NFLPA asks players for any concerns about cameras in locker rooms

Cam Newton AP

Earlier this week, the NFL announced that home teams will be required to put cameras in the locker room for pregame and halftime images (and possibly sound) that will be displayed on video boards and/or smartphone apps.

Apparently, the NFL didn’t get the input of the NFLPA before making this change.

NFLPA spokesman George Atallah has issued an open call via Twitter to any players, and particularly player representatives, who may have concerns about the move.

It’s unclear whether the use of cameras in the locker room falls within the range of what labor law calls a mandatory subject for collective bargaining.  It is clear that, at least for now, the NFLPA is reserving the right to fight.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
41 Responses to “NFLPA asks players for any concerns about cameras in locker rooms”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Apr 5, 2013 12:35 PM

Speaking as a former player, (and a damn good one) the locker room is a player’s sanctuary…I’m not such a fan to want that access anyway.

2. tridecagon says: Apr 5, 2013 12:41 PM

Sound? From the locker room at halftime? For public consumption? That’s insane.

3. kabmaforlife says: Apr 5, 2013 12:42 PM

I don’t want to or need an opportunity to see the players halved dressed. Just mandate an area fans can go to get autographs during every home game. Leave all that other stuff in the locker rooms

4. nineroutsider says: Apr 5, 2013 12:49 PM

This idea doesn’t persuade me to go to games. I really don’t care about their locker room speech, dance, pray, or towel fight. Put a TV in the back of every one of those cheap stadium seats and you may have a chance. Replace those hard cheap seats and you have a chance. I’m not going to pay all of that money for tickets, parking, food, drink, etc. if I can’t see the screen, sit in a rock hard seat, or not know what is really going on down on the field.

5. moeman79 says: Apr 5, 2013 12:54 PM

Next up is the toilet cam … see who left a floater live on the nfln

6. eastofmissball says: Apr 5, 2013 12:58 PM

Has the NFLPA, been in an NFL Locker Room at any time?? Are you crazy? What a intense intrusive idea all around. I can’t imagine a single player agreeing to such a ridiculous act against privacy. If it goes, try one locker room as a test subject. Find Bernard Pollard locker area. He has a tendency to run around butt naked swinging low and getting pumped up; it’s a sight. Lets see that on the jumbo tron…

7. lovefootball4life says: Apr 5, 2013 1:00 PM

Makes me wonder how the NFL comes up with these ideas. Do they dream them up themselves, get a outside marketing company, or do they ask paying fans? How do they get fan input?

Skip this one. It won’t send me to the game and I certainly won’t pay for it on a smartphone app.

8. mjkelly77 says: Apr 5, 2013 1:11 PM

logicalvoicesays says:Apr 5, 2013 12:35 PM

_______________

Uhhh, checkers doesn’t count.

9. FinFan68 says: Apr 5, 2013 1:14 PM

I would say this is the stupidest idea the NFL has had but there are many equally stupid ideas to choose from lately. Leave the coaches and players alone in the locker rooms. Eliminate ALL media access within the locker rooms and give media access to coaches and players after the game like they already do. Media members do not have a “right” to a story and fans do not have the right to know about “personal” stories. If they willingly approach the media ) and the dumb ones usually do) then fine but do not try to force-feed us crap for content’s sake.

10. jimr10 says: Apr 5, 2013 1:16 PM

Roger Goodelll says that is what the fans want.. i am surprised they have not figured out a way to get fans to pay for it…

11. CKL says: Apr 5, 2013 1:21 PM

Excellent! I said on the first topic about this subject that the NFLPA needs to jump on this. On its face, it’s a huge invasion of privacy issue. It’s sad that something like this would have to be specifically outlawed in the CBA( if that turns out to be the case).

I know there are certain lockerroom segments shown on tv, but the team has control as it is their camera people and their decision I believe. I wouldn’t want the NFL to mandate this access.

12. surfinbird1 says: Apr 5, 2013 1:21 PM

Knowing the NFL, there has to be a money angle at work here.

13. anarchopurplism says: Apr 5, 2013 1:22 PM

Lower ticket, food & beer prices. Supply & Demand principals at play.

Stop crying about the success of TV. Yes, it is a success. That’s why you get obscene contracts for TV rights.

Go ahead & innovate ideas to get people to come, just remember you are on-top & be thankful.

14. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Apr 5, 2013 1:23 PM

How stupid. I know they are trying to improve the experience at the stadium, but stay out of the locker rooms. There should be some privacy. Who thought this up?!

15. wtfpft says: Apr 5, 2013 1:26 PM

logicalvoicesays says:
    Speaking as a former player, (and a damn good one)

Yeah and if coach would’ve only put you in you would’ve won state, amiright?

16. gromit45 says: Apr 5, 2013 1:30 PM

The last thing any viewer wants to see are players hamming to the camera by doing a “spontaneous” Harlem Shake.

17. therealpittbull says: Apr 5, 2013 1:36 PM

This slope the NFL is going down is going to destroy the game. I won’t say why the camera’s are a big issue, most if you think about, already know. I don’t want my post deleted.

18. jimmyt says: Apr 5, 2013 1:39 PM

It would work for me if it were the cheerleaders locker room.

19. mythaimyke says: Apr 5, 2013 1:54 PM

Please tell me this is a April fools joke!

20. thingamajig says: Apr 5, 2013 2:10 PM

Is this the start of putting cameras in womens locker rooms for golf, tennis, softball, cheerleaders etc etc?

21. srbumblebeeman says: Apr 5, 2013 2:13 PM

“We did that years ago.”

-The New England Patriots

22. hockeyflow33 says: Apr 5, 2013 2:17 PM

Who needs to see this stuff? It adds nothing to the game and takes us away from actual football coverage.
    I don’t care what a player’s favorite book, food or superhero is. I just want to watch the game.

They have already ruined baseball with this nonsense, stop ruining other sports.

23. keylimelight says: Apr 5, 2013 2:20 PM

The NFL does have a money angle on this.

They’ll produce a compilation of the “best of” locker room footages , like “reality TV” type programming,

which they will air on the NFL Network to help fill their need for 24/7 football “news” to drum up drama where there is none,

thereby contributing to the cheapification of American football and further the social decline of society at large.

24. fdugrad says: Apr 5, 2013 2:24 PM

Any concerns? What player WOULDN’T have concerns?!

25. 11inthebox says: Apr 5, 2013 2:35 PM

@FinFan68 who says:

—————————–
    Best post of the day. Maybe of the year.

26. obamareallysucks says: Apr 5, 2013 2:56 PM

gay players are all for this

27. staff2cj says: Apr 5, 2013 2:56 PM

I suspect Roger God(dell) was involve with this in some capacity…

28. shaunypoo says: Apr 5, 2013 3:03 PM

If by camera’s you mean cameramen holding the large camera’s that are usually in the locker room then I don’t see a problem. You can’t do anything live in a locker room cause who knows what would be said or seen.

If you by camera’s you mean the kind hanging from the ceiling then that is not going to fly with anyone.

Can you imagine being in the locker room at you gym and seeing a camera looking at you? Not quite the same but don’t tell me the players would feel that much different.

I have never been in a professional locker room of any sport, but if half the stuff goes on and is said as in the locker room the average joe is in no one wants that on TV.

29. raiderufan says: Apr 5, 2013 3:07 PM

Access to the locker rooms? YAY that really makes up for the 8 hour day, terrible traffic and the emptiness of my bank account! Thanks NFL!

The fact is that if the NFL thinks this is even a start to a solution they better get used to empty stadiums.

30. drainbameged says: Apr 5, 2013 3:07 PM

If it were me…Id walk around with my cucumber and brussle sprouts out…they cant use that film

31. EJ says: Apr 5, 2013 3:13 PM

I personally don’t know any Fans that are that into football that they want access to the locker room. Besides, the locker room is where the players are supposed to be able to let go of their emotions, which is something they are not supposed to do on the field. So let the players have a space to themselves. I know I wouldn’t want a camera over my shoulder watching my every move when I’m trying to prepare myself for an important last half of the game. NFLPA vote no.

32. jwh8541 says: Apr 5, 2013 3:17 PM

This has to be a joke right?

Are they compelled to strip every vestige of dignity from these guys?

I know they are desperate to stem the tide of fans preferring home or bar over stadium but this aint gonna do it.

How bout lower the price of the $9 beers ?? Or spend some bucks to beef up the cellular network or give us wifi so we can get connected. THAT would be useful.

33. pfatl says: Apr 5, 2013 3:30 PM

I didn’t realize that there weren’t cameras in the locker room already.

I mean, I can’t unsee Vinsanthe Shiancoe’s dong…

34. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 5, 2013 3:30 PM

The line between NFL and Pro wrestlling is becoming very blurred these days. How about wives/girlfriends of players arguing and talkin’ smack during the game. geez

35. steelerben says: Apr 5, 2013 3:32 PM

Number one player concern about cameras in the locker room? Shrinkage.

36. marima07 says: Apr 5, 2013 4:11 PM

Big Brother is watching…

37. decimusprime says: Apr 5, 2013 4:32 PM

its a film crew not “Real World: NFL” hidden cameras. NBA did this for a while. Start of the 3rd they would show a coach going over game plan for the 2nd half. Boring to the masses so you dont see it really anymore. Thats all this will be, they will show a few seconds of tape of stuff the fans dont care about or will tire of quickly and it will be done. Experiment failed.

38. nard100 says: Apr 5, 2013 4:58 PM

The only people this really works for is the media. When this goes through, we all know it will only be a matter of time before some player or coach says something offensive during halftime that will get blown waaaaaay out of proportion and it will be news for weeks. Peter king will pontificate about it on Monday and Tuesday. Everybody….. in the media wins. I grow weary of a media that is growing more hypocritial each day. They lie in wait for someone to say the wrong thing and then POUNCE. Then they talk for hours about the answer to a leading question when in truth they got what they really wanted; a person to let their guard down and say something inappropriate.

39. mazblast says: Apr 5, 2013 5:47 PM

Al Davis was known to have had the visitors’ locker room at the (Howard Cosell voice) Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (Cosell voice off) wired for sound. Opposing coaches would make big plans vocally while holding up signs to the players saying, “don’t believe a word of this sh**, it’s just for Al”. Shanahan was known to address Davis directly–“Am I talking loudly enough for you, Al?”

40. marima07 says: Apr 5, 2013 6:18 PM

Exactly, nard100, anything you say can and will be used against you, after being spun by the media, in the court of public opinion.

The privacy issue is another thing altogether that’s being completely overlooked. The players will need a private changing room before they hit the locker room unless they’re all okay with dressing and undressing in front of 50,000 people every Sunday.

41. brentspeckmannbutthumps says: Apr 5, 2013 6:48 PM

I hope there’s a shower cam in the locker room. I’d stick around after every game to watch that sausage party!