Blank says new stadium will have “modest” PSL program

Blank Getty Images

As the Falcons move toward the construction of a new stadium, which will open within 25 years after they christened their current home, the new digs will include everyone’s favorite fake asset:  the Personal Seat License.

Owner Arthur Blank tells D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “We’ll have a PSL program.”  Blank added, however, that it will “be a much more modest program than some other franchises have done.”

The concept is simple, and the returns are hardly modest.  In order to purchase tickets, the customer first must purchase the right to purchase tickets.

Having a new stadium could also help Atlanta purchase another Super Bowl.  If the stadium opens as planned in 2017, a bid would be submitted for the title game that ends the 2018 season, at the earliest.

“It’s a matter of looking at a slot and figuring out [when to bid],” Blank said.  “NFL owners are very respectful of public contributions and commitments to franchises, so I think they’ll be, certainly, hopefully, looking past the ice storm of 2000.”

Given that the next Super Bowl could be played in an open-air ice storm, it’s safe to say the league will be willing to look past a fluke occurrence that marred the most recent Super Bowl held in Georgia.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Blank says new stadium will have “modest” PSL program”
  1. melkipershero says: Apr 14, 2013 6:04 PM

And the rich get richer. Hey, how about use psl revenue for stadium costs instead of tax money?

2. d0minate says: Apr 14, 2013 6:11 PM

I don’t know how other teams do it, but I personally like the way the Seahawks did their Charter Seat licenses. yes I had to “buy” the seat license, but then I get my tickets for $100/game. That is a pretty sweet deal considering that the club seats right above me go for 3x that amount (and my seats are closer to the field). My Charter Seat license fee will pay for it’s self in less than 3 years.

3. thisonesforpat says: Apr 14, 2013 6:13 PM

Wow. What moxey. What hubris. He says that like he’s doing Atlanta fan a favor.

Then again, he’s not Jerry or Danny-boy.

4. jerrygray721 says: Apr 14, 2013 6:29 PM

how about the fans form a union and the nfl can buy a license from us for the right to sell to us. we however will be real about our license and call it the B.S. license program

5. prosportswashington says: Apr 14, 2013 6:33 PM

I don’t see how PSL’s are legal, you’re swindling your fans in the worst way by taking advantage of their support and shafting them out of MORE money

6. bigbenv says: Apr 14, 2013 7:02 PM

Why robert kraft is the best owner in sports….no psl, used his own money and he capped season tickets at 50,000 to allow the regular joe to buy tickets for one game.

7. phonymcringring says: Apr 14, 2013 7:05 PM

“Modest” and “PSL” don’t jive. Requiring your biggest supporters to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for the right to buy a ticket is wrong any way you look at it.

8. blueballz77 says: Apr 14, 2013 7:10 PM

The greed is terrible with theses owners.I’m a diehard Giants fan I had season tickets in my family since the old stadium opened. Then the dreaded new stadium I had 4 seats 45 yard yard lower tier 16 rows back. They wanted 20,000k plus season ticket prices.80,000k!!!!?%$ but they said you can pay 1,000k for nose bleeds. I said f. you and your PSL. now some little spoiled rich kid sit in my seat and leaves at halftime cus its too cold.Get ready Atlanta fans the dark cloud of greed is coming.

9. johnnyb216 says: Apr 14, 2013 7:11 PM

This is the biggest scam in all of sports…

10. onbucky96 says: Apr 14, 2013 7:36 PM

Living in Wisconsin, I can tell you the only thing in football more fake than PSLs are…Packer stock shares. No value. No voting rights. You have the privilege of showing up at the stock holder meeting and a slim chance at asking a question. Oh yeah, you get a piece of paper to hang on the wall that says you own packer stock. WOW.

11. Iknoweverything says: Apr 14, 2013 7:38 PM

Fleecing the sheep. When will people realize that these owners care absolutely nothing about them and only want to take take take their money away from them

12. jebdamone says: Apr 14, 2013 7:38 PM

I don’t know, maybe I don’t fully understand how the PSL program works but to me it seems like a total scam that essentially forces season ticket holders to pay for their seat twice.

13. SeenThisB4 says: Apr 14, 2013 7:40 PM

No one is forced to buy PSLs, if you don’t like’em, don’t buy’em.

14. brianfromcanada says: Apr 14, 2013 7:43 PM

I can’t understand why so many people are mad? The money from psl’s will be going into stadium funding just like the tax money. And if you think they cost too much money then don’t pay it. It’s the American way. The free market. If there is enough demand prices will rise and people with more money will pay them. If the demand isn’t there the price will drop. Isn’t that what made America great? There will be lots of season tickets without psl’s, they just won’t be as good as the seats with psl’s.

15. harrisonhits2 says: Apr 14, 2013 7:46 PM

Here we go NFL owners, lets hear a chorus of your favorite song “Lets All Rape The Fans”

16. blueballzny says: Apr 14, 2013 8:07 PM

When I think about ice storms ruining a Superbowl I think of Dallas a few years back, not Atlanta. And that wasn’t even the biggest issue considering Jerry Jones sold tickets for seats that weren’t even there. Only Jerry could muck up the biggest event of the year on such a grand scale!

17. jacksonrr3 says: Apr 14, 2013 8:14 PM

And the NFL wonders why more and more people are deciding to stay home on Sundays?

18. bobulated says: Apr 14, 2013 8:14 PM

The Falcons historically have had issues selling season tix and filling up the dome with actual Falcons fans especially when the Packers, Steelers, Cowboys and Saints come to town and their fans seem to outnumber ours. Now they’re going to ask Atlanta fans to pay for the privilege of being able to pay for tickets?
    Mr. Blank, I appreciate everything you’ve done for the Falcons but good luck with that.

19. istateyourname says: Apr 14, 2013 8:31 PM

Uh oh. Billionaire modest is probably a little different than regular schmoe modest, you’ll see.

20. granadafan says: Apr 14, 2013 9:11 PM

You gotta love NFL owners. Multibillionaires fleecing the taxpayers into building their lavish palaces, then preventing the public from watching the game if not enough tickets are sold.

21. dvdman123 says: Apr 14, 2013 9:56 PM

This is why as much as I love the NFL if they went under tomorrow I wouldn’t lose one bit of sleep over it. The owners are nothing but a bunch of greedy you know what. There is nothing wrong with the Georgia Dome to warrant building a new stadium but GREED!!!!!!!!!!

22. eventhorizon04 says: Apr 14, 2013 10:47 PM

Here’s the problem. Fans complain tickets are “too expensive”, almost all NFL franchises reported regular sell-outs last year.

If you open a business and sell out your inventory almost every day, would you lower your prices just because customers complained prices are too high? Probably not.

If you don’t want to pay these prices, don’t pay them. However, good chance other fans will.

23. heartless85 says: Apr 15, 2013 8:50 AM

I enjoy watching from home a lot more anyway

24. iamedreed says: Apr 15, 2013 10:09 AM

i still don’t get why they are any more deserving of a superbowl then baltimore is. we built a new stadium with public funds but i don’t see anyone crying for us to get to host a superbowl.

the ability for a team in a warm weather city to potentially host a home game in the superbowl is an unfair competitive advantage. in addition it gives them a way to sell the city to give even more money on the hopes of one day getting to host the super bowl.