Nix defends quarterback class, says not a reach at 8

Buffalo Bills' General Manager Nix speaks to the media about the hiring of Marrone as head coach in Orchard Park, New York Reuters

Bills general manager Buddy Nix is a respected evaluator, and by all accounts a good and decent human being.

He just might not be much of a poker player.

Nix, who has been advocating the need for the Bills to draft a franchise quarterback for months, said this was a good year to do so. While most others are disparaging this year’s class, Nix defended it Tuesday.

This quarterback class is better than everybody thinks it is,” Nix said, via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. “It’s better than the publicity they get.

“Five or six of those guys — maybe seven — do a lot of things good and do them good enough to win. This is not a standard answer. I’ve said this from the start, that two or three of these guys will be franchise quarterbacks. I believe that.”

It is certainly in Nix’s best interest that he’s right. Many have thought from the moment they hired Syracuse coach Doug Marrone, that Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib was the guy who’d end up there.

So if Nix wants folks to buy into the Bills’ drafting of a passer such as Nassib with the eighth overall pick, it helps if he sets the stage for that picked to be accepted as something other than a reach.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Nix defends quarterback class, says not a reach at 8”
  1. EJ says: Apr 16, 2013 2:32 PM

I want a QB drafted so much that I’ll accept a QB at #8, but I don’t think that is what Nix is doing. I think he will try for Patterson at #8 and hope for Nassib or Manuel to be there come the second pick.

2. nnagi says: Apr 16, 2013 2:42 PM

how does this guy still have a job…oh, wait, ralph wilson still owns the team

3. greysolon says: Apr 16, 2013 2:43 PM

Nassib and Tyler Wilson look like the only ones with a good chance to be regular NFL starters.

4. eatitfanboy says: Apr 16, 2013 2:46 PM

It wouldn’t make much sense for him to pump up this QB class if his hope was to have those guys still on the board in the second round.

Of course, this isn’t exactly Ron Wolf we’re talking about here, so I suppose anything is possible.

5. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 16, 2013 2:50 PM

He’s right. Smith, Barkley, and Manuel could all step in and play.

6. sportsmeccabi says: Apr 16, 2013 3:05 PM

I said the same thing about the 2011 class.
    My prediction was 4: Cam Newton, Ryan Mallett, Colin Kapernick and Jake Locker.

I was 2 for 4, but Locker and Mallett still have stuff to prove, if not yet a bust. Also Dalton turned out okay.

Everyone criticized that draft class too. But in this draft I see guys who are just going to be above average: My picks are Geno Smith, Tyler Wilson, and Matt Barkley. I could see Tyler Bray develop into one too, but I doubt it.

7. wrenches2pipes says: Apr 16, 2013 3:23 PM

Did Nix just say 1 of 7 might be a good QB in this year’s draft? He should read tea leaves for a living.

8. tennesseeoilers says: Apr 16, 2013 3:25 PM

What if the scouts are as off the mark with this QB draft class as they were the notorious class of 2006? Remember how Vince Young, Matt Leinert and Jay Cutler were supposed to perform? Heck, the class of ’13 could prove to be the stuff of legend. :)

9. oldbyrd says: Apr 16, 2013 3:28 PM

I have never seen a guy so overrated.

10. phreakin says: Apr 16, 2013 3:39 PM

Put it this way, if they DON’T draft Nassib I’d be completely shocked. what better way for the former Syracuse coach to run his offense than his college QB?

11. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Apr 16, 2013 4:10 PM

I see this year’s quarterback class, and I’m reminded of 1999.

12. dabillsrule says: Apr 16, 2013 6:20 PM

GO BILLS!

13. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 16, 2013 6:20 PM

This QB class is a joke and even the most casual NFL fan is aware of that fact. Either a smoke screen or Nix is off his meds.

14. slickster35 says: Apr 16, 2013 9:56 PM

There will be several franchise QB’s in this draft.

Nassib isn’t one of them though.

15. raiderapologist says: Apr 16, 2013 10:46 PM

slickster35 says: Apr 16, 2013 9:56 PM

There will be several franchise QB’s in this draft.

Nassib isn’t one of them though.
    ————
    Several? Doubtful. Look at the 2005 draft. Smith, Rodgers, Campbell, Frye, Walter, and Greene all went in the first three rounds, and only one of them is a franchise QB. And it isn’t Smith.

16. thewardenbb says: Apr 18, 2013 11:16 PM

Buddy, hasn’t made a horrible pick since he has been GM, now he hasn’t made a HOF pick either……… its tough, now I don’t disapprove of Nicks but you people that say “I can’t believe he still has a job” is just insane. You play fantasy and think you know everything about drafting players. Where you are in the order has everything to do with it, and you don’t always have the top 3 pick… the sure pick, so stop it with all your banter!

17. thewardenbb says: Apr 18, 2013 11:19 PM

They are drafting a QB at 8, now I don’t like it but they have to try and win games. QB is the way to do it, they move the offense and if you can’t score points in the league these days your beat like stinky feet……..go guard then QB……….but they won’t.