Aaron Ross apologizes to Jacksonville for “vacation” comment

C.J. Spiller AP

Aaron Ross, the cornerback who played for the Giants from 2007 to 2011, left for the Jaguars in 2012 and then returned to the Giants this year, is in hot water for saying on Friday that he viewed his year in Jacksonville as a nice paid vacation in Florida.

That didn’t go over well with Jaguars fans, and so later in the day, Ross apologized.

I really apologize if Jag nation took offense to it,” Ross told ESPNNewYork.com. “I loved the opportunity that they gave me, they gave me a second chance to live my dream.”

Ross, who had a disappointing season in Jacksonville after signing there as a free agent, said he wasn’t trying to suggest with his “vacation” comment that he wasn’t giving maximum effort to the Jaguars.

“The only reason I said the vacation thing is because it was such a short turnaround for me to [come] back home with the Giants, it felt like [being away on] a vacation. I definitely didn’t mean any harm to Jacksonviile city or the fans or disrespect to the organization. I have the utmost respect for that organization,” Ross said.

Whatever Ross intended with his comments, he’s not a popular man right now in Jacksonville. But that’s more because of the bad season he had in 2012 than the way he described that season.

Permalink 74 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
74 Responses to “Aaron Ross apologizes to Jacksonville for “vacation” comment”
  1. kingpel says: Apr 6, 2013 6:58 AM

You can apologize all you want, but we all know you were speaking the truth.

2. frankdatank23 says: Apr 6, 2013 7:07 AM

It’s sad that in today’s world You have to constantly apologize to the over sensitive jerks out there. It’s like Ryan tannehill poking fun at the news that Brady and amendola just started working out when he and Wallace started weeks ago. Pats fans wanted to cry.

3. steelernationisuperiortothelowlyplebsofthenfllolol says: Apr 6, 2013 7:10 AM

LOL

4. blairsummit says: Apr 6, 2013 7:12 AM

Yeah yeah yeah

5. sterling7 says: Apr 6, 2013 7:16 AM

I miss the old days when players were more “professional”. Can’t any of these players just shut the hell up?!

6. joeyd524 says: Apr 6, 2013 7:23 AM

It’s ridiculous,you can’t be funny anymore…

7. 1chilla says: Apr 6, 2013 7:27 AM

He must had took a break on new york too before he left because his sorry ass stayed getn burnt maybe sanya richards-ross can hold her own in nfl better than her husband

8. lostsok says: Apr 6, 2013 7:28 AM

I’m not sure a year playing for THAT team is any kind of vacation. Maybe like a Carnival cruise gone wrong type of vacation, or the kind where Chevy Chase is driving…

9. gpry says: Apr 6, 2013 7:38 AM

It’s quite obvious that he was talking about being away from giants not disrespecting the jags!! Otherwise he would have made the comment “I am glad my year with a terrible organization with fair weather fan support is over”.

10. beckzhere says: Apr 6, 2013 7:46 AM

What a jackass!

11. mdev1987 says: Apr 6, 2013 7:47 AM

Playing in Jax is no vaca

12. gadzod says: Apr 6, 2013 7:48 AM

I didn’t know Jacksonville had fans. Unless they were dressed as an empty seat or a tarp.

13. flavordave says: Apr 6, 2013 7:51 AM

It will not be a vacation when the Chip Kelly 11 Headed Offensive Monster Machine chews him up and spits out bones. World Domination Tour 2013 is fired up and ready to roll.

14. razzlejag says: Apr 6, 2013 7:53 AM

There’s a history. Hugh Douglas signed with Jacksonville, played very over-the-hill poorly and was paid big money. After he left, he said some unfortunate things and has been ripped by the fans here ever since.

Ross’ comments were probably meant to be less inflammatory than they were, I think Jax was factoring in the Douglas’ history and feeling like a little more salt was being poured into the wound.

15. z0inks says: Apr 6, 2013 7:55 AM

“I apologize to any confusion I may have caused by comparing my time in Jacksonville to a paid vacation.

“I should have compared it to waking up naked in a Tijuana hotel bed after a three-day bender, lying next to a fat, hairy drag queen who reeks of bile and sweat, and spending the rest of your life pretending it never happened.

“That’s what it’s like being a Jaguar.”

16. jagsfan1 says: Apr 6, 2013 7:57 AM

The entire organization has been on a vacation from good decisions and competitiveness for the last 4 years…so who cares?

We stink…we don’t even try to get better….and now are being told we are going to rebuild through the draft and “college free agency”…

correct me if I am wrong – but that means signing guys who were deemed “not draft worthy” by all 32 teams…including us – right?

But have no fear – becaue all of our draft picks will pan out…right?

17. rbecks9 says: Apr 6, 2013 8:06 AM

I’m not a Jaguar fan so I could care less about the comment, but who the h*ll is Aaron Ross? Always find it funny when a guy who wasn’t even a full time starter (with Giants-41 starts in 5 years, 9 starts with Jags) pops off, especially when he had to massive pay cut.

18. jpb12 says: Apr 6, 2013 8:16 AM

There’s no denying the Jaguars suck.
    He got paid an NFL wage to play for a team that nobody watched… in Florida.

He’s back to a real NFL team after a hiatus in the sun

19. 2thguy says: Apr 6, 2013 8:19 AM

so you’re telling me that he offended all 8 of their fans?

20. contract says: Apr 6, 2013 8:20 AM

Couldn’t have pissed off more than 40,000 – 50,000 fans max.

21. therealpittbull says: Apr 6, 2013 8:22 AM

There is a such thing as ” Jag Nation”? You become a noteworthy nation when you conquer another. Until then, you’re a ground of vagabonds, wondering the country, looking for a place to settle. In this case, a bunch of team cheerers, in a city that has nothing else. Besides, stop using the nation word, find something else less cliche.

22. bengalskuta82 says: Apr 6, 2013 8:27 AM

Some NFL players need communication coaches. I guess publicists are there for that reason. I mean, some of them say or post some of the dumbest things ever. Then later they realize what they’ve done would hurt them getting jobs or playing time, they quickly apologize but then they struggle to down play everything. Are they really sorry? Aaron Ross, who the heck are u fooling here?? We know why u said that..lol

23. shawon0meter says: Apr 6, 2013 8:29 AM

I’m sure he was semi-joking but until they get things turned in the right direction, the best thing about playing for the Jags is living in Jacksonville and getting paid big money. Let’s be honest here!

24. gpete1962 says: Apr 6, 2013 8:30 AM

Your a real JAG Off, Ross!!

25. ravensdominate says: Apr 6, 2013 8:32 AM

Didn’t know there was such a thing as jag nation… This franchise is worse than the redskins and I didn’t think that was possible. Fill your stadium or move to LA. To think this dump got a team before Baltimore still baffles me. Same goes to Carolina.

26. bigbluemagoo says: Apr 6, 2013 8:34 AM

he’s apologizing because next year he might be looking for a new team and im sure that comment is unattractive to any team who might need a vet cb. he should be apologizing to Will Hill for taking #31 back.

27. northshorejag says: Apr 6, 2013 8:39 AM

Not to mention the Giants were not going to let him miss training camp so he could watch his wife compete in the Olympics. Jax allowed before he signed.

And then he sucked all year

28. ssraebel says: Apr 6, 2013 8:40 AM

I am a Jags fan and have been a season ticket holder for years including last year. While I didn’t like Ross’s comment on the surface, I do understand what he meant and do accept his apology. I do wonder if his play that was less than stellar was a by product of this same mentality, I got paid so it is time to kick back and relax. If anyone wonders why teams are shying away from big free agent contracts Ross is now the poster boy of why NOT to sign a big FA contract on a player. The players union has been researching the “collusion” of the teams this offseason and I think this has collectively but that theory to rest. Caveat emptor.

29. ssraebel says: Apr 6, 2013 8:42 AM

“put that theory to rest” sorry

30. sanfranfanyouknowit says: Apr 6, 2013 8:56 AM

I like what he said, just trying to make light of his situation. I don’t think he will make a difference for the Giants this year but he got paid to go to Florida while every New Yorker takes their winter vacation down there to escape cold weather.

31. SouthTexasRaider says: Apr 6, 2013 9:05 AM

He needs to apologize on how he used he the word nation in “Jag nation”……there’s only one nation, Raider Nation! dang boy, everybody know that.

32. kivory2 says: Apr 6, 2013 9:06 AM

Yea whatever. GO JAGS!!!!!

33. seals1 says: Apr 6, 2013 9:08 AM

After hearing that the union should not complain about owner colution. These are the players who kill the goose. Would not expect any less from a longhorn.

34. whatjusthapped says: Apr 6, 2013 9:14 AM

Wait, Jacksonville has a NFL team?

Who knew?

35. johnnyjagfan says: Apr 6, 2013 9:16 AM

Whatever. Memories of Ross will always include him pulling up and jogging in the direction of the pylon once a QB had already gone over his head and the WR dusted him for 6.

36. illicitbehavior says: Apr 6, 2013 9:27 AM

Baltimore HAD a team, you just managed to piss them off to the point that they left in the middle of the night. Then you get a team that’s a super bowl contender and winner right out of the box. Some cheese with that whine, sir?

37. chaplainpagne says: Apr 6, 2013 9:30 AM

It is not an apology when you say “sorry if YOU were offended”.
    Regardless, he played very poorly and the Jaguars treated him very well. They even had his wife come on the field and to honor her…

What he said was dumb, but I don’t think he was trying to poke the Jaguar organization. He was just saying what he thought of last year. If he chose to apologize, he should have really apologized instead of deflecting the blame to the fans.

38. rajbais says: Apr 6, 2013 9:31 AM

The only thing wrong about the “vacation” comment was that he called Jacksonville as a vacation spot.

Say it when it’s South Beach!!!!

39. pettytom says: Apr 6, 2013 10:06 AM

flavordave says:
    Apr 6, 2013 7:51 AM

I’d like some of what you’re smoking!

40. espfdps says: Apr 6, 2013 10:06 AM

“Jag nation” That about 4 ppl

41. kev86 says: Apr 6, 2013 10:18 AM

Accept his apology or don’t. Everyone is so sensitive. It’s football. Welcome home Ross. 2x SB champ.

42. therealpittbull says: Apr 6, 2013 10:24 AM

@SouthTexasRaider

I agree. The Raiders are the orig ial and only nation. I don’t even like when us Steeler fans say “Steeler Nation”, although there are so many of us. I believe the Raiders were the first to use the term, and it belongs to you. Just as, the Lambeau Leap in Green Bay, and The Terrible Towels in Pittsburgh. I wish other franchises would get their own traditions, stick with them, and create an identity. Stop using everyone else’s marketing and team traditions.

43. cobibones13 says: Apr 6, 2013 10:25 AM

contract says:
    Apr 6, 2013 8:20 AM
    Couldn’t have pissed off more than 40,000 – 50,000 fans max.

===============

The Jags had better attendance last season than 12 other teams, and had just under 65,000 in attendance per home game.

44. cobibones13 says: Apr 6, 2013 10:28 AM

ssraebel says:
    Apr 6, 2013 8:40 AM

=============

What are you going on about? Ross didn’t make much more than Guy Whimper type money. You’re acting like the Jags gave him a $10 mil signing bonus or something.

45. cobibones13 says: Apr 6, 2013 10:41 AM

Ross is an idiot who didn’t realize what he was saying. But Gene Smith got what he paid for. A crap CB that couldn’t start for a team that drafted him in the 1st round, and probably wouldn’t give him more than the vet minimum. Gene thought let’s get this guy for more than he’s worth, let him go to the olympics(basically on a paid vacation) when everyone else was busting their butt to make the team, and give him a starting spot he never earned.

He was so terrible a gimpy broken down Rashean Mathis was much better than a completely healthy Ross. He was also worse than Derek Cox and Mike Harris(a rookie who was a backup in college).

Why are so many homer Giants coming in here to defend this guy? None of them were saying he was worth anything last offseason, now that he’s back on their team he’s a good player? Whatever you have to tell yourselves.

46. commonsensedude says: Apr 6, 2013 10:43 AM

I thought the whole Jaguars organization was planning to go on an extended vacation … To Los Angeles.

47. emma333 says: Apr 6, 2013 10:44 AM

Great, Aaron. Thanks for the apology. Still, the damage was done..Having watched the interview, Wyche and Davis were trying to lead you to a bash party of the Jaguars. First, the questions that caused you to make the vacation comment. Then to top it off, they asked you to compare Gabbert to E Manning. It was all very hilarious and a yuk-fest ensued. You did their bidding. # Unprofessional.

48. packerman1968 says: Apr 6, 2013 10:49 AM

He talks , just like he plays. Wishy washy…dude man up. You said it , you ment it, now own it.

49. gaggee says: Apr 6, 2013 11:02 AM

It is the difference in cultures by the percentages. While there are lazy caucasians, the percentages suggest that they are few and far between. On the other hand, in the african american culture, the percentage that are lazy or have an entitlement attitude are higher. It is a matter of record, not based on racism. Years ago, when the NFL was predominantly caucaian made up of immigrants, they took pride in their work ethic. African americans demanded acceptance into this league, now that they are included we hear how caucasians use them as gladiators for their own amusement and that the game has brutality. This is often said by the “lazies” of the culture. Did Walter Payton ever complain? Did Jerry Rice? Emmitt Smith? Barry Sanders? Gino Marchetti? Chuck Bednarik? I betcha that Chuck’s Dad would have kicked him in the ass if he had made a comment like Ross. In those days a person was expected to be grateful for the blessings bestowed upon them. When Jerry Rice, Walter, Gale Sayers etc. came into the league, they played their hearts out also and never complained. Eventually their payday came, and they were grateful. Everyone dies eventually, it is how we act while we are here that define us as a person, culture, etc. Football has always been a collison sport, if a person doesn’t like that they are free to chose another profession. No one is twisting Ross’s arm to play. He has a duty to perform to the highest degree of the limits of his ability. What he did in Jacksonville last year is no more than grand larceny. There are people of all races that would give their left nut to play in the NFL and he makes a mockery of the whole process. The NFL has a duty to weed these guys out and replace them with grateful individuals who will give nothing but their best effort. In case you are wondering, I am not a Jacksonville fan, I am simply a warrior who never made it to the NFL, but I always give a high degree of effort in whatever I do. I owe it to the people who left me behind to carry the torch. Are you reading this Mr. Ross?

50. balzer41 says: Apr 6, 2013 11:13 AM

People are such crybabies! Its embarrassing that so many people are so sensitive to everything somebody says.

51. scarletmacaw says: Apr 6, 2013 11:24 AM

ravensdominate says:
    Apr 6, 2013 8:32 AM

All-time record between teams, Jags 10, Ravens 7

52. ssraebel says: Apr 6, 2013 11:40 AM

=================

I must have missed where Guy said he was “on vacation”.

Football players are there to play football. They might succeed or fail. But if they fail it is probably best to not say things like “vacation”.

53. dnelson21 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:16 PM

Amazing how many idiot Giants fans are out there with little to no info regarding any team besides their own. The jabs taken at Jags fans and attendance might be funny if true. Instead of wasting my breath with facts regarding this, I’d rather just point out that Giants fans are clueless.

54. pacodawg says: Apr 6, 2013 12:20 PM

Backpeddle City. “I want to give the Jags thanks for giving me a second chance”. He left on his own, the Giants never wanted him to leave in the first place. Bo second chance was needed.

These guys suck.

55. emma333 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:24 PM

@ravensdominate- Jaguars fans are known as being ultra-sensitve….Baltimore fans win the prize. So much hate directed at 2 expansion teams that have never even won a Superbowl. It must have been very traumatic to wake up one morning and have your team gone…I think you can get over it now.

56. kerryc21realty says: Apr 6, 2013 12:26 PM

redskin fans are happy to see you come back to the Giants.

57. jimeejohnson says: Apr 6, 2013 12:29 PM

Jacksonville blows away the butthole of the Universe: New Yawk!

58. dnelson21 says: Apr 6, 2013 1:03 PM

@emma333 – “Jags fans are known for being ultra-sensitive”. Who are you to generalize anything about a group of fans? Because we defended our team when a nobody CB who played terribly threw an insult in there at the city for no reason? If that is your personality to just go with it and not defend it, that’s your stand.. but those of us with backbones decide to give our opinion. Perhaps you and whatever team you like just has a very passive stance.. in other words, boring and typically walked over. Don’t generalize about something you have zero knowledge with.

59. russellbandingo says: Apr 6, 2013 1:08 PM

As a season ticket holder for the course of the teams existence, it rubbed Jaguars fans wrong due to the treatment he received last year from the team and the fans. His wife got honored last year at he stadium, him and his wife were treated like longtime members of the community who did something to earn it, and the team allowed him to miss training camp for the Olympics to watch his wife. He refused to sign autographs or do special appearances anywhere, unlike actual team members who interact with the fans here. how hard is it just to say that you enjoyed your time in Jacksonville even though you didn’t win, and that maybe you didn’t have your best year as well. After all, I had just as many ints as him and I was in the stands or on my couch for each game, and he only beat me by 46 tackles.

60. razzlejag says: Apr 6, 2013 1:08 PM

The main reason that Carolina and Jacksonville beat out Baltimore for a franchise is that Art Modell’s move from Cleveland was well in the works by then. He wanted that Baltimore market and likely all the owners were in on it.

For you Jax bashers, Jaguars attendance last year was more than the Steelers attendance, maybe the Steelers should move to LA or put up some tarps. eh?

LA Steelers…nice ring to it.

61. ilovefoolsball says: Apr 6, 2013 1:39 PM

Any team that you have to play in the same city as “thegreatgabbert” cannot be considered a vacation.

62. maddenisfordorks says: Apr 6, 2013 1:48 PM

At least women in Jax have nice tans, and don’t reek of the subway.

63. emma333 says: Apr 6, 2013 1:55 PM

@dnelson- I am probably the #1 Jags fan here..have you read my posts? I was quoting all the commenters that slam us, belittle us and tell us we don’t exist, tell us our team is moving……etc…etc …etc…If we seem a bit oversensitive, add me to that group…we get that our team isn’t good. But I’d love to see if Baltimore and other cities fan base, and stadium if they were to go 2-14, just once.

64. thenew013 says: Apr 6, 2013 3:29 PM

apology accepted.

65. kw27p says: Apr 6, 2013 3:54 PM

I hear Ross was gonna go on tv to apologize but it got blacked out,ahahahhaha

66. i10east says: Apr 6, 2013 4:04 PM

“This really offended their three fans” Hahahahahahaha!!! Really funny, and creative!!!!

One good thing if PFT takes the comments section down, no more takes from the annoying Jag haters, thank God!!!

67. 950003cups says: Apr 6, 2013 4:06 PM

He’s gonna have another paid vacation in NJ too. He’ll get burned on his first outing (likely preseason) and never be allowed back to Giants Stadium without a paid ticket.

68. brassknuckles47 says: Apr 6, 2013 6:16 PM

I’m getting tired of sports figures, politicans, etc. that make a comment then back-pedal and take it back. Hey! If you are going to say it at least have the balls to stick by what you said. Wuss!

69. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 6, 2013 7:15 PM

Yet another case of “sorry I said what I really think.”

70. jagsfanugh says: Apr 6, 2013 7:46 PM

I guess a lot of you people are living in 2008. Hello it’s 2013 and the past 4 yrs attendance hasn’t been an issue in Jax, and that is surprising considering how awful they have been.

71. blaineondemhoes says: Apr 6, 2013 9:02 PM

You know what’s worse than Aaron Ross’s statement is you ignorant fools who still think the Jags have no fans. Despite the fact 10 teams had worse attendance last year I guess we’ll always be the whipping boys. That’s fine. It’s going to be fun when we get good again extending our combined middle finger at you all and saying deal with it. It’s only a matter of time. What comes around…. Have fun being uniformed fools in the meantime. :)

72. jason49er says: Apr 6, 2013 9:05 PM

Of course having actually watched the interview on NFLN when he said this, he also was asked if, having the benefit of hindsight, would he still have signed with Jacksonville last year and he said yes.

Unfortunately for Aaron Ross it was a slow news week and the media gotta find something to write about.

73. cobibones13 says: Apr 6, 2013 9:19 PM

ssraebel says:
    Apr 6, 2013 11:40 AM
    =================

I must have missed where Guy said he was “on vacation”.

Can you read? I said he got Guy Whimper type money. Never said anything about Whimper other than how much he was given.

You went of on this huge tangent out of nowhere about how all NFL teams aren’t giving out big FA contracts because of this. You’re acting like he stole more money from the Jags than Hugh Douglas did.

Aaron Ross didn’t phone it in last year, he was just never good to begin with. No team is going to look at a top FA like Mike Wallace and say, well you know what happened to that great CB Aaron Ross after he got less than $1 million as a signing bonus last year.

74. therealpittbull says: Apr 6, 2013 10:13 PM

@Razzlejag

The Jags stadium holds more than Heinz Field, therefore your attendance should be more. Simple mathematics.

As for sellouts, that’s another story, being sold out for the past 30 plus straight years, and a waiting list of over 150,000 who will never get season tickets. My family has had ours for 40 years, but I bet I can call the Jaguar ticket office now, and buy a suite, 50 yard line, or even locker room seats for that dump. Oh BTW, we only have blackouts, when that team of yours hits our airways. We put our black terrible towels over the tv.