Manti Te’o visits the Dolphins

File photograph of Notre Dame linebacker Te'o speaking during media day for 2013 BCS National Championship NCAA football game in Miami Reuters

The Dolphins are bringing former Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o to Miami for a pre-draft visit.

Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post reports that Te’o is currently en route to South Florida and will be one of the Dolphins’ 30 official visits with college players.

It seems highly unlikely that the Dolphins would use the No. 12 overall pick in the draft on Te’o: He’s not expected to go that high, and if a team were to reach for Te’o in the first half of the first round, it wouldn’t be the Dolphins, who have already spent big money on linebackers in free agency, acquiring Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler.

But Miami at least wants to take a look at Te’o, and they’ll get that look this week.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Manti Te’o visits the Dolphins”
  1. helixir1 says: Apr 10, 2013 4:38 PM

noooo… I hope they are not thinking about trading back for this guy.

2. officialgame says: Apr 10, 2013 4:39 PM

This guy is a mid 2nd round pick at best.

3. mychode says: Apr 10, 2013 4:39 PM

Maybe Ireland will ask him if his fake dead girlfriend was a prostitute.

4. 509seahawks says: Apr 10, 2013 4:40 PM

I see Te’o being a viking. Girls like wearing purple.

5. mossnomore says: Apr 10, 2013 4:40 PM

I’m gonna be blunt. Was your girlfriend a prostitute?

6. rhamrhoddy says: Apr 10, 2013 4:41 PM

It would be a step in the right direction for him to go to a city where so many of the ladies are only partially fake.

Hi-Yoooo!

7. spideysdog says: Apr 10, 2013 4:43 PM

TMZ paparazzi are currently scattering up and down South Beach in hopes of catching the first bikini shots of his girlfriend.

8. Dan Ewen says: Apr 10, 2013 4:43 PM

Ah yeah. Te’o in South Beach. Does Lauren Tannehill have a fake sister?

9. kc4life7 says: Apr 10, 2013 4:45 PM

I think he’d be too flustered with all the banana hammocks down there in South Beach.

10. 69finfan says: Apr 10, 2013 4:46 PM

My heart just stopped for a second. I certainly hope this is just a smokescreen.

11. MyTeamsAllStink says: Apr 10, 2013 4:52 PM

He’ll have a FABULOUS time in South Beach

12. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Apr 10, 2013 4:54 PM

Te’O was heard saying he thinks the new logo is “spectacular”.

13. iamthorny says: Apr 10, 2013 4:58 PM

Well, if he’s “en route” we know one thing about him…he’s punctual…because there’s no way, with his speed, he could’ve run fast enough to catch the plane if he wasn’t.

14. squared80 says: Apr 10, 2013 5:10 PM

He’ll go to the Vikings if Ogletree and Brown are gone.

15. davekezer says: Apr 10, 2013 5:14 PM

I feel bad for the guy a little bit, but he just kind of comes off as a weirdo. Any team that drafts him gets an immediate media headache.

16. Helper Sports says: Apr 10, 2013 5:15 PM

All that will matter in a year or two is can this kid play football.

17. southpaw77 says: Apr 10, 2013 5:18 PM

Good fit, imaginary girlfriend can sit in the stands with the imaginary fans dressed as empty seats.

18. 202folife says: Apr 10, 2013 5:21 PM

Why not? He should be there when we use our 4th round pick!

19. heyguru1969 says: Apr 10, 2013 5:23 PM

Don’t get excited folks – it’s not what you think. He was just on a trip to SeaWorld, so he also visited (Sea) Lions and whales (JaMarcus Russell)

20. reed20fence says: Apr 10, 2013 5:31 PM

Makes sense. The Ravens have effectively shut the door on drafting a MLB with their 1st pick.

21. pilot2011 says: Apr 10, 2013 5:31 PM

that would be thooper dooper to play in Miami!

22. ss376 says: Apr 10, 2013 5:40 PM

Seems like a wasted visit since Miami is set at LB.

Is he worth a 1st round pick? No.

If he’s there in the 2nd round (and I think he will be), would I take him? Yeah, I could justify that. I think he can be productive and that’s what you hope for from a 2nd rounder. He’s not Patrick Willis but I don’t think he’s Aaron Curry either.

23. kw27p says: Apr 10, 2013 5:45 PM

The NFL dolphins or the ones at sea world?

24. indytom87 says: Apr 10, 2013 6:18 PM

Did he really visit the Dolphins..or did he just think he did?

25. grimmlock42 says: Apr 10, 2013 6:32 PM

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the John Madden video games. After winning all my superbowls (just like everybody else here) and heading into the off-season menu, it’s kinda cool how I can scout and draft the guys I want on my team. Unfortunately for Manti Te’o, if I had to rate him on the Madden scale, Te’o would be a modest 74. Not bad, but not great either. I had him at 85 before imaginary women and Alabama exposed him.

26. bigdingyguy says: Apr 10, 2013 7:18 PM

As a Dolphins fan, if he’s on the board in the second I wouldn’t mind snatching him up. First round? Forget it.

27. phinfan says: Apr 10, 2013 8:29 PM

Oh… to be a fly on that wall in Irelands office.

28. lostsok says: Apr 10, 2013 8:42 PM

This is clearly due diligence in case he’s there at #42.

29. brintfatre says: Apr 10, 2013 9:03 PM

The other teams should stand aside and let him go to the Jets where he belongs.

30. bullpuppy552 says: Apr 10, 2013 9:09 PM

Teo was destroyed by Alabama in the bowl game. He was completely non existant. What is he going to do in the NFL?!

31. jayquintana says: Apr 10, 2013 9:43 PM

What’s the issue here? It’s not like the Dolphins are trading for the Chief’s number 1 pick and signing Te’o to a guaranteed contract before the draft.

32. jeanmia says: Apr 10, 2013 9:59 PM

if we stay at 12 we will most likely draft kiki mingo or ziggi ansah

33. i10east says: Apr 10, 2013 10:52 PM

South Beach girls have a reputation for being fake, so his visit should go well.

34. rushmatic says: Apr 10, 2013 10:53 PM

Phinfan approves.

35. swaggyy says: Apr 11, 2013 1:14 AM

everybody out there thinks he will not be good in the NFL because he had an imaginary girlfriend and 1 bad game against the best team in college football. Which his whole team was terrible. Can’t put the blame all on him. Not really sure how that hoax translates to playing football. Who cares. Get over it people. I don’t even like this guy but I’m so sick of people making gay jokes an saying he will be bad. Just because he talked to some fake person on the internet means he’s gay and will suck at football? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. Then everybody comments on the the gay ayanbadejo articles saying “who cares if their gay?” and “as long as he can play football.” Last time I checked, teo was a pretty damn good football player. I bet 5 years from now he’s married with a kid and a successful linebacker and this will all look like non-sense. Which it already is. Be mature human beings christs sake. No wonder we are in trouble as a country. Got a bunch of insecure retarded folks living and running it.