John Madden says “I love you” at Pat Summerall’s memorial

summerallmadden Getty Images

In 1994, when John Madden and Pat Summerall broadcast their final game together on CBS, Madden closed by saying, “I’m not going to say I love you, but I like you an awful lot.”

Madden saved the fondest farewell for Saturday, at Summerall’s memorial service.

Bye, Pat. Rest in Peace. I love you,” Madden said, via the Star-Telegram.

Madden joked during his eulogy that he was going on too long — as he was known to do during his 22 years as Summerall’s partner.

“I got up this morning and I thought, ‘Pat, I need you,’” Madden said. “I couldn’t get the tie straightened, a button buttoned. It was the same old thing. . . . I know Pat’s up there saying, ‘brevity, brevity, brevity.’ But just one more time I’m going to talk over you.”

And with that, the best broadcasting duo in the history of American sports said their last goodbye.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “John Madden says “I love you” at Pat Summerall’s memorial”
  1. barrywhererufrom says: Apr 21, 2013 8:34 AM

Nice tribute..we will miss summerall’s class and voice..RIP

2. jacksonjames4 says: Apr 21, 2013 8:39 AM

as so many people on here like to say. “GOD SPEED”

3. boogymanoflamancha says: Apr 21, 2013 8:42 AM

“the best broadcasting duo in the history of American sports”

By far

4. thegonz13 says: Apr 21, 2013 8:45 AM

The end of an era. Sundays really won’t be the same.

Godspeed, Pat!

5. wayupsouth says: Apr 21, 2013 8:59 AM

These two guys were the voice of autumn Sundays, just like Keith Jackson was the voice of autumn Saturdays.

RIP Pat Summerall.

6. 1uniquename says: Apr 21, 2013 9:05 AM

I didn’t watch football until I was 12 but I knew of both of these guys before then from videogames and the big playoff games that we’re on in the background. Pat will be missed, even when not directly talking to someone his calm voice and cool character was even heard by a young child paying no attention to his broadcast.

7. 44mpo says: Apr 21, 2013 9:06 AM

Pat Summerall on CBS and Curt Gowdy on NBC. Two voices of football that I’ll never forget.

8. kevingreene160sacknoHOFclub says: Apr 21, 2013 9:07 AM

10, 20, 40 years from now on a lucky day when you still hear Pat Summerall’s voice it will be like time travel. His style will stand and point to that distant Brokaw-like era of our parents and grandparents when broadcasts were a little less self-important, with announcers who cherished the role as much as the game. Pat Summerall is first in the Pantheon.

9. blakeinfla says: Apr 21, 2013 9:09 AM

Pat Summerall was like a grandpa just hearing his calm voice put you at ease. He was a legend. Growing up he was involved it seems in all my favorite things. Watching football on sunday, playing madden hell my first drivers education class had a Pat Summeral video on not drinking and driving. Rest in Peace Pat.

10. redwinglion says: Apr 21, 2013 9:11 AM

It absolutely amazes me how good this broadcasting team was. Honestly, watch some video on youtube of this group and then compare them to the absolute jokes like Jim Nantz and Joe Buck.

RIP, Pat. I’d say “you’ll be missed” but you’ve been missed from the moment you retired. That won’t ever change.

11. rboyett says: Apr 21, 2013 9:27 AM

RIP Pat. You’re loved and missed..

12. fdugrad says: Apr 21, 2013 9:42 AM

Kind words Mr. M, for a sad day. RIP Mr. Summerall.

13. rocketdogsports says: Apr 21, 2013 9:46 AM

As always, John Madden knew talent when he saw it. Two class acts, who worked to the benefit of the sport. Pat Summerall has an honored place in the annals of the NFL for all time.
    Goodby Pat, we will be less without you.

14. kingpel says: Apr 21, 2013 9:47 AM

Legend.

15. nflofficeadmin says: Apr 21, 2013 9:54 AM

Goodnight sweet prince.

16. DonRSD says: Apr 21, 2013 10:26 AM

Pay even did the introduction for The Masters a few times.
    One of the best voices in sports, along with Vin Scully.

RIP Giant

17. joetoronto says: Apr 21, 2013 10:49 AM

Nothing but class from the winningest coach in the history of the NFL, John Madden.

RIP, Mr Summerall.

18. natijim235 says: Apr 21, 2013 11:11 AM

Summerall’s passing will only be upstaged when Madden passes away – RIP

19. ttoptom says: Apr 21, 2013 11:27 AM

I still feel disappointment when I turn on a football game and there is a voice other than Pat & John.

On a different not – the article states that John said “I like you an awful lot” while the linked NYTimes piece says it was Pat. Anyone know the truth?

20. johnnybandwagon says: Apr 21, 2013 11:40 AM

Loved listening to Mr. Summerall. Rest in peace my brother.

John Madden= once a Raiders always a Raider!

21. jamaltimore says: Apr 21, 2013 12:00 PM

If there was a big game on Sunday growing up in the 80’s Pat Summeral was covering it. His voice and consistency was the NFL. He was big figure in any sports fans life who grew up during that time and before. RIP

22. smartanis says: Apr 21, 2013 12:09 PM

Madden/Summerall was one of those rare combinations of personalities that was as timeless as it was perfect. They were, together, the voices of Sunday afternoon for multiple generations of NFL fans, and even though there are some excellent broadcast teams out there right now, no one has figured out how to be as great as those two were.

23. oldcat157 says: Apr 21, 2013 12:17 PM

I remember Summerall and Madden as the most boring announcers for football and that was the reason their last broadcast was in 1994. Too dry.

24. jodave5 says: Apr 21, 2013 12:26 PM

RIP Mr. Summerall. How in the world has it been almost 20 years since they last broadcast a game together? Where has time gone?

25. rgledz says: Apr 21, 2013 12:57 PM

Respect!

26. brintfatre says: Apr 21, 2013 1:35 PM

Loved hearing him on NFL network in recent years. Many fond memories of the duo calling games growing up… especially around Thanksgiving!

RIP Pat, we already miss you!

27. egomaniac247 says: Apr 21, 2013 1:35 PM

I saw it on NFLN yesterday.

Very tough to watch a person grieving so much. That was true human spirit displayed there.

28. lunarpie says: Apr 21, 2013 1:41 PM

True CLASS.

29. jjb914 says: Apr 21, 2013 2:54 PM

Listening to Pat & John announce the Cowboys game was a Thanksgiving tradition. Rest in Peace Pat. You will be missed.

30. ironman721 says: Apr 21, 2013 3:18 PM