E.J. Manuel Getty Images

When the Buffalo Bills traded out of the eighth pick in the draft to move down, it seemed they were moving down with the intention of selecting a quarterback.

The Bills were thought to be high on Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib and West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith. Just about every quarterback was linked as a possibility for the Bills at some point in the process. The Bills were able to accomplish their goal of drafting a quarterback, it just wasn’t the one everyone was expected.

Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel become the first quarterback off the board in the 2013 NFL Draft. It’s the first time since 2000 that a quarterback wasn’t selected in the Top 10. Manuel comes in alongside recent acquisition Kevin Kolb and Tarvaris Jackson to compete for the Bills starting job. Manuel is the first quarterback taken by Buffalo in the first round since J.P. Losman in 2004.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
60 Responses to “E.J. Manuel is the first quarterback selected, taken by the Buffalo Bills with 16th pick”
  1. longsufferingbillsfan says: Apr 25, 2013 10:11 PM

I hate talking badly about the kid after that emotion he just showed but my first thought was “great, five more years of futility in Buffalo.”

2. wydok says: Apr 25, 2013 10:12 PM

So much for the Eagles trading back up into the late first round to get him…

3. bgm9876 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:12 PM

finally.

4. roxtar10 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:13 PM

BWA-Ha-Ha-Ha!!!

5. FlyFromTheInside says: Apr 25, 2013 10:13 PM

Wowwwwww……crazy reach. but good for EJ. Hopefully they won’t rush him to play

6. robbietheus says: Apr 25, 2013 10:14 PM

As an Eagles fan, I’m deeply saddened.

7. billsncowboys says: Apr 25, 2013 10:14 PM

Finally the Bills select a QB… Welcome to the Bills EJ Manuel!

8. blacknole08 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:14 PM

Can’t say he’s not the best QB in this years draft now. Bills fans should be happy they didn’t take Nassib.

Proud to be a Nole.

9. NotoriousKDV says: Apr 25, 2013 10:15 PM

And just like that, Buffalo turns a great trade for them into an all time dumb pick. Manuel may very well turn into a good NFL QB but there’s no way he should he picked 16th overall or be the first QB off the board. If Buffalo wanted him that badly, why not trade down again?

But this is Buffalo after all. I guess we should expect inexplicable decisions like this.

10. melkipershero says: Apr 25, 2013 10:15 PM

Uh….. Hmm?

11. reeggss says: Apr 25, 2013 10:15 PM

Yikes, I’m willing to give the kid a chance and I don’t know much about him but when everyone says its a reach it makes me nervous.

12. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 25, 2013 10:15 PM

But what does Warren Moon have to say?

13. huskersrock1 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:15 PM

Bahahahahahahahahahaha

Bahahahahahahahahahahah

This is why the bills are the bills, they could have had him tomorrow

14. fijabbersman345 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:16 PM

LOL

15. adamagedbillsfan says: Apr 25, 2013 10:17 PM

I like this move. anything is an upgrade to what we have now. I’m not saying we are in the Super Bowl but he has serious athleticism. With the coaching and some stout play from the defense, Buffalo could make the AFC East interesting. And get the ball in Spiller’s hands more. That won’t hurt either.

16. minimiggy says: Apr 25, 2013 10:17 PM

Stupid pick. They should’ve picked nassib

17. remyje says: Apr 25, 2013 10:18 PM

Where do I apply to be a general manager? I know I could draft better than this..

18. spellingcops says: Apr 25, 2013 10:18 PM

From a Broncos fan, I hope he becomes your next franchise QB. Bills & Browns fans deserve a good team.

19. americankris says: Apr 25, 2013 10:18 PM

Kiss my butt profootballtalk – Warren Moon

20. egomaniac247 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:20 PM

What cracks me up is the scam that Kiper & Mayock have going this year.

Last year they’d know the pick minutes before it was announced. This year, they still know it but have been told not to spoil it.

So when I heard Mayock say “Watch out for EJ Manuel as the dark horse here!” as Goodell walked out to the podium it cracked me up.

Now Mayock and Kiper can look like “geniuses” for guessing the surprise picks when in fact they’ve just been told who it was.

21. eagles92 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:20 PM

As and eagles fan I will be personally thanking every bills fan I meet. I watched this kid against Florida and he was just awful. So happy right now

22. waitstop says: Apr 25, 2013 10:20 PM

if it’s the guy they want, it’s not a reach. they got who they wanted and added a nice pick. New rookie wage scale changes the dynamics of drafting.

23. coltzfan166 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:21 PM

Absolutely ridiculous pick. Even if Philly had taken him in round two, Nassib or Geno would have still been there for Buffalo to take in the 2nd.

24. nativeraider says: Apr 25, 2013 10:22 PM

Manuel seems to have that “it” factor. That factor than Geno was lacking. He’ll sit a season behind Kolb and be coached up before showing what he can do.

25. fatguystrangler says: Apr 25, 2013 10:22 PM

So much for all the Nassib to Buffalo talk, eh? Talk about smoke-screen.

26. rajbais says: Apr 25, 2013 10:23 PM

I would have liked him picked 20 selections later.

27. egodz51 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:23 PM

I’m a huge Noles fan from buffalo and I’ve said it all along…he reminds me of Donovan McNabb. He’s a true leader and all around threat.

4-0 in bowl games, the kid knows how to win. Thrilled it wasn’t Nassib or Barkley.

28. wwwmattcom says: Apr 25, 2013 10:23 PM

Its not a reach if your team needs a QB and you want this particular QB. If a QB was taken ahead of the bills pick, then you wonder if they were desperate cause they didn’t get their guy.

Solid pick. The team needed a QB. Time will tell if Marrone is to blame or Nix or if they chose wisely.

29. sevenwords says: Apr 25, 2013 10:24 PM

As a Bills fan, I’m happy with this pick. He may be raw, but he’ll have some time to sit behind Kolb before he takes over. Watch his game against Clemson.

30. numberoneinthehoodg says: Apr 25, 2013 10:26 PM

16th? I find this the most disrespectful situation regarding black qb’s! How dare this happen! I want a full inquiry as to why it took this long.

Regards,
    Warren Moon

31. robertocfg says: Apr 25, 2013 10:26 PM

No wonder the kid was crying. I would too if the Bills drafted me.

32. boyshole25 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:26 PM

Great pick, they got their franchise qb

33. ihatethejets23 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:27 PM

Who will get fired first? Buddy Nix or Darcy Regier? Terrible pick.

34. waiting4asuperbowl says: Apr 25, 2013 10:27 PM

Id hate to be a bills fan. Christian ponder anyone???

35. buffalobills716 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:27 PM

#GoBills

36. blanchonegro says: Apr 25, 2013 10:30 PM

WELCOME TO THE BILLS E.J. MANUEL!!! YEAH BUDDY!!!

37. sabanissatan says: Apr 25, 2013 10:31 PM

Anyone who doesn’t think this is a terrible pick needs to watch game film from the last 2 yrs. against Florida

38. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 25, 2013 10:31 PM

Hey, I called Manuel as the first QB off the board a couple of months back. Ask Gantt.

39. thesteelers says: Apr 25, 2013 10:33 PM

While this might be an unpopular pick, I think this is the QB who will have the most successful career.

40. mtheparrothead says: Apr 25, 2013 10:36 PM

4-0 in bowl games eh? Which bowl games were those?

41. steeltown82 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:37 PM

Warren Moon is furious!

42. fruitcovejag says: Apr 25, 2013 10:37 PM

FSU fan here. Hope the Bills don’t play NC State! Seriously though, accuracy will be a problem. He is not a runner either. Great guy though. Not sure about the pick but hoping for the best for EJ

43. aoc57 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:37 PM

What does Warren Moon say about the selection?

44. misterzurkon says: Apr 25, 2013 10:37 PM

I was hoping for Jarvis Jones in the 1st and Manuel in the 2nd, and certainly not Nassib or Barkley. I haven’t seen Manuel play, just read about him (Big Ten country), but I hope he can become a good pocket passer.

45. thesteelers says: Apr 25, 2013 10:38 PM

Marrone had insider information, not on Nassib’s strengths, but his weaknesses.

46. bonerchamp says: Apr 25, 2013 10:39 PM

Whatta joke. This organization is the worst in sports

47. 13arod says: Apr 25, 2013 10:40 PM

this guy no question is going to start for the bills

48. normaneinstein7 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:41 PM

Congrats Bills. I’m glad the Eagles didn’t get him.

49. billsfan1 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:53 PM

one game huh? oh wait, i forgot you have Nick Foles waiting in the wings.. good luck with that bro

50. rsb06d says: Apr 25, 2013 10:54 PM

As an FSU fan I can vouch that the guys gonna work his ass off and he’s smart, but he’s not worth the 16th pick.

51. j0esixpack says: Apr 25, 2013 11:00 PM

Experts are giving this the grade of “G”

52. buffalodiehard says: Apr 25, 2013 11:05 PM

Dear haterz,
    People said the same thing about joe flacco when he was drafted in the first round.

Sincerely,
    The real logical voice.

53. footballfan80 says: Apr 25, 2013 11:26 PM

Please go easy on the Bills fans. Forget about winning a playoff game, they haven’t even appeared in the playoffs in nearly 1.5 DECADES. It is probably a reach pick according to 99% of football pundits, but it gives hope to a fanbase of maybe appearing in the postseason before a second decade passes.

54. rcali says: Apr 26, 2013 12:13 AM

Wow. What has happened to the Bills. I actually do feel bad for Bills fans. No idea what ur team is trying to do. Canada called, they no longer want you playing in their country.

55. phillyphannn83 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:04 AM

billsfan1 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:53 PM

——————————
    OK then, let’s do some comparisons…
    Both have identical career completion % – 66.9
    Career passing yards: Foles 10,011 Manuel 7,741
    Career TD/INT: Foles 67/33 Manuel 47/28 (20 more tds, only 5 more picks)
    NCAA Rankings: Manuel only qualified in the top 10 in the NCAA 3 times in 2 categories , Foles 23 times in 10 categories including twice being 1st overall, 3 times being 2nd, and 4 times being ranked 3rd, 4 times ranked 4th, and 5 times ranked 5th. Thats 18 Top 5 rankings. Manuel’s rankings: 8th, 10th, and 10th.
    Oh, and Manuel was a 4 years starter, Foles only 3

So tell us again why EJ Manuel is better than Nick Foles, we’re all dying to know…

56. realfootballfan says: Apr 26, 2013 2:31 AM

Manuel would have been there in round 2. Has all the tools, but as much as Jimbo Fisher hindered him much like Kiffin did with Barkley, Manuel is missing something.

It will be on the coaching staff to get the most out of him because everybody’s job is riding on his shoulders. Just ask Rex Ryan how that works out when your QB pick busts, and they made two AFC championship games together.

57. mackcarrington says: Apr 26, 2013 3:58 AM

Out of all of the QB’s in this draft, which one was the “can’t miss, sure bet, solid all-star,All-Pro” ?Somebody respond back. Which one??

58. buffalomafia says: Apr 26, 2013 7:07 AM

Hmmm! Why trade 8th pick when we needed a WR?

As someone said in early post we could have picked a QB today?

59. keepyerstickontheice says: Apr 26, 2013 8:35 AM

I like the deal to trade down. Not sure about the pick. All the QB’s this year are flawed, hopefully they picked the skinniest kid at fat camp.

From WP:

“In 2004, three players Nix drafted were selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl. In 2005, six players Nix drafted were selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl. In 2006, eleven players Nix drafted were selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In 2007, eight players Nix drafted were selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl.”

He better be right on Manuel, or Doug Whaley may be getting a shot at next year’s draft.

60. steelerben says: Apr 26, 2013 11:27 AM

As much as I don’t love it at 16, if you can’t trade any further back, and you know that Jacksonville, Philly, Arizona, Cleveland and the Jets all pick before you in round 2, you gotta do what you gotta do to get your guy.

This isn’t a throw a dart at a board and hope for the best kind of pick. They obviously think this guy is the future of the franchise. He’s big, has a strong arm, decent speed, and is loaded with the intangables that you look for in a QB. His accuracy might not be the best, but they have time to work with him on mechanics while renting Kolb for a while.

He won’t be starting out of the gates, barring an extremely good camp and preseason for him.