Kicker Steven Hauschka expected to re-sign with Seahawks

Steven Hauschka AP

The Seattle Seahawks have spent the majority of the season upgrading a roster that was just 31 seconds away from the NFC Championship game last season.

But one place the Seahawks still had some uncertainty at was the kicker position. That uncertainty has been lessened as the Seahawks are expected to re-sign kicker Steven Hauschka a team source confirmed. The move was first reported by Aaron Levine of KCPQ-TV in Seattle.

Hauschka has played for the Seahawks the last two seasons. He was a perfect 23 for 23 on kicks inside 50 yards but hit just one of four attempts from 50-plus last season. He injured his calf during the first half of Seattle’s playoff win over the Washington Redskins and was placed on injured reserve the following week.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
18 Responses to “Kicker Steven Hauschka expected to re-sign with Seahawks”
  1. themackstrong says: Apr 19, 2013 1:52 AM

Another under 50, Hauscka is money. Give me that accuracy on Seattle over a big legged erratic kicker like Akers or Crosby anytime.

2. blackfootkiller says: Apr 19, 2013 2:23 AM

Meh…I hope the Hawks bring in a kid with a big leg to compete with Hauschka…
    Won’t matter much…
    When you’re scoring touchdowns…
    All he has to do is kick extra points.

Go Hawks!

3. spideysdog says: Apr 19, 2013 5:16 AM

now address the inside linebacker position and I’m a happy camper Mr. Schneider.

4. chawk12thman says: Apr 19, 2013 5:16 AM

good

5. scoobaj says: Apr 19, 2013 9:09 AM

I like Hauschka and his calm demeanor, and he’s well liked by his teammates. solid, quality kicker. 1 of 4 is not a big enough sample size to be worried about long range as they were tough kicks, a 47 yarder is just as tough and he’s perfect from that range

6. tbmidd says: Apr 19, 2013 9:41 AM

Nice….need a Midd kid in the NFL

7. dennisatunity says: Apr 19, 2013 10:04 AM

I think that’s great. 23 out of 23 is pretty darn good. And 4 attempts from outside of 50 yards is not much of a sample size to go on. He is a very good kicker.

8. dowhatifeellike says: Apr 19, 2013 10:51 AM

I hope he’s gotten over his yips for good. He was awful in Baltimore.

9. zrb17 says: Apr 19, 2013 10:53 AM

Like the accuracy inside 50, although if Hawks can’t get in the endzone I’m alot more comfortable knowing they are not going to have to attempt a placement punt front the 40 yd line. New NFL, you should definitely have a guy who can get you a 50-55 yarder. There was games lost last year due to the inability to even have confidence to attempt 50+ fg

10. zrb17 says: Apr 19, 2013 10:54 AM

What I mean buy that is at least bring in competent competition

11. orcahawk says: Apr 19, 2013 10:56 AM

23 for 23 inside the 50. Not bad at all. I’ll take this kind of consistency vs range any time. I would like to see his kickoffs get a little deeper though.

Hope the turf-monster from FedEx Field didn’t bite too hard…

12. cfeeley52 says: Apr 19, 2013 11:01 AM

This guy is a joke, there’s a reason the Ravens cut him back in ’09. He was so ashamed by his pitiful career in Baltimore that he tried to kill himself, but he even failed that attempt when he tried to kick the stool over and missed…

13. jprcox says: Apr 19, 2013 11:56 AM

I guess cost is a big issue here. I am sure this guy thinks he is the next coming of Morten Andersen.

With as many picks as Seattle has, and considering how few of positions they need help in, I would think cost savings here is a big deal for a guy that you know can’t kick past 50 yrds. A few games last year Seattle didn’t want to even try from 52, 54, 55, yards and punted.

I just cant see paying a kicker like that major bucks.

14. wilsonwillbreaku says: Apr 19, 2013 2:36 PM

With the league’s best D, why chance fgs over 50 yds? Pin them deep and give the ball back to Wilson 4 plays later.

15. seaeagle707 says: Apr 19, 2013 3:10 PM

With Russell Wilson, we’re seeing the red zone more, so Hauschka is the man to have.

With Red Bryant and Sherman, we have the perfect defense against opposing FG artists, but that’s bad for our kicker.

All those loooooooong placekicks.

GO HAWKS!!!

16. competitivecompetitioncompeter says: Apr 19, 2013 3:30 PM

spideysdog says: Apr 19, 2013 5:16 AM

____________________________________

Did you mean “outside”? A lot of people thought Bobby Wagner should have won D-ROY last year, I guess you weren’t one of them.

KJ Wright is solid as a Sam (former 4th rounder, btw), but I don’t know who would play Will if the season started today. Malcolm Smith or Korey Toomer, probably. Heck, maybe bump Irvin outside on some downs, since we’ve got those shiny new “4-3 scheme with 3-4 personnel” DEs that PCJS love.

DT would be a nice addition too, Scruggs and McDonald project as rotation guys to me. But you never know if somebody will impress, when given the opt’y.

17. seehawksgo says: Apr 19, 2013 5:45 PM

@competitivecompetitioncompeter:

I think you’re wrong about Scruggs. Don’t be surprised if he’s starting at 3T by midseason.

Also, depending on how the draft goes, Smith should start at WILL. But with Avril rumored to play time at SAM, and Winfield being so strong vs the run, I think weakside LB will be much less of a factor this season. We may even see multiple schemes that don’t even have a true WILL in the lineup.

18. in3webelieve says: Apr 20, 2013 2:44 PM

Spideysdog: your kidding right. Wagner had a great rookie season and played at easily a top 10 ilb performance. Hes going to be the anchor there for a while