Saints’ Vicodin case still open

128544860 Getty Images

Three years ago, the Saints’ Super Bowl afterglow became interrupted by a lawsuit from a disgruntled former employee, who claimed that the team’s Vicodin stash was being abused by at least one member of the coaching staff.

The ability of the Saints to force former director of security Geoff Santini’s case into arbitration pushed the case out of the public eye, causing most to forget about it and those who didn’t to wonder if anything would ever come of it.  (Santini and the Saints eventually settled the claims.)

An extensive Washington Post article from Sally Jenkins and Rick Maese regarding drug use by football teams mentions that federal authorities “are weighing a hefty fine against the Saints” for failure to properly store, control, and dispense prescription medication.  Three years after the fact, the DEA investigation has been completed.  Prosecutors in Louisiana are assessing the case.

As explained in the report, most teams now use an outside company to deliver prescription medication and to maintain detailed logs of the drugs that are dispensed.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Saints’ Vicodin case still open”
  1. gbmickey says: Apr 15, 2013 9:37 AM

Let me guess, Vitt and the fans will once again claim innocence and the NFL is just out to get them. You hear it in college and given all the controversy in N.O. there seems to be a lack of institutional control.

2. cwwgk says: Apr 15, 2013 9:40 AM

Joe Vitt circumventing the rules? That can’t be true. Goodell must have doctored the video.

3. hoops737 says: Apr 15, 2013 9:40 AM

Take away another 2nd round pick!

4. pacificnw7722 says: Apr 15, 2013 9:44 AM

“The evidence includes video of assistant head coach/linebackers coach Joe Vitt removing painkillers from a drug cabinet at the team’s facility.”

When questioned about the person in the video Vitt replied: Who Dat?

5. onbucky96 says: Apr 15, 2013 10:10 AM

Joe Vitt! You got some ‘splanning to do!

6. melkipershero says: Apr 15, 2013 10:59 AM

They have video and its been 3 years? Nothing like our legal system.

7. 4thqtrsaint says: Apr 15, 2013 11:05 AM

No, Saints fans don’t deny this one. You can tone down the sarcasm now. Thank you, drive thru please.

8. petedutcher says: Apr 15, 2013 11:28 AM

I once had respect for the Saints. Once. Now they cheat more than the Patriots.

Being a Bucs fan, I suppose I should be happy a division rival is suffering like this, but instead I’m embarrassed for the NFL.

9. melkipershero says: Apr 15, 2013 12:01 PM

How is popping pills cheating?

10. slidellsaint says: Apr 15, 2013 12:11 PM

the only people who care about this story are saints haters. seriously, do you care if a coach takes pills? whatever. hate on haters

11. 49erstim says: Apr 15, 2013 12:32 PM

Somebody better explain this to Drew Brees FAST!

12. biggestsaintsfanever says: Apr 15, 2013 1:01 PM

Apr 15, 2013 11:28 AM

I once had respect for the Saints. Once. Now they cheat more than the Patriots.

———————————————————————————

Being a Bucs fan, you have enough problems w/out commenting on the Saints.

13. stayfloating says: Apr 15, 2013 2:14 PM

Wow, the ignorance that permeates haters is astounding. Saying the Saints “cheat more than the Patriots” when the Pats were stealing opponents plays and the Saints offered a bonus to who lays out an opponent with an on field hit?! In old football they give credit to “gridiron” greats who showed such strength. Now people want to say the Saints are cheaters because a linebacker coach was pinching pills?…not steroids mind you, but painkillers. While it’s not kosher I certainly could think of worse but it’s definately not cheating. I guess when you win a Bowl then start breaking long-standing, NFL offensive records it puts a target on you, I don’t know. I know this: if you don’t have resistance you’re probably going the same way, oh, and ignorance isn’t always bliss but easy to laugh at ;)

14. calv23 says: Apr 15, 2013 2:25 PM

I am a Saints fan, and I believe that this is the real crime that Payton, Vitt, and Loomis were punished for last year. But instead of punishing a few coaches for nabbing pills, Goodell held his trump card and used it the following year as part of the “bountygate” PR efforts to show that he was serious about player safety.

I also see this as a strong reason why Payton and Vitt aren’t fighting back too hard, or suing Mike Cerullo like they’d threatened too. Goodell had something over them, so they were the perfect scapegoats to use for “bountygate.” No, I’m not defending the Saints’ staff, (and most of us think they should’ve gotten a game or two for the “bounty” talk they did get caught spouting) but I think there’s a bigger picture here.

15. johnclaytonsponytail says: Apr 15, 2013 4:45 PM

Bucs fans are far more embarrassing for the NFL with their lack of support. They need to wake up and not concern themselves with others issues. Keep acting like women in the hair salon.

16. tavia47 says: Apr 16, 2013 9:53 AM

Why don’t you haters just effen go away!! Leave us alone.

17. meldrel says: Apr 16, 2013 5:24 PM

Interesting when you check out the link – the Saints are not the only NFL team mentioned in the article.

It’s so much more fun to hate the Saints though, right?