NFL eases up on restricting crowd noise

Denver Broncos v New York Jets Getty Images

As the NFL continues to make games more fun for the fans in the stands, the league is allowing teams to encourage fans to make more noise.

In the past, the league has frowned on attempts by the home teams to rile up their fans to make noise, on the theory that it’s unfair to the road team’s offense to create an atmosphere so loud that they can’t call out their signals. But according to the Associated Press, the NFL is now allowing teams to use video scoreboards to encourage crowd noise at all times.

The league has also said teams can use audio to encourage crowd noise until 20 seconds remain on the play clock. In the past, any audio used to encourage crowd noise had to stop with 30 seconds left on the play clock.

Although TV ratings are very strong, the NFL is concerned that fans are increasingly choosing the home experience over the stadium experience and has been looking for ways to make fans enjoy attending games more. The league is also requiring teams to put cameras in the locker rooms to give fans in the stadium the opportunity to see what goes on before the game and at halftime, and home teams are required to show the best replay angles in the stadium video boards for all plays that may be reviewed.

Permalink 93 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
93 Responses to “NFL eases up on restricting crowd noise”
  1. jjb0811 says: Apr 11, 2013 4:27 PM

Owners need to was up on prices, that’ll help with sellouts.

2. ampats says: Apr 11, 2013 4:30 PM

NOISE. Perfect explanation of Firehydrant Ed and his jets chant

3. trollhammer20 says: Apr 11, 2013 4:32 PM

If you need a scoreboard to tell you when you’re supposed to cheer, you have no business being in the stadium in the first place. Just sayin’……

4. kotapug says: Apr 11, 2013 4:33 PM

The cameras won’t help at the metrodump in MN I have a better and bigger screen at my house then in that upside down popcorn bowl

5. rpiotr01 says: Apr 11, 2013 4:33 PM

“Although TV ratings are very strong, the NFL is concerned that fans are increasingly choosing the home experience over the stadium experience and has been looking for ways to make fans enjoy attending games more.”

The answer is staring them in the face and unanimous, but they don’t want to hear it – make games cheaper.

6. sonnyboychris says: Apr 11, 2013 4:37 PM

How about lower prices?

7. dtlb58 says: Apr 11, 2013 4:39 PM

The NFL is doing everything to encourage fans to come to the games except what the fans are asking for.

LOWER THE DARN PRICES!

8. mad55555 says: Apr 11, 2013 4:39 PM

It doesn’t really matter what they do to enhance the game experience. As long as they keep pushing the prices up of parking, food, drinks, any item you want to buy t the stadium, and the tickets, the less and less people will be attending. They consider it capitalism, I consider it being a crook.

9. germanstingray says: Apr 11, 2013 4:39 PM

This must have started with Jerrah Jones trying to find a way to get Cowboys fans to make more, or any noise at all.

10. jonevans83 says: Apr 11, 2013 4:40 PM

Should link to that Dolphins game in the Orange Bowl where they kept stopping play because the crowd was too loud.

11. jwh8541 says: Apr 11, 2013 4:42 PM

finally showing replays of controversial plays was a good step but yea they need to lower prices.

in fact just lower the price of concessions and stop making me buy exhibition games and I’d re-up for regular season a current ticket prices.

12. Stiller43 says: Apr 11, 2013 4:43 PM

To all the people saying lower prices, i agree with you…however, as a business owner, you’d try to offer free changes to your product to get people to pay the same expensive price, before you just give up and lower prices.

This free change, however, i think is pretty useless in terms of getting more people into stadiums.

13. bobinkc says: Apr 11, 2013 4:49 PM

Hmmmm, let’s see, $100 for the ticket, $10-20 for parking, $8-10 for a beer or soda, $5+ for a dog or bratt, $7 for hot chocolate…

I wonder what would get me off my comfy couch and into a freezing cold stadium to watch a team that was 2-14 last season…..

Oh, yeah, I know…the opportunity to make more noise! My wife says I already make to much noise yapping about the coaches and players.

14. slugdc says: Apr 11, 2013 4:52 PM

Fans don’t NOT attend games because of a lack of encouragement to make noise. You want to know why people don’t go to games more often? Here’s why fans don’t attend live games:

Average ticket cost: About $80.00
    Average parking cost: $25.00
    Average soft drink: $4.50
    Average hot dog: $5.00
    Program: $5.00
    Hats/Souvenir T-shirt: Around $20.00 (and I’m probably being generous there)

So let’s say we go for a “basic” family game day experience. Say 4 tickets, a program, a simple hot dog and soda for everyone, one souvenir for each of the kids, and paying to park at the stadium. We’re talking in the neighborhood of $430.00+ for one family of 4 to attend one game, once. $430 before factoring gas, tolls, or other indirect expenses related to the game day.

The fact of the matter is that the rank-n-file fan is being priced out of being able to go to the games. Until you fix ticket prices, stop gouging on overpriced concessions, or both; people will keep deciding that it’s not worth a significant chunk of a family’s budget to deal with the drunks and traffic.

15. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 11, 2013 4:52 PM

Well since the numbers are stronger in the TV audience, maybe it’s time the NFL looks for ways to exploit more revenue streams by leveraging their product and brand to it’s peak capabilities. Goodell needs to get to work and earn his paycheck by going out and facilitating the creation of new money.

16. luckyarmpit says: Apr 11, 2013 4:54 PM

The scoreboard has always encouraged the crowd to make noise at every pro game I’ve ever attended, so I guess I’m missing the point here. And I can be plenty loud at home, for free… just ask my wife.

17. paythevig says: Apr 11, 2013 4:54 PM

a plastic bottle of beer shouldn’t cost $12

18. nolahxc says: Apr 11, 2013 4:56 PM

The prices are ridiculous. $8.50 for a beer, $8 for a soft drink or water. Food is overpriced and terrible (in the Superdome at least — go figure, New Orleans would have terrible food in the Superdome). The team owns all the adjacent parking lots asking for $35 per game.

Tailgaiting takes care of most of the issues, but it gets kind of heavy on the wallet.

But as long as people are paying, the owners have no incentive to lower ticket prices.

19. malvord13 says: Apr 11, 2013 4:57 PM

Hmmm how about lowering prices.

20. luckyarmpit says: Apr 11, 2013 4:58 PM

@slugdc, you’re absolutely right. I’ve been saying that for years. But the NFL can’t see the forest for the trees and no matter how many times we complain about the high prices, 59,998 fans will happily pay $7.50 per beer every time their team has a home game. So I’ll stay at home, watching the NFL on my beautiful 58″ plasma HDTV and drink my $0.72 beers (18-pack of bottles is $13 at the grocery store).

21. chilomane says: Apr 11, 2013 4:59 PM

As long a that d-bag fireman ed isn’t there.

22. kwjsb says: Apr 11, 2013 5:09 PM

I don’t know if it is like this everywhere, but the last 2 games I attended (Cleveland Browns Stadium & Carolinas BOA Stadium) and the polite police were everywhere telling people to sit down and calm down, a far cry from the ’70’s and 80’s where you were allowed to express yourself as long as it wasn’t nasty or abusive.
    Is it like that at your stadium?

23. jjljr says: Apr 11, 2013 5:11 PM

well, it seems that the #1 recurring theme here is that NFL teams will lower prices. the problem, of course, is that NFL owners aren’t stupid … as long as you keep paying $12 for a beer, why would they lower the price? as long as you’ll keep paying $150 for a ticket, why would they charge less?

it’s real simple folks — tickets for NFL games, and concessions sold at those games, will not come down until you stop purchasing them.

24. onebucplace says: Apr 11, 2013 5:12 PM

I’m totally for the NFL raising their ticket prices to keep the riff raff out — the stadiums are already quite full and the last thing we need is more trash in the stands that can’t hold their liquor. The NFL should also encourage teams to add in super tier seating above club level nonsense since even then if you’re near the edges you can still see the trash. Maybe work on some technology that can add shirts to any person with a red neck that decides to remove it in the stands. Finally they should remove all internet access in the stadium, block wifi once the game begins – at least for the people in the poor seats. Finally they need to have expanded menu options, not everyone wants to eat “hotdogs” at a game, some of us have class.

25. explosionsauce says: Apr 11, 2013 5:12 PM

That sound you hear is the whole city of Seattle giving a sigh of relief.

26. bitlrc says: Apr 11, 2013 5:13 PM

tickets, concessions, merchandise, parking…they’re all too high.

but the most heinous crime is PSLs. my father’s friend had 4 lower level giants season tickets for about 30 years. when they moved into the new stadium, they wanted to charge him over $100,000 to keep those seats ($20,000 per PSL, plus $700 per seat, per game = $108,000 for season 1).

needless to say, he declined to take out a mortgage in order to pay for football tickets.

27. justintuckrule says: Apr 11, 2013 5:13 PM

I’m ready for the NFL and its overpriced, watered down product to fold and for a new, league full of hard hitting, less penalties and affordable seats to rise from the ashes.

28. 49erstim says: Apr 11, 2013 5:23 PM

I agree that the prices are too high, but lets forget that for a moment….let’s say that you got free tickets, but you HAD to take your wife and kids and not your buddies. Would you take those tickets? Probably not. Why? Too many drunk, obnoxious A-holes that’s why. It is not a family atmosphere. I’ve been to plenty of Stadiums and they’re all alike. The drunks (not drinkers, drunks) ruin the stadium experience.

Again I agree with the price issue. Just a large soda is 7 bucks. Goodness.

29. hugejazz says: Apr 11, 2013 5:27 PM

There is no way the NFL is going to lower prices to get people back into the stadium. But I’ll bet down the line they’ll start doing pure pay-per-view.

30. jwh8541 says: Apr 11, 2013 5:29 PM

—-

Simple if you can follow a conversation.
    The whole point is attendance is down but nfl is offering empty gestures instead of lowering cost.

31. jikkle49 says: Apr 11, 2013 5:29 PM

Unfortunately most fans need to know when to make less noise not when to make noise.

It’s embarrassing when you’re at game and the home crowd has a loud chant going when the home team is on offense.

32. stillers213 says: Apr 11, 2013 5:31 PM

No more golf claps at NFL stadiums! Yay!

33. mburkett1980 says: Apr 11, 2013 5:32 PM

The next big step the league needs to take is to make an effort to show more highlights/stat updates from others games in stadium. I feel so disconnected from the rest of the NFL when at a game.

34. hendeeze says: Apr 11, 2013 5:44 PM

What about the Seahawks piping in music thru their loudspeakers?

35. cna6925 says: Apr 11, 2013 5:45 PM

Make cheaper

36. watermelon1 says: Apr 11, 2013 5:49 PM

While controlling crowd noise is ridiculous… the NFL hasn’t(BUT SHOULD) be disallowing teams to play music during the game. I don’t mean when the play is dead… I mean when the opposing team is huddling. That’s annoying and ridiculous.

This was supposedly not allowed, but happened plenty in visiting stadiums I attended for my team. Rock music was blaring while the game was going on. You couldn’t even hear the roar of the fans because the music was so loud.

Real fans shouldn’t need “motivation” to get loud when their team is on defense. But hey… if they think this keeps people in the stands then fine. I guess lowering prices on the insanely priced food and non-alcoholic drinks is just too obvious to be the answer? Or perhaps forcing the people who buy tickets from you the most, season ticket holders, to pay full price for two preseason games is something that could be changed? Nope. Much improved wi-fi so people can at least get some sort of connection in your stadiums on their phones? Nope. In-house screens on every seat so you can see updates from around the other NFL games going on? Shoot, even if not highlights… give me constant scores that I can see at any time.

But no… the NFL thinks the answer is “helping” fans get louder.

Absolute geniuses.

37. rodneyharrisonstruckstick says: Apr 11, 2013 5:49 PM

@mburkett1980^

Are you there to root for your team or follow fantasy stats? If your so concerned about league highlights don’t go to the game. You probably find 4th and 1 a good time to check your phone for ff stats. Head down and mouth shut. Hate these people. Sorry for a direct attack here.

38. harrisonhits2 says: Apr 11, 2013 5:52 PM

39. 49erdynasty says: Apr 11, 2013 6:07 PM

Lowering the cost for tickets won’t do anything. As long as people are willing to pay the prices (including on secondary markets), the supply will be met with demand.

40. cball77 says: Apr 11, 2013 6:10 PM

As an ex season ticket holder and a guy who still attends a couple games a year, I believe teams should try a better security/police presence to deal with vulgar, drunk, idiot fans – in particular in the upper bowl. Security has been getting better in Seattle but it’s not even CLOSE to where it needs to be.

True football fans don’t care about cameras in locker rooms and signs telling them to cheer – make it a place I can take my kid before he turns 16 in 12 years time!

And trollhammer is right, they don’t need to keep the fans who need to be told when to cheer. They need to focus on true fans who are choosing their living rooms in a lot of NFL cities struggling to draw people.

41. EJ says: Apr 11, 2013 6:11 PM

Family of 6: Tickets $85 x 6= $510, Parking $20, HotDogs + Drink $6 x 6= $36, Popcorn $6. $510 + $20 + $36 + $6= $572! $572 for 4 hours of Family time. I can watch the same thing at home with more comfort, keep my $572, In the warmth of my couch, with no lines to use the bathroom, no lines to get food, no drunk a-holes(unless you count my neighbor), no one to scratch or dent my car, no gasoline, no driving. The only thing I don’t get to do that is fun is Tailgate. Which would you choose?

Owners, lower the ticket prices!!!

42. wopsravens says: Apr 11, 2013 6:22 PM

If you want more fans to go, make it so we can go without taking out a loan….

43. dryzzt23 says: Apr 11, 2013 6:26 PM

Decrease player costs and the prices will come down. LABOR aka players are the highest cost to owners, and therefore until players salaries are reduced, the prices will keep going up.

Blame the PLAYERS not the owners.

44. docboss says: Apr 11, 2013 6:26 PM

I am waiting for the class action lawsuit regarding hearing loss due to stadium crowd noise. Where is OSHA? Decibel levels in stadiums exceed OSHA standards. Players and fans are at risk! Where are the lawyers?

45. packmangamble says: Apr 11, 2013 6:28 PM

Ah hello, McFly, when ticket prices are at $100 or more you bet people are going to stay home to watch it. The beer is a lot cheaper as well. Do you really think letting fans cheer more is going to bring more people out to the games? At least at home you can swear whereas at the stadium you’d get thrown out!

46. seahawkbias says: Apr 11, 2013 6:31 PM

Prices are fine.
    My season ticket costs $80. No bit deal. Try playing on a decent golf course or going to show downtown (oh, I forgot, most posters here seem to live in their parents basement)
    If you cant afford it, stay home. Thats fine with me. Seattle has had no problem filling the seats and we all have a great time at the game.

High School ball will run you about $8.00 . Maybe give that a try.

47. mazblast says: Apr 11, 2013 6:32 PM

trollhammer20 says: Apr 11, 2013 4:32 PM

————————————-
    Maybe that’s why the Bengals have so few real sellouts at PBS. The fans are obliviots.

The only guaranteed sellouts they have are when the Browns and Steelers come to town (and sometimes the Colts or Bears, who don’t come to town every year). What tickles me is that their fans are so much louder than Bagel fans and always have been. When my late father had Bungles season tickets at Riverfront, he would always be sooooo ticked when he got home, even if the Bugles won–“60,000 Bengal fans, 5,000 Browns fans, and they were LOUDER! Why do these people even go to the games?”

48. bert1913 says: Apr 11, 2013 6:33 PM

this ban started because the nfl was so embarrassed when the ram’s came out with their “ram rules” video

49. bordner says: Apr 11, 2013 6:33 PM

I actually agree with mburkett1980 – I don’t necessarily care about stats, but I do want to know scores and enjoy seeing highlights from other games, especially during TV timeouts for the game I’m attending. If you’ve ever been to a game live, you know there’s plenty of down time.

And maybe it’s just my network, but I have a hard time getting reception in most stadiums, so I can’t check my phone. If all stadiums installed wifi, that would be a big help, too.

50. onebucplace says: Apr 11, 2013 6:34 PM

People are giving me thumbs down because I don’t want to be seen in a public shoving a foot long down my mouth? Well I guess we know who they want on their team ** hint hint, the name rhymes with Don Mayo.

51. bordner says: Apr 11, 2013 6:36 PM

Oh, and can everyone please stop with the “just lower ticket prices” comments? Like no one has ever suggested that before. We all know it’s not going to happen anytime soon, if ever, so try to come up with something new. If you can’t afford it, accept that fact and move on.

52. si1m says: Apr 11, 2013 6:49 PM

It was loud and frigid in Denver last January but that didn’t stop Baltimore from outplaying the Broncos. Teams can deal with it. Everyone gets 8 games at home out of 16. And you earn your home playoff games.

53. bigbluefan11 says: Apr 11, 2013 6:52 PM

How about telling Fireman Ed to sit in his seat and watch the game instead of standing up and blocking everyone’s view. No, he’s glorified. Why would anyone pay for an obstructed view behind that d-bag???

54. rebel21das says: Apr 11, 2013 7:26 PM

Drop down those prices, gotta love corporate America, and honestly it’s just sad what’s happening to the NFL.

55. seabronco says: Apr 11, 2013 7:32 PM

I don’t think 120$ for a ticket is too high. What is ridiculous is when the tickets are resold when the game is sold out

56. roberto242 says: Apr 11, 2013 7:35 PM

Mr. Smith, the 12th Man here in Seattle would like a word with you for using a picture of Firecrotch Ed as the picture associated with an article relating to crowd noise in the NFL.

57. noring4youstill says: Apr 11, 2013 7:35 PM

How about the Colts and various others pumping crowd noise in

58. deljzc says: Apr 11, 2013 7:45 PM

I was really on the bubble about spending $250 and going to a game this year but after this change, sign me up.

Thanks NFL.

(sarcasm)….

59. omegalh says: Apr 11, 2013 7:45 PM

Instead of spending money to get people buy tickets…why don’t they take that and lower ticket prices?

60. johnnyb216 says: Apr 11, 2013 7:49 PM

soon itll be like trying to squeeze water out of a stone…

61. 75rockrasin says: Apr 11, 2013 7:55 PM

Didn’t fireman Ed ripoff his jersey and storm out in protest last season because the jets
    STINK STINK STINK.

Nice example of fan loyalty Bwahahahaha

62. justintuckrule says: Apr 11, 2013 7:58 PM

Prices are fine.
    My season ticket costs $80. No bit deal.
    ——
    @seattlebias – That’s because your team blows. Who wants to see a team have one good season every 20. Become a Giant fan and tell me if $20,000 PSLs and $300 per seat is “no bit deal”.

63. stevez51 says: Apr 11, 2013 8:01 PM

I pay $90. a ticket and this year parking is going to $40. Tailgating is the way to go. You get the full game experience. We grill and bring our good beer. There’s nothing like being at the game its a 1 day event. I do not buy inside and will not pay $8. for Miller Lite. Don’t drink it anyway.

What needs to change is the preseason games. My son came up with a thought. Charge us $5. more for the regular season games aqnd half price for the preseason. The teams will still get their ticket money but we will be able to unload the preseason and not lose a bundle. People will buy a half priced ticket to go and see their team and the stadium experience.

64. newjerseygiants says: Apr 11, 2013 8:07 PM

Fortunately, I’m able to get media credentials for some Giants home games each year. If not for that. I’d never actually pay those outrageous prices. People forking over $500 for a decent ticket on Stub Hub is insane, yet they do it.

65. majormeatcurtains says: Apr 11, 2013 8:08 PM

onebucplace says: Apr 11, 2013 5:12 PM

————————————————————-
    How about a pilates area for rope smokers like you. Finally, if you want to act intelligent please refrain to using the word “finally” just once in your argument. I always wondered what a troll in a tutu would sound like. You nailed it.

66. ravensbob says: Apr 11, 2013 8:16 PM

NFL ticket prices outrageous. Visio hD tv priceless.

67. lambeauandlombardi says: Apr 11, 2013 8:20 PM

“and the polite police were everywhere telling people to sit down ”

“If they want more noise they might want to stop trying to make people sit down instead of standing up and yelling their heads off.”
    ………………………………………………………………………

I use to wonder why so many people think that they have to stand up to be able to yell. After attending games at various stadiums I finally realized that given the anatomical area that a lot of people have their heads in, they need to stand up to be able to see and be heard. There is a reason they put SEATS in stadiums. If you want to stand up then sit in the very top row or go to the standing room only area.

68. richiesaurus310 says: Apr 11, 2013 8:24 PM

Nfl could just not televise non sell out games. And not just locally. It’d be a major dick move, but that’s the only way this wouldn’t be an issue ever again.

69. mungman69 says: Apr 11, 2013 8:24 PM

If people stay away en mass they WILL drop the ticket prices. The personal seat license drove me away.

70. ringwormsherm says: Apr 11, 2013 8:28 PM

“This is so unfair!”
    -the other 31 teams complaining about the CLink.
    GO HAWKS!!!

71. badintent says: Apr 11, 2013 8:34 PM

@.justintuckrule
    They have the league. it’s called the NCAA football program.same stupid parking and food costs, but the tickets are a lot less.

72. patriots420 says: Apr 11, 2013 8:35 PM

I’d like to see fireman Ed getting hit with a sac of monkey dropping on the giant scoreboard

73. ktred1996 says: Apr 11, 2013 8:45 PM

Why would Owners lower prices when 80% of the teams are basically selling out every game?

74. nardointhenati says: Apr 11, 2013 8:56 PM

Here’s a idea, follow the NCAA model. More people attend a weekend of SEC or Big 10 football then show up at a NFL game and those stadiums are bigger in a lot of cases.

75. musicman495 says: Apr 11, 2013 9:05 PM

ringwormsherm says: Apr 11, 2013 8:28 PM

“This is so unfair!”
    -the other 31 teams complaining about the CLink.
    GO HAWKS!!!
    ———————-
    The only “12th man” of any consequence in Seattle is the structural engineer who was paid by Paul Allen to artificially aim the stadium noise from the stands onto the field and the visiting sideline. Nice work if you can get it. Should have been banned years ago.

76. mungman69 says: Apr 11, 2013 9:23 PM

That’s right, the owners WON’T lower prices if they keep selling out.

77. vik3z says: Apr 11, 2013 9:41 PM

i dont even believe it was previously frowned upon for the home fans “to make too much noise for the opponents offense” this is bloody football for god’s sake. since when should we give a flying f**k if the stadium is too loud for the opponent. THATS THE WHOLE POINT OF HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE!

the nfl is so f-ing ridiculous lmap

78. whitemike55 says: Apr 11, 2013 9:45 PM

My lower level seat on the 10 yard line is $100.00. Yes it’s not cheap but when the Texans have a waiting list for YEARS why on earth would they lower the cost of tickets?

I’m no genius, but I understand supply/demand.

79. billygoat says: Apr 11, 2013 10:09 PM

You suckers keep buying those tickets. I will keep sitting in my home theater watching the game with my friends.

80. slickster35 says: Apr 11, 2013 10:12 PM

Goodell: “lets do whatever we can to detract from the subpar product we intend to put on the field by any means possible”.

The prices will drop as attendance does as the ruination of the game continues. Price won’t be an issue. The game will be the issue.

81. mayanpacker says: Apr 11, 2013 10:17 PM

The prices are not “too high.” Games are still selling-out in most markets. I said most. As long as we keep buying NFL tickets, as opposed to starting my son’s college fund, the prices will only get higher. So instead of complaining about the prices, make smarter choices with your discretionary income. If you can’t afford it, you are not the “target market” the NFL is after. And if you don’t like it, you don’t like our great American capitalist system. And if you don’t like the capitalist system, you don’t like the very model that allowed the NFL to achieve its great reach.

82. hawkforlife says: Apr 11, 2013 10:23 PM

OK, my 2 cents. I’ll pay for the tickets but the parking charges and food/beverage charges are a joke. As for the souvenirs, don’t buy jerseys and hats period. The players could care less how many jerseys are in the stands, they care about their next contract for whatever team pays the most. I’d do the same so I’m not bitch’n about that. They risk a lot so should get as much as they can. The only people that make $$ on jerseys are the already rich NFL properties.

83. bricketh says: Apr 11, 2013 10:54 PM

@Luckarmpit
    A 58″ is all you have?? It’s funny, because I read that thinking it sounded like you before I saw it actually WAS you!

Anyway, I believe this was actually allowed as of last season, as it was posted on this very site last year, and I recall the Pats’ web radio show (PFW In Progress) discussing it last season, or last offseason…

Agree on the price front. WAY too much for such an experience, especially if the seats are in the end zone… It’s fun to do once, but if you want to sustain crowds over the long term, make your prices reasonable…

84. artiesliver says: Apr 11, 2013 11:07 PM

drew brees wants an explanation.

85. ravensdominate says: Apr 11, 2013 11:50 PM

Baltimore Ravens… Best stadium experience, best home field advantage in the league. World champs. Simply the best.

86. racksie says: Apr 12, 2013 12:12 AM

The NFL has done an amazing job of building their brand for years. They encourage the drunken face painting, costume wearing idiots of the world. And people have seen it on tv and embraced it. Unfortunately, tv has been the downfall of the live event. HD is so much better, and cheaper for the same fans who bought into the act. Now they sit at home, with a better view, for less money,fewer drunken morons, and enjoy it just as much. While encouraging building huge stadiums that will be obsolete in 5 years. Because the home experience is far superior than dealing with everything that goes into the live experience. I am no less a fan at home, than people who pay hundreds more for a one game experience.

87. demolition510 says: Apr 12, 2013 12:46 AM

You want to keep the fans in the stands? Lower the prices. From tickets, to parking to the nachos.

88. baymac408 says: Apr 12, 2013 5:00 AM

That’s all good until cheaters pipe back crowd nice into the stadium and make it double that of the crowd like Seattle!! You clowns aren’t loud and your not the 12th anything it’s your Stadium! Loudest crowds come from the bay with back up for that loudness!

89. wolfmanpatriot says: Apr 12, 2013 6:04 AM

mayanpacker says: Apr 11, 2013 10:17 PM

The prices are not “too high.”…..If you can’t afford it, you are not the “target market” the NFL is after.

=======================
    You got it. Without going into detail, the NFL is changing the game in hopes to target a richer market. This will ultimately fail. Hopefully, sooner before it is too late for the game and the real fans, than later.

90. theralph2012 says: Apr 12, 2013 8:38 AM

Does anyone remember a Lions Jets game from about 15 years ago where the refs stopped play to warn the crowd to quiet down in the Silver Dome? After they got even louder, they threatened to take a TO from the Lions…most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

91. deathonwings410 says: Apr 12, 2013 10:31 AM

We don’t have that problem at M and T Bank Stadium!!!

92. luckyarmpit says: Apr 12, 2013 11:35 AM

kwjsb says: I don’t know if it is like this everywhere, but the last 2 games I attended (Cleveland Browns Stadium & Carolinas BOA Stadium) and the polite police were everywhere telling people to sit down and calm down, a far cry from the ’70′s and 80′s where you were allowed to express yourself as long as it wasn’t nasty or abusive.
    Is it like that at your stadium?

—————————————

It’s very funny you say that… the one and only time I went to BofA stadium was last year to see the Giants vs. Panthers…. Week 3 I think? My friend (with his 8-year old son) and I paid a lot of money for the good seats and it was totally spoiled by the two drunken college fratboys about two rows in front of us. Many people were constantly asking them to sit down and they refused, stating it was “their right” to stand up because it was “their section” because they paid for the PSLs to those seats. Enough was enough and security was called. Just as security was coming to deal with it, the two drunken louts – who could barely stand up at this point – left. The entire section cheered when they staggered away.

Look, an NFL game is exciting… I get that. Everyone stands up when something exciting happens. That’s fine too. But when it’s over, you sit down. That’s the way it works. I don’t understand why that’s so hard to comprehend to some people. If that’s considered to be “the polite police”, then just call me Officer Friendly. There are 59,999 other people there that want to see the game too. I’ll politely sit down when the action is over. What gives you the right to stand up the entire time and block everyone else’s view?

Expensive tickets…. PSLs…. parking…. expensive food…. drunken idiots…. and the NFL really wonders why attendance is down? Can I get a job in their front office?

93. marcg1957 says: Apr 12, 2013 1:40 PM

hawkforlife says:

Apr 11, 2013 10:23 PM
    ———
    You’re wrong players care about how many jerseys are in the stands and how much NFL merchandise is sold because NLPA & NLF share all revenues on a percentage basis. The more NFL merchandise sold throughout all NFL stadiums on game days NFLPA gets a percentage of those sales.