30 AM

He is just happy to be playing and getting a check. He has not realized yet that Larry Fitzgerald is not coming with him to Buffalo.

20. habsfanatic says: Apr 5, 2013 9:31 AM

The Bills O-line better be good, because one big hit and Kolb’s career could be over.

21. billysabre says: Apr 5, 2013 9:50 AM

Good to hear that Marone and staff are innovative. Now go prove it on the field.

22. footballfather says: Apr 5, 2013 10:14 AM

They were so much better off with Fitzpatrick. What a dumb move.

23. billinva says: Apr 5, 2013 10:17 AM

I want what he’s smoking.

24. fosteraustralianfortouchdown says: Apr 5, 2013 10:18 AM

I hope Kolb busts his butt and utilizes this chance to turn around his career, he needs it and Buffalo needs it! I love hearing K-gun offense again, but lets be honest he is no Jim Kelly

25. arzcardinals says: Apr 5, 2013 10:23 AM

As a AZ Cards season ticket holder let me tell Bills season ticket holders. Kolb is short and has to weight for throwing la Es to open up. He’s prone to scramble rather than hang in the pocket. He has his moments, but for us the bad way out did the good. Good luck but pay attention to how Kolb is forced to wait on throws due to his height….you’ll see a lot of batteed balls as well. Hope it gives u some insight.

26. japmen says: Apr 5, 2013 10:24 AM

As a Fins fan, Kolb in Buffalo makes me extremely happy. Go Kolb!

27. dangernearing says: Apr 5, 2013 11:19 AM

billysabre says: Apr 5, 2013 9:50 AM

>>>>

Everyone’s gotta plan until they’re punched in the mouth.

28. jpaq68 says: Apr 5, 2013 11:37 AM

Good luck fighting to be Ryan Nassib’s backup with Tarvaris Jackson and Jamarcus Russell.

29. supermariowilliams says: Apr 5, 2013 12:10 PM

T – Jax won’t win the starting job, and its a stretch that Kevin Kolb does. This is Miami last off season. We keep loosing Free Agents, yes. But I mean our QB battle. A Veteran Quarterback(Tavaris Jackson and David Garrard), A Back up(Kevin Kolb and Matt Moore), and a Rookie Quarterback (Ryan Tannehill and whoever comes later). The Rookie Quarterback will win because we wasted a high draft pick on him.

30. supermariowilliams says: Apr 5, 2013 12:13 PM

You Dolphins fans are running out with these jokes. I laughed at the top one, but then it was like… They aren’t creative are they?

31. corkspop says: Apr 5, 2013 12:32 PM

Kolb will easily take the starting job. People forget how well he played in Philly out of the gate, and, how well he played in Arizona until they left him unprotected and without a running back. Given an O-line, 2 good backs and a game plan………… we’re back in business.

32. censormynameandmycomments says: Apr 5, 2013 3:34 PM

Kolb played in 5.5 games last season. He was sacked 27 times. Skelton, Lindley, and Hoyer were sacked 31 times combined in the other 10.5 games. Yes, the line wasn’t great. Kolb made it a LOT worse. Have fun with that, Bills fans.

33. jumboli says: Apr 5, 2013 8:19 PM

What’s he gonna say…. “I don’t like this office??

34. ladymacesq says: Apr 6, 2013 8:13 AM

Buffalo… where quarterbacks go to die.

Right, Vince Young?