Jones admits draft will factor into Free’s future

Doug Free AP

There’s no question Doug Free’s play grade doesn’t match his pay grade.

How much smaller that pay grade gets, however, will depend in large part on the draft.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones admitted as much during yesterday’s press conference, saying players chosen this week will have a huge impact on Free’s future.

“I think it’s notable that we haven’t said where we are and he hasn’t said where he is relative to his status as we go into this draft,” Jones said, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “That’s by design and certainly we wanted to see how and what we do in the draft.

“We were talking about it as late as this morning. If you draft a tackle, how does that impact a player like Doug, whether or not you move him around? I’m sure he’s looking at it there as well.”

Free was a mess last year, and finished the season splitting time at right tackle with Jeremy Parnell. And with a $7 million salary that they’d like to reduce, it’s clear they’re leaning on him.

With several veteran tackles on the market, and a draft full of players in front of them, it’s obvious the Cowboys are in a position to ask him to take less.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Jones admits draft will factor into Free’s future”
  1. ijahru says: Apr 23, 2013 11:24 AM

or they are in a position for him to tell them to kiss his butt and lose him for good. If my boss publically said they were looking for my replacement and were gonna reduce my salary I would ask him for the courtesy of releasing me now so I could find employment elsewhere.

2. bart3976 says: Apr 23, 2013 11:26 AM

If he has any honor he would take a pay cut…or AT LEAST, tell the team you won’t before the draft

3. ncheelsboysfan says: Apr 23, 2013 11:44 AM

The Cowboys owe him little or nothing. He played like crap most of last year and still made $7 mill.

The Team needs to do whats best for them. See how the draft and FA go then decide. Free had his chance and blew it. Its either pay cut as backup or adios IMHO for Mr. Free. No way hed get the 3-4 mill a year Winston wants on the FREE Market! =)

4. rwhited2 says: Apr 23, 2013 12:04 PM

The bigger issue in this mess is that Jerry continues to insist on being the GM as well. You can fool some of the people some of the time Jerry, but time has shown us Cowboy fans that the two things that Jerry Jones has 0 talent for is recognizing talent and negotiating player contracts. If the Cowboys weren’t consistently digging themselves into these kind of holes with Jerry’s bad management decisions, it wouldn’t really matter that this ONE player turned out to be a bust. Instead Free is quite literally the straw that is breaking the camel’s back….

5. doomsdaydefensetx says: Apr 23, 2013 12:06 PM

That’s right Jerry you tell em.

6. ixprodegyxi says: Apr 23, 2013 12:11 PM

Who honestly feels he can get employment elsewhere the cowboys have all the leverage on there side they will slide him to guard he’ll take a pay cut and they will sign eric Winston after the draft….who said being a GM is hard

7. jam11163 says: Apr 23, 2013 12:11 PM

as an eagles fan, the nfc east would love to see free stay and start in big D.

8. nflofficeadmin says: Apr 23, 2013 12:48 PM

Crazy like a fox. Jerrah!

9. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Apr 23, 2013 1:18 PM

Giving Free that huge contract in the first place was a master stroke by the Cowboys GM.

10. gammynomnom says: Apr 23, 2013 1:51 PM

ijahru says: Apr 23, 2013 11:24 AM

__________________________________

Well, for guys like Free,the fast food industry is always hiring.

11. marylandcowboy says: Apr 23, 2013 1:57 PM

The Cowboys don’t need Frees answer right now because regardless of what he decides to do Dallas won’t cut him till June the 1st for cap reasons. With that being said I think Dallas will wait and see who they might have fall to them in the draft and if they don’t get the tackle they want in the first round they will have the option to sign a player like Winston in free agency. They should be able to sign some real O line help once they get rid of Frees 7 million dollar cap hit.

12. fosteraustralianfortouchdown says: Apr 23, 2013 5:25 PM

I am not a dallas fan, but free free! Sign winston to play rt, and draft a lt, and once and for all give romo a solid line so he isnt running for his life forcing pass’s trying to save the game. If he had a half way decent o-line he would be a dangerous qb. Jerry step down and get a real gm……PLEASE!…..Dallas fans deserve better.

13. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 23, 2013 9:12 PM

I wonder if Jerry drafts a tackle, will he trade Free or move him to guard which has been mentioned? I think it would be best to just part ways with Free if they get a decent tackle in the draft.

Best tackle options in the draft are DJ Fluker in the first or Terron Armstead in the 2nd.

In free agency Dallas has looked at Clabo and Eric Winston.

14. trollaikman8 says: Apr 24, 2013 2:08 PM

What compounds the issue is that moving Free and getting a more competent RT doesn’t solve the problem at Center. Good teams have good centers. Dallas has Rudy and some bums off the street who literally outperformed him when he went down.