Vick’s splitting reps, but says “This is still my team”

Philadelphia Eagles v New York Giants Getty Images

Michael Vick and Nick Foles might have split the first team reps at Eagles minicamp.

But Vick has a definite feeling of how things are going to turn out.

This is still my team,” Vick said, via Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News. “This is still my job.”

Vick said there had been a good deal of read-option plays installed. That would obviously play to his advantage over Foles.

“I felt like I made a big jump from yesterday to today,” Vick said. “Actually going out there and practicing and seeing it against different defenses. I was very accurate today, guys running wide open — and I think that’s the system — but guys were running wide open, our defense did a great job, but I was able to make some tight throws. I feel like the learning curve for me in this system is coming along.”

Of course, he should probably bulk up too.

If he’s going to be on the run, he’s going to take more hits. And since Vick’s missed 20 games the last three seasons, there’s probably a good reason to have Foles ready to work with the ones as well.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Vick’s splitting reps, but says “This is still my team””
  1. commonsensedude says: Apr 17, 2013 4:55 PM

Vick: “This is still my team”

Tebow: “Hey!! He stole my line!!”

2. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 17, 2013 4:55 PM

Am I sensing that Vick is getting nervous that the Eagles might select Geno Smith and trying to reinforce his position as the QB? Sounds like he is saying it could be a major problem and distraction and potential setback if they don’t look at another position.

Nice that he made such a “big jump” today, not the kind of jump that Geno Smith is privileged to experience and progress as well as Vick surely will now; how convenient.

3. captainwisdom8888 says: Apr 17, 2013 5:09 PM

I’m glad Vick has this mindset, he’s our starting QB after all. Roseman and the Eagles haven’t acted as if they are gushing over Geno Smith, but the last time the Birds were picking in the top 5, they took a QB. Don’t be surprised if it happens again.

I can see it now: Eagles personnel taking Geno over to get a cheesesteak after draft day(At Geno’s Steaks). The kid already has his own cheesesteak joint in the city…the writing is on the wall!

4. blockedshotnyr says: Apr 17, 2013 5:49 PM

Once again, Vick shows that he feels he is entitled to the job. Hope Foles beats him out – if it is a true competition – he will.

5. eaglesince86 says: Apr 17, 2013 5:49 PM

Love the confidence mike vick…honestly i could care less who starts as long as i dont see the same embarrassment i saw last year im good either way. still say vick has the edge though

6. DonkeyStick says: Apr 17, 2013 5:50 PM

The guy “whos team it is” should be drafted in about 10 days.

7. logicalvoicesaysneedswaybettercrazypills says: Apr 17, 2013 5:52 PM

dont worry Vick will be hurt by week 3 and then it will be Foles

8. signaturewin says: Apr 17, 2013 5:53 PM

Michael Vick had the shortest prime in professional sports history. About 8 games in 2010.

9. dowhatifeellike says: Apr 17, 2013 5:57 PM

It’s Vick’s team for the first 5 or 6 weeks… then it goes to whatever healthy pocket QB is on the roster at the time.

10. smushrodriguez says: Apr 17, 2013 5:58 PM

Vick will take LESS hits in this system. Vick is a competitor – not entitled. Eagles will not draft Geno Smith. Geno has two things that Chip hates: small hands and 32 fumbles.

11. majormeatcurtains says: Apr 17, 2013 6:04 PM

Glad he’s almost to the top of the learning curve. Another 5-6 years and he’ll be awesome.

12. nzayir says: Apr 17, 2013 6:27 PM

I was a Vick supporter until last season. I truly thought that the 2011 disaster wasn’t his fault. I was dead wrong.

I can’t bear to watch Vick in an Eagles uniform anymore. Between all the terrible interceptions, the fumbles, and all the sacks he takes I’m going to develop an ulcer if he keeps wearing midnight green. He doesn’t make good reads, has awful pocket awareness and game management skills and continues to make the same mistakes he has for his entire career. He will sink you Chip.

The worst part is that he talks like he’s one step away from becoming a great player. When will this guy learn? How many times have we heard Vick spout the same garbage about taking the “next step?” He’s an awful quarterback. Please Chip Kelly start Dixon, Foles, ANY rookie, heck bring back Mike McMahon. Anybody but Vick.

13. slammincamnewton says: Apr 17, 2013 6:27 PM

Geno called. Said to make some room, and eventually move.

14. officialgame says: Apr 17, 2013 6:52 PM

Vick is a competitor and that’s what he should say. Foles should feel the same way. In 4 months Kelly will name his starter.

15. surefooted1 says: Apr 17, 2013 6:59 PM

In week 3 after practice, when Vick is asked about his job.

“I still feel as if it’s my team. I have to go out there and practice like that everyday.”

16. eaglesnoles05 says: Apr 17, 2013 7:16 PM

Draft another position at 4, grab EJ Manuel later. He is a man.

17. kwjsb says: Apr 17, 2013 7:32 PM

Hey I’m Top Dog Here
    M.V.

18. vicvega422 says: Apr 17, 2013 7:33 PM

Foles played behind the same offensive line last year and clearly outplayed Vick from preseason through the season

19. schmedley69 says: Apr 17, 2013 7:49 PM

It had better be a true competition for the job, because ever since the Eagles have been “Vick’s team” they have been a complete embarrassment, on and off the field. The guy is just bad news.

20. citiciti says: Apr 17, 2013 8:46 PM

sounds like dog eat dog

21. birdzflyinhigh says: Apr 17, 2013 8:51 PM

As an eagles fan, these comments from Vick are very disappointing. His perceived entitlement to the starting job only shows he has learned nothing from his mistakes (on the field) over the passed two years. If he said something like “I understand this is an open competition and I still have a lot to prove that I could be and should be the starter, and this new system is the perfect opportunity to do that,” than I would be convinced he comprehends the situation he’s in. Unfortunately, he doesn’t, and whether he believes he’s the best fit for Kelly’s system, Nick Foles is a much smarter individual and will learn it faster.

22. lakermetskins says: Apr 17, 2013 9:17 PM

Vick should be awesome in this scheme:

You have to worry about Shady running,

You have to worry about vick running, and he’s still more than adequat passer(in fact he’ll have less options to scan ala rg3 in washington)

Theres plenty of speed on the outside and they’ll draft a better pass-catching tight end.

Those boys will be in shape for the up-tempo,

They’ll be good offensively, but he will get hurt and kill the season for the birds.

If only……

23. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 17, 2013 9:17 PM

Eagles are a train wreck and Vick is the engineer while Chip Kelly is the conductor.

24. usg1 says: Apr 17, 2013 9:19 PM

I am right there with you nzayir…… I was a Vick fan too. A lot of us got fooled into thinking Vick changed and was a better QB than before. Some of us are still fooled. We are wrong. He was always a bad QB, just a very athletic QB that can make plays with his feet to make up for his lack of passing ability. The 8 games in 2010 was a mirage. That was not the real him. The real him was the last 2 years. His speed is diminishing too. He will ruin every coach that thinks they can win with him. I am holding Chip Kelly to his word though that the best QB will be starting, because if that is the case, I expect Nick Foles to lead this team.

25. mackcarrington says: Apr 17, 2013 9:41 PM

“Guys were running wide open”…… Spoken on the second day of voluntary workouts in April.

26. attc1 says: Apr 17, 2013 10:31 PM

“If he’s going to be on the run, he’s going to take more hits. ”

FALSE. Without Andy Reid passing the ball 40-50 times a game behind an injury depleted Oline, Vick will take LESS hits

27. gcsuk says: Apr 17, 2013 10:58 PM

Hey, whatever happened to “mad55555″ and “7to10for6allday”? I swear, since the Giants won that 2nd SB in 5 years and the Eagles have blown for the last two years, I haven’t heard from those guys nowhere near as much…

28. dontouchmyjunk says: Apr 17, 2013 11:09 PM

There’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance. This is the same guy who said just about this time last year, that the Eagles were on their way to becoming a dynasty. The guy just doesn’t know how to keep his pie hole shut.

29. o0omorriso0o says: Apr 18, 2013 2:01 AM

Foles didnt clearly outplay vick or anyone. Vick and foles both struggled but at least vick engineered 3 last drive clutch wins including against the sb champions. Vick played against better defenses (browns, giants, giants, ravens, steelers, cardinals). Foles played weaker defenses and we still got blew out every week. I know u guys hate the man but think before u talk. Vick will be the starter and actually might play well in an offense suited to his strengths.

30. o0omorriso0o says: Apr 18, 2013 2:03 AM

What was he supposed to say? Also nice half ass reporting pft. Vick also stated “i think thats the mind set u have to have”. How are u half ass reporters employed?

31. joetoronto says: Apr 18, 2013 4:38 AM

“I was very accurate today, guys running wide open — and I think that’s the system — but guys were running wide open, our defense did a great job, but I was able to make some tight throws.”

Guys were running wide open, but the defense did a good job???

The guy’s made a career out of fooling people all because these people wanted and or want him to succeed.

He flat out stinks.

32. blockedshotnyr says: Apr 18, 2013 2:02 PM

o0omorriso0o says:
    Apr 18, 2013 2:01 AM

————————————————-

Foles and Vick had almost identical numbers, however, Foles played with significantly less talent on the offense due to injuries around him and Foles was a third round rookie quarterback not a 33 year old veteran quarterback. You can live with mistakes and a learning curve from a kid, Vick should be better than he is at this point… He’s not.

And the criticism he gets as a football player does not derive from any personal hatred in 95% of the cases (I will admit he does have his share of actual “haters”). He’s just not very good. He is well below average in several areas where a quarterback needs to be successful as outlined in multiple posts above. Watching him play the position is painful for anyone with a half-decent understanding of the game because he still plays like it’s recess football.

33. malachiofcourse says: Apr 18, 2013 3:10 PM

teams can’t do offense vs defense drills in this part of the offseason, so i’d hope they were wide open receivers….