Sabby Piscitelli, Matt Ware get chance to land with Jaguars

Sabby Getty Images

The Jaguars will hold a voluntary minicamp this weekend, before the draft or the signing of undrafted free agents.  To get through the practices, the Jags need more players to go along with the 59 currently under contract.

And so the Jags have invited 18 veterans to participate on a workout basis.

The group is headlined by former NFL safety Sabby Piscitelli and former NFL safety Matt Ware.

Piscitelli, a second-round pick of the Buccaneers in 2007, was out of football in 2012.  The prior year, he appeared in 11 games with two starts for the Chiefs.  He started 15 games for the Bucs in 2009.

Ware, a third-round pick of the Eagles in 2004, spent two years in Philly and five in Arizona.  Ware was cut before the 2011 regular season, and he has been out of the NFL since then.

The other 16 participants will be defensive tackle Ryan Baker, safety Chris Banjo, tackle Patrick Brown, tight end DeMarco Cosby, cornerback Kennard Cox, defensive end Pannel Egboh, linebacker Stephen Franklin, center Dan Gerberry, linebacker D.J. Holt, center Tyler Horn, receiver Jaymar Johnson, linebacker Jameson Konz, tackle James Lee, defensive end Jerome Raymond, receiver Owen Spencer, and tight end Nick Tow-Arnett.

In the offseason, teams may have up to 90 players on the active roster.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
17 Responses to “Sabby Piscitelli, Matt Ware get chance to land with Jaguars”
  1. listerineman says: Apr 16, 2013 9:57 AM

sabby still finds a team that is willing to pay him money….amazing.

2. forty9asty says: Apr 16, 2013 9:58 AM

Sabby Piscitelli…still one of the “best names” in football.

3. dnelson21 says: Apr 16, 2013 9:58 AM

I would expect one or two of these guys to possibly make the team. Piscitelli is still fairly young with some experience. Chris Prosinski doesn’t look to be a valuable starter in the NFL, so hopefully they can find a reliable SS either through this route or the draft.

4. bucrightoff says: Apr 16, 2013 10:03 AM

Sabby was always good for a big play or two to go with his 60 or so missed or out of place tackle attempts.

5. whysomanylosers says: Apr 16, 2013 10:07 AM

Sabby “Misscitelli” whiffed on more tackles than any other safety I have ever seen. But was always the first guy to jump up and down to celebrate someone else tackles. Dude should spend less time looking at himself in the mirror and more time studying film.

6. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 16, 2013 10:07 AM

Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe fire…..

7. armeniandelight4 says: Apr 16, 2013 10:55 AM

Matt Ware…there’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. As an Eagles fan, I’ll always remember his game-winning TD return on a blocked kick against the Chargers. One of my fondest sports memories.

8. milkmandanimal says: Apr 16, 2013 10:58 AM

Sabby Piscitelli is without exaggeration the singly worst-tackling “defender” I have ever seen in all my years watching football, and the day the Bucs cut him I literally danced around my office.

9. ravenatorlikesboysbeeholez says: Apr 16, 2013 11:00 AM

I remember when Leftwich then Garrard were playing decently. Fred Taylor, Jones Drew, Reggie Nelson, and Matt Jones combined for 28 TD’s one year. The defense was MEAN. Rashean Mathis never had a bad game. Nobody wanted any part of Jacksonville. Now in fantasy I pick up any D/ST who gets to face them.

10. jagsfan1 says: Apr 16, 2013 11:12 AM

never seen Sabby play…but I have to go with the opinions of the posters…sounds like the dude is a horrible tackler.

11. granadafan says: Apr 16, 2013 11:20 AM

When you’re desperate for work, you’ll go to the most miserable places to just get a paycheck.

12. billyjaguar says: Apr 16, 2013 11:30 AM

Its gonna be a long year on the first coast….

13. kahnsbushymustache says: Apr 16, 2013 12:18 PM

Let’s not make more of this than it is… 18 players were brought in as “practice players” according to the team’s website. They’re warm bodies to help fill the field during minicamp, not brought in to play this Fall.

14. longsufferingbillsfan says: Apr 16, 2013 3:41 PM

I suppose “warm body” is something Piscitelli might be able to handle.

15. therillest says: Apr 16, 2013 4:17 PM

I don’t care how you try to spin it to a positive. Good teams aren’t doing this…

16. jagsnoles904 says: Apr 16, 2013 4:51 PM

Jagsfan1 says: Apr 16, 2013 11:12 AM

never seen Sabby play…but I have to go with the opinions of the posters… sounds like the dude is a horrible tackler.

^^^ pointless post.

17. topshelfrxtech says: Jul 16, 2013 4:00 AM

Sabby was by far the best tackler I have ever seen, in college. He was literally in on the tackle of every play. He has tons of heart and work ethic. Some great college players dont do well once they get to the NFL, but hopefully he will find a new home and get in his “comfort zone”, get his confidence up and running again. I would love to be able to watch him play again! To the poster, above, regarding your “mirror comment”. He is actually a very humble guy, and genuinely nice to his fans. Don’t discount him because he’s also an attractive guy… Take him Jacksonville! You won’t be disappointed!