Buddy Nix hasn’t given Jairus Byrd much thought

Jairus Byrd AP

We know that Bills General Manager Buddy Nix is thinking about quarterbacks these days and we also know what he hasn’t been thinking about.

That would be safety Jairus Byrd, who, as expected, did not report for the start of the team’s offseason workouts this week. Byrd has not signed the franchise tender that the Bills placed on him earlier this offseason, which makes it no surprise that he’s opted out of the team’s voluntary workouts.

Byrd would like to sign a long-term deal with the team, but Nix didn’t inspire much optimism about that happening in the near future. While the team would like to reach an agreement, Nix said that Byrd’s absence isn’t keeping him up at night.

“There’s been some contact, and we’re making some effort to try to get a long-term deal done with Jairus. But — and I don’t mean this in a bad way — I haven’t given it much thought,” Nix said, via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. “I don’t mean that we’re not interested because we certainly need him, and eventually he’ll probably be here. But it’s nothing we can do except try to get a contract done, and if it doesn’t work, then the ball’s in his court. He comes when, basically, he gets ready. What we’re trying to do is get our guys ready that we got here, and we got them all here but one, so that’s not bad.”

The two sides have until July 15th to reach a long-term agreement and Nix’s stance suggests there’s not much urgency on Buffalo’s part to make something happen right away. Assuming Byrd feels the same way about signing the tag, status quo will rule the day a while longer.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Buddy Nix hasn’t given Jairus Byrd much thought”
  1. melkipershero says: Apr 16, 2013 4:09 PM

Probably not the best way to say it even if he meant it not in a bad way.

2. mackcarrington says: Apr 16, 2013 4:18 PM

I’ve tried to keep an open book on Buddy Nix, but now I’ve just closed it. This old coot needs to go !!!!

3. JSpicoli says: Apr 16, 2013 4:19 PM

Gil he aint.

4. tomcous says: Apr 16, 2013 4:20 PM

Not very eloquent , but considering he has a draft to prepare for that is 2 weeks away, worrying about a player the Bills already have the rights to wouldn’t necessarily by a wise use of time.

Not to mention who says Buddy is even going to be around before the beginning of summer camp. My gut says he’s gone following the draft.

5. sl781 says: Apr 16, 2013 4:51 PM

This is why Nix should have been dismissed when Wilson turned the team over to Whaley.

Instead it’s the same knucklehead making decisions expecting different results.

6. EJ says: Apr 16, 2013 4:57 PM

I second what tomcous said, Nix most likely will not be here after the draft, It’s time to hand the reins over to Doug Whaley. I am willing to bet that Russ Brandon announces the change a few weeks after the draft.

That said, Byrd will get the contract he wants/deserves before the start of the new season. Byrd is a top 5 Safety, I can’t see the Bills letting him sign elsewhere next year, he’s just too damn important.

7. eatitfanboy says: Apr 16, 2013 5:35 PM

The impression I get every time I hear Buddy Nix speak is that the man is simply a little over his head.

The Peter Principle states that employees tend to rise to their level of incompetence. That is, they keep getting promoted because they are good at there job until they wind up getting a job that they aren’t good at. I think that’s what happened here.

I’ve read the people on here who say they believe he will be replaced after the draft. While I am not saying that’s not true, it doesn’t seem to make too much sense to me. If you already knew you needed to make a change, why in the world would you waste another draft before pulling the trigger?

8. jpaq68 says: Apr 16, 2013 6:46 PM

How can he give anything much thought with the Ryan Nassib swimsuit calendar photo shoot running through his head?

9. rajbais says: Apr 16, 2013 7:40 PM

Buddy Nix hasn’t given a thought for a lot of things in Buffalo.