Griffin sets record for jersey sales

Griffin Getty Images

While it remains to be seen whether Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III sets a record for rehabbing his torn ACL (we’ve never seen that category in the Guinness book), he has set a different kind of record during his first season in the NFL.

Via Rich Tandler of CSNWashington.com, the NFL sold more RGIII jerseys during the past fiscal year than any other jersey in any other year.

Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning came in second for the year, with the third-highest sales for any fiscal year.  The rest of the top five for the fiscal year were Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, and Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

For team sales, the 49ers won the crown.  They’d still have rather won the Super Bowl.

Griffin’s popularity underscores the importance for the Redskins and the league of keeping him healthy for as long as possible.  The game is driven by quarterbacks and the numbers ultimately are driven by star quarterbacks.  Griffin already is one of the biggest stars in the game, but that will change quickly if he can’t play.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
63 Responses to “Griffin sets record for jersey sales”
  1. ozymandias121 says: Apr 9, 2013 11:19 AM

He also set record sales in knee braces.

2. floratiotime says: Apr 9, 2013 11:21 AM

It’s easy to figure out. After a year or two … when he suffers another knee injury … these jerseys will become collector items.

3. ozymandias121 says: Apr 9, 2013 11:22 AM

Also that last paragraph looks like logicalvoicesays wrote it.

4. logicalvoicesays says: Apr 9, 2013 11:23 AM

Just another day for the best QB in professional Football. #Superhuman

5. dawksclaws says: Apr 9, 2013 11:23 AM

Such an awesome QB, gotta wonder how Shanny still has a job after potentially ruining his career though.

6. seahawksteven777 says: Apr 9, 2013 11:24 AM

Kaepernick only played half a year and he’s already one of the top selling jerseys? He might be good but he’s a little overrated to be honest.

What I mean by that is people are calling him “elite” and he’s only played a half a season and he did struggle at times reading the field against good defenses, see the Seattle game.

Not trying to knock him. I just don’t think he deserves all the hype honestly.

7. whatnojets says: Apr 9, 2013 11:24 AM

Wonder how many “Mark Sanchez” jersey were sold the past fiscal year?

8. jimmyt says: Apr 9, 2013 11:27 AM

Well sure, the way Shanahan coaches it will be a collectors item in a year or two when RGIII is out of football.

9. jaysay3178 says: Apr 9, 2013 11:27 AM

RG3 Has peaked as an NFL QB

10. firestarter0728 says: Apr 9, 2013 11:30 AM

Congratulations, good for him. This year he’ll go one step further and set a new record for the most jerseys sold by a quarterback on a 5-11 football team.

11. ravenator says: Apr 9, 2013 11:46 AM

Come back and talk to me when he wins Superbowl MVP – better yet – try winning at least one playoff game. Cheers! HTTR! Hail to the Ravens!

12. doomsdaydefensetx says: Apr 9, 2013 11:49 AM

Well according to James Andrews that’s typical for a “superhuman”

13. harrin42 says: Apr 9, 2013 11:51 AM

Well, what other jersey would you buy if you’re a redskins fan? And it doesn’t hurt that it’s made by Nike instead of Reebok, and they had his and Luck’s jersey in every champs and foot locker across the US.

14. loserooneyrule says: Apr 9, 2013 11:57 AM

That’s funny I’ve been trying to sell my autographed RGIII jersey with no such luck

15. sinatra00 says: Apr 9, 2013 11:58 AM

he’s just a skinny ja’marcus russell. he will be a back up in 2 years.

16. alphaq2 says: Apr 9, 2013 11:58 AM

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. “It will be a collectors item in a year or two”…”RG3 has peaked as an NFL QB”…”When he suffers another knee injury”…typical RG3 comments…Blah, Blah, Blah

17. jbl429 says: Apr 9, 2013 11:59 AM

That’s a lot of jersey sales for a QB who’s done almost nothing in the NFL.

18. gonavybeatarmy says: Apr 9, 2013 12:00 PM

And Griffin will not legally be able to rent a car until 2015 season.

God, that’s gotta hurt.

19. loveorhatethejets says: Apr 9, 2013 12:00 PM

mv3? (micheal vick the thrid). rg3 will be caught doing cat fights. lol
    that or bum his knee out again, jk i hope he can stay healty this guy can be a serious threat thing is hes a rookie and once defenses start to catch on he will look like vick (remeber the first year the dream team was assembled vick played like a monster but what happened after that) people c

20. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 9, 2013 12:00 PM

They’ll be collector’s items in a few years.

21. loveorhatethejets says: Apr 9, 2013 12:01 PM

caught on but i really do wish rg3 a great carrer we need more greats in the league!

22. j0esixpack says: Apr 9, 2013 12:04 PM

There hasn’t been this much excitement among Redskins fans since they signed Albert Haynesworth!

23. rg3baby says: Apr 9, 2013 12:05 PM

If by peaked you mean that he redefined the quarterback position in his 1st year, then yes, I agree with you.

24. kane337 says: Apr 9, 2013 12:09 PM

Redskins haven’t had a QB in decades. Their fans finally have a reason to buy a QB jersey. Hence, the sales.

25. greatestgamensports says: Apr 9, 2013 12:14 PM

He also set record for knee replacements! Dude will never be the same period don’t care what any of u delusional fans think!

26. sinatra00 says: Apr 9, 2013 12:16 PM

You mean to tell me that the rg-knee jersey out sold jay schroeder and mark rypien?

27. cuda1234 says: Apr 9, 2013 12:17 PM

But I keep reading that Tim Tebow is the best person and player in the history of football. Why isn’t his jersey #1? Could it be that the media was WRONG?

28. seaeagle707 says: Apr 9, 2013 12:19 PM

Proof positive them folks in D.C., are overpaid and have too much disposable income. Also proof that the media hype machine does influence people.

Hope you make a full recovery RGIII, and that YOU will be able to wear those jerseys again.

29. Iknoweverything says: Apr 9, 2013 12:20 PM

His number will be changed to. 1 and done. Amazing how many people will throw their money away on a overhyped, overrated fraud. Oh well, in 3 yrars when FraudIII is out of the league, thr fools an buy the jersey of the REAL DEAL …. Mr. Russell Wilson

30. peytonsneck18 says: Apr 9, 2013 12:21 PM

IRG3 will set the record for the most wheelchairs used during the offseason

31. therealsmiley says: Apr 9, 2013 12:49 PM

Ladies & Gentlman…your Rookie of the Year. Hail!

32. whitdog23 says: Apr 9, 2013 12:56 PM

everybody likes RG because of that mop hanging off his head during Subway commercials. cracks me up every time

33. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© says: Apr 9, 2013 1:03 PM

Haters gonna hate.
    ~

34. edisbetterthantroy says: Apr 9, 2013 1:14 PM

More likely to return and play at his previous level?

Robert Griffin III or Kevin Ware (L’ville)????

35. tennesseeoilers says: Apr 9, 2013 1:20 PM

How much do you wanna bet that RGIII sold more of his jerseys in Texas last year than Tony Romo did?

36. steelerben says: Apr 9, 2013 1:20 PM

It is incredible to see how everyone comes out to speak so poorly of a kid that plays football well, has a competitive drive, and is by all accounts an all around nice guy.

I’m thinking the main thing not to like about RG3 is him not being on your team. Well, that and logicalvoicesays.

Just for a second, ignore his jersey and watch the kid play. He’s super exciting.

37. yevrag3535 says: Apr 9, 2013 1:23 PM

Sucker born every day.

38. asublimeday says: Apr 9, 2013 1:30 PM

Fair weather redskins fans jumping back on the bandwagon

39. greymares says: Apr 9, 2013 1:41 PM

in another year we will find him in Mayberry as Andy’s adopted son.

40. parenthesis78 says: Apr 9, 2013 1:43 PM

some of you guys are hilarious .. I’ve never seen more hate for one player .. I know logicalvoice says some really crazy things .. and me as a redskins fan I just laugh at some of them .. but honestly .. why wish the downfall of one player so much .. you want him out of the league .. u want him hurt .. that says more about you .. than about him .. I hate the cowboys naturally .. but I would never wish tony romo’s career would end and be injured .. and hoping he fails .. I hope we spank the cowboys .. and he romo throws 5 interception .. as well as any team we face .. but some of you are ridiculous with the hate .. let the man play .. and leave it alone …
    saying your team will destroy the skins is perfectly fine .. but wishing career ending injuries makes you no different than greg williams ..
    secrest out ..

41. allidoiswin55 says: Apr 9, 2013 1:49 PM

49ers were known for years as one of the least loyal fan bases that had national popularity because of former dynasties.

NOT SURPRISED they jumped back on the wagon after finally winning again, considering their known national reputation, same as Patriots, Dolphins and Buff all have same rep.

42. szwhtsup123 says: Apr 9, 2013 1:58 PM

What is it about Washington that motivates its residents to urinate money away like it grows on trees? At least the Skins fans only waste their own money…..

43. phillyphannn83 says: Apr 9, 2013 2:11 PM

This is incredibly easy to figure out. The deadskins have been terrible for so long that they’ve consistently ranked among the worst teams in terms of jersey sales. Therefore, its logical to say that most fans haven’t bought a jersey in a decade or more. That leaves many more fans to buy a jersey than there is amongst other teams’ fanbases. Most people do not buy a jersey every year so if you have a recent one, you’re not getting one just because your team is suddenly good. Personally, I retire my jerseys when that player is no longer an Eagle(except for my throwbacks). I, like all other NON-BANDWAGON fans around the league, do not base my jersey purchases on my teams success. Wash has one semi-decent season(great according to their standards) and everyone rushes to but a jersey and finally have the b*lls to support their team in public.

44. theclaim says: Apr 9, 2013 2:33 PM

ravenator says:
    Apr 9, 2013 11:46 AM

Though it might be prudent to point out that he was injured vs the Ravens, a game the Redskins WON. With Kirks Cousin at the helm! How many years did it take Flacco( laugh every time I read or hear that name) to win ANYTHING? Baltimore Browns, Lol your entire team was dispersed throughout the league… See ya next season! HTTR

45. theclaim says: Apr 9, 2013 2:35 PM

Isn’t Flacco Bozo’s illegitimate son?

46. pop562 says: Apr 9, 2013 2:38 PM

@allidoiswin55, you must have a lot of experience with being a bandwagon since your calling 49er fans the most bandwagon dans out there. Little do you know is once a 49ers faithful, they will ALWAYS stay faithful.

47. theclaim says: Apr 9, 2013 2:47 PM

phillyphannn83 says:
    Apr 9, 2013 2:11 PM

You should try searching for facts in BOOKS. They are hidden in there like cracker jacks surprises. Thr Redskins have been one of the NFLs LEADING sources of revenue since… Well forever. The Eagles on the other hand, not so much. You guys need to quit wasting cash on batteries to throw at Santa. Guarantee I own more jerseys than you ever WILL. In fact I have a NUMBER of jerseys that have Superbowl Champion patches on them…OHHHHHH that’s right you don’t HAVE any Super Bowls. Bummer. At least you can rest on your latest championship, 1960. With the flying Dutchman at the helm.

48. juliusanonymous says: Apr 9, 2013 3:18 PM

Well, I think it’s obvious to everyone that out of all 3 of the Redskins quarterbacks to lose in the playoffs to the Seahawks over the last decade, Robert Griffin III is the best of them all.

He should be able to make it back to the playoffs and promptly lose again, at least a few more times. If he can keep that knee healthy, that is.

49. edisbetterthantroy says: Apr 9, 2013 3:36 PM

@theclaim says:

“How many years did it take Flacco( laugh every time I read or hear that name) to win ANYTHING?”

Well through his first five years, he has 63 wins (most in Super Bowl era), 9 playoff wins (Tom Brady – 9 in first 5 years), Most playoff road wins in history, a Super Bowl MVP capping arguably the greatest payoff run by a QB in history.

I just wish he didn’t take so long to develop!!!! Call me a homer, but I call those facts…

50. rtant2013 says: Apr 9, 2013 4:16 PM

A bunch of haters on here, we know you all wish you had the ROTY, the most accurate rookie qb in history, and one of the most exciting players to come into the NFL. Not only do people like him because of what he does on the football field but everything he does off it too. Think there’s a connection between that and the Redskins having the highest rated primetime games? People need to just stop hating on the dude, obviously more like him then those who don’t. For those haters, get ready for RG3 and his offense to slaughter your favorite teams defense. Nobody could stop this offense last season, and nobody is going to be able to stop it this upcoming season. Just getting you guys prepared so you can start crying now.

51. jwreck says: Apr 9, 2013 4:43 PM

ozymandias121 says: Apr 9, 2013 11:22 AM

Also that last paragraph looks like logicalvoicesays wrote it.
    (MF: “Griffin already is one of the biggest stars in the game, but that will change quickly if he can’t play.”)
    __________
    He’s using the word star in the sense of popularity. I strongly dislike Jonah Hill and the movies he is in, but it doesn’t change the fact that he is a star. Whatever your opinion on Griffin, his health, or his future success, it’s impossible to deny he is one of the most popular players in the league, which is exactly what this article is about.

52. boyshole25 says: Apr 9, 2013 5:21 PM

Wahhhh everyone hate on rg3 for no reason wahhhhh buncha crybaby jealous punks

53. theclaim says: Apr 9, 2013 5:35 PM

edisbetterthantroy says:
    Apr 9, 2013 3:36 PM
    @theclaim says:

Agreed these ARE facts(including that my Skins bounced your Ravens w Kirk) but the point was missed. Took him 5 years to win the SB. RGIII already tossed Cams rushing record in fewer games has the highest completion percentage for a rook in NFL HISTORY best TD TO INT RATIO for a rook in NFL HISTORY. All said in direct response to Ravenators claim of “talk to me when”. Point is/was RGIII can still blow Flaccos numbers out of the water. Time WILL tell. My $ says he gets his SB MVP before his 6th season.

54. juliusanonymous says: Apr 9, 2013 5:36 PM

rtant2013 says:
    Apr 9, 2013 4:16 PM
    ———————

Yeah, I sure wish my Seahawks had a QB who won a popularity contest and had the best accuracy rating.

That would totally be better than watching my TEAM win a playoff game.

Every Seahawk fan in Seattle was grimacing when Griffin went down, I guarantee you. It was horrifying, and you never wish that on anyone.

But let’s be honest. Do you really believe that ANY Seahawks fan is jealous of the Redskins? You can make excuses for RGIII all day long, but the simple fact is that he was injured when it counted and your Redskins got stomped by the Seahawks, again. I’ll take my non-ROY less-accurate and HEALTHY Russell Wilson every day of the week. The kid just wins games, and that’s all that counts. And you know that as well as we do.

55. theclaim says: Apr 9, 2013 5:37 PM

Edisatexan

56. skinsfan91 says: Apr 9, 2013 5:42 PM

Screw RGIII. He’s too good. It’s not fair. I know, I’ll just dis him relentlessly to let out my anger. “RGKNEE LOL, out of the league in two years. He sucks.” Phew, that felt good.

THE MIND OF THE HATER.

57. theclaim says: Apr 9, 2013 5:49 PM

juliusanonymous says:
    Apr 9, 2013 5:36 PM
    rtant2013 says:
    Apr 9, 2013 4:16 PM
    ———————

That would totally be better than watching my TEAM win a playoff game.

14-0 SKINS at the end of the 1st quarter and marching over your defense roughshod. BEFORE he re-injured it. Just like Golden “Top Pot” Tate caught a game winner vs the Pack? THE win that PUT you into the playoffs? Yeah Seahawks fans show their vast knowledge of the game often. I’ve been a Redskins fan longer than the Seahawks have BEEN.

58. skinsfan91 says: Apr 9, 2013 5:50 PM

Seahawks fans, if RGIII didn’t get hurt, the route would have continued. 14-0 with no signs of slowing down. Then our boy goes down an it changed the whole game. I’m not saying Seahawks fans are jealous but some fans are. Like the ones who relentlessly dis him and are happy he’s hurt. We’ll be back, and let’s see how the hawks do against a healthy RGIII. Your own players said the game would have been different if RGIII was healthy. So quit saying they beat RGIII down and beat the Redskins down. You guys barely won in the 4th quarter against a team with a gimpy QB.

59. edisbetterthantroy says: Apr 9, 2013 6:25 PM

@theclaim:

If you ask me, I’d rather win the last game (Super Bowl) than a regular season game. That same game, Haloti Ngata made the most defining play of the Redskins season by blowing up Griffin III. The kid is a serious talent and I would never deny that. He’s exciting to watch and isn’t the prototypical “running QB”.

But the Skins have a lot of work to do and I believe they, like my beloved O’s, are cursed because of the man signing the checks. Like Peter Angelos, Dan Snyder is a terrible owner and just carries a sense of bad karma.

Ravenator = logicalvoicesays…They don’t speak for the masses, but it’s hard not to let them fire us up at times. But don’t go saying “Flacco hasn’t won ANYTHING…” or talk about how long it took. His record (quite frankly records) from the beginning is/are the only defense I need to prove otherwise.

Thanks for the update about Ed changing his address. Hadn’t heard?

60. juliusanonymous says: Apr 9, 2013 6:44 PM

Same old BS from every Redskins fan. Yeah yeah, you were up 14-0 after the first two drives. Guess what? The game isn’t won or lost in the first quarter, pal. Plenty of teams were up by more than 2 TDs on the Seahawks last season and lost. And there was no “route” on, the Redskins were sputtering and having trouble moving the ball against a Seahawks defense that tightened up, shutdown your RB and started getting pressure on Griffin.

And finally, you can make excuses all day long but it doesn’t change the final score. It is what it is. Excuses don’t actually win playoff games. Ifs and coulda-beens are worthless. The game was played. Your superstar QB was suffering from an injury he brought on himself against the Ravens, by trying to run through a tackle instead of sliding.

There’s a reason Wilson was healthy. And health is a skill. Wilson gets out of bounds or he slides. He doesn’t try to be a glory boy and put his whole team in jeopardy.

Like I said, it’s a team game. And the Seahawks, as a team, were able to overcome a 2-TD deficit in the first quarter and easily stomp your Redskins once again. And you know just as well as I do that if you had the chance, you would give anything to swap outcomes. But that’s all Redskin fans have ever had – excuses. When we stomped you in the playoffs back in the mid-2000′s it was because the team was devastated by the Sean Taylor murder. Seems like your team always has an excuse for losing to the Seahawks in the playoffs. Well, you’ve had a lot of practice, so you’re bound to be pretty good at coming up with those excuses.

So yeah, you can have the excuses and the popular QB. I’ll take the playoff-contending TEAM.

61. ninespot says: Apr 9, 2013 8:03 PM

I’ll keep it a lot shorter… it’s easy to brush aside the fact you beat the skins in the playoffs mainly because it never amounted to actually, you know, WINNING a SB. RG3 has more talent hands down than Wilson. He’s a smart kid and knows he can’t take another injury. Good showdowns are in the near future and we’ll let them do the talking on the field.

HTTR!!

62. skinsfan91 says: Apr 9, 2013 10:46 PM

RGIII got hurt against the Ravens because we were down in the 4th by like 5 points and he was going all out for a first down. Sorry Ngata’ s fat ass hit him a half second before he went down. The Hawks won fair and square an are a good team, but don’t act like it was a beat down or wouldn’t have been different with a healthy RGIII. Staying healthy is a skill and one that RGIII has. The fluke of injuries that happened in his freshman year will not happen again. Saying the Hawks beat the Skins down is like saying the Falcons beat you guys down, which was what was happening before the Falcons went soft in the second half.

63. lakermetskins says: Apr 13, 2013 8:55 PM

People who polarize America…..Obama, RG3, Tebow….All groundbreaking in their own right, but some people hate.