Dee Milliner fired up about Browns prospects

Dee Milliner AP

Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner won’t be making a trip to Philadelphia, but he could definitely see himself making beautiful music in Cleveland.

Milliner told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer he thought he and Browns cornerback Joe Haden would quickly become the best tandem in the NFL.

“I really think we can,” Milliner said. “Not to be cocky or anything, but I think we’d be two really dynamic players who could go out and do great things for this defense.”

Asked if there was a pair that could top them, Milliner couldn’t think of one.

“No, not right now, I don’t think so,” he said. “Oh man, that would be awesome. I think we’d make a great combo and we’d accomplish some great things together.”

Milliner met Haden Monday during a pre-draft visit, a chance to meet someone he played against during Haden’s days at Florida and studied on film since then.

“I study the top cornerbacks in the league to see what techniques I can put into my arsenal,” Milliner. “I’ve watched film of guys like Champ Bailey, Darrelle Revis, Patrick Peterson and Joe. Joe has great fundamentals and he’s definitely going to be one of the great DBs in the game. I really enjoyed meeting him. I’ve played against him, but have never really gotten a chance to talk to him.”

Former Crimson Tide teammate Trent Richardson has also given Milliner a Cleveland sales pitch.

The Browns have needs such that taking a corner with the sixth pick is far from a given, but having someone excited about being a Brown, and someone who would solidify a position, is an intriguing thought.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
42 Responses to “Dee Milliner fired up about Browns prospects”
  1. alecanthony says: Apr 12, 2013 12:03 PM

Why would any player ever want to play for the browns? That’s like commuting football career suicide

2. doe22us says: Apr 12, 2013 12:04 PM

Slow it down habibi, the only thing exciting about the Browns is that you want to get picked high. Nothing exciting about going to the Browns beyond that. Best tandem?? you havent even stepped on the field yet.

3. erock0129 says: Apr 12, 2013 12:04 PM

Guess who else will be happy….THIS GUY!!!

4. hawkslv says: Apr 12, 2013 12:06 PM

Seattle, Chicago, and the Jets until they trade Revis have better CB combos then the Browns would have.

5. eaglesw00t says: Apr 12, 2013 12:07 PM

No mention of watching Dick Sherman as one of the best CBs in the game? How dare he?!?!

6. wojlos says: Apr 12, 2013 12:09 PM

Are you kidding me this is a perfect marriage! Make this happen! NO EXCUSES! GO BROWNS!!!

7. roofbeam says: Apr 12, 2013 12:10 PM

This new Browns regime and team are going to surprise people.

8. dws123 says: Apr 12, 2013 12:14 PM

Milliner’s right. So long as his talent can transfer to the NFL level, there’s no reason to believe that he and Haden can’t become one of, if not THE, best CB tandems in the league. If he’s there at #6, that is.

9. phan216 says: Apr 12, 2013 12:15 PM

I love that he didnt name Sherman in his list. That guy is a classless piece of garbage

10. norseyapper says: Apr 12, 2013 12:24 PM

The team that can break up this dynamic tandem is Detroit, not talking about CJ and whom ever…but they have the 5th pick and it would be a shock if they don’t take him.

11. raqaiw says: Apr 12, 2013 12:24 PM

Maybe it was rust from his suspension,but Haden was very average(being kind there) last year. I remember one game,I think it was in Cleveland in fact,that Smith from the Ravens had Haden turned all around. Brutal.

12. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 12, 2013 12:27 PM

The kid hasn’t played a down in the NFL and he’s already yapping.
    Another big mouth diva corner.

13. godofwine330 says: Apr 12, 2013 12:30 PM

My brother is an amateur Mike Mayock, and he told me that Milliner will struggle in the pro game with excessive contact ala Antonio “P.I.” Langham, a former Crimson Tide corner who also played for the Browns. Though I am more of a Warmack fan I wouldn’t be mad at a Milliner pick.

14. jsalter1989 says: Apr 12, 2013 12:33 PM

Hanford Dixon/Frank Minnifield??? And I love how everyone keeps saying that the Browns are a terrible organization… Perhaps that’s been true for a long time now but what makes the organization? Ownership? Administrative staff? Coaches? Last I checked, all of these posts are held by new folks, which in turn wipes the slate clean, no?

15. boctavious says: Apr 12, 2013 12:37 PM

Hope this comes to fruition.

16. detroitrollin22 says: Apr 12, 2013 12:38 PM

Sorry to break it to you Dee, but looks like you’re going to be going a little more north. However, I know you won’t complain when your the 5th overall pick, and as a result making an extra couple mill.

You, Suh, Fairley, and Quin will make up a great defense for Detroit.

17. brownoholic says: Apr 12, 2013 12:42 PM

Quit teasin’ me!!!!!

18. clutch02 says: Apr 12, 2013 12:50 PM

Samuel, Cromartie, and Namdi thought they were the best too

19. sweetsauce9 says: Apr 12, 2013 12:54 PM

“My brother is an amateur Mike Mayock” lol… I’m an amateur George Clooney

20. audient says: Apr 12, 2013 1:01 PM

Why would any player ever want to play for the browns?

—-

Why? Because any player who is a key part of a Super Bowl winning Browns team will be revered with god-like status in Cleveland for the rest of his life and beyond.

Look at how Browns fans celebrate Jim Brown, despite everything that happened after ’64 championship. Look at how Browns fans celebrate Bernie Kosar and the Dawgs, and Brian Sipe and the Kardiac Kids, even though none of those teams made it past the AFC Championship game.

Win in Cleveland, live forever.

21. mataug says: Apr 12, 2013 1:12 PM

In the last 9 drafts, the Browns have had seven picks – Winslow, Braylon Edwards, Joe Thomas, Haden, Trent Richardson picked by the Browns and #5 in 2009 went to Jets who got Sanchez & #6 in 2011 went to Falcons who got Julio Jones – in the top-7 of the NFL draft. It is ridiculous that the Browns keep picking in the top-7 again and again.

22. oldbyrd says: Apr 12, 2013 1:14 PM

Yea sure….Must be a lunatic Browns fan……Remember when ? lol

23. phinfan says: Apr 12, 2013 1:17 PM

Well if he can be a top pick and play with his HOMEBOYS while making millions. Why else would he not be happy. Too bad hes going to a crappy team

24. EJ says: Apr 12, 2013 1:23 PM

I’m not sure what the re-signing of Leodis McKelvin does for the Bills with the other CB position opposite Stephon Gilmore, but having Milliner line up across Gilmore would be exciting! Two shut’em down corners with McKelvin covering the slot would be sweet. I can see Buffalo taking Milliner with the #8.

25. shanefalco19 says: Apr 12, 2013 1:45 PM

You know, initially I wasn’t sold on Dee…. But the more I here him talk about Cleveland & how excited he is, the better I feel about it…. Funny he didn’t sound all that happy during his first interview on “The Fan” with regards to playing for Cleveland… Maybe it was just me reading to deep into his vocal tones & language but I’m happy now to here his enthusiasm at this point…

We need players that will love being a Brown… We need players that love Cleveland… That stuff matters & has a lot to do with how they perform on the field…. Once the Browns reach the top, there will be no better team to play for because of the fans… The fans are solid when we suck, just imagine what that stadium will sound like once we get our act together… It will sound like The Kosar era every Sunday…. I absolutely cannot wait but it may take some time….. Or it may show immediately… The key is patience & support…. We are almost there….

Lets do it, lets grab Dee & if Weeden isn’t the guy, we can focus on that need next year… Weeden’s starting this year anyway & I think he will be fantastic…..

26. bigboi30 says: Apr 12, 2013 1:48 PM

Nope

Chris Houston, you, Glover Quin, and Delmas and that crazy defensive line that’s a defense he won’t make it past pick #5

27. raiderlyfe510 says: Apr 12, 2013 1:48 PM

Besides Raider Nation…The Browns have the best fan base…They just had a lot of down years so the passion is subsided. Once they start winning Brown Backers will emerge out of every shadow in the country….you’ll see.

Well with Mike Lombardi….you might not see.

28. tomhayes83 says: Apr 12, 2013 1:57 PM

Hell, Mayock is an amateur Mike Mayock! LOL

29. officialgame says: Apr 12, 2013 2:15 PM

I visited Cleveland once and was impressed with the winter coats on the squirrels that made them look like bears.

30. greymares says: Apr 12, 2013 2:26 PM

If your going to Cleveland they will have to jump in front of the Eagles

31. guinsrule says: Apr 12, 2013 2:27 PM

Sorry Cleveland, but No QB=No SB (superbowl)

32. chasechorleone313 says: Apr 12, 2013 2:33 PM

Only time he’ll play in Cleveland is in a Lions uniform playing against them

33. steelerben says: Apr 12, 2013 2:34 PM

Everyone likes to dump on Cleveland because it is such an easy target, but they actually have a lot of talent on that roster. If they could manage to hold together a coaching staff for more than a season they might be able to pull together and do something.

As far as all the comments about the fan base… It is true that Cleveland doesn’t have fair weather fans because Cleveland hasn’t had fair weather.

34. acorp11 says: Apr 12, 2013 2:37 PM

You’re forgetting both Sherman and Browner their Dee… Nice one.

35. whitdog23 says: Apr 12, 2013 2:41 PM

a sales pitch? it’s a draft. kid has no choice. I smell holdout candidate

36. southpaw77 says: Apr 12, 2013 2:43 PM

Dude needs to study more, I dont care for Seattle but that tandem is pretty good.

37. bigzant82 says: Apr 12, 2013 2:45 PM

if he’s there at 6th i hope we can take him we can finally shutdown the STEELERS,RAVENS AND BUNGALS finally with good pair of DB’s you do alot with a decent or good defense!!! hope the detroit does not screws us over with needing a DB

38. mec693 says: Apr 12, 2013 4:04 PM

somwhere, Richard Sherman is butthurt

39. seanpbeck says: Apr 12, 2013 4:07 PM

In this era of reboots and remakes, I’d love to see The Corner Bros 2.0! Unfortunately, I don’t think he’s making it past Detroit at 5.

40. laserrocketarm12 says: Apr 12, 2013 7:12 PM

I know it’s trendy to bash the Browns, but Milliner and Haden would have to be, at least on paper, a top 3 Cornerback tandem.

41. Dream_Machine says: Apr 12, 2013 11:17 PM

This new Browns regime and team are going to surprise people.

—————————————————————
    That’s what they said last time…

42. mrmrsdailey says: Apr 15, 2013 9:18 AM

It is funny reading smack remarks from fans of the Lions, Eagles, Raiders and Phins concerning the Cleveland Browns. While the Browns have struggled for many years after their team was taken from them to the present the Brown’s fanbase never wavers.
    The Browns were reborn in 1999-14 years ago. How many championships do the other teams listed hold since the Browns returned- none!
    If you want to go back to the earlier years it is hard to beat the streak of championship appearances the Browns made in the earlier years.