Hargrove joins concussion lawsuit

Anthony Hargrove AP

At a time when many assumed free-agent defensive end Anthony Hargrove would sue the NFL for allegedly false statements made about him in the context of last year’s bounty brouhaha, Hargrove has indeed filed suit.  But not for that.

Hargrove has joined the latest concussion lawsuit, filed Friday in Manhattan federal court.

The cookie-cutter complaint, a copy of which PFT has obtained, alleges that Hargrove “has suffered and continues to suffer from permanent injuries including, but not limited to, severe headaches, memory loss, depression, isolation, mental anguish and diminished self-esteem.”

Those are basically the same injuries that Redskins quarterback Pat White alleged in his concussion claim — until he pulled the plug on the lawsuit once he got an offer from an NFL team after three years out of the game.  Chances are that Hargrove, who played for the Rams, Bills, Saints, and Seahawks, would do the same thing, if someone were to offer him a job.

Of course, the chances of Hargrove being offered a job already were low, given his role in the bounty scandal.  In light of the new sensitivity to the issue of free agents who have sued the NFL for concussions, Hargrove’s path back to the league likely has gotten a little steeper.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Hargrove joins concussion lawsuit”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 8, 2013 11:25 AM

If it’s of any use in Anthony’s complaint, I will vouch for the fact that he has lost my esteem, that I regard him as a headache, would shout insults at him if I saw him in public, but avoid him at all costs, and wish he would just go away so I could forget about him. Does that cover it?

2. tmhofficial says: Apr 8, 2013 11:30 AM

I fall on the players’ side on most issues in regards to the NFL. But with this concussion suit, they’re off the mark and it’s a clear money grab. They knew the risks, they are just broke now and want that paper.

3. mack2x says: Apr 8, 2013 11:39 AM

I agree. Most of these guys wouldn’t have done it any different if they knew then, what they know now, about concussions. Just looking to get paid.

4. macaracoon says: Apr 8, 2013 11:39 AM

Why don’t they just have rookies sign a sheet saying “I understand that though I may become a celebrity and get paid millions of dollars, there’s another side to the coin and I might get hurt in the process of getting rich, and that’s not the NFL’s fault.”

Don’t even high school kids have to sign things saying they won”t sue for injuries? Surprised the NFL never thought of that.

5. FinFan68 says: Apr 8, 2013 11:45 AM

And another one joins the club of shameless liars and disgraceful money-grabbing con artists.

6. hrmlss says: Apr 8, 2013 11:47 AM

When is Jerry Jones joining the lawsuit? THAT would explain a lot!

7. kh221 says: Apr 8, 2013 11:50 AM

Yet if he were offered 5 million this year to play, he would do it in a second even knowing the risks. Can’t have it both ways.

8. m3dman3 says: Apr 8, 2013 11:54 AM

These morons get no sympathy from me. You played football for a living, football! Now you want to sue because your head hurts? Give me a break. I hope these players lose money in this lawsuit.

9. thejohnsmith1122 says: Apr 8, 2013 12:00 PM

I’m not sure if any team was going to sign him anyways but if I was a NFL exec, I would convince a team to sign him just to show how BS this law suit is.

10. sb44champs says: Apr 8, 2013 12:03 PM

Hargrove got royally screwed by the league with false ‘factual’ evidence and now he is just trying to recoup what GODell and the NFL unjustly deprived him of and it so happens to be what the NFL IS ALL ABOUT….$$$MONEY!!!

11. pigskinrube says: Apr 8, 2013 12:19 PM

As a Vikings fan, I will pay someone to shut this guy up.

Clear money grab attempt, unless of course, some team signs him.

12. gregerss says: Apr 8, 2013 12:24 PM

How ironic. Kill the head??

13. losntina69 says: Apr 8, 2013 12:25 PM

Yes let’s sue the NFL since no one wants to sign him, but as soon as a team comes calling he will all of sudden feel better not sue anymore. These players are a joke, maybe if you didnt major in Balloon Making while you were in college then you would not have these issues now.

14. thegonz13 says: Apr 8, 2013 12:33 PM

This bozo would drop his lawsuit in a country minute if someone offered him a contract…

15. judsonjr says: Apr 8, 2013 12:37 PM

sb44champs says: Apr 8, 2013 12:03 PM

————————————————————

While I think he was falsely accused, he’s out of the league because he can’t play. I mean the Packers cut him last year, and they now have Johnny Jolly under contract and he hasn’t played in 3 seasons.

16. overweightman says: Apr 8, 2013 12:52 PM

While they’re at it, why don’t all these idiots sue the NCAA, high schools, middle schools, and peewee leagues. Ridiculous. You’d think someone held a gun to these guys’ heads and told them to play.

17. uncletuna says: Apr 8, 2013 1:23 PM

Pat White suddenly dropped his case upon receiving an opportunity to rejoin the league?!?

This is all Bullshinski!

18. onbucky96 says: Apr 8, 2013 1:47 PM

Whatever. I guess there’s no mistaking what he’s sayin this time. “Give me my money!”

19. CKL says: Apr 8, 2013 1:48 PM

So this dude had a drug problem, took full advantage of their programs to stop I am guessing was allowed back into the NFL now he’s suing them? Nice. Don’t drugs damage the brain also? Yeah, but you can’t sue your supplier.

20. thundersandpackers says: Apr 8, 2013 1:54 PM

THIS IS LIKE SAYING A COP IS SUEING BECAUSE HE GOT SHOT OR A MAILMAN SUEING BECAUSE A DOG BIT HIM. YOU MADE MILLIONS SO JUST SHUT UP. THIS IS NOT DANCE. NO WONDER PACKERS LET HIM GO. HE WAS GOING TO SUE THEM FOR NOT EATING ENOUGH.

21. jack3dsd says: Apr 8, 2013 2:01 PM

every human person experiences those symptoms

22. mayerobeyer says: Apr 8, 2013 5:46 PM

…and what exactly was his role in bountygate? Being the only guy that actually told the truth? Quit trying to paint this guy as something he isnt. Guy deserves another shot at the league…especially since the league was the one that did him dirty.

23. 69finfan says: Apr 8, 2013 9:23 PM

Ok Mike, let’s try this. Less than desirable human being. Better?

24. johnclaytonsponytail says: Apr 8, 2013 10:08 PM

I hope the League loses this lawsuit and has to pay billions. Serves them right for screwing the Saints and basically ruining the game that I love. Football will never be the same.

25. crownofthehelmet says: Apr 9, 2013 1:01 AM

I just read the list of symptoms, and I either have or could say I’ve had every one of them. And I haven’t played full contact football since the 9th grade. This lawsuit is nonsense.