Bell makes his case for being the first tailback taken

weissweb4s-1-web Getty Images

Every highly-rated player in the draft understandably sees himself as the best incoming at the position he plays.

Former Michigan State running back Le’Veon Bell is no different.

“I feel like I’m the most balanced because I bring so much to the team,” Bell told FOX Sports Daybreak.   “I can play in the game on first and 10, I can play in the game on third and 10, I can play in the game on third and one.”

If the right team agrees, Bell could be the first tailback taken — especially with Marcus Lattimore recovering from a serious knee injury and Eddie Lacy struggling to overcome a hamstring problem.

Bell said the Cowboys, Steelers, Broncos, Colts, and Chargers have shown the most interest.

The question remains, when it comes to running back, whether any of them should be taken higher than the bottom of round one.  This year, there’s a chance none of the running backs will hear their names called on the first night of the draft.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Home, Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
23 Responses to “Bell makes his case for being the first tailback taken”
  1. japmen says: Apr 11, 2013 9:16 AM

Lacy having problems with his hamstring now that he’s not running behind a pro offensive line in college.

2. whysomanylosers says: Apr 11, 2013 9:28 AM

He is right, this kid is complete.

3. shackdelrio says: Apr 11, 2013 9:42 AM

It’s a bit of a stretch to label him as “highly-rated”. And based on recent history (Shonn Greene, Javon Ringer, Rashard Mendenhall, Beanie Wells, Mikel Leshoure), I am not sure I would be beating down the door to draft a Big Ten back anyway.

4. explosionsauce says: Apr 11, 2013 9:44 AM

Le’Veon likes his money. He makes a lot they say.

5. anactualnflowner says: Apr 11, 2013 9:49 AM

So Adrian Peterson returns from an ACL injury in less than a year and dominates… and we’re worried about Eddie Lacy’s hamstring?

6. stillers1229 says: Apr 11, 2013 9:59 AM

I want him on the Steelers.

7. darthsaint says: Apr 11, 2013 10:04 AM

Lacy is a strong RB. But I agree with the points made at times. When you are big and strong, and your offensive line is many times night and day more talented that the d-line/LBs you are facing. That o-line creates large holes. Any decent RB running downhill, is going to do well. Not saying he isn’t talented. But Bell has good points and I’m sure many NFL scouts see it similarly.

8. steel2372 says: Apr 11, 2013 10:16 AM

Bell would be an excellent pick up for the Steelers in the Second round. He brings everything we are looking for in a back. If we are going to focus on the running game we are going to need a big back with some speed like bell

9. nodindenver says: Apr 11, 2013 10:22 AM

The questions are can you blast a blittzer/keep the sheriff clean and can you catch the ball as an outlet? If so, Denver is your new home young man; welcome to the Mile High City!

10. sanfranfanyouknowit says: Apr 11, 2013 10:40 AM

This guy is going to be good in this league. Big body with speed like nobody else his size. I think he goes in the 2nd round, for his sake I hope its not the Jets.

11. alxgmz says: Apr 11, 2013 11:07 AM

You will be a mid early second round steal my friend. Are you second round talent? Of course not, but welcome to the domino effect, and free agency plays a big part of it.

12. bensawesomeness says: Apr 11, 2013 11:52 AM

as a current Michigan State student, do us proud, Le’veon, we have faith in you

13. scoregasmic says: Apr 11, 2013 12:00 PM

Plus no one is talking about his blocking ability. He’s impressive. Best back in the draft and I don’t think it’s close

14. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Apr 11, 2013 12:04 PM

It’s nice to see that someone is finally giving Bell the respect that he deserves.
    Michigan State’s offensive line wasn’t good last season and he was still dominant. In fact he was about their only offensive weapon and he basically carried the team. He has a great combination of size and speed and he can block and catch passes out of the backfield.
    I’m not sure what it is with the sports media and lack of respect for Michigan State. CFT wouldn’t even acknowledge that Adrien Payne was one of the premier big men in the NCAA tournament and he’s a total beast. If Bell went to the University of Michigan, on the other hand, you would be hearing about him as the second coming of Christ.

15. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Apr 11, 2013 12:05 PM

I’m not sure what it is with the sports media and lack of respect for Michigan State. CFT wouldn’t even acknowledge that Adrien Payne was one of the premier big men in the NCAA tournament and he’s a total beast. If Bell went to the University of Michigan, on the other hand, you would be hearing about him as the second coming of Jesus.

16. ebbycalvinlaloosh says: Apr 11, 2013 12:52 PM

Research, folks. This guy is a 4th round pick at best.

17. ayyyeh says: Apr 11, 2013 12:59 PM

I’ve watched this guy twice (in real life) and he was their whole team. He was the work horse, the reliable guy. He has moves. He knows how to block.
    I texted my friend earliar in the year and told them this guy is a steal whereever he’s drafted.

18. ayyyeh says: Apr 11, 2013 1:06 PM

saw him play once in real life.. I just watched him in a lot of highlight videos !

19. spenn80 says: Apr 11, 2013 2:27 PM

explosionsauce says: Apr 11, 2013 9:44 AM

“Le’Veon likes his money. He makes a lot they say.”

haha nice Elton John reference … great song.

20. jvn36 says: Apr 11, 2013 2:29 PM

Le’veon Bell to the bolts. You heard it here first.

21. operwapitsai says: Apr 11, 2013 3:48 PM

go greeeen

22. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 11, 2013 6:20 PM

I like Bell and Dallas brought him in for a visit so they are interested. Bell is durable, catches the ball well, and is a tough runner. A solid pick for sure.

However he doesn’t have elite break away speed and that’s why I think Lacy will go sooner and possibly Giovani Bernard too.

23. operwapitsai says: Apr 11, 2013 10:00 PM

Im a student at MSU and I saw Bell at a resturant nearby so I asked him about his combine and his words were “I sucked.” This guys was a beast in college after watching him the past few seasons I think hes a more NFL ready back than most others. This dude carried State last season