Kurt Warner can’t see how Ryan Nassib is a first-round pick

New Era Pinstripe Bowl - West Virginia v Syracuse Getty Images

A lot of mock drafts have former Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib going at No. 8 to the Bills. But one former NFL quarterback doesn’t think Nassib should go a lot later. At least 25 picks later.

Kurt Warner was asked on NFL AM to explain why Nassib may be a first-round pick, and Warner answered, “I don’t know if I can.”

Warner said he has watched a lot of Nassib’s game film and hasn’t come away impressed — certainly not impressed enough to justify spending a first-round pick on him.

“Watching film of this guy — not overly impressive on film,” Warner said. “If you’re drafting a quarterback in the first round, you’re drafting a franchise quarterback, a guy who you believe can win Super Bowls for you. Otherwise, why draft a guy that high? You need a guy that can do everything, and I didn’t see on film this guy having the ability to do everything. He didn’t wow me when I saw him on film.”

Of course, it would be shocking if any team other than the Bills used a Top 10 pick on Nassib. But the reason Nassib may be a Top 10 pick is that he played for Bills coach Doug Marrone at Syracuse. Marrone may see something special in Nassib that evaluators who haven’t been around him every day for four years are missing.

If there is something special about Nassib, Warner is, indeed, missing it.

“I want to see that wow factor from a guy I’m drafting in the first round, and I just didn’t see it from Ryan,” Warner said.

If other teams view Nassib the way Warner does, the Bills might be able to grab him in the second round.

Permalink 75 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
75 Responses to “Kurt Warner can’t see how Ryan Nassib is a first-round pick”
  1. MichaelWrites says: Apr 23, 2013 10:06 AM

Did Warner say, “I have no idea who’s going to bag him?”

2. eaglesnoles05 says: Apr 23, 2013 10:07 AM

Later, and article that reveals a little more about how Warner really feels about the kid.

3. skinsfanwill says: Apr 23, 2013 10:08 AM

I agree. If he had a WOW factor, his team wouldn’t have been 8-5 in a weak Big East conference. I personally think he has a great agent. Akili Smith all over again.

4. bgrubb says: Apr 23, 2013 10:10 AM

Obviously no one saw a predraft “wow” factor in Warner either…

5. mykelane says: Apr 23, 2013 10:13 AM

I wonder what he thought about Ponder, Gabbert, or Locker

6. dnelson21 says: Apr 23, 2013 10:18 AM

I think Nassib can be a decent QB in the NFL, but I don’t see any chance of him being a franchise-type QB. He has a very weird release, and way too much tape of him making a questionable choice. I’d take a late 2nd – early 3rd on the guy, but don’t waste too early of a pick on him. No QB’s are worth the 1st round this year.

7. eatitfanboy says: Apr 23, 2013 10:19 AM

They’ll draft him #8, then float some story about how all of these other teams were interested and he never would have made it to the second round.

And Bills fans, who for better or worse are some of the most loyal in the NFL, will buy the story hook line and sinker.

Sometimes having a fan base that refuses to hold management’s feet to the fire for bad decisions is a good thing, sometimes it’s not.

8. mwatts1 says: Apr 23, 2013 10:20 AM

And then every Bills fan cheered. Buffalo could get this guy late in the 1st round. Why pick him at #8?

9. broncobeta says: Apr 23, 2013 10:21 AM

I’m confused. Is that a complement coming from Warner?

10. leggett17 says: Apr 23, 2013 10:23 AM

I think Nassib is a White guy – despite his curious last name, but I still think that Warner is a rascist for not mentioning a black QB.

11. blacknole08 says: Apr 23, 2013 10:23 AM

I somewhat agree with Warner. Aside from the Bills, Nassib is probably not worth taking in the first round.

But I also believe that this is a draft where you could reach for a QB in the first, and some teams will spend /trade up to get into the top 10. There are at least 4 QB needy teams. That’s why I would not be surprised if up to 4 QBs are gone by round 1 — that being Nassib, Geno Smith, E.J. Manuel, and perhaps Barkley.

12. dcapettini says: Apr 23, 2013 10:27 AM

Yes, Kurt; I remember when you were picked in the first round…oh wait; second round….no. I guess that all 32 teams missed it 7 rounds in a row.

13. kingsam8 says: Apr 23, 2013 10:29 AM

let him have his Moment, Kurt

14. jjthesportsguy says: Apr 23, 2013 10:30 AM

Quarterbacks in this year’s draft are going to be disappointed if they anticipate being selected in the first round. I think the first quarterback will be taken after pick number 15.

First off, there aren’t teams that deperately need one. Everybody has a guy that is either serviceable or they’re hoping will pan out.

I could certainly see plenty of teams trading up in the 2nd to nab quarterbacks, because as I said, I anticipate more of them still being available.

15. buddysguys says: Apr 23, 2013 10:32 AM

its either draft a Franchise QB in the 1st rd or sign an un drafted grocery store clerk….that’s the only way you win the big one.

16. convincedofthehex says: Apr 23, 2013 10:33 AM

And Kurt Warner was drafted in what round?

17. mrbgood315 says: Apr 23, 2013 10:34 AM

This coming from the guy who was a “franchise quarterback” who wasn’t even drafted at all???

18. dbones750 says: Apr 23, 2013 10:36 AM

Wasn’t there a story posted this morning stating the Bills were trying to trade down? Maybe they agree with Kurt.

19. buffalowned says: Apr 23, 2013 10:37 AM

I like kurt warner but maybe he is still a little bitter about going undrafted? A guy is a first round pick if a team makes him a first round pick. If you’re willing to take a guy to be your franchise qb in the 2nd round why not do it in the first? Having watched nassib all season, i’d be fine with the bills taking him 8th. He might not be the 8th highest rated player in this draft but it’s a QB run league and the best way to get one is through the draft.

20. michaeljacksonisback says: Apr 23, 2013 10:39 AM

Kurt should remember where he came from. I as a Rams fan can remember thinking “this guy sucks” then he won a Super Bowl. Most ex players are terrible talent evaluators

21. habsfanatic says: Apr 23, 2013 10:42 AM

The ONLY reason you draft any of these QBs in the first round is to create the PERCEPTION that they can be franchise QBs. Warner is right to say Nassib’s not a first round pick in terms of talent, but a team may pick him there (at their own risk) just so that the team and others will view him differently than if he went in round 3.

22. jpaq68 says: Apr 23, 2013 10:43 AM

Kurt needs to try to see the situation one dementionaly – kind of like the way Doug Marrone sees everything.

23. mungman69 says: Apr 23, 2013 10:47 AM

Don’t be surprised if a few QBs go in the first round.

24. orangehawk4 says: Apr 23, 2013 10:52 AM

It seems like every “expert” is afraid to like a quarterback in this draft class, but they all love picking one to hate on. Haters.

25. crownofthehelmet says: Apr 23, 2013 10:55 AM

Um… by being picked with one of the first 32 picks, that’s how. Good thing Warner could hand the ball off to Faulk, or he’d still be bagging groceries.

26. jackbassett says: Apr 23, 2013 11:02 AM

Giver Warner a break. He was asked a question and gave an answer.

27. 315judman says: Apr 23, 2013 11:06 AM

After reviewing Kurt Warners film I found he consistently bagged people’s bread in with heavy jars of pasta sauce.

28. jg725 says: Apr 23, 2013 11:10 AM

“The exception to this has to be the Jets, but I’m still holding out hope that they sign Jamarcus Russell so that they have the biggest joke of a quarterback situation in NFL history. ”

They might already hold that title…..

29. shayeezy says: Apr 23, 2013 11:10 AM

i’ll have some of whatever greg cosell was smoking when he called nassib the best QB in the class. any GM who would choose him over geno smith deserves all of the criticism and misfortune that would inevitably come their way.

30. ss376 says: Apr 23, 2013 11:11 AM

Every GM is hoping to hit that home run, so if you’re a QB over six feet and can write your name, you’ve got a shot of going in the first round. That’s how Tebow ends up getting drafted before Navorro Bowman, Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski. See also Gabbert, Ponder, Sanchez, Locker, Weeden, etc. It happens every year–there’s some head scratching move like the Browns using their first rounder on a 32 year old rookie QB.

So I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Nassib, Smith, Barkley or Glennon end up being picked in the first round. I’m kind of hoping they do, so real talent will slide down to the Giants at #19.

31. 2ruefan says: Apr 23, 2013 11:11 AM

I remember ANOTHER SU QB that all the “experts” said wasn’t a “pro” QB. Mostly because they never saw Syracuse play. He only walked right in and led his team to championship games….

32. birdfancardinalshawkeyes says: Apr 23, 2013 11:18 AM

Kurt may not have been drafted BUT he did take 2 different teams to the Super Bowl, won a Super Bowl, & won the NFL MVP Award 2 times. How many of you bad mouthing jackasses have ever done that???? STHU, the man was asked a question & answered honestly. A trait a lot of prognastacators lack……..honesty

33. MyTeamsAllStink says: Apr 23, 2013 11:19 AM

Honestly you can plug in any QB in this draft and say the same thing

34. pkrjones says: Apr 23, 2013 11:26 AM

ANY team taking a QB in the 1st round will be disappointed… there’s MUCH more team-changing talent at other positions to grab in the 1st. I could see a run at QB in the 2nd round, but Buffalo is sitting in a good spot to grab their future (present) QB there.

35. chc4 says: Apr 23, 2013 11:43 AM

What does Warner’s draft position have to do with his evaluation of Nassib? Bunch of morons posting that. So I guess Cade McNown or Jamarcus can have an opinion as former 1st rounders, but not a HOFer? Real bright people y’all are.

36. shallweride says: Apr 23, 2013 11:44 AM

Crownoftthehelmet: If Warner was the product of a deadly running game how did he take the Cardinals to the super bowl with 0 running back talent

37. killitandeatit says: Apr 23, 2013 11:45 AM

“Clean up on aisle 7 “. Shut up Kurt. Kurt was a great qb. and his rise in the NFL was a Cinderella story. That being said,I’m unimpressed with his football film breakdown skill set and draft day chess match knowledge. The reason q.b.’s go so high is because other teams are drafting. If you have any need at qb. you must pull the trigger early or you will be looking at your prospect wearing another team’s jersey.

38. nflgiant says: Apr 23, 2013 11:47 AM

Look at all the jackass comments bagging Warner.What a bunch of crybabbies,probabaly their QB on the team,they worship, never came close to what Warner accomplished,and you have to respect what Warner says,the guy is no dummy!

39. clssylssy says: Apr 23, 2013 11:53 AM

I think there is very little WOW in this year’s QB class because everyone is hoping for a RGIII, a Wilson, Kaepernick, Tannehill, etc. and it’s just not there. These QBs are “good enough” that with the right team, the right coach, the right support system they can be developed into quality QBs. They are just going to maybe take a little longer to find their legs and some may fall in the crush of the big time. I have to agree, I don’t see anybody out there that knocks my socks off but then, this is what it is and what teams have to work with. Football is changing and under normal circumstances it’s a big leap from college to the NFL; time to put on your big boy pants if you want a career and go get it…like Kurt did!

40. cmdrsmooth says: Apr 23, 2013 11:54 AM

This QB is a sleeper. buffalo is crazy not to take him with 8th pick.

41. skoobyfl says: Apr 23, 2013 11:55 AM

Kurt can’t stand these high pace guys.

42. true9erfan66 says: Apr 23, 2013 11:57 AM

Not saying Warner shouldn’t have been a first rounder now that u look back on her career. So teams messed up but with Kurt saying no I wonder if he remembers that he proved people wrong. I don’t think nassib is anything special but Kurt should stay away cause he forgot I guess that ppl can prove the experts wrong

43. hehateme2 says: Apr 23, 2013 12:06 PM

Leave it to the Jills… and they wonder why they haven’t sniffed the playoffs for 13 years.

However, they are not the only team that has had problems in finding that “special franchise ” QB.

44. majormeatcurtains says: Apr 23, 2013 12:12 PM

A lot of mock drafts have former Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib going at No. 8 to the Bills. But one former NFL quarterback doesn’t think Nassib should go a lot later. At least 25 picks later……
    Huh? Make no sense. He doesn’t think he should go later but the whole article is Warner stating that he’s not a 1st rounder. Who edits this stuff?

45. bryantrulen says: Apr 23, 2013 12:17 PM

I agree with Kurt here. I have lost respect for Greg Cossell as well as he has moved Nassib to the top of his QB rankings.

Nassib has many great qualities about him. I have thought that he is a slightly less athletic version of Jake Locker.

He definately can’t run like Locker can and from a throwing standpoint hes very similar if not even less polished as a passer than Locker.

I have watched every single one of Nassib’s throws against USC, and watched him practice during Senior Bowl Week and to me, he is too limited from a throwing standpoint and from a feet standpoint to be a good NFL QB. I don’t think he will go in round 1

46. whatjusthapped says: Apr 23, 2013 12:21 PM

The same scenario applied to the Vikings and Ponder. The Vikings jumped the gun and grabbed Ponder @ #12 overall and had they been thinking straight, would have waited till the second or third round because nobody thought that much of him. and after watching him play in the NFL, it was all justified.

47. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Apr 23, 2013 12:24 PM

Considering how hard the media rides Michigan’s nuts I’m surprised they’re not calling Denard Robinson a first round pick even though he’ll probably go in the fifth or sixth and play receiver not quarterback.

48. djax10isthebomb says: Apr 23, 2013 12:31 PM

The Bills won’t have to worry about Nassib being gone in the 2nd round even, he’ll be available in the 3rd. Ryan is a mediocre QB with pretty crappy game film, Kurt Warner speaks the truth.

49. bloodisred says: Apr 23, 2013 12:35 PM

Most of you have missed the point. Warner wasn’t asked to compare his qualities to Nassib’s or to his own non-draft/NFL Europe/Arena/Bagging experience. He was aksed, “to explain why Nassib may be a first-round pick” and as an analyst, he gave his honest, analytical opinion.

50. skinsfaninnebraska says: Apr 23, 2013 12:38 PM

Don’t hate on Kurt Warner for this! He was asked a question and he gave his honest opinion.

Think about last draft, when it was obvious to everyone that Luck and RGIII were “wow factor” QBs. I haven’t seen anything in any of this year’s QB prospects that approaches even 50% of the wow factor from Luck or RGIII.

51. EJ says: Apr 23, 2013 12:41 PM

Kurt Warner didn’t have the wow factor himself, but ended up having a pretty decent career right? Yes, game tape doesn’t lie, but game tape doesn’t tell the whole story, only part of it. A lot of a Quarterback’s success comes from the people you surround him with…Coaches, Offensive line, etc. Warner of all players should know that.

52. jmac34 says: Apr 23, 2013 12:47 PM

one word Warner: desperation

53. purplekoolaid1 says: Apr 23, 2013 12:48 PM

Hey, at least it’s not another Revis story. :o)

54. billsfan1 says: Apr 23, 2013 12:59 PM

The only reason Warner got a chance was cuz Trent green got hurt. These kids all deserve a chance.. The same one he got

55. mwatts1 says: Apr 23, 2013 1:00 PM

Clearly Ryan Nassib’s mom and dad are all over this site. I don’t get the beatdown Kurt’s taking for his analysis of this extremely mediocre QB. Kurt’s story from rags to riches is a great one. Now commentators want to bash him for being undiscovered? I will bet anyone that Kurt’s career will be 100% times better than Ryan’s when it’s all said and done. Go ahead Ryan’s mom, defend that….

56. MyTeamsAllStink says: Apr 23, 2013 1:06 PM

Nassib is a franchise QB!and Buffalo you would be wise to trade up to get him before so other team does!We are willing to work a deal with you!

Oakland

57. ketch20too says: Apr 23, 2013 1:21 PM

SU COMPLETELY changed the offense late in the off season of his senior year. He adjusted well, and while I can’t see #8, later in the first doesn’t seem unreasonable

58. cmscully37 says: Apr 23, 2013 1:25 PM

Signed,

Mrs. and Mr. Warner

59. zzr600guy says: Apr 23, 2013 1:34 PM

I think it’s likely that Buffalo trades back up into the bottom of the first to get Nassib. I’m hoping they trade GB their 2nd and 3rd for #26.

60. theknowhow64 says: Apr 23, 2013 1:42 PM

Sounds like Kurt Warner is on this site trying to defend a senseless article.

61. skleech22 says: Apr 23, 2013 1:43 PM

Remember where you came from Kurt, you would not have been able to get that eye lift and chin tuck if it wasn’t for someone taking a chance on you! Not to mention a shot instead of packing grocereries at the IGA! You almost had three super bowl rings if it wasn’t for the Patriots filming your walk through and Santonio making a heckuva grab!

62. sportsnut101 says: Apr 23, 2013 1:50 PM

I didn’t even know syracuse had a qb this season

Of course he’s not 1st rd talent. But if u only one pick in first round n late 2nd round. Pick. U might be Forced to pick him early. It depends on how the draft goes.

N the people who analyze these kids coming out of college are bit to harsh Just because people say ur a good gm doesn’t make u a good gm. I would be good gm if I drafter either of the manning qb’s

Another note on Warner. He was lucky to get a shot n made the most of it. If it wasn’t for dick vermil liking to give people chances u would be on welfare

63. granadafan says: Apr 23, 2013 2:03 PM

Most mock drafts? More like one guy, McShay, made his own mock draft and a bunch of other “experts” just copied him with a few minor tweaks here and there. They do the same with Kiper’s drafts.

64. johanvil says: Apr 23, 2013 2:19 PM

Warned should have explained though why Nassib didn’t impress him. Lots of generalities in what he said.

65. buffalomafia says: Apr 23, 2013 2:32 PM

Doesn’t anybody read what scouts say about Nassib? Numerous scouts say he cant throw the deep ball!

The only reason why Bills are going to draft him is cause we have no name on the cheap coaches who don’t know jack & will draft him cause they coached him!

Come on Ralph Wilson wake up from your nap & realize you need a real GM, a real coaching staff & some real scouts!

66. theknowhow64 says: Apr 23, 2013 2:39 PM

Don’t see it? Maybe he’s just like you. Remember when nobody “saw it” with you? Squint your eyes and look a little closer. Lol…

67. nananatman says: Apr 23, 2013 2:50 PM

Did Warner get drafted? What round?

68. raideralex99 says: Apr 23, 2013 3:07 PM

Lol … Only 2 more day left of reading this garbage.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion … I dont understand why people make a big fuss out it.

69. mmarzouk1 says: Apr 23, 2013 3:17 PM

Warner comes out as a bitter guy….. All he does is to criticize players especially QBs !!! Someone please remind him that he lost more SBs than he won. He criticized former teammates like Eli for no reason but pure jealously very bitter for a guy who had three o four good years, won a SB by the skin of his teeth and lost two (he was big favorite against the Pats but was out played) .

70. hedphurst says: Apr 23, 2013 3:39 PM

ss376 says:
    Apr 23, 2013 11:11 AM

If you’re gonna exaggerate, go big. If you’re trying to be accurate, get your facts straight. Weeden will turn 30 a couple days before the Week 7 game in 2013. He was 28 when the Browns drafted him. He’s still old for a 2nd year player, but it’s not that hard to get this stuff right (or at least make it obvious that you’re trying to be funny if you’re exaggerating, and go with something more than just 4 years off).

71. maka445 says: Apr 23, 2013 6:18 PM

The majority of this year’s QB Class may not have first round qualities, but they certain aren’t without talent. There may be one, perhaps two of the QBs that could bring some surprises. Luck, Griffin III, Wilson, Weeden and Tannehill has brought their respective teams into better position since 2011, they were each at the bottom of their division, except Seattle.

Gino Smith, EJ Manuel, Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib, all have the same chances to provide as much for an NFL Team, as the 2012 QB Draft Class. Washington and Indianapolis were two of the surprising teams that made the Playoff using their rookies, who were in the top five of their Draft Class. Wilson took over a team, in his rookie year, that continue to be in the shadow of San Francisco. Yet, no talent evaluator can discern the differences between Kaepernick and Wilson as the better QB in their division, except as a team where San Francisco remains at the top. Both QBs have a good supporting cast and a defense to complement them.

It’s anyone’s guess when it comes to evaluating QB’s talent across the board. When someone says that Gino Smith is the top QB in this class and another says that EJ Manuel has better upsides than Gino Smith, nobody knows aside from the truth, which is the better QB. Whether they’re first, second, third or forth round material, it usually depends on how a team’s supporting cast will help a drafted QB. Cleveland and Miami has some good supporting cast for their rookie QBs, there’s much for them to improve on. Indianapolis basically overhauled it’s team, in expectation to drafting Luck and went to the Playoff. Washington in 2011 had quite a stir with their QBs, splurge on a gamble to obtain Griffin III and went to the Playoff. Nothing is etched in stone, until you know what you have and can build on them.

72. plorquet says: Apr 23, 2013 6:33 PM

This is coming from a QB right,not a coach.This team has way more need than a Qb in the first round how many bad picks have the Bills blown in the first round.Please tell me they will pick safe or move down to get more picks.Most of this kind of talk is a smoke screen I would hope.

73. kev86 says: Apr 23, 2013 6:59 PM

Says the former grocery bagger.

74. irishnativeson says: Apr 23, 2013 7:56 PM

Let’s all take a deep breath and just relax for a second. Hard not to like Kurt Warner’s cinderella story and by all accounts his comeback with Arizona, not to mention his, up until now, evenhanded commentary on the NFL channel. That being said, I’d hope he might at the very least, attempt to avoid evaluating QB’s entering the draft considering his history. The man is entitled to his opinion but I gotta say this about that, remember where you came from, remember what it took for you to get there and consider at least two things when evaluating prespects. One it’s not the size of the of the dog in the fight it’s the of the fight in the dog and two that’s a hard thing to know looking at film alone.

75. jackbassett says: Apr 23, 2013 8:43 PM

Funny how we gobble up the evaluations offered by Kiper, Mayock, McShay, Banks and others who have had little or no NFL playing experience but Warner–a 3 time starting SB quarterback–gets attacked for offering his assessment of another quarterback.