Jarvis Jones says Pittsburgh would be a “great place to play”

Jones Getty Images

Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones wants to develop a speed bull rush, like the move used by former Steelers (now Bengals) linebacker James Harrison.

And that could be useful for Jones, since plenty of people think he could be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh.  So does Jones, who talked about the possibility on Tuesday’s PFT Live.

“If the Steelers took me, it’d be a great place to play,” Jones said.  “I love playing in the 3-4 system.  I definitely understand a lot concepts and the things that they do up there, being that I played in the 3-4 system.  I mean, it wouldn’t be much of a transition from the scheme part, but I think the Steelers are a great place to play especially on defense. . . .  Whoever picks me I think I’m gonna take full advantage of it and sacrifice everything to be great.”

The current buzz is that the Steelers are Jones’ floor, at No. 17 in round one.  His ceiling is believed to No. 9 or No. 13 because, yes, there’s increasing chatter that the Jets could take him.

Some wonder whether the Saints would make a play for Jones at No. 15.  If that’s what they’re planning, folks in position to know are picking up no indications that it could happen.

In a couple of days, we’ll find out what actually does happen.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Jarvis Jones says Pittsburgh would be a “great place to play””
  1. Chris Henry's Wild Ride says: Apr 23, 2013 4:20 PM

If this guy ends up in Pittsburgh, I’m done with the NFL. I swear the whole league is rigged.

2. Stiller43 says: Apr 23, 2013 4:20 PM

Hope its him or Vacaro at 17…would like to go safety, though.

3. 509seahawks says: Apr 23, 2013 4:28 PM

No means No Big Ben

4. seaeagle707 says: Apr 23, 2013 4:28 PM

Nah, you don’t want to go there. Its cold and humid during the season, and the streets are slippery and full of slush. If they can’t wave their towels, the fans start dissing the Steelers. Oh, and then there’s Men’s Room Ben, who’d be your boss. Forget Pittsburgh, go to Buffalo.

5. Steeley McBeam says: Apr 23, 2013 4:29 PM

Smart man.

6. saints25 says: Apr 23, 2013 4:29 PM

Welcome to New Orleans Jarvis Jones

7. brownoholic says: Apr 23, 2013 4:35 PM

I heard Jones’s family members are talking the Steelers out of being interested…

8. menofsteelx6 says: Apr 23, 2013 4:39 PM

It would be nice to see you in a black and gold uniform Jarvis!

9. crownofthehelmet says: Apr 23, 2013 4:40 PM

In other news, Jarvis Jones scored a 30 on his wonderlic.

10. morganstan100 says: Apr 23, 2013 4:42 PM

Uh, Mr. Jones. By “3-4 system,” the Steelers mean they will be 3-4 going into week 8.

11. sloppydogg says: Apr 23, 2013 4:49 PM

Who Dat wearing a Saint”s uniform, Jarvis Jones welcome to the big easy Bra………….

12. blackngold4life says: Apr 23, 2013 5:03 PM

LMMFAOOOO!! BUFFALO?? them sport mfs ain’t sniffd a playoff since they missd wide right! That place is Death for any young star with hopes of Amy type of meaningful career.

13. rockthered1286 says: Apr 23, 2013 5:04 PM

Whoever ends up missing out on Jones will suddenly see their fanbase starting up the “he has back issues, we didn’t want him” garbage. Mark my words.

14. crownofthehelmet says: Apr 23, 2013 5:06 PM

“Even with a 3-4 record, we’re still 2 games ahead of Baltimore in the division?”

“That’s right Jarvis, they suck.”

15. ravensdominate says: Apr 23, 2013 5:13 PM

Pittsburgh would be a great place to play if you want to lose to the Champions twice a year.

16. Nofoolnodrool says: Apr 23, 2013 5:18 PM

You are sadly mistaken because the fans you are describing reside in Charm city. No one has ever marked your words before why start now.

17. morganstan100 says: Apr 23, 2013 5:23 PM

Do all the Steelers need to have the standings explained to them like that? I thought it was only the fans that couldn’t read.

18. modellforprez says: Apr 23, 2013 5:39 PM

Would be a great addition but i know all to well the one we as fans eye the most never makes it usually cause we are in the mid to late twenties but with the ? marks surronding him he might slide. although i would trade up to get dion jordan but he should go quick too

19. rayswhitesuit says: Apr 23, 2013 6:23 PM

ravensdominate says:
    Apr 23, 2013 5:13 PM

___________________________________

I don’t think Pittsburgh lost twice to the Champions THIS year… Didn’t Charlie Batch beat them?

20. Nofoolnodrool says: Apr 23, 2013 6:32 PM

rayswhitesuit | Apr 23, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
    ravensdominate says:
    Apr 23, 2013 5:13 PM

___________________________________

Ravensdominate has a very low IQ and absolutely o memory other than his last beer. How can any one take him seriously

21. ebrownwareagle says: Apr 23, 2013 6:36 PM

STILL The BEST LB in the Draft!! It’s a reason teams consistently pick either in the top half or the bottom half of the Draft yearly! If your are in the Top 10 and a Pass Rusher is what you need, pass on this guy if you want and let a playoff team get him. And you’ll probably be picking in the Top 10 again! This Dude is a STUD! Next to J Clowney he was the BEST defensive player in the Nation!

22. bobzilla1001 says: Apr 23, 2013 7:23 PM

What worries me is that most of the best pass-rushing outside linebackers in Steelers history (i. e. Gildon, Porter, Harrison) have been the ones least talked about coming out of college.

23. 13arod says: Apr 23, 2013 10:14 PM

come to the steerls

24. lovefootball4life says: Apr 23, 2013 10:50 PM

Out of the 8 draft experts I care to follow only one, Gil “the godfather” Brandt has him lasting until the Steelers pick. I’d say chances are slim he will still be on the boards but if he was it would be a nice score.

25. blackngold4life says: Apr 24, 2013 4:47 PM

Mayok has him going 15th to the Saints..and Vaccaro goin 16th to the Rams..the only 2 Defensive players worth takein in round 1..Unless the go DB and take Desmond Trufant..I could live with that. Still think WR is the way to go