Randy Starks won’t be hanging around Miami much

Miami Dolphins v Cincinnati Bengals Getty Images

Dolphins defensive tackle Randy Starks doesn’t have much compelling reason to hang around Miami yet, so he’s not going to.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Starks won’t be taking part in the team’s voluntary offseason conditioning.

He signed his franchise tender to guarantee his $8.45 million salary, but is still hoping for a long-term deal with the team. He does plan to show up for the mandatory minicamp (which he has to, since he signed), but won’t be around for the lifting and running.

It’s a simple negotiating move, and no more surprising than the unsigned franchise players not showing up for their teams, either.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Randy Starks won’t be hanging around Miami much”
  1. miriam45 says: Apr 16, 2013 12:47 PM

Randy, be real. Have you seen the contracts this year? Be very happy with $8.45

2. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 16, 2013 1:13 PM

Not to mention he’s not very productive as a player. He never deserved to be Franchised in the first place. It’s just another huge mistake by Miami if they don’t have a plan to trade him.

3. hehateme2 says: Apr 16, 2013 1:15 PM

thestrategyexpert says: Apr 16, 2013 1:13 PM

You don’t have a clue to what your talking about. Why not stick to teams you know in future?

4. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 16, 2013 1:28 PM

hehateme2:

Because I feel I have an adequate understanding of the player’s value as it relates to what I think Miami should be trying to do in order to get much better for the future.

5. daddyb1gdrawz says: Apr 16, 2013 1:28 PM

thestrategyexpert says:
    Apr 16, 2013 1:13 PM

Do everyone a favor and not comment on situations you have no understanding.

6. 69finfan says: Apr 16, 2013 1:36 PM

Strategy; NO YOU DON’T!

7. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 16, 2013 1:43 PM

69finfan:

Well then you have nothing to worry about. Go win that title then if you can!

8. igotgamenj says: Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM

8.5 million guaranteed for not even a full year of work and not showing up …Lol

9. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 16, 2013 1:47 PM

daddyb1gdrawz:

I totally agree with you and think it’s inappropriate to comment on that which one doesn’t know much about. I would never do that if I didn’t think I had a well thought out point of view. In this case I felt that I did so I proceeded to deposit a comment that described my opinion. You’ll never see a comment from me that I don’t feel strongly about to the point that it’s worth bringing up for the record despite knowing many may not want to hear what I have to say. I am driven to speak from the heart about my football related opinions.

10. tiggerblood says: Apr 16, 2013 1:48 PM

Lack of production? If you’re using stats as production tackles/sacks then you’re not looking deep enough. It’s tough to gauge a DT through stats alone. They’re main job is to keep linemen off the linebackers who make the tackle and as for sack production look to how well the DE’s did. It’s tough to find a 300 lbs. + DT who has a quick first step to blow through the A gap they are very rare why do you think everyone is looking for a baby Sapp every year in the draft? So look to the DE’s and linebackers and tell me how well Starks did. Also I believe the Bengals found a baby Sapp in Geno Atkins, had to get that in Who Dey!!

11. dante0145 says: Apr 16, 2013 1:48 PM

Starks is a beast! Just cause he doesn’t light up your fantasy football team doesn’t mean he’s not worth what he’s getting paid.

12. mikeb1354 says: Apr 16, 2013 1:48 PM

I think the bigger story here is that he is the only member of the team not at voluntary practices….

13. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 16, 2013 2:03 PM

danteo145:

And just because he isn’t lighting up my fantasy football team doesn’t mean he is worth his contract either.

14. vaphinfan says: Apr 16, 2013 2:29 PM

Starks is pretty good but it doesn’t sound like hes going to do the phins much good this year with this kind of attitude. I’m sure hes working out on his own but its not the same as working with the team. Being there and players see you working hard goes much farther than doing your own thing.

15. jimmyt says: Apr 16, 2013 2:30 PM

Fantasy football is for basement dwelling losers.

16. vaughnorange says: Apr 16, 2013 2:32 PM

Any real Dolphins fan knows what a valuable part of this defense Randy Starks is. …..and that the new logo sucks.

17. Deof Movestofca says: Apr 16, 2013 2:44 PM

@igotgamenj: Huh? Starks has played and started every game for Miami for the last four years.

@thestrategyexpert: It’s a free world and you’re entitled to your own opinion. I’m not going to claim that Starks is the absolutest bestest DT ever to play the game, but to describe a player who is a two-time PB (including the past year), recorded 4.5 sacks last year from a DT position, is a versatile DL etc., etc., and once again with feeling etc. as “not very productive” points to a lack of football knowledge.

18. iknowfb says: Apr 16, 2013 3:01 PM

Strategist…

Have you not noticed Starks ability to collapse a pocket? Or how about stuff an assigned gap against the run? Or his ability to play 2 gaps against the zone attack when were in base D…

No your right he’s undeserving.

Anyway, what they should have done is pay Starks his long term deal and franchise Jake Long which is a player with something to prove and surely wouldn’t have held out.

19. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 16, 2013 3:02 PM

Deof Movestofca:

Sorry I’m not following you why a conclusion that a football player is not productive would suggest a lack of football knowledge. To me such a statement suggests the complete opposite, it suggests that a person has taken the time to complete an evaluation and that was the conclusion.

I never said anything about “lack of productivity” having anything to do with numbers on a stat sheet as I have what I believe is a keen eye in identifying talent and I am very familiar with Starks as I researched him a lot back when he was in the draft and I follow the NFL religiously and spend a great deal of time in learning the game and I work every day to enhance my football knowledge further. There is a lot of time and effort and I believe tremendous football knowledge behind my viewpoints.

20. harrisonhits2 says: Apr 16, 2013 3:18 PM

Funny how the guys who stay away from these offseason strength and conditioning programs always seem to be quickly injured when they do finally come back.

How greedy that he thinks well over 8 mil isn’t being paid enough to participate in the entire offseason program. Disgusting.

21. iknowfb says: Apr 16, 2013 3:27 PM

Harrisonhitz2:

If you did a job that almost guaranteed you a debilitating injury.. You’d want some guaranteed long term money as well.

22. Deof Movestofca says: Apr 16, 2013 4:56 PM

“Sorry I’m not following you why a conclusion that a football player is not productive would suggest a lack of football knowledge.”
    When such a conclusion flies in the face of facts and ignores what a player has done, that’s exactly what it suggests.

“I have what I believe is a keen eye in identifying talent….”
    Probably somewhere close to 99.999999999999999% of football fans feel the same way about themselves. Doesn’t make it true, though.

“I am very familiar with Starks as I researched him a lot back when he was in the draft and I follow the NFL religiously and spend a great deal of time in learning the game and I work every day to enhance my football knowledge further.”
    The amount of time spent researching a subject doesn’t necessarily make one an expert in a particular field, as one can draw the wrong conclusions from the data.

23. vaphinfan says: Apr 16, 2013 5:03 PM

Iknofb……9 million is a lot this year and if he gets hurt or not someone will sign him for descent money next year. Usually when players dont work with their team they usually do end up hurt…..esp at his age

24. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 16, 2013 5:10 PM

Deof Movestofca:

Fine then help yourself to making a case for why the facts support that he is a valuable keeper given his salary level. These facts that you feel prove his productivity are important to measure up against the cost that it takes to acquire said productivity. Explain how you see things playing out for the Dolphins such that there best option is to keep Starks and I’ll be happy to hear what you have to say. I’ve thought about it a lot and read all of the comments here and I’m still firmly of the opinion they should trade him like yesterday.

25. iknowfb says: Apr 16, 2013 5:38 PM

Vaphinfan,

Yes it’s alot of money in our every day standards, however he’s played at a top 5 dt level. He’s been solid and never been a headache. At the end of the day he will play, but with some hesitation which can also result in injury. I just feel that he’s solid and deserves his payday. These guys can get cut at any time so you can’t fault them when they try and squeeze every guaranteed dollar possible out of these teams. Gotta side with the player on this one.

26. finsnation101 says: Apr 17, 2013 2:57 PM

This is just an excuse to be lazy. When are these guys gonna realize that they are making way to much money in the first place. And then to get that money and say “well im not going to voluntary camp because i want a long term deal even though they still gave me more money than most people will ever see in there life” it makes you wonder why people become so greedy.