Quessenberry may join military if NFL doesn’t work

David Quessenberry AP

David Quessenberry is going to be drafted, but he still might enlist.

The San Jose State offensive line prospect said that if his NFL dreams didn’t pan out, he might join the military, as so many in his family have done.

Quessenberry earned notice during the Senior Bowl for playing every position along the line, and figures to be a mid-round prospect. But after growing up listening to his father’s stories about the Navy, he said he’s considering pursuing his own career in the service when he’s finished.

“Yeah, it’s definitely something I have thought about. It’s something I’ve been around my whole life,” Quessenberry told Mike Garafolo of USA Today. “Playing in the National Football League is a dream of mine, but [military service] is not off the table.”

Of course, he might find in an NFL locker room part of what draws him to the armed forces.

“You see that camaraderie they have, it’s special,” Quessenberry said of his father’s Navy buddies. “It’s an intense bond that you get from basically that feeling you’re laying it all on the line. You just get that feeling when you’re around them that these guys would literally do anything for each other.

“It’s something you only find in the military and on the football field.”

He’s probably not going to resort to that just yet, as he could go as high as the third round.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Quessenberry may join military if NFL doesn’t work”
  1. tlmoon2112 says: Apr 15, 2013 2:54 PM

Semper Fi Brother!

2. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 15, 2013 2:55 PM

Nothing at all wrong with a military career. It won’t pay as much, but sometimes rewards aren’t exclusively financial.

3. melkipershero says: Apr 15, 2013 2:55 PM

Good for him.

4. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 15, 2013 3:00 PM

Quessenberry looks like a very good offensive line prospect with the versatility to play more than one position. He performed well at the Senior Bowl and at the combine.

However I don’t think it’s wise to make these kind of statements with the draft just around the corner. Don’t want to give teams any reason to have doubts by looking like your focus may be on the military. Just sayin’.

5. birdobeamen says: Apr 15, 2013 3:06 PM

As a Navy man myself, this story makes me feel good.

6. humb0lt says: Apr 15, 2013 3:15 PM

This San Jose State alum thinks Quessenberry would look good wearing powder blue and lightning bolts.

7. larryboodry says: Apr 15, 2013 3:16 PM

Sounds like he has his head on straight…Luck to him in whatever career path (or paths) he ends up taking.

8. cherrybop says: Apr 15, 2013 3:28 PM

Hope they don’t pull a Pat Tillman on him while he’s serving in Afghanistan (where he would definitely be headed if he enlists, IMO).

That whole incident and cover-up was sad. No wonder why Pat was an atheist; things like that can make it hard to believe in God sometimes.

9. tiggerblood says: Apr 15, 2013 3:28 PM

He’ll be a steal in the third, sounds like he’s a young man that’s got it all figured out. Unlike the bafoons who destroyed their hotel room at the combine.

10. ead1 says: Apr 15, 2013 3:37 PM

“melkipershero says: Apr 15, 2013 2:55 PM

Good for him.

Pat Tillman should get WAY more attention for what he did. Didn’t he turn down something like 30 million to enlist?”

No, it was 3 years/3.6 million total, a far cry from 30 million, but still more than the army was paying…

11. majormeatcurtains says: Apr 15, 2013 3:47 PM

“It’s something you only find in the military and on the football field.”
    Careful where you say that. Half the DERPS on here are just killing time while their wizards powers regenerate so they can save their buddies in world of warcraft. Hot pockets and camaraderie baby!

12. godofwine330 says: Apr 15, 2013 4:02 PM

As a 12 year Navy vet (5 active, 7 reserve including a stint in Kuwait in 2006) it is an honorable career, but not when there are at a minimum hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table for you as an NFL player. If not for the Navy I would not be where I am making what I make with the ability to take care of my family. If that is what he wants to do then, hey, who am I to say anything. If he does he will become my brother as all veterans are brothers and sisters to me.

Hoo-Rah!

13. hawkasuaras says: Apr 15, 2013 4:06 PM

Obviously meat has never played world of warcraft and I would love to see the hawks pick this kid up.

14. anthonyjnovelli says: Apr 15, 2013 4:21 PM

Translation ” When my nfl carreer does not work out im going to take the easy way out and go to the navy”
    Thumbs down me all you want.

15. melkipershero says: Apr 15, 2013 4:33 PM

Anthony, of all days you post that b.s. today? You’d last about 2 seconds in that so called “easy way out.”

16. mackcarrington says: Apr 15, 2013 8:05 PM

I would like to thank you in advance for your service in North Korea.