Jordan Cameron sees “big opportunity” in Cleveland

Cameron Getty Images

New Browns coach Rob Chudzinski likes to use tight ends.  And with a pair of the team’s 2012 tight ends now gone, 2011 draft pick Jordan Cameron has a chance to shine.

I know it’s a big opportunity,” Cameron recently told the team’s official website.  “There’s a lot of opportunities to make plays, and I just want to get out there, show what I can do, and showcase my athleticism.  I’ve always been looking for this opportunity, and so far, getting to meet the coaches and some of the new guys has been good so far.

“It pushes me harder.  You come into the NFL, and you want to be a starter, you want to push for that job.  Right now, I’m doing that. I haven’t earned anything.  I’m not the starter.  I haven’t done anything to prove that.  Right now, I’m working my butt off to get to that position and show them that I’m ready and capable of being the guy.”

Cameron, who played in eight games as a rookie, appeared in 14 games with six starts in 2012.  And while he caught only 20 passes, those numbers could go up this year in Chudzinki’s system.

Of course, Cameron’s status as the potential starter could take a hit if the Browns emerge from the draft with one of the top tight ends, either by trading down in round one and taking Tyler Eifert, nabbing the best guy left in round three (possibly Ohio native Travis Kelce), or trading up into round two, where they don’t currently have a pick, and nabbing Zach Ertz.

Either way, the fourth-round pick in the 2011 draft will have plenty of chances to make a positive impact for the new-look Browns.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Jordan Cameron sees “big opportunity” in Cleveland”
  1. hbdbrowns33 says: Apr 13, 2013 9:12 PM

Cameron may be an ok starter but he just can’t block. Whether or not the Browns bring in another tight end I don’t think Cameron gets more than 30-40 catches all year.

2. yourmothertrebek says: Apr 13, 2013 9:19 PM

why is this bum even a topic of discussion??

3. dbellina says: Apr 13, 2013 9:21 PM

When they were drafted, I always got Jordan Cameron and Cameron Jordan mixed up.

4. orlandodawg says: Apr 13, 2013 10:08 PM

He seems to have the athleticism to be a playmaker if given the playing time. I never understood why he wasn’t given more opportunity under the previous regime. Sure he can’t block, who cares leave that for Thomas, the quickly improving Schwartz, and hopefully Chance Warmack if the Browns are smart in the upcoming draft.

5. dawgpounddave says: Apr 13, 2013 11:04 PM

dbellina, so did the Browns’ front office during the draft…

Seriously, they called Cameron Jordan instead of Jordan Cameron. Look it up!

6. duckingacademy says: Apr 13, 2013 11:46 PM

I’ve read entire articles on Bleacher Report about this guy where they call him Cameron Jordan

7. GenXJay says: Apr 14, 2013 1:44 AM

dude is delusional. everyone knows Cleveland is not the “it” destination.
    Seattle on the other hand…

8. brownoholic says: Apr 14, 2013 8:15 AM

Couldn’t ever tell if it was more Shurmer or Weeden’s fault that Cameron didn’t get more receptions.

I think its obvious they see his potential but also, from free agency, that they want better players at the position…

9. brownsprotonator says: Apr 14, 2013 12:40 PM

Hopefully not another in the endless list of raw talent the Browns fail to develop…

10. steviemo says: Apr 14, 2013 2:07 PM

Cameron was my deep sleeper pick in our dynasty league last year. I see him as a poor man’s Jimmy Graham, who’s my starting TE. Go, Jordan!

11. kwjsb says: Apr 14, 2013 8:08 PM

Another guy that Schurmers system kept him hidden.
    Let see what happens with an offense a little newer than that 30 year old stuff from last year.