Multiple gay players coming out would decrease distraction caused by one

Gay Marriage Becomes Legal In California Getty Images

Vikings punter Chris Kluwe recently wrote that a gay player is not a distraction for a football team.

Ideally, he’s right.  Who a player is should have no bearing on what he can do on a football field.

But before the NFL (or any other pro sport) can get to the point where this characteristic is regarded no differently than eye color, players who currently are concealing their sexual orientation need to come out and be who they are.

The problem is that coming out becomes the distraction.  If only one player comes out, that player will trigger the descent of the national if not worldwide sports and non-sports media on the team, with every player, coach, and front-office official asked repeatedly for a reaction by reporters hopeful that one or more of them will say something inflammatory.

That’s why having four or more gay players come out at the same time will make it easier for each of them.  And that’s also why the best outcome for each gay player in the NFL would be for all gay players in the NFL to coordinate an “I am Spartacus” moment.

A simultaneous self-outing would make the moment bigger than the players, and it would prevent any accusation that one player is making himself bigger than the team.

It also would allow (and possibly force) the NFL to regard all future gay players as not being a distraction at all, allowing people to simply be who they are.

Permalink 132 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
132 Responses to “Multiple gay players coming out would decrease distraction caused by one”
  1. howiefeltersnatch says: Apr 6, 2013 12:06 PM

I hope one of these four knuckleheads isn’t on my favorite team.

2. romoscollarbone says: Apr 6, 2013 12:08 PM

Until one actually comes out can we just talk about football, namely draft preparations. I do agree it will be a watershed moment but it hasn’t happened yet.

3. Daniel Malone says: Apr 6, 2013 12:09 PM

I hope the above knucklehead isn’t a fan of my favorite team.

4. iced107 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:11 PM

omg can the niners just sign richard simmons and get this over with? PFT is the only one regurgitating the same ‘gay issue’ over and over

5. ahawkalypse says: Apr 6, 2013 12:11 PM

Not sure why it matters so much. Do they wanna get NFL marriage benefits or hold hands and kiss in the locker room? Play Football!

6. deucedropper says: Apr 6, 2013 12:12 PM

Multiple gay players coming out at the same time is not a problem.

Multiple articles on gay players coming out at the same time is the new PFT.

7. smokinjoes91 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:12 PM

“Ok guys on 3 we’ll do it together. 1..2…nahhh just kidding I’m not going to do it either. But look at all the headlines we made!”

8. benbulben says: Apr 6, 2013 12:13 PM

Jeez all these articles reinforcing the stereotype that all they are after is attention. Queens……………….New York

9. berniemadoffsides says: Apr 6, 2013 12:14 PM

Just get it over with already. Though I respect the right for any man or woman to do as they please in the privacy of their homes (straight or gay), let’s just get PAST this already. I bet 95%+ of the players/coaches feel the same way.

Let’s just play football.

10. sliceanddic3 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:15 PM

Howiefeltnersnatch-

I bet you’re a Steeler fan, huh?

11. raiderssf says: Apr 6, 2013 12:16 PM

It would be hilarious if everyone made a big deal about these 4 guys coming out. Have a big live production pay per view kinda thing with Ryan Seacrest hosting and Ellen Dengeneres providing the analysis. And a 1/2 hour before they announce the players who are coming out, some random player tweets, “I am gay, big deal, let’s go to Applebee’s”.

12. cuda1234 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:17 PM

Please stop the gay advocacy crap and try to stick to football.

13. mnvikes7897 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:17 PM

Or not. Then there wouldn’t be any distraction.

14. snowman36 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:17 PM

The sooner Aaron Rodgers lets the “secret” out the sooner we’ll be over this

15. Stiller43 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:19 PM

I hope theyre all big tough linebackers, like a Patrick Willis type.

16. modhairken says: Apr 6, 2013 12:19 PM

Yeah, and if they were also Indians, I mean Native Americans, oops, Amerigo was a marauder, Native People, they could come out and also demand that they change the name of the Redskins.

I like Washington Gay Natives.

17. dontrunfromme says: Apr 6, 2013 12:20 PM

Please don’t associate Spartacus with this topic again. Thankyou

18. bearclaw69 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:20 PM

“regarded no differently than eye color”? Are you F’in kidding me? People with different eye colors aren’t biological freaks. Gays got into the wrong lines when the estrogen and testosterone were being passed out. They are abnormal human beings, but that doesn’t mean one or more hasn’t, isn’t or will be playing in the NFL.

19. greysolon says: Apr 6, 2013 12:22 PM

“this characteristic is regarded no differently than eye color”

————————-

20. cuda1234 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:23 PM

No, it won’t. The liberal media, led by NBC, will do anything in its power to make this person out to be a hero.

21. igglesnut says: Apr 6, 2013 12:24 PM

While I think what a person does in the privacy of their own home is their own business, I ask what the response would be if a group of female atheletes were told that they have to accept males in their locker rooms viewing them in states of undress. While I personally think right of privacy laws and other laws that emanate from them are very questionable from a constitutional point of view, I’m sure that if females were subjected to males in their locker room that there would be an outcry about how their privacy is being violated. To me, the same situation applies here.

22. steelhammer92 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:24 PM

GFT, you’re only source for up-to-the-minute gay football news.

23. wwwmattcom says: Apr 6, 2013 12:26 PM

When dies reporting news officially become Gossip? When it isn’t news. This article is just gossip. Can ya stop already?

24. eaglesmetal says: Apr 6, 2013 12:26 PM

It’s a deviancy, not eye color. And 4 players or more “coming out” isn’t cause for celebration, but sadness and disappointment. I hope none plays for Philadelphia.

25. tyler4richardson says: Apr 6, 2013 12:27 PM

Seems like Kluwe and Ayanbadejo are more concerned that the world knows they care about gay athletes, then gay athletes are concerned with coming out. Any story involving Kluwe and Ayanbadejo has become redundant. They aren’t trailblazers. They seem pushy if anything. When a gay athlete decides it’s the right time to come out, then you have a story. But until that happens, you just have Kluwe and Ayanbadejo grabbing for news headlines.

26. tangotwo22 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:27 PM

This is alot to do about nothing…there ahve been many gay guys in football over the years. What matters is can they tackle , catch , run or throw….if they can no one will give a hoot. If they suck then they suck….no pun intended.

27. t16rich says: Apr 6, 2013 12:29 PM

28. watchfullhose says: Apr 6, 2013 12:34 PM

““this characteristic is regarded no differently than eye color”

————————-

Just the fact that there has to be such a massive brainwashing effort proves it is nothing like eye color.”

Perhaps skin color would have been a better choice of words.

29. mccourty1sland says: Apr 6, 2013 12:34 PM

If a player has a press conference to announce he is straight, what would your reaction be? Looking forward to hearing the comments on that.

If a player has a press conference to say he’s gay/straight or whatever, I feel like it would be just to gather attention for that community. Shouldn’t matter what you are just play and shut up about it.

30. patssox says: Apr 6, 2013 12:38 PM

Why exactly is it important for people to announce their sexual preferences to the world?

I never announced to my office mates that I’m straight. I never sent out a press release.

31. fearthehoody says: Apr 6, 2013 12:39 PM

OK, we get it! The media would love gays in NFL! Imagine a world where all athletes were gay. The media would spontaneously combust!!

32. mediasloppy says: Apr 6, 2013 12:40 PM

I think anyone who is getting upset over this is just getting old and has stereotyped a player ever coming out as a Diva.

The film, “42,” is a must see for you guys. It shows the racial discrimination of the time and what it took for Jackie Robinson to break the racial barrier at the time. It leaves the questions, how on Earth did Robinson live through that. How did he do it? How did he endure the taunts and the bigotry for all of that time?

Get over it and quit complaining about your own World view as it’s not the overall consensus of the population or the players!

And maybe Florio can slow down a bit on these articles that grab so much attention for what most people have no problem with…

33. qbcampfail says: Apr 6, 2013 12:40 PM

Who is more clueless here? The gay bashers or the ones who say no one cares?

34. themackstrong says: Apr 6, 2013 12:40 PM

Read the headline and clicked to check if it was a Florio article…

35. lancewhite00437 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:44 PM

Ever since the Manti Te’o story broke, Florio has been working hard to out a gay NFL player. I have no idea why.

36. laserw says: Apr 6, 2013 12:44 PM

Where is there a distraction possible with a gay player? We already allow female reporters with no talent to enter lockerrooms. If gay players are going to meat gaze, so will female reporters. Come on! This is a non-issue. Of course there will be bigots in the locker room who fear their manhood will be stolen – but those are the same guys who beat up their girl friends.

37. snowman36 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:45 PM

im what they call, a top

38. samefamilymarriageadvocate says: Apr 6, 2013 12:46 PM

Mike Florio is a hottie but he usually won’t allow my pro-same family marriage posts to show up. I’m still attracted to him like a brother.

39. lancewhite00437 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:47 PM

“““this characteristic is regarded no differently than eye color”

I can’t change my natural eye color. As long as there are people like Anne Heche around, your statement lacks foundation

40. samefamilymarriageadvocate says: Apr 6, 2013 12:48 PM

It’s just like eye color. You know, 2 or 3% have that one color and just about everyone else has that other color.

41. mrphootball says: Apr 6, 2013 12:48 PM

This is ridiculous and has no place in reporting on. Most fans don’t want to hear this garbage.

They shouldn’t come out like the guy said earlier you wouldn’t like males in a female locker room it’s the same deal. It’s invasion of privacy for those that are straight. Save this crap for the political forums its getting damn old.

42. ampats says: Apr 6, 2013 12:49 PM

My question is why this is such an important issue for Kluwe & Ayenjabego(sp??) ?

Usually when people are so committed to a cause there is a personal reason ?

43. onbucky96 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:50 PM

Can the guy play? If so, great. Welcome to the team. If not, go see the Head Coach and bring your playbook.

44. sixjak says: Apr 6, 2013 12:51 PM

This is so fascinating…..oh wait…it isn’t.

45. floridaslonechargersfan says: Apr 6, 2013 12:52 PM

I didn’t even read the article, just the comments. I saw the article was one by Florio (does he have a stack full of them to post at any moment?) and knew it would be redundant to read it. Can we all just stop commenting on these (yes, I’m aware I am commenting myself on this one)? Can you imagine the stunned look on Florio’s face when his next article about gay marriage is posted and gets ZERO hits?

I read that 2% of the total population is gay. So in the NFL, that would about 34 players. Are we really going into panic mode over what 34 players may or may not do in the bedroom? Can we get some draft insight or at least a schedule leak so I can plan a trip?

46. noring4youstill says: Apr 6, 2013 12:53 PM

Does anyone really care? It’s seems that it is just for the me factor. We don’t care if you’re gay or not gay. We don’t care if you want to get married. Call us when 2 guys successfully make a baby together. That’s news.

47. scmems07 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:53 PM

So before you were released it was 1 player to come out, now that you’ve been released its 4…So your saying you were the first gay person and the 3 people who released you are gay for doing so.

48. greysolon says: Apr 6, 2013 12:56 PM

“Perhaps skin color would have been a better choice of words.”
    ————————————–

It’s nothing like skin color either. It is biologically abnormal and incompatible.

49. abreathofsanity says: Apr 6, 2013 12:57 PM

Jeff garcia was always a little…”different” to me.

50. bobzilla1001 says: Apr 6, 2013 12:57 PM

Let’s just proclaim them “all gay” and move on!!

51. barneyrumble says: Apr 6, 2013 12:59 PM

Am more curious as to collusion and why all these pro bowlers haven’t been signed with all the cap money still out there than when a gay player or players come out, but that’s just me.

52. scmems07 says: Apr 6, 2013 1:01 PM

You must not have seen Jeff Garcia’s wife then….. Definitely nothing gay about that!

53. FinFan68 says: Apr 6, 2013 1:04 PM

Why was my last post deleted? Oh, yeah, it goes against the incessant gay player rumor articles. Ayanbedejo already stated that he was merely speculating and has not had conversations with ANY player contemplating coming out, much less 4.

54. coolhandluke1 says: Apr 6, 2013 1:12 PM

It’s refreshing to see that so many people could care less if a player is gay. But wouldn’t it be interesting if the four players that are thinking of coming out were on the same team?

55. dolphinsguy says: Apr 6, 2013 1:12 PM

Who cares about a players sexual orientation. All I are about is whether or not they can make plays for my team. I don’t really like the NFL as a platform for sexual orientation. Well if it makes someone feel better about them self or validate their SO so be it.

56. wtfchiefs says: Apr 6, 2013 1:13 PM

This will be hilarious if it is a QB and a Center on the same team.

57. ike73 says: Apr 6, 2013 1:16 PM

Do it, Tebow!

58. cuda1234 says: Apr 6, 2013 1:18 PM

NOT the same as skin color. Gays were not systematically enslaved, beaten, denied education, voting rights or freedom. This is not the same at all.

Also please tell me what marriage rights straight people have that gays don’t. Seriously how are marriage rights unequal right now?

59. cuda1234 says: Apr 6, 2013 1:19 PM

Amen, Ike73. Too many Tebow posts, too many gay posts. When Timmy comes out we could just combine these non-issues and cut the amount of reporting in half.

60. FinFan68 says: Apr 6, 2013 1:25 PM

cuda1234 says:
    Apr 6, 2013 1:18 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It’s not exactly “rights” it’s more “benefits”. Legal recognition means benefits (tax deductions, avenues provided via potential divorce, death benefits, etc.) and that equals money. The activists always present this issue as a moral argument but it really is a financial argument.

61. emmittstar says: Apr 6, 2013 1:25 PM

They should be fashion designers not football players

62. CKL says: Apr 6, 2013 1:28 PM

This is another story I wouldn’t click on if there were no comments allowed.

To several people’s questions on, “What are Kluwe’s and Ayanbadejo’s personal connection to this, they must have one?” I believe they both have gay family members.

What’s funny is that a R politician in my state has come out in favor of gay marriage and some liberals are calling him a “hypocrite” because he “changed only because he found out his son is gay” yet those same people have no issue with these two promoting gay marriage due to having family members who are gay. So that is actually hypocritical. I don’t care why people decide to change their minds. Personal experience with anything is a powerful impetus to any change. I see nothing wrong with that.

63. greysolon says: Apr 6, 2013 1:29 PM

Why are Chris Kluwe and Brendon Ayanbadejo so obsessed with gay players?

Why are Chris Kluwe and Brendon Ayanbadejo so obsessed with making themselves the spokespeople for the gay movement?

Why are Chris Kluwe and Brendon Ayanbadejo so obsessed with other people’s thoughts about gay players?

Abnormal? THATS abnormal.

64. claymatthewshairplugs says: Apr 6, 2013 1:36 PM

While I support there cause sounds like kluwe and bA must be part of the four. Maybe mant too?

65. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 6, 2013 1:37 PM

I’d be just as happy if they kept their junk in the closet.

66. bster01 says: Apr 6, 2013 1:40 PM

howiefeltersnatch is afraid he might like that team a little to much

67. germanstingray says: Apr 6, 2013 1:43 PM

I hope they all play for the Packers.

68. barrywhererufrom says: Apr 6, 2013 1:46 PM

Who cares..the agenda of the left in this country is sickening..enough already..

69. tackleberries says: Apr 6, 2013 1:46 PM

For those of you saying things like “I hope he’s not on my team” I have a question. When you learned about civil rights in school and you read racist comments from people at that time who opposed civil rights, are you like “yeah that’s what I would have said”? I always felt embarrassed for them. I think it’s how a lot of kids in the future would take your comments.

70. granadafan says: Apr 6, 2013 2:00 PM

It’s a big deal for this issue because football is seen as the “manliest” of sports. If a gay player can survive in football, then the maybe societal discrimination by conservative evangelicals against gays will change.

71. blackngold4life says: Apr 6, 2013 2:01 PM

How do these 2 know so much about who’s on the NFLs gay list? Hmmmmmmmz

72. jeff6381 says: Apr 6, 2013 2:02 PM

A gay player is a distraction thats why we have to read or hear about it every freaking day. I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t a gay player and these 4 gays never come out. I could care less if there are gays or not where a man puts his dip stick is his personal business why does he feel he has to let the world know. I want an athlete to announce he is straight and see what type of press he gets.

73. abreathofsanity says: Apr 6, 2013 2:06 PM

Lol @ the dude who said that i thought Garcia was gay lol. I do know about jeffs wife but the guy was definatly strange. Just look at jeff garcia, mic’d up.

74. steelernationisuperiortothelowlyplebsofthenfllolol says: Apr 6, 2013 2:07 PM

William Gay will be the first.

75. marima07 says: Apr 6, 2013 2:09 PM

Mike, if you’re not a fan of Tim Tebow garnering attention for his strong Christian beliefs and the fact that he’s still a virgin – why is it okay for gay players to come out and garner the same national attention because of their sexual orientation?

It’s never advocated that everyone in the NFL has to accept vocally Christian players, but now they must accept gay players?

Why?

76. rtant2013 says: Apr 6, 2013 2:11 PM

Why are people saying theatre trying to just get attention? They haven’t even decided to do it or not, and the whole point of several coming out at once is so all that doesn’t happen. Maybe they want to actually be able to live their lives without keeping it a secret as to who they really are. But I’m betting money one of them is Gronk.

77. ripster65 says: Apr 6, 2013 2:16 PM

PFT writers are clearly tossing this stuff out for hits because they pay WAAAAYYYYYYY to much attention to the comments as opposed to just putting out a column and moving on.

78. elwaysmilehighdenver says: Apr 6, 2013 2:18 PM

Another day, another attempt by NBC Sports to push their gay agenda on sports fans across America.

79. greatestgamensports says: Apr 6, 2013 2:18 PM

And to no surprise they all play for the redskins…

80. cardsfan773 says: Apr 6, 2013 2:18 PM

Folks get over yourselves. If you dont wanna read the article, dont click on it. If you dont like people who are different then you, you MUST learn to get over it. It’s not about liberal vs conservative. Its about being fair to someone else.

81. cardsfan773 says: Apr 6, 2013 2:21 PM

Also, for those who claim God hates gays or any other stupid comments like that arw blind fools. The Bible is a BOOK OF STORIES. I am not saying dont believe in God, but we dont still think the earth is flat, or that leaches cure diseases. Times change, we as humans evolve.

82. jerryjonesmustdie83 says: Apr 6, 2013 2:27 PM

The 49ers should just do everybody a solid and all come out at the same time and fet this over with. After all don’t they represent the gayest city In the world? Harbaugh could dress up like Milk!

83. keyshawn22 says: Apr 6, 2013 2:28 PM

Can we stop with the daily stories about these bundles of sticks please?!?!?! We dont care we want to read about football not about sexuality preferences. would anyone even know who brendan ayanbadejo is if he wasnt pumping his bundle of stick agenda all over the place. enough already!

84. lovefootball4life says: Apr 6, 2013 2:29 PM

Why is this a big deal? By coming out would they want rights they currently don’t have? If there is no reason other that to state their sexual preferences then I don’t care like I don’t care what player is divorced, or cheated, or has a kid out of marriage. It’s personal not football.

85. ripster65 says: Apr 6, 2013 2:31 PM

And eliminating stories just like this one would decrease distraction even more but that also equals far fewer clicks, right?

86. seahawkfan4evr says: Apr 6, 2013 2:34 PM

I find it funny that everyone wants a straight player to come say he is straight……uh manti teo did already guys and he got a ton of press. If a player comes out its not going to be for publicity it will be so they can be an inspiration to all gay people out there. Just the same that a person who supports any cause openly is trying to do.

I for one would welcome any gay or straight player to my team as long as they dont suck…..
    just dont give me tebow for gods sake

87. ruvelligwebuike says: Apr 6, 2013 2:34 PM

Good point in the headline. Similarly, if multiple football sites turned into NBC owned liberal rags at the same time, this one wouldn’t stand out so much.

88. jerrygray721 says: Apr 6, 2013 2:38 PM

I know who they are- Chad Henne,Carson Palmer,Tom brady and the rest of the new England patriots

89. revskip says: Apr 6, 2013 2:40 PM

igglesnut says: Apr 6, 2013 12:24 PM

————————————————————-

Except that gay players are already in the locker room and aren’t going anywhere. Those locker rooms have survived having gay players in them without incident so I am pretty sure that nothing changes.

Also would like to point out that women reporters are often in the locker room while the players are in various states of undress so it isn’t like there is any issue here.

They only thing that would change is that they would be able to live their lives without having to hide who they are.

90. mancave001 says: Apr 6, 2013 2:45 PM

I’m not sure whether to dread the moment when players come out or look forward to it. On one hand, I just don’t care about the issue, just as I think probably 95% or more of people don’t care about the issue. I’m therefore dreading all the media coverage and false dilemmas and manufactured stories we’ll see in lieu of what the NFL is really about…football. On the other, once that passes we might get Florio and company to stop with this little crusade ether seem to be on. If only the same would apply to the “racist Redksins” meme.

91. indywilson40 says: Apr 6, 2013 3:00 PM

first 4 out: Chris Kluwe, Jay Cutler, Maurice Jones-Drew, Brent Celek

92. barroomhero80 says: Apr 6, 2013 3:01 PM

Rodgers and Matthews love should be acknowledged

93. stairwayto7 says: Apr 6, 2013 3:02 PM

Tebow will be one to come out.

94. greysolon says: Apr 6, 2013 3:05 PM

“but we dont still think the earth is flat”
    ——————————————

Actually, with very few exceptions no educated person in the history of Western Civilization from the third century B.C. onward believed that the earth was flat.

The “flat earth” thing was made up by a French journalist in the mid 1800′s.

95. beachsuite says: Apr 6, 2013 3:10 PM

Sorry that some see the acknowledgement for equality as “in your face and unnecessary”.

Any group who fights for equality runs the risk of disdain of others who
can not, for whatever reason empathize. African Americans when fist standing their ground were & often still seen as “Uppity Blacks”

I guess that is how it appears to someone who has not seen personal friends or family as struggling gay Americans fighting decades of cruelty, violent brutality and youth suicides.
    ….So, I just open up my heart a wee bit more to allow them the visibility and sometimes louder voice than I may be comfortable with

96. fxg0201 says: Apr 6, 2013 3:15 PM

One of the players is first name (opposite of kilometers) las name ( capital of Texas)

97. modellforprez says: Apr 6, 2013 3:16 PM

its no coincidence all players coming out are Ravens. thats 4 down and what im hearing from my source inside the locker room is that its Suggs upshaw torrey smith and believe it or not John Harbaugh. and there will be more as many as 15 in all and i for one think its wonderful these guys can come out. awesome! Go Ravens repeat repeat………

98. JSpicoli says: Apr 6, 2013 3:17 PM

Great headline

99. bhindenemylines says: Apr 6, 2013 3:32 PM

I hope no gay players ever come out. But that’s just because I don’t ever want PFT to stop posting these gay player posts. Remember when the site was just about NFL football? My god, how boring was that???

End Sarcasm Here.

100. noburghfan says: Apr 6, 2013 3:35 PM

I just can’t believe the rumor Big Ben is gay ?

101. jiminthebay says: Apr 6, 2013 3:36 PM

i hope all 4 play for the eagles .

102. whatjusthapped says: Apr 6, 2013 3:41 PM

I am not a gay basher, I think Viking fans should be left to do what it is that makes them happy. Just don’t make your happiness dependent on winning a Superbowl or you will be miserable your whole life.

103. samefamilymarriageadvocate says: Apr 6, 2013 3:44 PM

My sister and I are in love, because we have so much in common…like the same parents for instance. We were born this way.

104. deadunicorn says: Apr 6, 2013 3:45 PM

Can this topic just go away? I don’t care so much and I really find the topic gross.

105. kerryc21realty says: Apr 6, 2013 3:58 PM

Should all the other players come out and sat they are straight?

106. beastquake says: Apr 6, 2013 4:00 PM

Cool story bro. I mean even though you completely ripped it off from one of my comments you deleted but whatever.

107. noring4youstill says: Apr 6, 2013 4:02 PM

Q

108. whythecardinals says: Apr 6, 2013 4:07 PM

Good grief, I could care less about any players sexual preference…. what does it matter? are they NFL players.? what the heck does what they do off the field matter to me… so please, stop trying to make it matter to me… PS: just because you play football doesn’t legitimize anything… play the game and quit using it

109. vaphinfan says: Apr 6, 2013 4:14 PM

Go ahead and lead the way Brady

110. lakedog19352 says: Apr 6, 2013 4:14 PM

Just a thought…what happens if one or more of these guys is a center? It would make you watch the QB exchange differently, no?

111. mikel119 says: Apr 6, 2013 4:15 PM

daily gay update from msnbc.

112. vbe2 says: Apr 6, 2013 4:18 PM

I’d never buy the jersey of a gay.

113. seldom1 says: Apr 6, 2013 4:19 PM

I will support “gay” NFL players showering, dressing and rooming with non-gay players when male high school and college athletes are routinely allowed to shower, dress and room with female athletes at their schools.

You owe your readers an explanation, Florio.

114. tall4myage2013 says: Apr 6, 2013 4:24 PM

welcome to the progressive media strategy. where as media’s job in contreversial issues used to be to report each side, the media’s job now is to PICK which side is “correct”, then bash the other sides as intolerant, bigoted, out of touch, or afraid and continue the onslaught until the clueless masses follow.

Tell me media, do none of you even bother to question whether these 4 players actually exist? I mean, a known gay rights activist says they exist and contact him, and you just believe it? Any attempt at investigative journalism to find out if there is any merit to the claim? No, no, Ayanbedejo says they exist, and thats enough for the media. Now if Tebow says he’s a virgin and bounties are out for proof otherwise, but Ayanbedejo says 4 gays and its just believed.

Remember Joseph McCarthy, and his “lists of communists?” used them to stir panic and get legislation passed for years, until it was proven that these people really didn’t exist. they were a political tool to influence opinion. Remember how for years we were told that 10% of the country was gay? Until it was learned that it was actually about 3%. And yet the unproven statement that sexual “orientation” is an inborn trait is repeated in the media as if it was scietific fact. But when there is an agenda to be advanced, things like facts and reporting appear to matter very, very little.

115. fxg0201 says: Apr 6, 2013 4:28 PM

Miles Austin is gay whether you like it or not. Three to go

116. bengalskuta82 says: Apr 6, 2013 4:37 PM

Haha..its the media guys. No one else cares. The media will do their part in making this become a distraction..that’s their job and they can’t wait. This is America and in this country we move on so fast. Heck I don’t play madden 13 anymore. I’m waiting for madden 2014. Gays and lesbians are a thing of the past. Its not new anymore. Its 2013. Comon media world, really??

117. eaglesince86 says: Apr 6, 2013 4:46 PM

Tony romo, bob griffin, osi, and cruz….ur welcome

118. krazy4alice says: Apr 6, 2013 5:02 PM

Yea no it won’t because people like you Florio who continue to write gay stories every other hour. The media will hype this for YEARS…no matter if it’s one player or 100 players.

I don’t care who is gay, bi, or straight, or who wants to come out while playing or who chooses to wait until they retire. It’s their choice, let’s just move on.

I am sure all the gay players will come out of the closet when they are ready, stop making stories where there is none.

119. bencoates57 says: Apr 6, 2013 5:06 PM

All of you people using the NFL as the “No Fairy League” need to get — oh wait — I haven’t heard that often — or at all — never mind. As you were.

120. TheWizard says: Apr 6, 2013 5:07 PM

I have yet to see a reasonable explanation on how such a player could be cut without the team being accused of whateveraphobia.

By the way, it’s a choice.

121. nflgooroo says: Apr 6, 2013 5:18 PM

Please stop with your relentless push of gay’s coming out in the NFL. If you really want all things to be equal you would not and do not need to report on this. I don’t see any reports of every straight guy in the NFL so who cares how many/if any are gay. And maybe they care enough about their personal life to not have to tell the world weather they are gay or straight. Seems to me that its the media that pushes this issue most. Give me the news don’t push your opinion of gay’s, gay rights etc on me.

122. prmpft says: Apr 6, 2013 5:27 PM

man, I don’t get it – some people’s name tags are worse than my comment – do we have a limit or something?

123. ampats says: Apr 6, 2013 5:46 PM

Based off his GQ spread,I would have said Mark Sanchez. But it has been publicized in the NY papers , he likes high school girls.

124. numberoneinthehoodg says: Apr 6, 2013 5:59 PM

When these four “come out of the closet”? How do they prove they are gay? Anyone can claim to be gay but what actual evidence will need to be provided? Honestly, I don’t want to know, but at some point, this question will be raised. (in the media)

125. ty49er4life says: Apr 6, 2013 6:00 PM

I believe they deserve to be who they are. It would make it easier if Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, marshawn lynch, and kam chancellor just got it over with HELL they can even do it at the same time as same gay coach with Pete Carroll (GO NINERS). But to be serious I imagineonce their teammates accept it and get used to it is something that cam galvanize a team bring em closer and the gay player may play better with the weight off their shoulders

126. dragonfly99 says: Apr 6, 2013 6:13 PM

Why don’t Kluwe and Ayenbedejo come out together and we can end this nonsense.

127. beachsuite says: Apr 6, 2013 6:16 PM

I think it’s being reported because the demographic is quickly changing. Many Christians today along with limited Government Conservatives support marriage equality;
    For the long-term success of any organization today, it must be able to reach gay and lesbian Americans and the millions of Americans who are related to and respect them.

128. georgiavol91 says: Apr 6, 2013 7:00 PM

Many Christians? Are these “Christians” the ones who read their bible and fear the wrath of God? I think not.

I will not judge, and so I will tolerate this gay nonsense without comment except to point out when asked that sin without remorse is the fast road to Hell. Just don’t ask me to accept it. BIG difference.

129. samefamilymarriageadvocate says: Apr 6, 2013 7:10 PM

My 2 daddies can beat up your daddy. Or at least your mommy.

130. trapshoot says: Apr 6, 2013 7:20 PM

What is accomplished be a ‘coming out’?

131. Deb says: Apr 6, 2013 9:09 PM

Rather than making Big Announcements, why can’t gay kids living uncloseted lives get recruited from high school to college, have normal open lives, sit in New York with their partners instead of their girlfriends on draft night, get signed to an NFL team, then have press conferences that focus on their rookie contracts rather than their sexual orientation? Why can’t these things just happen naturally without being turned into a sideshow?

132. rc33 says: Apr 11, 2013 11:16 AM

The reason these guys will never come out, either individually or in unison, is because they don’t exist. They’ll come forward right about the same time Harry Reid’s “friend” that claimed Romney hadn’t pay taxes for 10 years comes forward. Problem being none of the above even exist.
    A completely manufactured narrative that wouldn’t be an issue were it not for all the current gay marriage talk and pending legislation.
    If you haven’t figured it out yet, the media has complete disdain for each and every one of us.