Warmack wants to play for the Titans

Warmack Getty Images

Most incoming rookies keep close to the vest their preferred NFL destination.

Not Chance Warmack.

Via Paul Kuharsky of ESPN.com, the former Alabama blocker likes the idea of playing for the Titans, who hold the 10th overall pick in the draft.

“I’ve never been coached by an actual offensive lineman before,” Warmack said. “That alone will escalate my play to a phenomenal level.  Most of my coaches played tight end.  My offensive line coach in college played linebacker.  They couldn’t really relate to what an offensive lineman does.

“They did a good job coaching me, but with [coach Mike Munchak and offensive line coach Bruce Matthews] it would be a whole ‘nother level of learning the position.  I was more attracted to hearing those two guys being on the same team and to know that it was three hours away from my college.  It would be like a dream come true for me.”

His dream of playing for a pair of Hall of Fame linemen hasn’t come true yet.  And if he ends up being drafted by a team without a former offensive lineman coaching the offensive line, that first meeting could be a little awkward.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Warmack wants to play for the Titans”
  1. weskcfan says: Apr 13, 2013 10:00 AM

Good for him. There’s nothing wrong with him stating his preference, and he makes a valid point. Whatever coach he plays for should appreciate his honesty. It’s got to be a breath of fresh air in this era of political correctness!

2. kane337 says: Apr 13, 2013 10:00 AM

That would be an awesome pick for the Titans.

3. socalraider909 says: Apr 13, 2013 10:01 AM

Shouldn’t he have kept this to himself? Not everyone plays for the team they want

4. ctgiant says: Apr 13, 2013 10:05 AM

As I write, Jerry Reese had Warmack into NY, back in March, as he was so impressed with him.
    In many ways, signing Kevin Boothe, 29, to a one year deal, Warmack is a target og the G-men, and hope, beyond hope, he falls to #19, or more likely, Reese moves up to #17, with a deal with the steelers, one step a head of Dallas, and picks him.
    Rarely does Reese indicate much, and this is still “sources”, but realistically, having Pat Flaherty, OL Coach, one would think NY would be a good place to play and most likely start in 2014.
    Looks like this kid wants to “stay close to home’, and how that impacts other teams, I don’t know?
    CT GIANT

5. willbow5253 says: Apr 13, 2013 10:08 AM

Well, that makes one person, I guess..

6. sjoyner59 says: Apr 13, 2013 10:08 AM

this guy is a pro bowler for a decade for sure !!!

7. paulsmith107 says: Apr 13, 2013 10:11 AM

Smart guy. I hope they do take you so Dallas can take cooper

8. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 13, 2013 10:12 AM

9. calhounlambeau says: Apr 13, 2013 10:13 AM

Coaches come and go very quickly, Chance.

10. wwwmattcom says: Apr 13, 2013 10:14 AM

Doug Marrone in Buffalo was an o lineman. Guess that makes Chance ignorant.

11. airmcnair9 says: Apr 13, 2013 10:24 AM

I seriously hope we draft him. Not only is he a complete mauler, but he also says he wants to play for us? Why wouldn’t we wanna draft him. Having warmack and levitre on our o line will give us the kind of stability we haven’t had in years. I know a lot of people have been tough on cj, but our guard play the last two seasons has been awful.

12. grice208 says: Apr 13, 2013 10:28 AM

I hope he is drafted by the Titans!

13. NotoriousKDV says: Apr 13, 2013 10:34 AM

I love it. Why not come out as a player and say, hey this is what will help me to maximize my potential? I mean why wouldn’t an offensive lineman want to be coached by a guy or guys that actually played on the offensive line? It’s not like a John Elway or Eli Manning situation where they didn’t want to play for the teams that drafted them. All he’s doing is stating his preference. Nothing wrong with that.

14. aaronitout says: Apr 13, 2013 10:37 AM

dallascowboysdishingthereal says:
    Apr 13, 2013 10:12 AM

———————————————————–

Can you toss someone under the bus when you when the nat championship seemingly every year?

15. profootballwalk says: Apr 13, 2013 10:41 AM

“dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 13, 2013 10:12 AM

Kind of tossed his Bama coaches under the bus. The line at Bama is going to have three lineman (including Warmack) get drafted in the first couple rounds. I would say the coaches are doing something right there.”
    *********************************************

Son, it’s called recruiting.

16. lks311 says: Apr 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Anyone tell this young man that Head Coach (much like his college coach, Saban) don’t get involved in positional coaching?

Almost anywhere he goes in the Pros, his positional coach is likely a former lineman.

17. toddm1016 says: Apr 13, 2013 10:51 AM

Munchak is only going to be there for one more year. Then Warmack will probably have a former tight end as his head coach.

18. steelers4385 says: Apr 13, 2013 10:58 AM

Lol.

19. raiderspy1 says: Apr 13, 2013 11:04 AM

Here is another Rolando McClain. Chance Warmack wants to play close to home. I hope alot of teams are listening to what he is saying. What Rolando was saying is, he wanted to live closer to the jail he’s in.

20. mungman69 says: Apr 13, 2013 11:05 AM

Sure he would like to be picked 10th. Better money.

21. habsfanatic says: Apr 13, 2013 11:16 AM

I actually think Chance could get drafted by the Arizona Cardinals at 7. He would like it there, their offensive coordinator is a former O-line coach.

22. cmdrsmooth says: Apr 13, 2013 11:17 AM

Jets will probably take him or now trade with another team that needs him. He’s a great talent. Titans will have to trade up with Jets to take him.

23. titansbro says: Apr 13, 2013 12:13 PM

I like that he’s saying that & I’m ok with it if they draft him. But 2 things here: Munchak is coaching for his job this year & if Locker doesn’t make strides he’s likely gone. The other is that Cooper may actually be the guy they want if they wind up going OG. I’ve heard they really like him. But they haven’t addressed the need for DE in free agency so they could go that direction.

24. lostsok says: Apr 13, 2013 12:39 PM

At least he’s more concerned with where he plays than how much he’ll make.

25. fbwangus8736 says: Apr 13, 2013 12:53 PM

I think He is the best guard to come out in the last ten years! But come on! Gee in the radio interview in Detroit he said He would love to be a Lion. Same thing in Buffalo about being a Bill, NY as a J-E-T-S jets jets jets, San Diego, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Dallas. What team wouldn’t want Him on their team?!

26. oldbyrd says: Apr 13, 2013 1:04 PM

Anybody who gets this kid is lucky. He ll probably go in the top 10. You can’t teach strength.

27. detroitrollin22 says: Apr 13, 2013 1:46 PM

Watch the Titans draft Jonathan Cooper instead lol

28. boltbacker says: Apr 13, 2013 2:01 PM

Are there any teams in the NFL that do not have a former offensive lineman coaching O-line?

29. nomesayin says: Apr 13, 2013 4:07 PM

Larry Allen 2.0

30. rprudhomme says: Apr 13, 2013 4:56 PM

I think he just wants to be as close to home as he can be if possible. Titans are probably most likely his favorite team.

31. japmen says: Apr 13, 2013 4:58 PM

Smart player. Name the probable first team willing to draft you and try to push for a being a top 10 pick. They would be smart to follow Warmack’s thoughts too. He would do wonders for that team.

32. longsufferingbillsfan says: Apr 13, 2013 5:18 PM

Should have said something before they overpaid for Levitre. Then the Bills could have signed him for less and wouldn’t be picking you at #8.

33. titansup55 says: Apr 13, 2013 5:40 PM

I sure hope my Titans pick you too Chance…..our OL could sure use you & Locker would be a lot better qb with the new guys we got now.

34. swaggyy says: Apr 13, 2013 5:55 PM

And get stuck with Locker and wear those putrid uniforms? Enjoy that chance!

35. thesteelers says: Apr 13, 2013 6:10 PM

What he means to say is: “I want to be a top ten pick.”

36. kev86 says: Apr 13, 2013 8:52 PM

A GM with top ten pick shouldn’t pick a guard.

37. luz56 says: Apr 13, 2013 9:12 PM

Shouldn’t pick a guard with the top 10 pick???? If you get the chance to draft a G like Warmack you take him… Should be an All Pro for many years.. Welcome to Arizona

38. buddysguys says: Apr 14, 2013 9:53 AM

didn’t the titans just overpay for a guard in FA? plus use a top ten pick on one? not very smart

39. mikeh3875 says: Apr 15, 2013 5:34 AM

I’m hoping they go defense at 10

40. djjackson81 says: Apr 16, 2013 5:20 PM

Chance should be saying he will be honored to be drafted by whomever drafts him period. Drafts are just that drafts not FA signing wherever you want to play or the most money through at you.

41. djjackson81 says: Apr 16, 2013 5:22 PM

Welcom to Arizona Chance be grateful you were drafted in the top ten.