Cousins will be ready, if Griffin isn’t

Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins pumps his fist to the crowd after leading the Redskins to a win during their NFL football game against the Cleveland Browns in Cleveland Reuters

Prime time is ready for RG3, starting in Week One of the 2013 NFL season.  But if RG3 isn’t ready, his backup will be.

I need to be ready and I will be,” Kirk Cousins said Saturday at Michigan State’s spring game, via the Detroit Free Press. “And I will benefit greatly from the reps I get throughout [offseason workouts] as well as training camp and preseason games this coming August.  I do believe he’s gonna heal very quickly.  I don’t want to put any pressure on him to heal as fast as an Adrian Peterson, did but it wouldn’t surprise me.”

Cousins doesn’t have to worry about putting pressure on Robert Griffin III.  Everyone else has already done that, including the league office.

The Redskins will host the Eagles on Monday, September 9 on ESPN.  If Griffin can’t play, it’ll be the Kirk Cousins show.

And if Cousins ends up getting injured, it’ll be Rex Grossman or Pat White under center for the Redskins.

In other words, Philly coach Chip Kelly will win the first game of his NFL career.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
35 Responses to “Cousins will be ready, if Griffin isn’t”
  1. elwaysmilehighdenver says: Apr 21, 2013 1:57 PM

Speaking of that spring game. The 2013 MSU offense sucked. Gonna be a long season in E Lansing!

2. qdog112 says: Apr 21, 2013 1:59 PM

Cousins has the talent to start in the NFL, but chance will come only after a trade next year – and that only after the Skins are sure RG3 has staying power.

Cousins could start in Jacksonville, Minn. and Arizona right now, among other places. Miami is one of those places and maybe Buffalo, Oakland and Tenn. too.

He will be ready.

3. 21stnprime says: Apr 21, 2013 2:00 PM

prince charming from shrek!

4. skinsfan6892 says: Apr 21, 2013 2:01 PM

Chip Kelly will be accepting his first loss. One of many. You heard it HERE first. HTTRG3!!!

5. leggett17 says: Apr 21, 2013 2:04 PM

Cousins is rascist for even thinking he can replace RGKNEE

6. doe22us says: Apr 21, 2013 2:04 PM

Does he have a choice???

7. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Apr 21, 2013 2:07 PM

It’s not the first game of the season he needs to be ready for.
    Griffin most likely wont get re-injured the first game… but rather a few games in.

8. peytonsneck18 says: Apr 21, 2013 2:12 PM

well captain flunk cousin better be ready all season cause IRG3 will be like D-rose, out all year!!!

9. peytonsneck18 says: Apr 21, 2013 2:15 PM

well captain kirk has better be ready then, cause IRG3 will be out all year, all hype and not deserving!!!

10. operwapitsai says: Apr 21, 2013 2:15 PM

shoot was it really that bad? I recorded it planning on watching it when I had the time, but im not so sure now….. go green! Kirk will be a much better starter than many in D.C. are expecting

11. eviltwin007 says: Apr 21, 2013 2:23 PM

I know this going to get deleted because Mr. Censor guy doesn’t like me for some reason. But anyways, Kirk, my hunch is you will be starting soon. RG3, IRG3, RGKnee, RGLeaf, and or RGBust (whatever you want to call the guy) problaby won’t finish the season. He’s not as much of a beast like Luck is. There is a reason why my Colts selected him #1 overall

12. floridaslonechargersfan says: Apr 21, 2013 2:27 PM

Being that I don’t pay that much attention to the Redskins (because they are irrelevant) I forgot the backup QB’s last name was Cousins and thought RGIII had cousins who were ready to play QB for Washington when I read the headline. Oops.

13. boyshole25 says: Apr 21, 2013 2:31 PM

He will do fine hopefully he plays the first 6 games hell I wouldn’t mind him playin the year out so Robert can completely heal

14. theclaim says: Apr 21, 2013 2:34 PM

Florio, you never cease to amaze me with your shallow jabs. Redskins WILL win this game. HTTR

15. logicailvoicesays says: Apr 21, 2013 2:42 PM

It doesn’t matter if RG3, Kirk Cousins, Pat White or the other RG3 is under center. No one can beat the Redskins.

16. bluepower77 says: Apr 21, 2013 2:53 PM

at last years draft everyone was like” why draft another qb after drafting Rg3!?”. We know why now. between rg3s fragility and shanahans recklessness, throw in a terrible field, Cousins IS Washingtons franchise qb.

17. skinsfantom says: Apr 21, 2013 3:00 PM

awesome rant above skinsfantom congrats, you hit the nail on the head

18. phillyphannn83 says: Apr 21, 2013 3:09 PM

Coach Kelly is going to get his first NFL win in week 1 regardless who starts. The foreskins will have a better chance in on Nov. 17th when there will be 10 weeks of game film to review, not week one when they’re basically the leagues guinea pigs for coach’s new innovative offense. End of my comment, is where I’m supposed to be like all the bandwagon ‘skins fans and write HTTR???

19. redskinsroost says: Apr 21, 2013 3:14 PM

Chip Kelly + Steve Spurrier + Nick Saban – Greg Schiano = Another College Coach NFL FAIL !

20. the3taveren says: Apr 21, 2013 3:27 PM

IPN18 or ChockingPeyton’spurple neck 18 is such an enormous troll our is that tool?

back to Indy with your second rate goofing looking QB.

21. seahawkshurtpeople says: Apr 21, 2013 3:37 PM

You know Shanahan’s gonna throw RGKnee out there whether he’s ready or not. It’s too bad Griffin went to the worst run franchise in the league he coulda been a contender.

Maybe they can resign Albert Haynesworth to help that defense out. -snicker-

What a bunch of loosers.

Hail to the SEAHAWKS!

22. skinsfantom says: Apr 21, 2013 3:48 PM

florio why are you deleting my awesome posts you pencilneckgeek

23. juliusanonymous says: Apr 21, 2013 3:56 PM

Kirk Cousins impressed me when he played last season. I have a feeling that he’ll be the starter in Washington in a few seasons, and much better than anyone realizes now. He’s definitely got the stuff to be a franchise QB.

24. iceburgskin202 says: Apr 21, 2013 4:00 PM

Alfred Morris will be ready!!!! HTTR!!!

25. cuda1234 says: Apr 21, 2013 4:01 PM

Another day, another shot at Rex Grossman. Don’t Grossman and Cousins BOTH have more NFL wins than Chip Kelley? And aren’t they BOTH better than anything Philly can trot out at qb?

And yes, it will be Cousins/Grossman leading the Redskins for much of the next decade while media-darling RGIII sits out with injuries.

26. boyshole25 says: Apr 21, 2013 4:40 PM

Hahah this idiot saying what a bunch of loosers hahahaha learn how to spell moron

27. skinsfansince71 says: Apr 21, 2013 6:04 PM

skinsfantom says: Apr 21, 2013 3:48 PM

florio why are you deleting my awesome posts you pencilneckgeek

I think Mike Florio is peytonsneck18, that’s why any pro Redskins post get deleted.

28. skinsfansince71 says: Apr 21, 2013 6:09 PM

seahawkshurtpeople says: Apr 21, 2013 3:37 PM

Maybe they can resign Albert Haynesworth to help that defense out. -snicker-

What a bunch of loosers.

Hail to the SEAHAWKS!

Wow how many Super Bowl ring do the Seahawks have? Thats right they have none.One Super Bowl trip and y’all think that you are the best team in the league.

29. macwomack says: Apr 21, 2013 6:56 PM

floridaslonechargersfan says: Apr 21, 2013 2:27 PM

——
    dude you do know for years that the Redskins were the number one franchise in $$$ terms in the NFL don’t you?

In fact it might just be Cowboys, Redskins, NE, now … which means they are very far from irrelevant — it means that they are a cash cow that subsidizes the other teams. For you this is particularly important because it helps keep the Chargers in San Diego – where they do not maximize revenue.

30. bert1913 says: Apr 21, 2013 10:32 PM

i remember when russell wilson was picked ahead of cousins, the msu players went nutts. one of them even threw up upon hearing the news that russell was picked ahead of cousins.

now we get to see who the better quarterback really is. my money is on wilson.

31. srg608 says: Apr 22, 2013 12:45 PM

I think Florio meant that Kelly and the birds would win if RGIII and Cousins are unable to play. Basically slamming Grossman and White. Either way, at this point in the year – no one knows nothing. I’m betting the Eagles play well under Kelly, but it will take a year or two to get back in contention.

32. thirdistheworrd says: Apr 22, 2013 1:30 PM

bert1913 says: Apr 21, 2013 10:32 PM

now we get to see who the better quarterback really is. my money is on wilson.
    _________
    Not sure where you’re getting your insider information on the MSU football team, but it’s irrelevant. I’m a die-hard die-hard Redskins fan, but money would also be on Wilson. It’s a stupid comparison: Wilson will be a superstar in the NFL for years to come, Cousins looks like he could be a capable starter.

Wilson was supposed to be picked before Cousins; he was picked before Cousins; and he is almost unquestionably a better quarterback than Cousins. So what exactly is your point: that Cousins is a bad quarterback because his college buddies overestimated his draft value?

33. bobonmycob says: Apr 22, 2013 2:37 PM

Redskins… Better then the cowboys but still trailing behind the Eagles & Giants. Skins get owned in the division every year so they are my last worry. When have the skins done anything worth mentioning besides last year when they killed their prize QB? You made the playoffs and I congratulate you but skins fans are jumping the gun if they think they are just going to blow past a superior intellectual coach and his brand new style. Skins will be the first team Kelly makes look dumb on defense when they cant keep up and/or figure out how to stop the offense. Chip will be exposed at about the half season mark and we will see how good he is at keeping people guessing and continuing to score points.

34. dwats says: Apr 23, 2013 3:01 AM

Good thing you guys signed that stud Rex Grossman for another year. I’m sure he’ll be starting by week 4.

35. skns2thend says: Apr 23, 2013 11:32 AM

I think the SKINS are wasting cap space with Grossman. He isn’t worth crap and never has been for Washington. I’m a die hard fan, but hell…bring him on as an assistant or a QB coach if he’s needed for extra support. Really, though, what’s he going to teach???RGIII to slide maybe?