Samari Rolle sues doctor who cleared Jarvis Jones

Samari Getty Images

As the 2013 draft approaches, questions remain regarding whether the spinal condition that forced linebacker Jarvis Jones from USC to Georgia will cause one or more teams to shy away from him in the draft.

And now there’s a question regarding prior work performed by the doctor who has given Jones clearance to play despite a case of spinal stenosis.

According to Mike Garafolo of USA Today, former NFL cornerback Samari Rolle has sued Dr. Craig Brigham for negligence arising from a spinal fusion surgery.

Brigham recently has written a letter explaining that Jones should be able to play football “without restriction,” and that he suffered only a stinger or a mild “spinal cord concussion” at USC.

Frankly, the question of whether Brigham botched Rolle’s surgery has no relevance to the question of whether Brigham accurately has diagnosed Jones’ condition.  Bad outcomes tend to get doctors sued, regardless of whether they actually committed malpractice.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Samari Rolle sues doctor who cleared Jarvis Jones”
  1. bandzz says: Apr 18, 2013 6:04 PM

I’m still waiting on the connection between Rolle and Jarvis…

2. granadafan says: Apr 18, 2013 6:07 PM

I have a narrowing of the spinal cord orifice and am susceptible to spinal cord concussions. It’s scary. I fell snowboarding (snowboarding for 15 years) and was paralyzed for awhile with weird tingling sensations throughout my lower torso. I can’t imagine playing a violent sport like football anymore and I played in high school. It’s just not worth it.

3. EJ says: Apr 18, 2013 6:19 PM

Something is fishy about this. So just because Rolle claimed malpractice means Jones was given the wrong diagnosis? I don’t believe it for a second, and neither should any NFL team.

4. nickster31 says: Apr 18, 2013 6:36 PM

Sounds to me like the Ravens are trying to get Jones to fall to the end of the 1st round.

5. mgdsquiggy17 says: Apr 18, 2013 7:19 PM

“The real question here is whether someone hoping to undermine Jones’ draft stock has leaked the documents or otherwise tipped the media off to the existence of Rolle’s lawsuit.”

You took it hook, line and sinker too.

6. kevingreene160sacknoHOFclub says: Apr 18, 2013 7:53 PM

For an NFL paycheck it would be hard to say no if blessed with the ability, but I worry about Jarvis Jones’ health for his own life. Outside of RB I can’t a see a more dangerous position for his condition.

7. billsfan1 says: Apr 18, 2013 7:57 PM

in case the concussion lawsuit doesnt go through for Rolle, he has this to fall back on

8. eaglesw00t says: Apr 18, 2013 8:23 PM

I agree with comment one. Rolle is suing. What exactly does that have to do with Jarvis Jones? I was eagerly awaiting a link other than they share a dr, but it never came. Terrible “reporting” there…

9. minnesotablizzard says: Apr 18, 2013 8:25 PM

I almost forgot about Samari Rolle. He was a great player

10. kwjsb says: Apr 18, 2013 8:53 PM

As if teams have not had him checked out by their doctors. Get real, they would never take the word of 1 doctor with the investment they are making.

11. steelerben says: Apr 19, 2013 8:15 AM

I’m just wondering how a doctor could call any kind of spinal cord bruising “mild”. If you have a bruise on your central nervous system, there isn’t anything mild about that.