Vikings’ second pick is Florida State CB Xavier Rhodes

Xavier Rhodes AP

For the second time tonight, the Minnesota Vikings have added a defensive player who should start from Week One.

First Minnesota drafted defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd with the 23rd overall pick, and now the Vikings have drafted Xavier Rhodes, a cornerback from Florida State, with the 25th overall pick.

After saying goodbye to veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield, the Vikings wanted to add a youngster at the position. Rhodes is a solid choice who should be able to start as a rookie.

There was talk that Minnesota was high on Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o, but Te’o remains unpicked. Instead, the Vikings have gone with Floyd and Rhodes.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Vikings’ second pick is Florida State CB Xavier Rhodes”
  1. melkipershero says: Apr 25, 2013 10:56 PM

Looks like Minnesota also isnt stupid enough to take Teo. Congrats Vikings fans!

2. filthymcnasty1 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:57 PM

I can’t believe the Vikings didn’t take Te’o. He would have been a perfect alternative lifestyle fit in the Land of 10,000 Imaginary Girlfriends.

3. rtl1984 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:58 PM

Bad news for Manti if the Vikings didn’t want him

4. blacknole08 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:59 PM

Rhodes is a beast.

That now makes three Noles taken in the past hour! Tied with Bama for the most 1st rounders so far.

5. contra74 says: Apr 25, 2013 10:59 PM

MN is building a solid young D!

6. rmosss says: Apr 25, 2013 11:02 PM

Spielman is the man…..I love this picks he’s made!!

7. marader78 says: Apr 25, 2013 11:02 PM

oh no….. not Mantis Te’o… could the media force this Guy down our throats anymore?The Guy got blown up against Alabama… teams don’t want him yet…. stop Te’oing us every pick …. Geez

8. vikes69 says: Apr 25, 2013 11:02 PM

would have prefered ogletree, but its better than teo!

9. skolvikes says: Apr 25, 2013 11:03 PM

Look at the upset Packer fans in Vikings topics (again).

Vikings crushing this draft. Biggest winners of the first day by far.

10. rmosss says: Apr 25, 2013 11:04 PM

I hope the Honey Badger falls and we can pick him up.

11. waitstop says: Apr 25, 2013 11:05 PM

picking against the pundits is usually a good move.

12. nativeraider says: Apr 25, 2013 11:06 PM

From a RAIDER fan, Nice job Vikes. Most “experts” had them taking Geno and Manti. I hope Floyd works out 4 ya!

13. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Apr 25, 2013 11:06 PM

Amazing first round. I can’t believe both of those guys fell to us. Now if we can trade up to earlier in the second round, we should be able to get a starting middle linebacker or wide receiver.

14. melkipershero says: Apr 25, 2013 11:07 PM

Oh look, another Teo update before a commercial. Im shocked.

15. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Apr 25, 2013 11:08 PM

filthymcnasty1 says:Apr 25, 2013 10:57 PM

______

I know you were saving that joke for weeks, but it doesn’t really work now that we didn’t take him. By the way, I have a real wife and she is SMOKING HOT!

16. axespray says: Apr 25, 2013 11:08 PM

Man…. c’mon vikes, do you really need to get two quality draft picks ahead of us.

Couldn’t you guys go get Teo or Geno, guys that wouldn’t improve your team right away.

17. thepeoplesjunk says: Apr 25, 2013 11:12 PM

Another solid 2 first rounders for Spielman and company…. Both will be starters from day one and help shore up a porous D.

18. thepeoplesjunk says: Apr 25, 2013 11:15 PM

The Vikes may need to trade a 4th rounder to get higher in the 2nd to get a WR and then take Jon Bostic in the 3rd.

19. gdeli says: Apr 25, 2013 11:15 PM

I am beside myself, so excited for our vikes! Sorry axe man.

20. wludford says: Apr 25, 2013 11:16 PM

Rhodes is another great value, need and fit for the Vikings. Spielman had to be shocked either one of their picks was there at #23 and #25.

My only disappointment is that the Vikings were not able to trade back for more picks. Hope the Vikes can pick up an Ogletree or Brown at MLB in the 2nd and WR Dobson in the 3rd.

21. packmangamble says: Apr 25, 2013 11:17 PM

Don’t worry, the Vikings will be stupid enough to trade away a bunch of draft picks to move up to take Teo!!!

22. GenXJay says: Apr 25, 2013 11:18 PM

Top 5 pick fell into Spielmans lap.
    DT that’s a Bona Fide cheese shredder.
    Welcome to the squad.

23. chasechorleone313 says: Apr 25, 2013 11:21 PM

Fresh meat for Calvin J. But I think the kid will be good

24. wludford says: Apr 26, 2013 12:26 AM

————–

No, they were smart enough to trade a bunch of picks to get the #1 deep threat / play maker WR in the draft!

25. fluffy19 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:36 AM

Wow, I bet packmangamble was REALLY excited for about 3 minutes when the vikes traded back into the first round. Only, wait…no Te’o. Skol. #faith

26. theskolbandit says: Apr 26, 2013 1:43 AM

@filthymcTRASHY
    Dude u are the BIGGEST CLOSET VIKING FAN EVER!!
    U post a comment on every single Viking topic on here within 4 mins EVERYTIME!!!
    We’re gonna walk through Green Bays SOFT TEAM this year IT’S A WRAP
    BANDIT

27. filthymcnasty1 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:36 PM

theskolbandit says: Apr 26, 2013 1:43 AM

@filthymcTRASHY
    Dude u are the BIGGEST CLOSET VIKING FAN EVER!!

************************************************

I am very pleased to count you among my reluctant but devoted followers.

28. GenXJay says: Apr 26, 2013 2:29 PM

& we welcome you, tokyosandblaster. You got some Purple on your face.

29. theskolbandit says: Apr 26, 2013 2:37 PM

theskolbandit says: Apr 26, 2013 1:43 AM

@filthymcTRASHY
    Dude u are the BIGGEST CLOSET VIKING FAN EVER!!

************************************************

I am very pleased to count you among my reluctant but devoted followers.

**************************************************

Lol yep ur soooo right I follow ur insightful/brilliant comments ON OUR BOARDS!!! You don’t see me racing to be the first to comment on a packer post. U prove my point for me U CAN’T GET ENOUGH VIKING TALK
    BANDIT