E.J. Manuel says of Eagles: “They want me pretty bad”

E.J. Manuel AP

We’re well inside the grain-of-salt time before the NFL Draft kicks off tomorrow night. This might require more than a grain.

Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel said earlier today he was feeling good about his chances, and when asked specifically about the Eagles, replied: “They want me pretty bad.”

“But I think it’s just a matter of who takes me first, because I know the Eagles may want me, the Cleveland Browns may want me, the Buffalo Bills and the Jets,” Manuel said, via Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com. “I think those are all sequential picks, you know what I mean, within those top 13 picks or whatever. I’m just hoping one team loves me, because really, that’s all you need, one team to fall in love with you.”

Such is the eye-of-the-beholder quality of this year’s quarterback class.

For months, people have ripped them. And others defended them. Largely based on how much they need one.

And while Manuel might think the Eagles love him, it’s hard to imagine they’d love him enough to use the fourth pick in the draft on him. But they also pick 35th, and they might love him more in that spot.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
48 Responses to “E.J. Manuel says of Eagles: “They want me pretty bad””
  1. tdsnbeers says: Apr 24, 2013 5:04 PM

I love him from those comments alone

2. blackngold4life says: Apr 24, 2013 5:08 PM

he’ll start in 2 years if not sooner..I say he’s a jet and plays by Week 14

3. greenbleeder says: Apr 24, 2013 5:09 PM

Yo E.J.,

If you’d like the Eagles to draft you, keep yo’ name out Howie’s mouth.

4. walker615 says: Apr 24, 2013 5:09 PM

Well one thing is for sure: he doesn’t have any confidence issues.

5. officialgame says: Apr 24, 2013 5:10 PM

I would be shocked if anyone wants EJ bad enough to take him in the first round. Fits a Chip Kelly style offense, big guy who can run with lots of upside but has poor mechanics and is not a day 1 starter.

6. thesteelers says: Apr 24, 2013 5:10 PM

They don’t want you now.

7. therealraider says: Apr 24, 2013 5:12 PM

Between Dion Jordan, EJ Manuel and Lane Johnson.. one things for sure.. the Eagles are doin a great job smoke screening.

8. souldogdave says: Apr 24, 2013 5:13 PM

Naive kid.

9. prmpft says: Apr 24, 2013 5:14 PM

…sounds much like “oh yeah, she wants me…”

10. mackcarrington says: Apr 24, 2013 5:18 PM

He may be this years “Russell Wilson”.

11. bs2j2 says: Apr 24, 2013 5:20 PM

Why are people so in love with this guy? He’s going to be another Vince Young in the league. He’s got bad mechanics, folds when pressured, and isn’t very accurate. And before you stat hounds start spouting off about his completion percentage go watch some FSU games and see the size of the windows he had to drop passes in.

12. timb12 says: Apr 24, 2013 5:21 PM

E.J also thought the waitresses at Hooters were “really digging” him.

13. ocho says: Apr 24, 2013 5:28 PM

Based on his overall inconsistency at FSU im willing to bet the Cowboys, Giants, and Skins want him to go to the Eagles pretty bad too.

14. norseyapper says: Apr 24, 2013 5:29 PM

Seriously, if one of those teams “love him” they’ll show it by trading up 10-15 places to get back into the bottom of the first round to take him. It would be hard to believe that he or Nassib could go in the top 15 picks.
    If they are just liking him a lot they’ll stay put and hope he’s there in the top half of round 2.

15. ampats says: Apr 24, 2013 5:29 PM

Sounds like someone is a little full of themselves.

16. treesloth16 says: Apr 24, 2013 5:31 PM

That’s what she/he said.

17. romosmicrodongs says: Apr 24, 2013 5:34 PM

EJ blew his own homecoming two years ago and last year kept FSU out of the national title talks by throwing five picks against NC State wolfpack.

I hope philly takes him

Signed an FSU alum who lived in tally the last four years, and as an nfc east foe 8)

18. onearmsteven says: Apr 24, 2013 5:35 PM

this QB draft class is so terrible if EJ manuel is anywhere near the top 10.

19. EJ says: Apr 24, 2013 5:41 PM

I like Manuel, but not as much as Nassib or Glennon.

20. andyreidsskinnyjeans says: Apr 24, 2013 5:42 PM

Sounds like Donovan.

21. vaphinfan says: Apr 24, 2013 5:49 PM

They want you pretty bad in the second round.

22. helloanybodyhome says: Apr 24, 2013 5:51 PM

Pretty sure they don’t love him at #4…they may like him a lot at #35 though.

23. 21stnprime says: Apr 24, 2013 5:52 PM

come on now. dude couldnt beat out christian ponder

24. jkaflagg says: Apr 24, 2013 5:53 PM

These type of comments give me pause…..everyone knows that the NFL draft is filled with smokescreens, false flattery and flat-out lies, teams trying to deceive other teams about their “interest” in certain players in order to hide their real intentions and/or entice a team to give them a draft pick to move up and take him first…..as a QB, Manuel should be smart enough to realize this. It’s always interesting after the draft when the press asks a player, “how much interest did (your draft team) show in you before the draft” and the answer is often “they never contacted me”….

25. captainwisdom8888 says: Apr 24, 2013 5:53 PM

EJ Manuel couldn’t fit any more perfectly into the new scheme being employed by Chip Kelly. I just hope Philly can get him n the 2nd round.

I think the Eagles are looking around at all of the young stud QBs that have entered the league in the past few seasons, including guys they passed up on like Kaepernick and Russell Wilson who have already blossomed into special players…and now the Birds know they HAVE to get their hands on a potential future star at QB. Foles doesn’t fit at all into the new scheme, and he may be traded tomorrow during the draft.

26. tmac4454 says: Apr 24, 2013 5:55 PM

He was a decent qb under Fisher system. In my opinion, I wanted him to be a beast like Tajh Boyd. I feel he kind of scared of getting hurt. I am glad he was our qb and he is getting drafted. Go Noles…EJ…

27. rkt4mayor says: Apr 24, 2013 6:09 PM

If the Eagles can nab him in the 2nd round or later than cool.

But, they don’t need to do any trades to get him.

28. steelfan66 says: Apr 24, 2013 6:14 PM

Warren Moon is “flabbergasted.”

29. r8rsfan says: Apr 24, 2013 6:16 PM

Does he believe in the easter bunny too?
    Humility is his best quality.

30. mikelitoris1 says: Apr 24, 2013 6:29 PM

This guy has bust written all over him. I didn’t want him when he was projected to be a 3-4 rd pick and I’ll probably drive to Radio City just to boo him if/when the Iggles trade back into the 1st to take him.

I hope he proves me wrong in the end though.

31. mcg1848 says: Apr 24, 2013 6:50 PM

Drafting E.J. Manuel at #4 would have to be the fastest and best way to kill whatever goodwill Chip Kelly has before he even gets going. If he and Howie did that, they would be run out of town.

2nd Round fine, at #4…fans start burning jerseys.

32. cav2ya says: Apr 24, 2013 7:02 PM

Yeah the Eagles Love you,.. as long as you ride the bench in dec and january to keep it warm for the other 4 QBs already on the roster..
    So yeah, that’s just what the Eagles need…

DoH!

33. garyhd01 says: Apr 24, 2013 7:03 PM

maybe the eagles will package their 35th pick next years second rounder and say a 4th rounder to trade up to my rams at 22 if they want him bad

34. jimmylions says: Apr 24, 2013 7:23 PM

He’s in for a rude awakening tomorrow night. And Friday night is going to be even more painful when he doesn’t get selected in round 2.

He’s a 3rd round pick at best, and it’s possible that he falls to Saturday.

35. beerbudsnbevo says: Apr 24, 2013 7:24 PM

They are taking the Linebacker from Oregon with the first pick….

And then they would have to trade up because he will be gone by then.

I bet somebody is going to come out of nowhere and snatch him. Not the Eagles.

36. phillyphannn83 says: Apr 24, 2013 7:26 PM

which means they DONT want him.

37. teaboy215 says: Apr 24, 2013 7:28 PM

Yeah, it’s easy to say he’s confident. With the MEDIA!! I wanna know why they should draft? I wanna know how confident and resilient he is after making mistakes(INT’s, Fumbles, Penalties, etc). I don’t want a QB who is confident on camera backstage and interviews, you gotta be confident and know how to rebound from your mistakes.

38. saints4life57 says: Apr 24, 2013 7:41 PM

” They want me pretty bad!” So do the Browns, Jets, and Bills! Just a matter of whoever drafts me first! LOL, Really buddy is that how the draft works? So he is saying whoever drafts him first is prob. the team that wants him? Dude def. isn’t going to be hired on his smarts!

39. saints4life57 says: Apr 24, 2013 7:44 PM

Hey NFL teams! I’m trying to raise my stock in the draft this year because our draft class is so bad we need to say things to make ourselves look better! HEHEHE!

40. trollaikman8 says: Apr 24, 2013 7:59 PM

Yeah they want you in the middle of the 3rd rd.

41. rollore says: Apr 24, 2013 8:03 PM

I want Shariff Floyd. He’s a Philly local and will probably become the best DT in the draft.

42. caster262 says: Apr 24, 2013 8:13 PM

FSU fan here… I wouldn’t draft him before the 5th…

43. scmems07 says: Apr 24, 2013 8:16 PM

i said the same thing when it came to all the WWE diva’s…….soooooo…….all im saying is dont get your hopes up kid.

44. saints4life57 says: Apr 24, 2013 8:18 PM

I like the comment the other guy made! I don’t think anyone should be drafted in the 1st round! They should start with round 2 and save all the teams a whole lot of money!

45. jrmalo23 says: Apr 24, 2013 9:13 PM

Nah. No thanks. You remind me of Dante Culpepper. He had to sign his contract with a crayon.

46. snookau says: Apr 24, 2013 10:55 PM

FSU fan here. Manuel is garbage. Watch the 2012 FSU-UF game for what he’s like against real competition. He’s a 5th year senior and has ZERO ability to feel pressure and throw the ball away. No pocket presence and he padded his stats against weak ACC teams and trash teams like Samford.

He’s trying to inflate his own draft stock by saying the Eagles want him. In the 5th round maybe.

Manuel is a bust in waiting. Pure garbage. So glad I don’t have to watch another year of him in Garnet & Gold.

47. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 24, 2013 11:15 PM

Eve of the draft hyperbole from EJ. Deep down he must fear he is going to drop like a lead ballon.

48. buffalobills716 says: Apr 25, 2013 12:25 AM